Vegemite, Marmite And Promite

the gentleman

vegemite, marmite and promite  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many poms?

come on mate, it is full of aussie bartenders and Kosovars  :o

Bash

You get the rejects there bash, cant hack it in Oz, anyone can serve hot dishwater, but to dispense the excellent vareties and specimen of malted beverage we have here requires true talent.

:D:D:D

you tell that soap dodger Bronc, he wouldnt know his ass from his elbow :D

Would seem that the poll has ousted Vegemite, far too many "Marmiteists" must have got their aging aunts to vote as well. For all those true Vegemite believers....................http://www.vegemite.com.au

Perhaps we should have one on Bovril vs Bonox :o Maybe on second thoughts......

mince tattys and gravy, fish and chips, cornish pasties and marmite - thanks England for your contibution :o

Now the Cornish pasty there is a piece of work only the soapdodgers would think of.

Imagine inventing a pastry with a disposable handle, a disposable piece of crust they could grab the meal with, cause the soapies didn't wash their hands, :D:D:D

mince tattys and gravy, fish and chips, cornish pasties and marmite - thanks England for your contibution :D

Now the Cornish pasty there is a piece of work only the soapdodgers would think of.

Imagine inventing a pastry with a disposable handle, a disposable piece of crust they could grab the meal with, cause the soapies didn't wash their hands, :

How true that is Bronco! :D A coal miners fillet mignon :D

Marmite is actually linked to this funny enough :o , every Sunday they would wash thier hands and bottle it! :D

not in this poll it does'nt :D:D

C'mon Dave 19 to 14 is hardly a walk over is it? I'ts not over till you chuck the empty jar away, except for Bash who hoards all his empty jars, as he can't bear to part with them. :o

My girlfriend calls in "pbalaa" ..... thats the horrid fermented fish <deleted>....cant eat it as it is terrible. But vegemite !! Ah give me toast and vegemite anytime. Puts a rose in every cheek !! :o

My wife describes Marmite as 'English paraa'. She likes both the Thai and English paraa, which shows good taste at least on the second point. Another point on the compatibility score!

not in this poll it does'nt :D  :D

C'mon Dave 19 to 14 is hardly a walk over is it? I'ts not over till you chuck the empty jar away, except for Bash who hoards all his empty jars, as he can't bear to part with them. :o

I have a collection of over 500 now, all licked clean.

Infact an empty jar of Marmite is still stronger than Vegishite

Bash

Bash

and somebody called you a dishlicker bash.

do you know what the name marmite stands for bash??????

Bash

Bash is actually building a house with the jars, you will need aircon for that mr tamachaat! :D

FYI.........

The basic raw material used in the manufacture of MARMITE spread is spent brewer's yeast, a substance whose original and only use was to ferment sugars into alcohol. For many years this by-product of the brewing process was seen as a nuisance rather than a potentially valuble food source.

In 1680 a Dutch scientist, Leouwanhoek, examined the yeast under a microscope and saw that it was composed of tiny spherical and ovoid cells.

The French scientist Louis Pasteur realised that these cells were in fact living plants.

Further investigation by a German chemist, Liebig found that this yeast could be made into a concentrated food product which resembled meat extract in appearance, smell and colour, however it was vegetarian.

In 1902, the Marmite Food Company Ltd, later changed to Marmite Limited was formed. This company was commited to creating a perfected form of yeast extract for popular consumption. They rented a disused malthouse in Burton-on-Trent for the modest sum of £100 a year and set to work.

However, it was found that the yeast they were producing from British beer did not lend itself to the same treatment of continental yeast where methods of fermentation were markedly different. New machinery had to be bought in and a series of changes in the manufacturing process were implemented before a satisfactory yeast extract product was ready to market.

It took time to bowl over the British public with the distinctive taste of MARMITE yeast extract. Gradually, however, the business expanded. The freehold of the malthouse was purchased and operations were extended to meet growing demand.

Eventually a second site was obtained in London, and the company consolidated production at a new greenfield site at Burton-on-Trent

The discovery of vitamins in 1912 boosted the popularity of MARMITE spread, when it was realised that yeast provided a good source of five B vitamins. Its healthy proposition meant that greater quantities of MARMITE were consumed in hospitals, schools and institutions with tonnes dispatched to war-torn countries overseas during both the World-Wars.

MARMITE was served to soldiers on military duty and was used to combat outbreaks of beri-beri and other diseases.

During the second World War MARMITE became a valued dietary supplement in prisoner-of-war camps.

Further changes of ownership ensued and in 1990, CPC (United Kingdom) Ltd (now known as Bestfoods UK Ltd) took over both the BOVRIL and MARMITE brands.

More as I learn of it.

Touche!!! All but a little later :D

Vegemite dates back to 1922 when the Fred Walker Company, which became Kraft Walker Foods in 1926 and Kraft Foods Limited in 1950, hired a young chemist to develop a spread from one of the richest known natural sources of the vitamin B group - Brewers Yeast.

Following months of laboratory tests, Dr. Cyril P Callister, who became the nation’s leading food technologist of the 1920s and 30s developed a tasty spreadable paste. It came in a two ounce (57g) amber glass jar capped with a Phoenix seal with the label "Pure Vegetable Extract".

In an imaginative approach, Walker turned to the Australian public to officially name his spread. He conducted a national trade-name competition offering an attractive 50 pound prize pool for the finalists. How the 50 pounds was distributed or who was the winning contestant has unfortunately been lost in history, but it was Walker's daughter who chose the winning name out of the hundreds of entries.

That winning name was Vegemite and in 1923 Vegemite first graced grocers' shelves. It was described as "Delicious on sandwiches and toast, and improves the flavour of soups, stews and gravies". However, it took 14 long years of perseverance from Walker before Vegemite finally gained acceptance and recognition with the Australian people.

When Australians first heard about Vegemite, a thick, dark English spread (called Marmite) already dominated the spread market and Australians were reluctant to try Fred Walker's locally made product. Poor sales performance resulted in Vegemite being re-named in 1928.

In an attempt to emulate the success of Marmite, Walker re-launched Vegemite as "Parwill". "If Marmite...then Parwill" was the rationale behind Walker's strategy to carve a niche in the market for his concentrated yeast extract spread. However Parwill was only ever sold in Queensland and Walker's creative play-on-words fell on deaf ears and Parwill failed. Walker went back to the drawing board, and finally realised that the Vegemite brand could work. All he had to do was stimulate consumer trial.

In 1935, a vigorous 2-year coupon redemption scheme was launched whereby a jar of Vegemite was given away with every purchase of other products in the Fred Walker Company range. Australians tried the product, and loved it. During this 2-year coupon redemption period, sales of Vegemite leapt, along with its reputation as a tasty, nutritious new spread.

I know............boring, boring.............. :o