Diplomat Sathorn - Rental Prices?

I was inspecting units at the Diplomat Sathorn today. The building will be coming online in the next month and will have the finishing touches by the end of the year.

I would be grateful to hear member's opinions on what they believe are realistic and achievable rental prices.

For reference, the units I was inspecting were:

1. 1 bedroom (genuine 1 bedroom), 52 sqm, 12th floor. It will be rented with full furniture package, flat screen TV, washing machine, etc.

2. 2 bedroom, 76 sqm, 14th floor. The same furniture package, etc, as above.

If one looks at sites like Hipflat then 4-5% of the asking sale price seems to be fairly common. Do you have any reason to suspect that this particular building should be very different?

The Hipflat asking sale price in that building is 230,000B/sqm.

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

If one looks at sites like Hipflat then 4-5% of the asking sale price seems to be fairly common. Do you have any reason to suspect that this particular building should be very different?

The Hipflat asking sale price in that building is 230,000B/sqm.

At the 5% rate that 50k a month for the 1 bed and 73k a month for the 2 bed.

The building is right in front of BTS Surasak, but it doesn't have a skywalk directly linked to the BTS.

Every condo has 1 car parking space (there is 100 per cent provision).

Do those prices seem reasonable for the location?

57 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Do those prices seem reasonable for the location?

I don't know. But I'm the wrong person to ask as most Bangkok prices seem way over the top to me.

Personally I wouldn't mind up to 5-10 minutes walk to the BTS as I dont work or have any regular schedules to keep to. A good view would be more important to me, but that's just me. The parking sounds like a plus.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I don't know. But I'm the wrong person to ask as most Bangkok prices seem way over the top to me.

Personally I wouldn't mind up to 5-10 minutes walk to the BTS as I dont work or have any regular schedules to keep to. A good view would be more important to me, but that's just me. The parking sounds like a plus.

The view is rubbish. Nothing much to look at to be honest. The view from the gym on the top floor looks straight at a cemetery full of headstones.

I think the building will suit business people due to the location. Well, that's the hope, anyway.

7 hours ago, blackcab said:

The view is rubbish. Nothing much to look at to be honest. The view from the gym on the top floor looks straight at a cemetery full of headstones.

I think the building will suit business people due to the location. Well, that's the hope, anyway.

Even business people needs a life after dark. What's there after dark besides dark alleys and darkened office buildings?

28 minutes ago, trogers said:

Even business people needs a life after dark. What's there after dark besides dark alleys and darkened office buildings?

That's an astute question. I'm not familiar with the area so I'll go take a look during the day and at night.

I've also asked for information in the Bangkok forum:

21 hours ago, blackcab said:

Actually I can see a certain surreal attraction in looking out a cemetery here. Though a more traditional view like a river or a park would probably be more satisfying.

I went through that area on the BTS one Sunday a few weeks ago and what I could see from the carriage did seem pretty quiet with not much apart from office buildings visible and very few people getting on and off. Though as you say anyone having to work near there would probably appreciate the proximity. For me the main advantage would be that I would only have to go a few stops on the BTS to get to somewhere more interesting like the park or the river or shopping areas.

28 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

For me the main advantage would be that I would only have to go a few stops on the BTS to get to somewhere more interesting like the park or the river or shopping areas.

One of the purchaser's considerations was the location, in as much as the building is absolutely next to the BTS. You walk out of the property entrance and the up escalator to the BTS is about 10 meters away.

The only downside is that the immediate area needs slightly more life and a decent supermarket. Still, it's pretty good all in all. To be fair the units are nicely done.

One plus point to is that the unit doors have Yale Gateman 3109 electronic locks on them. You can use your choice of an access card, a pin number or a key to open the door. This means the tenant can have two access cards and a pin number. If they lock their access card in their unit they can use the pin number to get in and retrieve the cards.

The owner can also have an access card and they can know the pin number. However if the tenant changes pin numbers and access cards (an easy process) the landlord will always have the key override.

I know some people would feel uncomfortable with this arrangement, but the corridor right up to the tenant's door is covered by CCTV. There is no way into the unit without being on camera.

I used to live on Soi Pramuan right in an apartment right behind the BTS Surasak station.  Generally, it's a very quiet neighborhood except for loud announcements, starting around 06.00, from the high school (Bangkok Christian College) on both sides of Soi Pramuan.  Not sure how much those would be audible from the Diplomat Sathorn.

Archived