Most of vegetables and fruits on sale in fresh and modern trade markets are laced with pesticide residues

webfact

12 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Enjoy your wabbit food, maybe the ants will stop biting you after gathering enough poison in your body. I, on the other hand, will live forever on my red meat and antiobiotics diet.

Good idea, the growth hormones will do wonders for your physique.

You are going for gender reassignment, right?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

and? what is being done about it?   I know, a silly question!

Besides enforcing penalities and banning some products, a good start would be to educate the farmers on proper use of chemicals.

interesting info from another post:

Thailand is the 22nd largest contributor to carbon emissions globally and the 2nd largest consumer of artificial pesticides and fertilisers in Southeast Asia. “Thailand uses more pesticides than all of the United States,”

I am from the US and I can guarantee that my home state of Illinois uses a lot more pesticides than Thailand does. Where in the hell did that bogus information come from?  We have airplanes flying ten feet above the corn spaying crops constantly. I have yet to see one doing that here, nor have I seen any Thai's out in the flooded rice paddies putting anything on their crops. Yes they use fertilizers here but nowhere near the amount the US uses. In the gulf of Mexico we have what is called the red zone that is virtually free of aquatic life caused by fertilizer run off that is half the size of Thailand. Check your facts.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I am from the US and I can guarantee that my home state of Illinois uses a lot more pesticides than Thailand does. Where in the hell did that bogus information come from?  We have airplanes flying ten feet above the corn spaying crops constantly. I have yet to see one doing that here, nor have I seen any Thai's out in the flooded rice paddies putting anything on their crops. Yes they use fertilizers here but nowhere near the amount the US uses. In the gulf of Mexico we have what is called the red zone that is virtually free of aquatic life caused by fertilizer run off that is half the size of Thailand. Check your facts.

Grubster,

I dreaded the day I might find disagreement with you but I have to disagree with this post concerning the pesticide use in IL vs Thailand.

14 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

This is old news but nothing is ever done about it. It has been reported a number of times before  but is seems the government's eyes are wide shut. It is also claimed that Organic certification for contaminated fruit and vegetables.readily can be purchased readily for a price from the relevant authorities Then everyone in the supply chain gets extra for  a so called premium product. Who isn't on the take in Thailand's bureaucracy?

Anyway it happens all over Asia not just Thailand; it's all about greed and making money.

I would agree that its about making money, but the greed part I don't, These poor farmers are trying to support their families, Yes the chemical producers are greedy to the core but if your neighbor is getting more money by using chemicals you will too.

Just now, Grubster said:

I would agree that its about making money, but the greed part I don't, These poor farmers are trying to support their families, Yes the chemical producers are greedy to the core but if your neighbor is getting more money by using chemicals you will too.

So the wicked chemical companies are to blame? And how wicked they are?

Do they force the farmer  to buy their poison by threat, bribery and coercion? The buck has to stop somewhere and it stops with the farmer who decides to buy these toxic chemicals to line his own pocket. The chemical companies smile all the way to the bank. While you naively shed tears for the farmers. Get a grip.

14 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Grubster,

I dreaded the day I might find disagreement with you but I have to disagree with this post concerning the pesticide use in IL vs Thailand.

Sorry Clark but there is no doubt in my mind about that, I grew up in Illinois and you cannot believe the transformation of the land in my lifetime. There are no longer any snakes, salamanders, frogs, pheasants, weeds, creeks have all been buried and tiled, hedge rows plowed under, fences removed, they mow the ditches next to the gravel roads and paved roads killing any baby pheasants, rabbits, quail, partrich, Very few bee's, or other natural bugs either, as soon as they are done planting, then they spay round up on their genetically altered crops [ thanks to Monsanto] killing every plant there is but their genetically altered crops. Then they commence to spaying [ mostly by planes and helicopters] the crops every few weeks for bugs until harvest. I forgot to mention they first inject Anhydrous Ammonia into the soil killing all the worms and larvae in the ground. When I was young you could not possibly see ten feet down a 36" wide corn row through the weeds and grass, Now you cannot find a sprig of grass or a weed in an entire field with 24" rows. The USA pay's these farmers in subsidies to the tune of at least one hundred billion dollars per year to do this to our land. Several years ago I was traveling in the west of the US selling Hybrid Black Angus Breeding Stock, I noticed one of those huge sweeping hills like you would see in the cowboy/indian movies that was eroding away badly, so I asked the rancher I was staying with that night what was with that, he told me that if the owner of that hill [ probably 10,000 ria or more] proved that he tried to farm it by plowing it and planting a failed crop that he could get a set aside subsidy for that land amounting to tens of thousands of dollars each year. The hill is to steep to recover and never will. Almost all crops in the US are sprayed extensively for weeds and bugs. California probably uses more pesticides than the rest of the world outside the US combined. They also genetically alter their fruits and vegetables for color and shipping qualities over taste and nutrition.

1 hour ago, Brer Fox said:

So the wicked chemical companies are to blame? And how wicked they are?

Do they force the farmer  to buy their poison by threat, bribery and coercion? The buck has to stop somewhere and it stops with the farmer who decides to buy these toxic chemicals to line his own pocket. The chemical companies smile all the way to the bank. While you naively shed tears for the farmers. Get a grip.

Oh yes they do force these farmers to use their products, these chemical companies you love so much also own huge corporate farms that can double your output by using all these chemicals, therefore putting you the family farmer at a huge disadvantage if you don't follow suit. The big corporate farms also have a big advantage when it comes to government subsidies in most country's. I think you should buy a small farm and not use any of these products and see how long you last. Do you really expect these farmers to operate at a loss just because you want cheap nutritious chemical free products.  Get a grip you naive fool.

15 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

This is old news but nothing is ever done about it. It has been reported a number of times before  but is seems the government's eyes are wide shut. It is also claimed that Organic certification for contaminated fruit and vegetables.readily can be purchased readily for a price from the relevant authorities Then everyone in the supply chain gets extra for  a so called premium product. Who isn't on the take in Thailand's bureaucracy?

Anyway it happens all over Asia not just Thailand; it's all about greed and making money.

I and the missus wash all fruit and veg before cooking or eating.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Oh yes they do force these farmers to use their products, these chemical companies you love so much also own huge corporate farms that can double your output by using all these chemicals, therefore putting you the family farmer at a huge disadvantage if you don't follow suit. The big corporate farms also have a big advantage when it comes to government subsidies in most country's. I think you should buy a small farm and not use any of these products and see how long you last. Do you really expect these farmers to operate at a loss just because you want cheap nutritious chemical free products.  Get a grip you naive fool.

Please tell us which are these chemical companies . Not American companies by any chance? Like DuPont, Dow and Monsanto. These chemicals will remain toxic for decades. The farmers don't produce these lethal chemicals. The Yanks do and then blackmail the farmers into buying them. But I doubt that because I think the farmers do it for their own greed.

But the chemicals have to originate somewhere and it is in the wonderful euphoric paradise called AMERICA.

http://www.amchamthailand.com/ACCT/asp/corpdetail.asp?CorpID=452

Ask the Vietnamese about the American chemicals and Monsanto's agent orange sprayed all over the the people and their farms. Death from starvation and birth deformity.

Don't get me started hypocrite. America killed million of innocent civilians by carpet bombing North Vietnam. Now they turn their hand to carpet poisoning of most of Asia with their toxic chemicals. 

WELL DONE AMERICA.

6 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

Please tell us which are these chemical companies . Not American companies by any chance? Like DuPont, Dow and Monsanto. These chemicals will remain toxic for decades. The farmers don't produce these lethal chemicals. The Yanks do and then blackmail the farmers into buying them. But I doubt that because I think the farmers do it for their own greed.

But the chemicals have to originate somewhere and it is in the wonderful euphoric paradise called AMERICA.

http://www.amchamthailand.com/ACCT/asp/corpdetail.asp?CorpID=452

Ask the Vietnamese about the American chemicals and Monsanto's agent orange sprayed all over the the people and their farms. Death from starvation and birth deformity.

Don't get me started hypocrite. America killed million of innocent civilians by carpet bombing North Vietnam. Now they turn their hand to carpet poisoning of most of Asia with their toxic chemicals. 

WELL DONE AMERICA.

I couldn't agree with you more but if you look at your last post you were ridiculing me for blaming it on the big chemical companies you idiot.

well well thailand it looks so great and smiling at the surface ...but on the surface only ...if we look closer we notice the disturbing truth...fake women...fake organic food...fake brand names....fake relationships....fake buddhism....it all comes down to money....fake women (guys can make money as prosts ) fake organic food ( sell crap for big bhats ) fake relationships (take care me = good atm äh falang husbäääänd ) fake buddhism ( millions through donationscams  enables helicopters etc for so called / fake / monks ) --- and dont forget the fake smile .... it seldom means I am happy and in good terms with you or with what happens here and now....

A few ideas for veggie washes.  I sprinkle a little white vinegar straight, and scrub everything  before washing in soap and vinegar solution.  Here's a few ideas.  Hydrogen peroxide doesn't help with pesticides  but it cant hurt for removing bacteria.

http://www.blenderbabes.com/blender-babes-101/blender-babes-how-to-tips/how-to-wash-fruits-vegetables-and-remove-pesticides-with-diy-homemade-recipes/

http://helloglow.co/diy-vegetable-wash/

7 minutes ago, joeyg said:

A few ideas for veggie washes.  I sprinkle a little white vinegar straight, and scrub everything  before washing in soap and vinegar solution.  Here's a few ideas.  Hydrogen peroxide doesn't help with pesticides  but it cant hurt for removing bacteria.

http://www.blenderbabes.com/blender-babes-101/blender-babes-how-to-tips/how-to-wash-fruits-vegetables-and-remove-pesticides-with-diy-homemade-recipes/

http://helloglow.co/diy-vegetable-wash/

Not going to get into the blame game here.

Other than saying 

Is this what we as a species have come to. Poisoning our own food. air and water. Maybe this video isn't too far from the truth 

Man

12 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Not going to get into the blame game here.

Other than saying 

Is this what we as a species have come to. Poisoning our own food. air and water. Maybe this video isn't too far from the truth 

Man

Yeah I've seen this.  I think pretty accurate.  Still try to wash my veggies and don't eat out often.

In the old Pali books on buddhism and Vedic writings on Hinduism there is discussion about how everything becomes toxic in this age.  I love dairy but minimize my intake of it because it's become such a toxic food stuff.  To bad.  Being forced to become vegan.  Just buy white vinegar by the gallons now.

On 10/7/2016 at 9:01 AM, AlQaholic said:

Where do you get hydrogen peroxide? I have tried to find but cannot find anywhere?

I found it easily at a pharmacy in a mall (Maya Chiang Mai, shop in basement next to Boots). 3% solution, 30 baht for 500ml or so.  I used a translator on my phone and showed it to the staff.   I expect you can find it easily at pharmacies elsewhere in Thailand. 

As joeyg pointed out, I doubt if hydrogen peroxide will remove pesticides, only pathogens.  I think ozonated water would work better to remove pesticides.  You can get ozonators cheaply on Ebay.  Also detoxing regularly is key to get rid of accumulated pesticides.

Research results here from the Journal of Hazardous Materials:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304389410015207

Edited by kidizen
Added a point and source.

12 minutes ago, kidizen said:

I found it easily at a pharmacy in a mall (Maya Chiang Mai, shop in basement next to Boots). 3% solution, 30 baht for 500ml or so.  I used a translator on my phone and showed it to the staff.   I expect you can find it easily at pharmacies elsewhere in Thailand. 

As joeyg pointed out, I doubt if hydrogen peroxide will remove pesticides, only pathogens.  I think ozonated water would work better to remove pesticides.  You can get ozonators cheaply on Ebay.  Also detoxing regularly is key to get rid of accumulated pesticides.

It seems that white vinegar is the main ingredient as and acid based solvent.  I'm sticking with that and a bit of dish detergent.  It's amazing, even after giving them a good rinse first.  After soaking in this solution the water is a murky "cruddy" mess.  Good not eating that stuff, better down the drain.

1 minute ago, joeyg said:

It seems that white vinegar is the main ingredient as and acid based solvent.  I'm sticking with that and a bit of dish detergent.  It's amazing, even after giving them a good rinse first.  After soaking in this solution the water is a murky "cruddy" mess.  Good not eating that stuff, better down the drain.

Wouldn't there be residues of the dish detergent on the veggies?  Vinegar I'm ok with but I'm not keen on the idea of washing food with dish detergent.

Just now, kidizen said:

Wouldn't there be residues of the dish detergent on the veggies?  Vinegar I'm ok with but I'm not keen on the idea of washing food with dish detergent.

No I've looked it up before just as we wash and rinse our utensils it washes off safetly. Some people use Castille soap.  I've been using this method for 25 years plus.  No kidney  or other related health.  It only takes a few drops in the wash solution.  White vinegar is the main ingredient.

• First, eat a variety of fruits and vegetables to minimize the potential of increased exposure to a single pesticide.
  • Thoroughly wash all produce, even that which is labeled organic and that which you plan to peel.
  • Wash your produce under running water rather than soaking or dunking it.
  • Dry produce with a clean cloth towel or paper towel when possible.
  • Scrub firm fruits and vegetables, like melons and root vegetables.
  • Discard the outer layer of leafy vegetables, such as lettuce or cabbage.
  • Peel fruits and vegetables when possible.
  • Trim fat and skin from meat, poultry, and fish to minimize pesticide residue that may accumulate in the fat.

10 minutes ago, joeyg said:

No I've looked it up before just as we wash and rinse our utensils it washes off safetly. Some people use Castille soap.  I've been using this method for 25 years plus.  No kidney  or other related health.  It only takes a few drops in the wash solution.  White vinegar is the main ingredient.

You are right.  A wash is much a simpler and better way to get the job done.  I've also just read about cheap ozonators leaking ozone which is harmful to lungs when inhaled.

I buy the rice vinegar in gallons super cheap.  I think I've seen it in 5 gallon containers as well.  Some sites say the detergent doesn't was off veggies the same as utensils and plates.  For 30 years I ate organic out of my garden in So Cal 90% of my produce.  Can keep looking for better wash formulas.  Like I say I think vinegar is the main thing.  Can personal hygiene soaps/bars/shower scrubs be safer?  Most of that stuff has tons of chemicals in it.

So is there any evidence taken from studies in Thailand showing an increased incidence of cancer or other health problems due to the pesticides and other chemicals being discussed here?   Not taking sides or disputing the claims; just truly curious. 

B) Many years ago when I lived in Thailand I met a food Scientist and he told me be very careful in eating Thai Fruits and vegetables because of the use of pesticides. Many which have been banned in the west but are still used widely in other parts of the world. I was always mindful of this and washed my produce well and hoped for the best.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:40 PM, kannot said:

I can well and truly believe this, the pesticide companies heavily  promote their products here, the local shops  selling the stuff are always having some "event" sponsored by them, they get many freebies  too, one owner told me she got 3 i phones for sales recently, and was making more than 200k a month profit on this crap.

Thais also dont mix   according to instructions , often think more is  better and they pump so  much crap on round here Im surprised anyone who eats it doesnt drop dead.

Some chemicals now simply wont work as they have overused them, glyphosate is  one

I grow  pineapples and we dont use anything, weed by hand, nope they arent as big as the other farmers pineapples but I know what Im getting, also grow  on a hill so no run off  from other peoples  land of their chemicals..15 rai

They may not be bigger, but I  would wager that none of your workers  or customers suffers from  wounds that are slow to heal after cutting them selves on the pineapple or its leaves. And I would wager that while your produce may be smaller, it has a more robust "pineapple" taste.