I live close to the beach!

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Good luck to you.

I'm thinking about moving to Florida eventually. 

There seems to be a trend to make Florida the butt of jokes the way it used to be California. 

Oh well. 

I am a Florida resident of 25 years and have never lived close to the beach but people who post on here seem to think that's the place to be. Give me 50 miles from the beach anytime.

I grew up in a beach community in Santa Cruz, California area.  Never ever a problem with Hurricanes so beach life their growing up was awesome. However we do have to contend with earthquakes and some can be dooozzies.

The Eastern seaboard frequently has these hurricanes and appear to be happening more and more frequently. 

Best safe JLCrab

Edited by JAFO
1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

I am a Florida resident of 25 years and have never lived close to the beach but people who post on here seem to think that's the place to be. Give me 50 miles from the beach anytime.

Give me a lake or a nice river over the beach any day.  Sand and salt are no good for moving parts, including the parts inside my undies.  Even if they don't move as often as they used to...

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

I grew up in a beach community in Santa Cruz, California area.  Never ever a problem with Hurricanes so beach life their growing up was awesome. However we do have to contend with earthquakes and some can be dooozzies.

The Eastern seaboard frequently has these hurricanes and appear to be happening more and more frequently. 

Best safe JLCrab

I was living in Alameda, CA when the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake hit at 5 PM and was on the Cypress Viaduct twice early that same morning. So whattayagonnado.

Cypress_collapsed.jpg

Edited by JLCrab
garbled quote

I lived on the north central coast of Vietnam for a year and the typhoons that originate in the filipines come thru there...it was an extra 'perk' that came with the job that we weren't aware of...

and I was sittin' in my 13 floor hotel room where 2 hours earlier I was watching the sunset very placidly with a Vodka Hanoi and as the storm howled and shook the windows I thought: 'holy shit...'

I went surfin' at Daytona Beach when I was about 12 y.o...and my Nashville grandma got pissed when I tracked sand into the accommodation...'tutsi, yer not old enough for this sort of activity...' but she did help me to buy my first surfboard back in California...

in Ha Tinh with the typhoon raging I got to thinkin': 'I'll bet the surf is cookin' now...'

6 hours ago, JLCrab said:

I was living in Alameda, CA when the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake hit at 5 PM and was on the Cypress Viaduct twice early that same morning. So whattayagonnado.

Cypress_collapsed.jpg

I useta travel that section of the Nimitz freeway  in 1987 at about the time that the earthquake hit going home to Berkeley from my office  in San Jose...I woulda been squarshed like a  bug...