Gun Laws in Thailand

19 hours ago, alocacoc said:

There are some Thai gun magazines with hundreds of commercial ads. and hundreds of private ads. I bet, that everyone could easily buy a weapon from a private seller without any licence.

Well maybe if someone wants to use an illegal market along with the consequences if grassed up on,  so they buy one but then have the problem trying to buy ammo.

There is ways of getting the use of a gun legally via a family member.

If a non Thai can afford it and want to own and shoot guns in Thailand l would say going the legal route is without doubt the best way.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

My guess is it would be very difficult if at all possible and can't really see why anyone would want to do it, what would be the point of it if your already possess a Thai gun permit.

"... can't really see why anyone would want to do it, what would be the point of it..."

1) Apparently guns purchased in Thailand are about 5 times as expensive.

2) Gun(s) in home country are already owned (i.e., paid for).

Edited by JimmyJ

4 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"... can't really see why anyone would want to do it, what would be the point of it..."

Depends what country you come from and what's available an old 12 gauge SB Baikal would do me. :biggrin:

On 1/7/2017 at 10:40 PM, JimmyJ said:

Has anyone who obtained a Thai permit to own a gun looked into importing a gun they own legally in the country they are a citizen of?

Theoretically it is possible but the red tape and costs involved at both ends would be prohibitive. First you would need a export licence from your home country, for which a licensed dealer would probably have to apply for you.  For this you would need an purchase order from a Thai licensed importer, approved from the Thai Interior Ministry   For this part I think you would have to use up a quota for a short or a long gun from a Thai gun shop that would have to pass the order to the Thai importer.  On the Thai side, they would obviously want at least the same profit they would get on importing and selling a new gun under the quota system, plus extra for the additional hassle involved.  Of course, you would need to be eligible for a gun permit in Thailand too, or have a willing Thai nominee.

The long and the short is that you would end up paying a lot more than it would cost to buy the same gun new in Thailand and have a lot more hassle.  I have known Thais who have imported guns personally.  One was a very wealthy Anglophile MR who ordered a Holland and Holland bespoke shotgun for over GBP20k.  For him money was no object and he wasn't even a shooter.  It was just a show-off piece.  In fact, since H&H shotguns are designed for bird shooting, which is not allowed in Thailand, I was unable to imagine any practical application for the piece but dutifully expressed my admiration nonetheless.

On 1/8/2017 at 11:43 AM, JimmyJ said:

As explained above the original cost of the gun would probably be irrelevant in the equation. Yes, lower priced handguns are 5-6 times the US price here due partly to the quota system which restricts the number of handgun quotas which are in higher demand, while long gun quotas are a lot higher.  Long guns tend to be in the range of about 2.5 times the US price.  So you could get a standard shotgun or a CZ or Henry .22 rifle for about B35k.  High end handguns like Les Baer custom 1911 that sell for US$2,000-3,000 in the US also tend to have a much lower mark of 2-3 times too because the Thai dealer is still making a satisfactory profit in baht terms and B200k is a resistance point that even most wealthy Thais are unwilling to pay for a handgun. Thais buy these high end handguns to compete in IPSC or bullseye type competitions which are popular here.

Farang cannot meet the requirements of owning a handgun in Thailand under most circumstances, but those working for the police or military may have special permits granted.

But if your married to a Thai girl who owns her own home, has a business and a decent sum of money in the bank she can apply for the license.   It can take a year to get the license and lots of paperwork.  

Then you can go down to the gun shops in Charoen Krung Rd  and get royally screwed on what you choose.  Of course you can buy something of Chinese origin and get less screwed, but best case scenario is you will pay 3 times as much for a hand gun as you would in the USA.

BIL bought a Beretta 92 and without accessories or ammo it was almost 110k baht.

4 hours ago, Arkady said:

Thais buy these high end handguns to compete in IPSC or bullseye type competitions which are popular here.

If you train regularly that the best thing to do otherwise it becomes quickly boring.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

11 hours ago, BSJ said:

Farang cannot meet the requirements of owning a handgun in Thailand under most circumstances, but those working for the police or military may have special permits granted.

But if your married to a Thai girl who owns her own home, has a business and a decent sum of money in the bank she can apply for the license.   It can take a year to get the license and lots of paperwork.  

Then you can go down to the gun shops in Charoen Krung Rd  and get royally screwed on what you choose.  Of course you can buy something of Chinese origin and get less screwed, but best case scenario is you will pay 3 times as much for a hand gun as you would in the USA.

BIL bought a Beretta 92 and without accessories or ammo it was almost 110k baht.

Not complete correct, Farangs can get a gun license but only a restricted one.

As you correctly mentioned a Thai person can own a gun in certain situations.

My wife applied and got a license to carry a handgun when ever she wants.

At the same time i received a license to carry the gun with me from home to the shooting range and back but only without ammunition.

Gun license can be arranged via the local Amphoer or the police office.

We did it via the police office as this was much easier for us as we know them very well.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, merijn said:

Not complete correct, Farangs can get a gun license but only a restricted one.

As you correctly mentioned a Thai person can own a gun in certain situations.

My wife applied and got a license to carry a handgun when ever she wants.

At the same time i received a license to carry the gun with me from home to the shooting range and back but only without ammunition.

Gun license can be arranged via the local Amphoer or the police office.

We did it via the police office as this was much easier for us as we know them very well.

I got several permits as foreigner with permanent residence, exactly the same ones that Thais get without any restrictions.  The law doesn't make any distinction based on nationality. It is up the licensing officers and varies from place to place with Bangkok being the least idiosyncratic in its interpretation of the law.

A Por 12 permit to carry a concealed weapon can only be issued by the police.  For Bangkok only and nationwide permits (the hardest to get) you have to go National Police HQ.  For other provinces to carry in that province only I think it would the provincial police HQ.  The Por 12 permit is extremely difficult to obtain these days and you need a very good reason and good connections.  It is a card like a driving licence that says Por 12 on it.  If someone doesn't have one of these, they are not licensed to carry and loaded and conceal handgun.

There is no licence under the Firearms Act that specifically allows anyone to carry a gun from home to the range.  There are only Por 4 licences that are: 1) to own and use gun and ammunition to protect life and property; 2) to use for sport; 3) to collect (decommissioned) guns.  If you are carrying a gun in your car to the range, you must be in possession of a Por 4 permit in your own name.  If you are arrested for carrying a gun and/or ammunition, you have to justify this on the basis of having a good reason (i.e. going to or from the range).  It is theoretically OK to have the ammo in the car too, as long as it is wrapped up separately from the gun - a locked box is a good idea.  Magazines should be removed - not much you can do about revolver cylinders though.  I would not advise anyone to carry their wife's gun to the range without the wife present in the car.  You should, as far as possible go straight to the range and range strange in order to argue you still have a good reason for having the hardware in the car.  Stopping off at a bar on the way back home, getting plastered and then going home at 2am would not be a good idea.  Most road blocks and searches only occur at night anyway.

• Like 1

On December 22, 2016 at 3:33 PM, up-country_sinclair said:

Are there rules about carrying a loaded handgun in Thailand?  I know in some countries you need a special permit or license to carry a "concealed weapon".  Is this true in Thailand?  What about having a loaded weapon in a car?

Yes, I'm asking because this is apparently what my idiot brother in law is up to these days.

Refer to Arkady's post above. Getting Por.12 (ป.12 - equivalent to a CCW permit) is so ridiculous difficult that Thais don't even bother trying. If your BIL is pursuing this avenue he better be rich AND well connected (unless he's a criminal/supreme court judge or can justifiably show he needs it for protection of life for some other reason). 

On 1/10/2017 at 6:16 PM, CanInBKK said:

Refer to Arkady's post above. Getting Por.12 (ป.12 - equivalent to a CCW permit) is so ridiculous difficult that Thais don't even bother trying. If your BIL is pursuing this avenue he better be rich AND well connected (unless he's a criminal/supreme court judge or can justifiably show he needs it for protection of life for some other reason). 

Also note that Por 12 carry permits are only issued for one year renewable. When I first looked at the rules for it in the 90s there was a list of types of people who were automatically granted by virtue of their positions, including MCs, MRs, MLs, MPs, senators etc. Now I believe that no one is automatically approved. In the 70s a law was passed that gave anyone with a Por 4 permit the right to carry their gun concealed and loaded.  I think that was repealed within a few short years.

I visited the Air Force 25m handgun range at Don Muang today for the first time. Small but quite nice with the emphasis on rules and safety.  It is the only Thai range I have seen with steel partitions separating shooting stations and they specifically ask if you want/need instruction.  Lead nosed Bullet Master ammo is for sale at reasonable prices.  I noticed that they accept foreigners for B200 a day, vs B100 for Thais.  Annual membership is B500 a year but I think this may only be for Thais, as I didn't see any rate for foreigners or anything in English about membership but at least they officially welcome foreigners on a day basis.  Guns are available for rental for B300.  I was taking Mrs Arkady to apply for a basic shooting course there.  She can already shoot quite well but could use some instruction and I particularly want her to formally learn gun safety.  Of course, I will have to attend the course with her or she would not agree to go and I am sure I will learn from it too.  It costs B1,800 for a full day course including a year's membership, free rental of a 9mm pistol, 30 rounds, lunch and a diploma you can use for applying for a Por 3 for anything bigger than 9mm or .38. Most ranges just take money to issue these certificates without requiring attendance at the course but the Air Force is scrupulous in refusing to do this.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, Arkady said:

There is no licence under the Firearms Act that specifically allows anyone to carry a gun from home to the range.  There are only Por 4 licences that are: 1) to own and use gun and ammunition to protect life and property; 2) to use for sport; 3) to collect (decommissioned) guns.  If you are carrying a gun in your car to the range, you must be in possession of a Por 4 permit in your own name.  If you are arrested for carrying a gun and/or ammunition, you have to justify this on the basis of having a good reason (i.e. going to or from the range).  It is theoretically OK to have the ammo in the car too, as long as it is wrapped up separately from the gun - a locked box is a good idea.  Magazines should be removed - not much you can do about revolver cylinders though.  I would not advise anyone to carry their wife's gun to the range without the wife present in the car.  You should, as far as possible go straight to the range and range strange in order to argue you still have a good reason for having the hardware in the car.  Stopping off at a bar on the way back home, getting plastered and then going home at 2am would not be a good idea.  Most road blocks and searches only occur at night anyway.

Sounds like the state gun laws here in Hawaii, except I do not need a "permit" but the gun must be legally registered in my name which is basically the same concept. I can only transport guns to and from the range (or an authorized gunsmith), and they must be unloaded and any ammunition stored separately. Ideally the gun in the trunk and the ammunition inside the vehicle. Concealed carry permits in Hawaii are virtually impossible to obtain (theoretically you could get one, but they never issue them).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arkady said:

I visited the Air Force 25m handgun range at Don Muang today for the first time. Small but quite nice with the emphasis on rules and safety.  It is the only Thai range I have seen with steel partitions separating shooting stations and they specifically ask if you want/need instruction.  Lead nosed Bullet Master ammo is for sale at reasonable prices.  I noticed that they accept foreigners for B200 a day, vs B100 for Thais.  Annual membership is B500 a year but I think this may only be for Thais, as I didn't see any rate for foreigners or anything in English about membership but at least they officially welcome foreigners on a day basis.  Guns are available for rental for B300.  I was taking Mrs Arkady to apply for a basic shooting course there.  She can already shoot quite well but could use some instruction and I particularly want her to formally learn gun safety.  Of course, I will have to attend the course with her or she would not agree to go and I am sure I will learn from it too.  It costs B1,800 for a full day course including a year's membership, free rental of a 9mm pistol, 30 rounds, lunch and a diploma you can use for applying for a Por 3 for anything bigger than 9mm or .38. Most ranges just take money to issue these certificates without requiring attendance at the course but the Air Force is scrupulous in refusing to do this.

I practice at a nearby army range that offers similar condition. As a regular I pay the ThB 100 fees, bullets at the price mentioned earlier (ThB 750 / box of 50). When I asked about yearly membership, they start asking for id card then work permit. But they clearly look reluctant about admitting a foreigner so they advised me to ask a Thai friend or my wife to apply then come with him/her, which is clearly not very convenient. I'm now in the process of applying for a Thai id card, then I will try again.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Thais are fascinated by guns (I witnessed this for many years while living in Thailand,  watch any Thai film there all the same full of shootings ) Thais are very Childish adults enjoy reading comic books, nearly all public transport buses mostly are coverd with Disney's Micky Mouse & Donald Duck.  You can buy home made pistols just about any where. Go to any market in Thailand & there is always a massive amount of holsters for sale the only use for a pistol holster is for a pistol. I've been offered guns to buy many time even one time by a Policeman. I believe the Gun shown is an air soft weapon they look real & many times are made in the same factories as the real guns. How ever on an AK47 the stock does not fold on the air soft model as it does on the real AK47. In the past fake guns even toy guns the barrel end should be painted red so can be instantly recognised its a fake gun. I collect air rifles & have been into shooting vermin for over over 45 years. Guns can be pleasureuble just to look at hung a wall . Regarding real guns I would never have a wish to own one in any way. Yours, RickoMortis. ( THE COFFIN MAKER )

On 10/31/2016 at 0:31 AM, blackcab said:

Firstly, ordinary Thai people can not get a license to own this type of firearm. In Thailand it is classed as a war weapon.

That said, you seem to be linking the girlfriend's photos with her boyfriend's legally owned pistol. Why does the weapon have  to belong to the boyfriend?

Are you certain it's a weapon and not a BB gun?

The pic does not look like something taken on a gf's phone.  Maybe it is a Web stock pic of a gun that looks like his latest BB gun toy.   And yes, I do have heaps of experience in these matters, guns & BB guns.  Since I retired, sold my gun business overseas & moved here I have owned no guns here but we do have 7 guard dogs.  Don't visit at night or get out of your car at the gate here without ringing first!!!!

Edited by The Deerhunter

Of course this rifle is all legal to own if you are thai and show a valid ID...

I'm a sport shooter in Thailand and dudes come at the range with pump shotguns, semi-automatic guns and rifles. Just go to any weapon sellers with your thai wife, she can get out with a Glock.

On 10/31/2016 at 11:33 AM, Strange said:

Come on, no need to go there. US and AU are cool. We got the gun thing ingrained in our DNA (Unless your a Lib) so were a little different. 

Im not sure what you are suggesting "US and AU"?

If you mean Australia by AU then there could not be a greater difference in gun ownership policy. Basically the average citizen finds it very hard to own a gun. All are licensed users. Hand guns are the domain of Police and security officers unless you are a active member of a gun club. Carrying a handgun on your person in public will get you rounded up and locked away. Often the weapon has to remain at the range, not to be taken home. Rifles, shotguns may be owned in rural situations for farmers etc to control vermin. All weapons in a household etc must be secured by regulation in a gun safe to specific standards. Maybe you were trying to infer something else that i missed?

On 1/12/2017 at 7:22 AM, JohnnyJazz said:

I practice at a nearby army range that offers similar condition. As a regular I pay the ThB 100 fees, bullets at the price mentioned earlier (ThB 750 / box of 50). When I asked about yearly membership, they start asking for id card then work permit. But they clearly look reluctant about admitting a foreigner so they advised me to ask a Thai friend or my wife to apply then come with him/her, which is clearly not very convenient. I'm now in the process of applying for a Thai id card, then I will try again.

I didn't ask them at the Air Force range because I now have the ID card but most of the military and other government ranges seem to require Thai nationality for membership (as in most other matters PR is not considered).  Exceptions I am aware of are the Navy Seals Special Warfare range (100-800m) at Sattahip which has a space for foreigners to put their passport numbers on the application form and the Sports Authority of Thailand at Hua Mark (but I heard that new membership is currently closed to all there but foreign visitors are permitted).  I am not sure if the Thai Skeet and Trap Association at Hua Mark is government but they do accept foreign members at a higher price.

On 1/18/2017 at 7:35 PM, RickoMortis said:

I collect air rifles & have been into shooting vermin for over over 45 years.

Well you would need a gun licence to own a air-gun in Thailand.

As for shooting vermin here there're a bit funny about that too. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

I am not sure if the Thai Skeet and Trap Association at Hua Mark is government but they do accept foreign members at a higher price.

I haven't practice for more than 30 years, since I was working at my uncle farm. That's something I really want to do again but then I'll need to sort out my priorities because my bucket list is getting really crowded ;-).

• Like 1

On 1/21/2017 at 2:56 PM, JohnnyJazz said:

I haven't practice for more than 30 years, since I was working at my uncle farm. That's something I really want to do again but then I'll need to sort out my priorities because my bucket list is getting really crowded ;-).

Shooting clays can be good fun but the skeet and trap range at Hua Mark is exclusively Olympic settings, as its main purpose is to train the Thai national teams.  Those are hard games for the casual shooter as the targets can fly from any direction or angle.  The vast majority of shooters in the US and Europe shoot 'gentlemen's' trap and skeet which is much, much easier.  There are also some sporting clays contests in Thailand at Pumpailin Shooting Range, near Bkk, and elsewhere but I don't know of any sporting clays range that is permanently set up, as in the US and Europe.  I also don't know of any range that has clays guns for rent except the rip off deals for tourists, where you pay a fortune for 5 or 10 shots,  I have seen advertised in Bkk and tourist resorts inclusive of hotel pick up.   Those are just for tourists who live in countries were gun ownership is highly restricted like Japan, China and the UK to be able to tell folks back home they fired a gun on holiday in Thailand. 

21 hours ago, Arkady said:

Those are just for tourists who live in countries were gun ownership is highly restricted like Japan, China and the UK to be able to tell folks back home they fired a gun on holiday in Thailand. 

Don't know about Japan or China but UK people can shoot shotguns in England if accompanied by a licenced shotgun owners on set up sporting clay ranges and some clubs allow members to bring non licenced guests.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't know about Japan or China but UK people can shoot shotguns in England if accompanied by a licenced shotgun owners on set up sporting clay ranges and some clubs allow members to bring non licenced guests.

That's true in the UK and you can just book a sporting clays lesson at some ranges that offer instruction without being a member or knowing any of the members at the club.  A good way to see if you like it and get started.  British tourists are probably more interested in trying handguns which they will never get a chance to fire at home, unless they join one of the services or the police, or live in Northern Ireland.  Recreational shooting is highly restricted in Japan and China.  The problem, of course, is that most of the tourists have no idea of gun safety and really need a hour's quiet tuition before being allowed to shoot.  But the ranges that accept them are more interested in relieving them of their cash as quickly as possible.  The ones in resorts like Pattaya and Phuket that are only for tourists and have no Thai members look the most dodgy and have very old guns in very poor condition that look they could easily blow up in someone's hand.  

• Like 2