Where to get a Decent Salad in Bangkok...???

robertthebruce

Can anyone suggest somewhere to go for a Decent Salad....??

and I don't mean, just lettuce leaves, tomato grated carrots and an onion....

i often crave a nice healthy varied salad, but as of yet, failed to find anything remotely interesting...

thanks

8 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

What do you define as a "Decent Salad".

Without that information how can we give a "Decent Answer"

Restaurants like Sizzler, I avoid, as its basic Salad to say the least...

my definition of a good salad, is Good Fresh variety of vegetables, Pulses, Rice, quinola, various beans, choice of low fat dressings, as the Thai versions are gross, and are just full of sugar and syrup....

the Salad Bars in Central, don't do it for me...I admit I am fussy , 

places, like "Wholefood Market" in California or London" is a dream for me, expensive but worth it...

39 minutes ago, frimu said:

If you go to a Sizzler you have a salad bar of decent quality.

and all vegetables are covered in chlorinated preservatives and soaking wet as well. ever wonder why lettuce on Big Mac crunches like salad at Sizzler? the preservatives. mmmmmm

But sometimes I am ok with it. 

Plus sizzler you get soup and desserts at salad bar. nice option, overall

9 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

Restaurants like Sizzler, I avoid, as its basic Salad to say the least...

my definition of a good salad, is Good Fresh variety of vegetables, Pulses, Rice, quinola, various beans, choice of low fat dressings, as the Thai versions are gross, and are just full of sugar and syrup....

the Salad Bars in Central, don't do it for me...I admit I am fussy , 

places, like "Wholefood Market" in California or London" is a dream for me, expensive but worth it...

DIY then.

The best place for a decent salad by far is The Salad Factory. Unfortunately, they don't have any branches in central Bangkok, but have 2 branches in Nonthaburi. So, depending on where you are located, it is well worth the journey. They do every kind of salad imaginable, with the option to create your own if you want, using only fresh, high quality ingredients. 

http://www.bangkokland.co.th/beehive/floorplan/floor1/store16.php

'Subway', but admit it's not the same selection as in US. The other source I've found here are, as mentioned, the grocery stores (not Villa), gourmet markets, Tops and Big C. "Bark" said the Big Salad Restaurant on Sukhumvit, but I've never heard of it (but then I don't live in the Suk area). I agree with you about the salads at Sizzler, plus they're such a pain with small flat plate.

Good luck. Lettuce know what you find.

As one chap suggested above try Dressed. Not a salad bar but you can do a create your own salad from a decent list of ingredients. There's one in that red building at Chidlom BTS, Exchange Tower at Asoke and in the basement of Paragon. I think there are a couple of other locations too. 

Gourmet Market salad bar is good but vastly varies by location. The one at T21 is pretty poor most days where as the one at Em Quartier is usually pretty great and often has most of the ingredients you listed. 

53 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

ME....you got to be joking....I can't Cook, Won't Cook....and I am a spoilt prat into the equation..

so that's out of the question.....

I think if you worked a little more on your spoiled brat (prat) personality the salad bar adversions would be better under control. What's wrong with Paragons salad bar?  If you don't like certain dressings you can buy the kind you like in the dressing aisle.  

12 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I think if you worked a little more on your spoiled brat (prat) personality the salad bar adversions would be better under control. What's wrong with Paragons salad bar?  If you don't like certain dressings you can buy the kind you like in the dressing aisle.  

Cant change...won't change....

next...

Counting Sheep Corner in Sukhumvit Soi 61 do most things well.
They make a decent beetroot, caramalised onion and feta cheese salad.

Can't remember having a green salad there but as I say, they do most things well.

Dean and Deluca in Sathorn 8 has a mean salad bar and a decent coffee.

There are two good salad bars in Rachada. One at the Esplanade ground floor (very popular at lunch times) and a newer one at The Street (4th? floor) not so popular but just as good. Oddly, Tops 24 hr market has a good one too for only 20 bt 100 gms whereas BigC next door has a quite poor one for 25 bt.

2 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

and all vegetables are covered in chlorinated preservatives and soaking wet as well. ever wonder why lettuce on Big Mac crunches like salad at Sizzler? the preservatives. mmmmmm

But sometimes I am ok with it. 

Plus sizzler you get soup and desserts at salad bar. nice option, overall

I do not believe what you said about sizzler, sounds like defamation to me.

Do you have any evidence ?

1 hour ago, Hotrats said:

The best place for a decent salad by far is The Salad Factory. Unfortunately, they don't have any branches in central Bangkok, but have 2 branches in Nonthaburi. So, depending on where you are located, it is well worth the journey. They do every kind of salad imaginable, with the option to create your own if you want, using only fresh, high quality ingredients. 

http://www.bangkokland.co.th/beehive/floorplan/floor1/store16.php

Yes, have to agree, my only negative is their dressings, apart from Olive Oil, which I always ask for..., but a nice healthy low  calories-lo Fat dressing would be nice...

The problem with salads in Thailand is they're using Thai grown produce, and as reported here recently, a lot of Thai grown produce has problems with excessive pesticide residues.

The so-called organic and other locally generated quality/safety marks basically mean nothing here, as they're not enforced by the government or anyone else. And past independent testing has shown those kinds of labels also have pesticide residue levels in excess of standards.

And of course at restaurants, you never really know where they're sourcing their salad ingredients from, making it even more difficult to know if one's attempts to eat "healthy" is in fact resulting in you eating very "unhealthy."

http://www.thaipan.org/node/849

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Gourmet Market salad bars.

25 baht per 100 g and a very nice selection that varies a little each day.  I visit the one in Terminal 21 a couple of times a week for lunch.

Second.  Great salad options but love that spaghetti with chilis and basil also.  I like the pizzaria under Terminal 21 by the BTS stairs also for salad and a slice.