My car and Motorcycle will be parked for 6 months. Any preparation needed?

tomwct

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Seizetheday said:

For 6 months you should probably jack your car up, otherwise your tyres will be flat spotted and ruined.

If you disconnect your battery you may have problems with your stereo once you reconnect.

That is why I suggested over inflating the tyres, it works...

As for battery disconnect, just read the handbook...

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Is it recommended to fill up with benzene (without ethanol)?

I always read that fuel with ethanol should not be in the tank for too long.

I hate to contradict... fuel left in the tank may drip down slowly into the motor thereby washing away the molecule thick slick of oil in the cylinders. Happened to a friend of mine that didn't believe me, he had to redo the motor. I suppose spraying oil into the cylinders after removing the spark plugs might help. As for the tank rusting I have never experienced that.

10 minutes ago, cooked said:

I hate to contradict... fuel left in the tank may drip down slowly into the motor thereby washing away the molecule thick slick of oil in the cylinders. Happened to a friend of mine that didn't believe me, he had to redo the motor. I suppose spraying oil into the cylinders after removing the spark plugs might help. As for the tank rusting I have never experienced that.

In a car this is impossible, scooter maybe but I highly doubt it unless there is a mechanical  reason.

I would not leave tank empty as it could start to corrode, I agree with filling the tank.. with benzene not gasahol or any fuel heavily blended with ethanol.

18 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

In a car this is impossible, scooter maybe but I highly doubt it unless there is a mechanical  reason.

I would not leave tank empty as it could start to corrode, I agree with filling the tank.. with benzene not gasahol or any fuel heavily blended with ethanol.

I was thinking about the motorbike actually.

A completely drained motorcycle tank will not corrode so best to drain it and run the carb(s) dry. 

As for the battery, after removing be sure to top it up with a charger and store it in a cool place if possible. 

If the car is a diesel then you may be better off changing the oil before you store it since the acids in used diesel motor oil can be damaging to the engine while stored. 

Transam offered great advice on over-inflation of tires.

I always leave windows cracked open just a hair if its stored inside.

Overinflate tyres and jack it up with concrete blocks , to spread the weight . More for the bearings than the tyres , because mine are old and need replacing.

Battery disconnected , but 6 months means replace once you're back.

Never had a problem with stereo . After 3 month of no use , aircon was different.

Diesel tank is plastic , but I always fill it up . Don't know what is best ... fire hazard or maybe some condensation which gets filtered out ?

Take rubber mats out , they smell after a while in closed car. This is Thailand ... don't let anything open or you'll be welcomed by spiders , little gecko' s,....

Make sure engine is hot before parking .

Car cover .

Seal the exhaust pipes to prevent moisture from entering the mufflers, especially if parked outdoors.  Disconnect positive (+) battery cables from battery terminals.  Be ready with jumper cables when you return.   50/50 chance you will need them, unless your batteries are very new.  Fill fuel tank.  Top off crankcase oil/all fluids.  Plan on changing engine oil when you return.  If you have good quality tires I wouldn't worry about flat spots.  Just over inflate before you leave.  Same for your spare tire.

Leave the battery on a trickle charger / maintenance charger, DRAIN all of the fuel or add a can of gas stabilizer. DO NOT LEAVE FUEL IN THE TANKS! Drain it completely, you could open the spark plugs on the bike and pour in some clean engine oil and crank it over without firing it up, stops the bores rusting.

Fuel left in the tank will go bad after a few weeks and all of your fuel system will become gummed up if you leave the fuel in it.

4 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Can you buy fuel Sta-bil in Thailand?

You could buy STP if I remember, probably put some REDEX in it if you cannot find anything else. You used to be able to get SEAFOAM on E-bay, but it wasn't cheap and not many were willing to ship it - I got a pint in a brown jiffy bag from  the USA for about 20 dollars.

6 minutes ago, SteveSamui6262 said:

Seal the exhaust pipes to prevent moisture from entering the mufflers, especially if parked outdoors.  Disconnect positive (+) battery cables from battery terminals.  Be ready with jumper cables when you return.   50/50 chance you will need them, unless your batteries are very new.  Fill fuel tank.  Top off crankcase oil/all fluids.  Plan on changing engine oil when you return.  If you have good quality tires I wouldn't worry about flat spots.  Just over inflate before you leave.  Same for your spare tire.

If you are only removing one cable then it is supposed to be the negative, right?

When I come to Thailand for a long term stay, I make sure to change the oil and filter and give it a good cleaning. I do this a few days before leaving. On the day of departure, I drive to the airport shuttle company and park. My nephew picks my car up, a couple of days later and drives it back home. Before he parks in my unheated garage, he adds fuel Sta-Bil that is made for ethanol and fills the gas tank. He connects a float charger to the battery to maintain charge and also lifts the windshield wipers off the glass. My radial tire pressure is 35 psi and I do not over inflate and have never experience flat-spots , after long term storage. Last year, it set idle for 9 months before my return. My nephew, then drives the car back to the shuttle company the day before I return.  I live in the Midwest USA and the car sits through 3 different seasons July thru April and always starts and drives with no negative issues and so does my GS1250 Suzuki that I store with Sta-Bil and put on a float charger.

6 months is nothing.

If petrol you best leaving tank low as possible and adding new on return.

Disconnecting battery is good but be sure it well charged and recharge on return.

Over inflating tyres slightly not bad tip and running bike till stalls also can be useful.

New oil in any vehicle not bad idea before long standing as indeed diesel sulphurs and petrol in the oil are good solvents .

Leave handbrake off bit in gear & wheels chocked

Storage location is most important, out of sun rain rodents etc, couple windows in car dropped few mm will help keep interior fresh, having someone keep eye on thing would be good too .

I've stored car for over 1yr in not best conditions and never had any problems from it .

Transam and stats9 advice is pretty much spot on without elaboration.  

The make/model/fuel type of car would help with advice but over-inflation of tyres to say 40psi is ok.  Steel belted radials do not suffer from prolonged deflation like early cross-ply tyres which precipitated the jacking up of a vehicle stored long term.

A modern diesel, full tank, disconnect battery.  

For a petrol engine car running leaded 91 I'd fill with 95 as long as storage is undercover and secure.  The RON value will dissipate with age.

Humidity is an empty fuel tanks worst enemy long term as expansion/contraction draws air in thru the breather.  Air contains water which condenses inside the tank.  This is really only a problem in situations where a vehicle goes thru cycles of extreme hot days and cool nights during rainy season. A litre of metho in the petrol tank upon return will help eliminate any water.

I have never seen a rusted steel tank from short-term near empty storage.

I leave my car and big bike for 3-6 months at a time and the only problem was the batteries. I got tired of buying new ones all the time so I take them out and put them on a trickle charger on a timer that runs 30 min a day. 

2 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

6 months is not a big deal.

6 mths is nothing, just cover and brim the tank with best fuel you can access (petrol/diesel) depending where you are, on bike disconnect battery, I'd leave on a car - when you get back then give battery a bench charge, prime the vehicle (kick it over a few times on a scooter just to prime the carbs/motor) then connect battery and give it a wizz, I leave my scooter 3-6 mths every so often and have had the bike for 8 years now doing that with no issues, my car in UK I just leave and when back it normally fires up first turn (but I do maintain my vehicles and change oil/filters more than book states)

Archived