New British Ambassador makes first visit to Phuket

rooster59

New British Ambassador makes first visit to Phuket

Chutharat Plerin

1_2016923164936527_lBMXkPRekLDFgBBijmjknwCsIttWENYpPkNzzeek_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET: British Ambassador Brian Davidson made his first official visit to the island today.

The ambassador met with Phuket Vice Governor Chokdee Amornwat this morning at Phuket Provincial Hall. At the meeting with provincial officials, Ambassador Davidson highlighted concerns over public safety in Phuket, raising his worries over the island’s jet-ski operators, taxi mafia, the lack of public transportation and the ongoing issues over the legality of real estate purchases.

The ambassador also asked officials if they had any concerns over any policies since he took up his post in June. 

Ambassador Davidson’s comments echoed those of former British Ambassador Mark Kent, who derided the province’s Tuk-tuk and taxi operators as continuing to undermine the progress of Phuket’s tourism industry (story here). 

In 2013, the British, Canadian and Dutch Ambassadors to Thailand plainly described their chief concerns about the scamming and cheating plaguing the tourism industry (story here).

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/New-British-Ambassador-makes-first-visit-Phuket/65618?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-09-24

In the ranking of diplomatic career paths, a Thailand posting is a measure of....oh s#&t what happened to my career?

Even if LoS had potential high value in the effort-reward stakes for nations, they know the futility of dealing with extreme pigheaded stubbornness incompetence, and...well..."Thainess" at the Government level.

Give up on the high flying dream, and just accept the short term cushy number, whilst there is the historic plushy Brit embassy grounds still there to enjoy. Keep the official papers flowing, play gracious host, attend when called, ...you know the routine.

4 hours ago, useronthenet said:

Perhaps you can ask him why the UK has decided to sell-off the embassy in Bangkok ?

Because the UK is broke ... 

I'd like to ask him why there are no regular consular visits to Phuket.

Why I can't renew my UK passport in Bangkok.

Why no proper consulate in Phuket.

But I know the answers - UK is broke.

Edited by LivinginKata

54 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Because the UK is broke ... 

Why I can't renew my UK passport in Bangkok.

Why no proper consulate in Phuket.

It's all about the money, money............................

UK government couldn't give a crap about the general public and even less about a bunch of expats. Forget any idea of service. Expect all costs associated with passport renewals, visas, consular services to keep rising, whilst expat tax probably goes the US way - pay up or you won't be a citizen wherever you are.

The Tories seem determined to follow through on the Brexit disaster and everyone will have to pay and suffer the consequences. Ain't life grand when your're a politician - the decisions never affect you.

On 9/24/2016 at 1:19 PM, Baerboxer said:

It's all about the money, money............................

UK government couldn't give a crap about the general public and even less about a bunch of expats. Forget any idea of service. Expect all costs associated with passport renewals, visas, consular services to keep rising, whilst expat tax probably goes the US way - pay up or you won't be a citizen wherever you are.

The Tories seem determined to follow through on the Brexit disaster and everyone will have to pay and suffer the consequences. Ain't life grand when your're a politician - the decisions never affect you.

I forget the exact net saving by leaving to EU but it is something close to £9 billion a year (£18 million a day). The UK is not broke despite Tony Blair and mostly Gordon Brown's best efforts to see that it was before they left government. The UK is in a better position even compared to many other EU countries, have a look at France, Spain, Italy or Greece's finances.

Since New Labour sold off the frontage of the embassy it is time to modernize the rest of the facilities. 

I wonder if Mr Davidson took his "wife" with him on the trip?

:wai:

8 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I forget the exact net saving by leaving to EU but it is something close to £9 billion a year (£18 million a day). The UK is not broke despite Tony Blair and mostly Gordon Brown's best efforts to see that it was before they left government. The UK is in a better position even compared to many other EU countries, have a look at France, Spain, Italy or Greece's finances.

Since New Labour sold off the frontage of the embassy it is time to modernize the rest of the facilities. 

I wonder if Mr Davidson took his "wife" with him on the trip?

:wai:

UK is not saving anything  yet. Article 50 has not even been triggered, might be next year, with a 2 year withdrawal.

For sure UK is in much better economic shape than some other European countries.

I expect the ambassador and entourage traveled commercial flight, business or first if available

On 9/24/2016 at 0:21 PM, LivinginKata said:

<snip>

<snip>

Maybe they haven't figured out that consular visits can be a nice little earner as well as a perk for staff.

Based upon what I've seen at the regular US consular visits to Phuket, they see 75-100 people in their half-day session. On average, the fee for services is just under 2,000 baht (primarily for notarial services), so the total take is probably 150-200K. They normally stay at Le Meridien, (don't know if they stay 1 or two nights) so I would think a nice little perk for the 2 staff members that make the trip. A win-win for everyone. 

7 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Maybe they haven't figured out that consular visits can be a nice little earner as well as a perk for staff.

Based upon what I've seen at the regular US consular visits to Phuket, they see 75-100 people in their half-day session. On average, the fee for services is just under 2,000 baht (primarily for notarial services), so the total take is probably 150-200K. They normally stay at Le Meridien, (don't know if they stay 1 or two nights) so I would think a nice little perk for the 2 staff members that make the trip. A win-win for everyone. 

Sounds good .... but the UK embassy rake in those fees anyway ... up in Bangkok as we all have trek up there for those sort of services, or have an agent do it. At great cost to the UK citizens.