Squeezing someone's neck could kill them - says expert Thai doctor

rooster59

doctor.PNG

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:-- A Thai doctor expert in the workings of the brain has said that squeezing someone's neck could kill them.

He was asked to comment after a video was posted online sowing a technique that allegedly helped with brain function. 

It involved applying pressure to both sides of the neck. The technique was said to cause a momentary stillness in the patient then a full recovery.

Theerawat Hemajutha at Chula Hospital said that the technique was dangerous and should not be attempted. It could shut off the supply of blood to the brain and result in coma, disability or even death.

He added that the idea that this was a viable treatment was nonsense.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-09

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

:shock1::shock1::shock1::shock1::shock1:..............................................

and you need a whole news article to scientifically state that......

Ridicule it all you want.

If there's someone out there offering this as a treatment, the article is timely.  It may save lives.

If one person reads this and changes their mind about getting it done, I'd put it in the win column.

37 minutes ago, impulse said:

If there's someone out there offering this as a treatment, the article is timely.  It may save lives.

If one person reads this and changes their mind about getting it done, I'd put it in the win column.

Sadly you are right :(

48 minutes ago, impulse said:

I need a pair of rose-colored contrarian glasses like those too. Where did you buy them?

LiD

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Yes its called Strangulation, maybe the Thai experts did

not know that.

regards Worgeordie

Only 'experts in the workings of the brain' know that. But this article was definitely not intended to get publicity for anyone. It was a genuine effort to inform anyone who didn't know that grabbing someone's neck with both hands and squeezing it might not be a really smart thing to do.

Edited by LifeInDorset

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Some would argue that the Darwin effect benefits future generations. Anyone stupid enough to allow someone to cut off the blood supply to the brain (in the expectation that the brain will work better that way) should arguably be encouraged to go ahead for the good of society at large.

Edited by BritTim

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Some would argue that the Darwin effect benefits future generations. Anyone stupid enough to allow someone to cut off the brain supply to the brain (in the expectation that the brain will work better that way) should arguably be encouraged to go ahead for the good of society at large.

Still, it's nice to see that Thai 'experts' are performing to the expected standard. Perhaps he's been researching a cure for stupidity? He is a brain expert after all...

I was particularly impressed that just saying 'applying pressure to both sides of the neck" wasn't enough, they required pictures with pixellated faces as well. Mind you, if it was me making a complete fool of myself, I think I'd want my face pixellated as well.

LiD

Edited by LifeInDorset

29 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Some would argue that the Darwin effect benefits future generations. Anyone stupid enough to allow someone to cut off the blood supply to the brain (in the expectation that the brain will work better that way) should arguably be encouraged to go ahead for the good of society at large.

Yeah, that social Darwinism chestnut works out great until it's someone you love laying on the slab.  

Like the warnings about the dangers of erotic strangulation.  Yet a lot of youngsters (and oldsters) even back home succumb annually.  I guess it's okay if it's nobody I love.  Right?

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

If all the ridiculous commenters on this above post had read the article correctly then yes, they do need advice to stop them going to quack doctors who seem to be advocating the practices shown in the video

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

....a technique that allegedly helped with brain function....

Just thinking about putting my neck in the hands of such a expert has improved my brain function enough to dismiss the notion.

Edited by Sphere

Nice to see that the TV experts are jumping at the title of the OP and slagging off the doctor's comments without reading the article. He was only doing what he was asked to do.

If people don't think that cutting off blood supply to the brain is risky then maybe they should let someone try this technique on themselves or a loved one and see how you get on.

Media driven clickbait titling at work, very effectivly it seems.....

2 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

And we need an "expert" to tell us ?   :post-4641-1156694572:

Yes, and also to tell people that drinking magic water won't get rid of allergies, that a back massage will not cure cancer, that vaccines don't cause autism, that black salve will only disfigure them, etc, etc...
But no, let's not because then people will ridicule those experts for stating the obvious and trying to protect the health and lives of other people, what fools.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He was asked to comment after a video was posted online sowing a technique that allegedly helped with brain function. 

Squeeze 'n Release, adapted from an old plumber's trick, flushing out the old brain technique

4 minutes ago, AleG said:

Yes, and also to tell people that drinking magic water won't get rid of allergies, that a back massage will not cure cancer, that vaccines don't cause autism, that black salve will only disfigure them, etc, etc...
But no, let's not because then people will ridicule those experts for stating the obvious and trying to protect the health and lives of other people, what fools.

If that is what he was trying to do, then all well and good. But I strongly suspect he was after some free publicity. We have to remember where we are...

LiD

2 hours ago, MaxLee said:

:shock1::shock1::shock1::shock1::shock1:..............................................

and you need a whole news article to scientifically state that......

No you don't. We need Thai experts.