What happened to Ekamai bus station ?

Penefattore

Landing at Don Muang airport and having to reach Pattaya I have always taken bus A1 to Mo Chit then Skytrain to Ekamai and from there a bus to Pattaya Nua. Latest two times however I have noticed Ekamai station traffic almost disappeared , and now buses to Pattaya are just one per hour instead of every 20 minutes. Also service went quite down , last time bus stopped halfway 20 minutes for some unknown reason.

What happened ? have buses for southeast been relocated elsewhere ?

While it has been a few years since I have travelled from Pattaya to Ekamai, or Pattaya to Morchit, the latter can be done in almost the same time as the former, despite the longer distance.  The reason is that going to Morchit, the bus can stay on the elevated expressway until he is within about 500 metres of the terminal. Going to Ekamai he has to crawl through city traffic for the last half hour or so.

Edited by allane

I take the BKK-Pattaya-BKK bus 3-4 times a month. Haven't noticed any change in skeds or passenger traffic. I travel in mornings though, 9 am to 1 pm range. Buses leaving every 10-15 minutes. If the OP goes at night, that's definitely a different story.

As Allane notes above, go to Mo Chit and take the express bus to Pattaya. One time for me, it took only 1 hour, 50 minutes to Pattaya. Most days Ekamai to Pattaya, it takes 2 hours, 15 minutes to as much as almost 3 hours.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

On 9/29/2016 at 6:48 PM, allane said:

While it has been a few years since I have travelled from Pattaya to Ekamai, or Pattaya to Morchit, the latter can be done in almost the same time as the former, despite the longer distance.  The reason is that going to Morchit, the bus can stay on the elevated expressway until he is within about 500 metres of the terminal. Going to Ekamai he has to crawl through city traffic for the last half hour or so.

When I take the bus to Ekamai, I generally get off at Udom Suk which is right where the traffic starts getting bad.  Then I hop onto the BTS.

When I used to do that trip, the BTS Sukhumwit line ended at Onnut. The incoming bus stopped there to allow incoming passengers to disembark, but with one important caveat.Only those with no baggage disembarked there, because the driver would not open the baggage holds.  What is the policy on this at Udomsuk ?

2 hours ago, allane said:

When I used to do that trip, the BTS Sukhumwit line ended at Onnut. The incoming bus stopped there to allow incoming passengers to disembark, but with one important caveat.Only those with no baggage disembarked there, because the driver would not open the baggage holds.  What is the policy on this at Udomsuk ?

Same. No undercarriage luggage to be off-loaded. It's the same at all the other stops. I get off at Udom Suk every time, but I just have a small backpack. The run from there to Ekamai can take as much as half an hour, much to my regret a couple of times.

That way is indeed something which only the tipical st.... d farang can think of. Go to MOchit-those buses do of course, just think, NOT pass town on street, but on the expressway elevated.

ALT/plan B is: take free shuttle to Swampy and then any bus from there.

This fenomenon of ever less departures for the big buses can be seen on any busterminal: they are mostly replaced by those vans, always and without exception described as so horrible to entirely avoid by the sworn TV-crowd. MOst tipical in that out of town New Sai Thai- so much that the hoped for shopping centre above is now 70% empty.

Thus there are now so many vans around the Victory Monument (also with a direct bus A2 from the DMK) that traffic gets hindered and they are ordered to move on-to hey presto- the old BUSterminals, like Ekamai. from 1/11 or around.

Also plans to finally, should have been done some 20 yrs ago, to move that Ekamai with its utter traffic hindrance away-to somewhere near BangNa or even Swampy/BUS terminal (also 70% empty and forlorn now) are also in the final stages.

• 1 month later...

The vans now go to Morchit.

I went Pattaya to Morchit on the main bus last week and it took 2 hrs 30 min due to very heavy congestion on the expressway starting near Praram 9 ( I think that's the place - by the Royal Suite Hotel).

On 9/29/2016 at 6:48 PM, allane said:

Going to Ekamai, I always get off the bus at the first BTS, and use the skytrain, but that can only be done if all you have is hand luggage.

Because nobody takes buses any more... Thais in BKK are now mostly rich and can afford BMWs and Mercs. Only the poor, low-educated falangs who are the detritus of their country (hence their relocation to Thailand) take the buses. Fact.

Edited by Thainess

16 minutes ago, Thainess said:

Because nobody takes buses any more... Thais in BKK are now mostly rich and can afford BMWs and Mercs. Only the poor, low-educated falangs who are the detritus of their country (hence their relocation to Thailand) take the buses. Fact.

The OP landed at the airport and wanted to go to Pattaya, are you suggesting he should 

buy a car to make that journey?

What have rich Thais in BKK got to do with it?

20 minutes ago, Thainess said:

I take them fairly regularly.  And I'm a working Petroleum Engineer.  Look up what we make with 30+ years of experience.  Then add a 20% bump for my hardship posting to Thailand.  (Used to be 40% until the price of oil tanked.)  BMW or Merc?  Ho Ho Ho.  Try a 23 year old pickup truck.  Because it's good enough.  

Inter city buses.  They're not just for poor people and detritus.

On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 9:30 AM, MJKT2014 said:

Thai news earlier reported the Ekamai station was relocating to somewhere in BangNa?

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/transport-company-undergo-major-overhaul-compete-low-cost-airlines/

But the new bus station is a pain to get to and will require a taxi ride instead of the convenience of a skytrain station.

Best option now will be to take skytrain to Swampy and bus from there.

Edit: as far as I remember the skytrain / MRT at Morchit is not near the bus station and needs a taxi ride?

Edited by LongTimeLurker

22 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

But the new bus station is a pain to get to and will require a taxi ride instead of the convenience of a skytrain station.

Edit: as far as I remember the skytrain / MRT at Morchit is not near the bus station and needs a taxi ride?

It was 50 baht on a moto taxi to the Mochit bus terminal when I did it a couple of years ago. It's quite far.

23 hours ago, Thainess said:

Not sure where your information comes from (your own imagination perhaps) but if anything, in my experience, there are less westerners and more Chinese and Japanese using the Ekamai to Pattaya bus. And plenty of (presumably) non-rich Thais.

"Low-educated" ?? I think the term you are looking for is "ill-educated" or lowly- or poorly-.

Do try and keep up, there's a good chap.

On 11/18/2016 at 5:13 AM, Thainess said:

Funny that,I was in BKK last week and the buses/stops were crowded with office workers etc waiting and using them.........also Fact :sleep:

4 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

It was 50 baht on a moto taxi to the Mochit bus terminal when I did it a couple of years ago. It's quite far.

Is the MRT at Bangsue a better option?

Sorry I am getting the taxi journey the wrong way round.

Edited by rott

On 11/18/2016 at 0:13 PM, Thainess said:

Quite a rude comment.  I take the bus when I go to Bangkok for embassy business.  I hate the traffic and parking near the embassy is a mess.  Don't really like the bus, but it's easy.  Show some respect.

On 11/19/2016 at 9:40 AM, LongTimeLurker said:

That's what I'm doing now.  Though I drive to the first stop after the airport and park there.  Easy drive home from there.  Quick and easy into town.

The buses here are pretty bad.  Stop at different places depending on passengers, take different routes, and last time, did a 30 minute stop somewhere in Sri Racha to refuel.  I think it was to drop off passengers at a new mini-mart they own to make a bit more money.  Terrible.  Last time I'll take that route.

The poster who stated rich Thais never use the bus is completely wrong and knows little about Thailand and less about Bangkok.  I personally know a few  Thai multimillionaires (Dollar Value) and they use public transportation regularly and that includes bus. These people are very conservative and do not go out of their way to show their wealth. Some but not all  do have high value cars which they use for long trip up country. All of them work hard everyday and I assure you watch their spending- that's how they got wealthy. The Majority of people in Bangkok are not wealthy at all. There are literally millions of people who work in the service industry and factories- they do not own land in Bangkok but rent.

As far as the bus and van situation- the government is trying to solve the traffic situation by relocating the vans from Victory and eventually moving Morchit and Ekkamai bus stations. There are still plenty of bus and vans to all destinations. Time in travel depends on location and traffic conditions.

On 11/18/2016 at 0:13 PM, Thainess said:

Idiotic comment.

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:10 AM, allane said:

Same as On Nut: hand luggage only

On 04/10/2016 at 2:10 AM, asanee said:

That way is indeed something which only the tipical st.... d farang can think of. Go to MOchit-those buses do of course, just think, NOT pass town on street, but on the expressway elevated.

This fenomenon of ever less departures for the big buses can be seen on any busterminal: they are mostly replaced by those vans, always and without exception described as so horrible to entirely avoid by the sworn TV-crowd. MOst tipical in that out of town New Sai Thai- so much that the hoped for shopping centre above is now 70% empty.

Thus there are now so many vans around the Victory Monument (also with a direct bus A2 from the DMK) that traffic gets hindered and they are ordered to move on-to hey presto- the old BUSterminals, like Ekamai. from 1/11 or around.

Also plans to finally, should have been done some 20 yrs ago, to move that Ekamai with its utter traffic hindrance away-to somewhere near BangNa or even Swampy/BUS terminal (also 70% empty and forlorn now) are also in the final stages.

You cannot use the  free Dong Muang- Swampy shuttle unless you can show a flight ticket from Swampy. But I think the 50thb minibus shuttle still runs.

On 10/4/2016 at 2:10 AM, asanee said:

Get back on your medication and be a nice boy and spend some time on your spelling lessons. ?

I used to take the Ekamai bus to Pattaya a lot but have recently starting using the Pattaya bus from Swampy.  Easy to get to even from Don Muang with the shuttle service or Mo Chit to the Airlink Rail.  The bus is a nicer bus but does cost a few baht more.  The nice thing is coming from Bangkok you can get across town easy and avoid the traffic and you;ve covered a lot of the ground on the way to Pattaya.  Also,  that bus comes with service to and from your hotel.