Hua Hin and Cha-am aim to bounce back after bombings

webfact

Hua Hin and Cha-am aim to bounce back after bombings

SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION
HUA HIN

30295619-01_big.JPG

Hua Hin’s hospitality sector wants the destination promoted internationally as it bounces back from last month’s bomb attacks.

HUA HIN: -- THE HOTEL SECTOR in twin resort towns Hua Hin and Cha-am is calling on authorities to promote the destinations internationally in a bid to lure back tourists after business dropped following the series of deadly bomb attacks in Southern Thailand in August.

Udom Srimahachota, adviser to the Thai Hotels Association (THA) and owner of the Baan Talay Dao Resort in Hua Hin, said Hua Hin and Cha-am would remain popular destinations for tourists especially Westerners 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Hua-Hin-and-Cha-am-aim-to-bounce-back-after-bombin-30295619.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-19

5 minutes ago, fish monger said:

Have they begun ripping down all those places along the beach yet...? Or did the owners get another 6 month stay...?

will it help tourism to rip them all down? they are the best place to go for dinner in hau hin that i know of. wonder who will pay to market hua hin internationally? i really like hua hin and it my be my permanent base when i retire. like some  one else said first step is catching the bombers, not brushing the whole thing under the carpet.

They are quoting a full year occupancy rate of 55-60%. That seems quite low. In addition to the bombings, you have the incident of tourist beat downs, and and the fact that this is still largely an unsolved crime. What Thailand needs to do, is simply admit that a task like finding these bombers is completely, and totally over their heads. They simply do not have the talent, training, experts, nor the proper forensics. In cases like this, they need to just be humble, and bring in experts from Scotland Yard, or the FBI, and simply admit they are nowhere near up for the task at hand. 

As I understand it from a Thai friend with their ear to the ground, there was an explosion in one of the streets leading to the beach at the southern end of the town yesterday morning. It was an ugly climax to the September food festival which attracts hordes of visitors every year.

Apparently, there was some trouble (not unusual) between groups of youths on Saturday night and one or more of them had armed themselves with ping-pong bombs, which I gather are easily obtained or made here.

The police were called to break up the fray and somebody got rid of a couple of ping-pong balls by putting them  in a plastic bag and dumping it inside the open doorway of a local shop selling beach wear and other clothes.

This sleight-of-hand went undetected by anyone until the next morning when the shop owner went to open up with her young son and he took the force of the blast as the door hit the plastic bag and one or both of the ping-pong bombs went off.

The child was injured, but my informant did not know how badly.

As I remarked earlier, it is not unusual for trouble to break out in this usually pretty quiet and reasonably civilised resort when special events are held. Injuries and even deaths are not uncommon as gangs of yobs fueled by drink and drugs, run amok, ruining the fun for everyone else.

This is not a recent phenomenon. My kids stopped going to beach concerts and other events which attract big crowds because of the risk of becoming victims of this mindless violence, which (for reasons which will be obvious to anyone who watches Thai soaps or movies) is as endemic as the banana.

The local law enforcement authorities are clearly too thin on the ground to prevent incidents of this kind, despite the fact that they arguably constitute a far greater to public safety and tourism than comparatively rare and isolated bombing incidents in the Kingdom which are far more widely reported.

I for one am very impressed by the way the various factions in Hua Hin - the police, the local administration, Thai and foreign residents, etc - have allied in a common front to improve the resort's battered image. We could do with a similar initiative in Cha-Am, which is growing at an incredible rate and is clearly in need of better management if it is not to acquire an unsavoury reputation.

6 hours ago, kmj said:

I read yesterday that 2 small explosives were found in Cha Am yesterday 1 detonating and injuring a young child, anyone else hear this?

I didn't hear this, was it reported somewhere or a word of mouth kind of thing ?

Archived