TM - 30 Asking Falangs to enforce this?

My school has recently requested all the teachers to go out and explain to our land lords that they must comply with the foreigner reporting laws. (section 38 of the 1979 immigration act )  They have given us letters in both Thai and English,  and every day bug us if we are doing this.   I explained to my school that my responsibility is to do 90 day reporting, and I am not a Thai home owner.

I feel awkward telling Thai people about Thai laws and asking Thai's to comply. Is that my job?  Does Thailand really want falangs to come into their country and start enforcing Thai law?  This is crazy.  

I understand the need to comply if I am living with a spouse who is a home owner, I appreciate the information. But my home owner does not even speak English.  

I have this Krung Jai feeling that's its not really my place to do this. Whats next, asking Thai people if they have paid their income taxes. Should we as teachers set up special falang road blocks to make sure Thai people are wearing their seat belts?  

Am I out of line in my sentiment here? 

• Like 1

A neighbour who teaches at an international school tells me the school admin sorts out his annual extensions and 90-day reporting, he never goes near the local immigration office. If your school works the same way, they are merely asking you to ensure completion of the TM30, which in practice only you can do. The requirement to submit a TM30 is not something that was enforced by many immigration offices until recently - in my own case, the first time was for my annual retirement extension in February this year. The TM30 is a separate matter from 90-day reporting, when (in my experience) it's not required. 

I think the school is just doing what immigration has told them that it needed to be done.

You can be held responsible for the TM30 form being done as the possessor of the residence if you are renting it. People have been fined for it not being done.

How does it work? The Thai House owner must fysically go to immigration with a TM 30 form? Does he also need other paperwork? Passport copies from the renter, rental contract? Copy housebook? I have the feeling when i ask him he will be not happy, specially because i like to take a holiday sometime and stay then in a hotel. So far never had problems with immigration but i am sure the house-owner never went there.

Edited by Jack Mountain

7 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

How does it work? The Thai House owner must fysically go to immigration with a TM 30 form? Does he also need other paperwork? Passport copies from the renter, rental contract? Copy housebook? I have the feeling when i ask him he will be not happy, specially because i like to take a holiday sometime and stay then in a hotel. So far never had problems with immigration but i am sure the house-owner never went there.

It depends upon the immigration office you have to use.

Some only ask for a TM30 once unless you change addresses.

I have never been asked for one in over 8 years at the office up here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

Is the landlord supposed to pay tax on rental income?

I suspect some house owners just do not want to declare any renters and to acknowledge a farang lives there puts them on someone's radar.

Many people do not have rental agreements, they are just in effect crashing with their Thai gik/partner who rents, getting a landlord to complete a TM30 in this situation may be problematic or result in a rent increase for Farang opportunity.

Now if the TM 30 could be done by the individual without agreement from house owner who wants a quiet life then it might make this more matched to what happens in the real world.

Airbnb landlords similarly want to stay off the radar.

Now of course if getting the tax is the primary objective of TM 30 then its the landlords that they are targeting through individuals and the harassing of visitors is just a byproduct of this. 

Whether they pay taxes on it depends upon their other annual income. Many don't declare any income unless the are working for company that deduct taxes.

Immigration does not report anything to the revenue department.

If stay with a friend/partner you can use their rental agreement with a statement you are living with them and they could fill out the TM30 form as the possessor.

17 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

Its technically the 'housemaster' - which is the renter (?) when I got fined it was my wife that immigration wanted to attend, when over the phone she flat refused to attend I signed a form the staff wrote out and I signed the form in Thai, and paid the fine. When I filed a tm30 - I just took her, ID, the Tabian baan and completed my own form.

Checked, stamped and finished.

Im still majorly confused about repeating it, I only do it, prior to requesting a certificate of residence.

For info.

We (my wife) do it by registered mail in Bangkok.

We tried it once in the past and it works. We have since done it several times without problems.
Use the same procedure and address as a 90-day notice by mail.
Just sent the two completed forms of the TM30. No copy of ID card or Tambien Baan. (They also never asked us)
They return the receipt after a week and I keep it in my passport.

Edited by Merron

16 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

I stay at girlfriend's house in small village near Phan Khon (30 minutes from Sakon Nakhon) and we have never filled out this form. I'm thinking about doing it this year. Any advice of where to go etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you needed to do it would be done at the immigration office in Sakon Nakon.

Address is.

Chai Pha Suk Rd. 
Tambon Tha Tu Choeng Chum 
Amphoe Muenag 
Sakon Nakhon 47000 

ด่านตรวจคนเข้าเมือง 
ถ.ใจผาสุข 
ต.ธาตุเชิงชุม 
อ.เมือง 
จ.สกลนคร 47000 

I can only speak for my personal experience.  I'm living here on an annual O-A "retirement" visa and moved from one rental property to another in July. My current landlord and his Thai wife live in UK.  I filed the change of address form with local immigration office when I moved and asked about house owner submitting TM30.  I was told "not your problem".  However, as others have posted on various threads and topics, there may be some variation in how rules are applied at different locations.

My TM30 experience.  Have to step out every 3 mo on multiple O non-imm visa.  Sadly, the TM30 law has an "or" in it.  So it is the house owner "or" the Housemaster.  Housemaster definition includes the renter (Thai or Farang) of the house.  My Thai wife rents the house, she is on the lease, I'm not.  Came back from Laos 2 weeks ago, house owner was in BKK, so it was our responsibility to file a TM30 (have the .doc version on my computer so can easily make changes, thanks Don's Life http://donslifeinthailand.com/Immigration_Forms.html ) within 24hrs of me being back in the house, which we did.  Luckily, we are in Chiang Mai, just popped over to the airport Imm area bld 3 behind the regular immigration office (Pomenada Imm office won't do these), handed them my passport, the TM30 doc, the wife's ID card, and the rental agreement.  Ten min later I had the new stamped bottom portion of the TM30 handed to me to staple in my passport.  I would take travel docs to show when you got back from overseas just in case.

• Like 2

OP - In some provinces, like Chiang Mai, your visa application or extension will denied unless there is a TM30 on file for you.  This is why your employer is advising you to make sure your landlord has filed a TM30 because they want to make sure you're able to stay in the country legally.

Here in Phuket must Landlord fill out the TM 30 and deliver to Immigration.

And next time you stamp for 90 days you will need:

1. The rental contract.
2.Copy of the House Book.
3. A copy of the Landlord Id card.
4. And of course kpoier of your passport.
5. So you get one paper that are placed in your passport and it tells att you are registered at this address, here in Phuket are NOT stamped 90-day show you have not paramount in advance.

And NO school can make 90 days report for you, you most meet up self.

5 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

Here in Phuket must Landlord fill out the TM 30 and deliver to Immigration.

And next time you stamp for 90 days you will need:

1. The rental contract.
2.Copy of the House Book.
3. A copy of the Landlord Id card.
4. And of course kpoier of your passport.
5. So you get one paper that are placed in your passport and it tells att you are registered at this address, here in Phuket are NOT stamped 90-day show you have not paramount in advance.

And NO school can make 90 days report for you, you most meet up self.

Is the landlord ID card a new requirement ?

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Is the landlord ID card a new requirement ?

From Immigration in Phuket:

Address Registration

Every foreigner entering Thailand has to be registered at immigration within 24 Hrs of arrival.
Tourist who are staying in hotels don't have to do this as the hotel is responsible for the registration.
Foreigners who are staying in private accommodations (visiting family/friends or renting house etc) have to be registered by the landlord or owner of the premises.
All other foreigners have to make sure for them self that they are registered.
The address registration can be done online if registered for this service or at the immigration office.

Short term visitors have to be registered after every entry in the country or change of accommodation.
Long term residents have to update the address registration after any permanent address change. 

Required papers:

Completely filled in proof of residence application form.   Click here to download Registration of Residence

Copies from following passport pages:

Detail page
Current visa/extension (if applicable)
Last entry stamp
TM6 departure card

Signed Copy of house owner ID card/passport
Signed copy of house book
Signed copy of rental agreement or land owner company paper if applicable.

The address registration can be done at:
– Phuket Town Main Immigration office room 101.
– Patong Beach Immigration office.

Updated : July 2016

Disclaimer :
Phuket Immigration Volunteers can not accept any liability for the content of this website, or for the consequences of any actions taken on basis of the information provided.
Immigration officers can ask for any additional information which they deemed necessary to support your application

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

From Immigration in Phuket:

Address Registration

Every foreigner entering Thailand has to be registered at immigration within 24 Hrs of arrival.
Tourist who are staying in hotels don't have to do this as the hotel is responsible for the registration.
Foreigners who are staying in private accommodations (visiting family/friends or renting house etc) have to be registered by the landlord or owner of the premises.
All other foreigners have to make sure for them self that they are registered.
The address registration can be done online if registered for this service or at the immigration office.

Short term visitors have to be registered after every entry in the country or change of accommodation.
Long term residents have to update the address registration after any permanent address change. 

Required papers:

Completely filled in proof of residence application form.   Click here to download Registration of Residence

Copies from following passport pages:

Detail page
Current visa/extension (if applicable)
Last entry stamp
TM6 departure card

Signed Copy of house owner ID card/passport
Signed copy of house book
Signed copy of rental agreement or land owner company paper if applicable.

The address registration can be done at:
– Phuket Town Main Immigration office room 101.
– Patong Beach Immigration office.

Updated : July 2016

Disclaimer :
Phuket Immigration Volunteers can not accept any liability for the content of this website, or for the consequences of any actions taken on basis of the information provided.
Immigration officers can ask for any additional information which they deemed necessary to support your application

What happens if the owner will not provide copy of blue book and ID, or owner is not contactable ?

Then you go to Immigration and tell them about your Land Lord he don`t want to give you copy then hi have BIG problem, if you have the telefon nr to the Land Lord you give that to Immigration and they call hime pronto, if he don`t take the call they coming home to hime + Tax Office tell hime that. And that`s not good for hime  15 % tax + 60 % penalty tax so it is up to him or her to fiks the paper :)

Edited by nasa123
make 2 off the same.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What happens if the owner will not provide copy of blue book and ID, or owner is not contactable ?

Then you go to Immigration and tell them about your Land Lord he don`t want to give you copy then hi have BIG problem, if you have the telefon nr to the Land Lord you give that to Immigration and they call hime pronto, if he don`t take the call they coming home to hime + Tax Office tell hime that. And that`s not good for hime  15 % tax + 60 % penalty tax so it is up to him or her to fiks the paper :)

22 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Big money involved as it appears that nearly every foreigner who lives in Thailand is worth at least another 1600 baht in the coffers.

Don't be surprised to see the TM28 getting the same treatment in the not too distant future.

I don`t pay fore this address registration in Phuket.

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

OP - In some provinces, like Chiang Mai, your visa application or extension will denied unless there is a TM30 on file for you.  This is why your employer is advising you to make sure your landlord has filed a TM30 because they want to make sure you're able to stay in the country legally.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you needed to do it would be done at the immigration office in Sakon Nakon.

Address is.

Chai Pha Suk Rd. 
Tambon Tha Tu Choeng Chum 
Amphoe Muenag 
Sakon Nakhon 47000 

ด่านตรวจคนเข้าเมือง 
ถ.ใจผาสุข 
ต.ธาตุเชิงชุม 
อ.เมือง 
จ.สกลนคร 47000 

Look at this Web side from Phuket, it`s very good.

Phuket Immigration Volunteers
Have make a very good web site :

Piv-phuket.com
And go to pin Members, and password are : Piv2016  (Big P)

Went and asked the reception desk at my condo (+300 rooms) for my TM30 recipe copy.

The irrate manageress came out and told me they'd never heard of such document, and hurried off.

Further investigations, going to the police for a copy etc, revealed that this denial is standard, cost saving, reply by many condos.

Went to an agency to sort it out, no problems or extra cost to me.

Edited by mankondang
sp

2 hours ago, nasa123 said:

Phuket Immigration Volunteers
 Have make a very good web site :

Piv-phuket.com

And go to pin Members, and password are : Piv2016  (Big P)

Thank you so very much for that.  Didn't know it existed and I am sure it will be most useful.

always found the volunteers to be helpful at Phuket and Patong.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mankondang said:

Went and asked the reception desk at my condo (+300 rooms) for my TM30 recipe copy.

The irrate manageress came out and told me they'd never heard of such document, and hurried off.

Further investigations, going to the police for a copy etc, revealed that this denial is standard, cost saving, reply by many condos.

Went to an agency to sort it out, no problems or extra cost to me.

555555555 to the Manager. Every Hotell or what most send in info about you to Immigration before 24 hour,They now and this places do it online.

Edited by nasa123
  • Like 1