Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

15 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

All of those farangs who love thailand so much as says all the other expats who are leaving are poor losers etc......well I hope that one day you become the receiving end of what is really happenning in thailand these days. Watch this video and listen to what the guy says in thai.

I never said I love Thailand, but I have a great life here, easy, with no problems.

If things were to change for me, I would just go, not make a song and dance about it on here. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2016 at 1:28 AM, Canceraid said:

All of those farangs who love thailand so much as says all the other expats who are leaving are poor losers etc......well I hope that one day you become the receiving end of what is really happenning in thailand these days. Watch this video and listen to what the guy says in thai.

On 11/11/2016 at 1:45 AM, Thaiwrath said:

I never said I love Thailand, but I have a great life here, easy, with no problems.

If things were to change for me, I would just go, not make a song and dance about it on here. 

I think both of you are right in a sense. I tend to think I am one incident away from a bad situation, but rather play the risk for now. One of the things I do to lessen that risk is not drive a car or a motorcycle and be extra careful crossing the road. The other risk is the girls but 'er...........

• Like 1

Is this still going on?

Even Trump can't trump it!

I considered it, I went to Cambodia for a week, it was 6 days too many!  I remembered the Philippines -before the lunatic took over the asylum, NO THANKS! I don't trust Malaysia to remain MSH friendly, and I can't handle the claustrophobia (or costs) of Singapore, Hong Kong or Vietnam's endless traffic chaos.

I guess 'Sabailand' will have to do...

There are worse places to live right now, and some of them are actually in the so called 'top ten' global destinations! Maybe if you have a CEO package, but since most of us live in the real world...

• Like 1

On 11/11/2016 at 8:28 AM, Canceraid said:

So some <deleted> in a benz trash talks a geriatric, and you want me to shit my pants? I'd have kicked that hi-so prick in the balls, not chit chat. When I get out of my car, you are going down, because, I am beyond peace talks at that point.

Edited by dhream

On 10/11/2016 at 2:37 PM, SheungWan said:

There's nothing quite like taking a good look at oneself in the mirror to discover one's deep seated unhappiness. I personally recommend Penhaligon's Bayolea Facial Scrub, though where one would get this in Pattaya I really don't know, so probably a justified reason for moving out.

penhaligon.jpg

Very droll, upvoted!

• Like 1

On 09/11/2016 at 9:17 AM, Ace of Pop said:

Ex Pats,isn't that someone who made it in the World,then came here to relax..or is it someone who came here to early .Perhaps that's non P.C., to the ENTITLED generation

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

In my experience, the guys who came here to relax are the ones who can't afford to relax developed countries  - places like Hawaii or Monaco.

I've been an expat for 31 years. Personally, I don't call retired pensioners expats, although some do.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2016 at 8:28 AM, Canceraid said:

Please tell us what he said, as I heard nothing out of the ordinary.

On 10/11/2016 at 3:03 PM, mcfish said:

Good post. The reason given by most for leaving is they feel unloved by the thai people. They are in for a big shock when they hit home turf...

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Exactly!

We make our own 'love' in the world you get mostly of what you give in life, anywhere.

Are there Thai arseholeeos?  

Of course!

But we all run on the same 'clockwork', only the 'paint jobs' differ.

I think almost all of them have other reasons that they cannot or will not be open about, or ...ahhh who cares?

if you are over it leave. 

Your new mates in whatever pub or bar you land in 'back home' will give you a platform to bitch all night, or maybe they'll just smack you in the moaning mouth, after too many...

1 hour ago, chinostar said:

Half of the expat is leaving so the other half stays? Which part of the body? I hope to leave soon in one piece.

Its an out-of-body experience. There are one or two transcendental meditation centres on Soi Buakaow where one can get this.

22 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

In my experience, the guys who came here to relax are the ones who can't afford to relax developed countries  - places like Hawaii or Monaco.

I've been an expat for 31 years. Personally, I don't call retired pensioners expats, although some do.

It costs an absolute SHITLOAD to retire in Hawaii or Monaco. I mean serious money! There is no shame at all in retiring here, why should there be?

It's warm, old guys can rent all the love they want, and it's affordable in general.  Only a malcontent would dream the grass is greener anywhere else, and while this place may have its problems, the 'west' is about to get very very ugly indeed, and that has NOTHING to do with who runs what, the monetary system is on freaking life support in the west!

Edited by dhream
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Your now 41 by now then "O Entitled One".No im a Teacher bla bla bla

• Like 1

On 09/11/2016 at 5:01 PM, Naam said:

a lot depends on individual circumstances. over the years i lured six friends to Pattaya. two of them couldn't cope at all and returned after a rather short time. another two are spending 6 months here and 3  months in their home countries (Germany and Switzerland) and 3 months travelling. the remaining two have completed 2, respectively 3 years and are quite happy.

Please  share you you lured them here!

It can't be the people, as we all know that Pattaya attracts the lower rungs of Thai society, the prostitutes, pimps, druggies and other similar criminal element.  

Maybe it's the beautiful golden sands and clear water snorkeling that is better than Phuket, for example? :cheesy:

Maybe the interesting expats and their wives that retire there?

Maybe as it is the spiritual Mecca of Thailand?

Go on, tell us why Gunther and Helmut were lured here.

53 minutes ago, nausea said:

We all know what it's about. Stop that, and it will all collapse like a deck of cards. Farangs who live in Pattaya and claim innocence ...  weĺl, you have a lot if face, I'll say that for you.

Leave him alone, he has a right to shag whoever he wants so long as its consensual adults, and foreigners who use the word 'farang' deserve no respect, go sterilize your probing tongue after you've measured how far up you can push it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Your now 41 by now then "O Entitled One".No im a Teacher bla bla bla

Expats usually choose to leave their native country for a career boost, or to fulfill a personal dream or goal, rather than as a result of dire economic necessity. Working for British gas or the US Postal Service for 45 years and meeting a woman on "Thailustlines" doesn't do it for me. I've actually never met a pensioner who wished he hadn't moved here before he/she did. 

On 09/11/2016 at 5:01 PM, Naam said:

a lot depends on individual circumstances. over the years i lured six friends to Pattaya. two of them couldn't cope at all and returned after a rather short time. another two are spending 6 months here and 3  months in their home countries (Germany and Switzerland) and 3 months travelling. the remaining two have completed 2, respectively 3 years and are quite happy.

You make it sound like you had a dungeon existence planned for them! no wonder they gapped it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Expats usually choose to leave their native country for a career boost, or to fulfill a personal dream or goal, rather than as a result of dire economic necessity. Working for British gas or the US Postal Service for 45 years and meeting a woman on "Thailustlines" doesn't do it for me. I've actually never met a pensioner who wished he hadn't moved here before he/she did. 

Meet me!

On 09/11/2016 at 9:55 AM, seancbk said:

What a charming chap you are.  

Can't say I'm remotely surprised that your account has been suspended before and cancelled twice.  Hardly something to be proud about.

Suspect you'll be heading towards future suspensions pretty quick with your unfriendly attitude.

Bobs down to his ninth life! it takes A LOT to get banned off here, and boasting about it is lame as framboise tartine.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I considered all my moves, prior to actually making them happen;

California - Nebraska

Nebraska - UK

UK- Japan

Japan - South Dakota

South Dakota - Singapore

Singapore - South Korea

South Korea - China

China - Germany

Germany - Taiwan

Taiwan - Thailand

And yes I have of course considered moving from Thailand, any rational person wouldn't. The one thing that distinguishes all my other relocations was they were to and from stable democracies (exc China), I never planned for the bolthole emergency relo from any of them..maybe China

That is actually changes my thinking about Thailand. I do plan an unexpected relo if the situation really took a dive, something I had never really considered in all my travels before

15 hours ago, Johnniey said:
On 11/9/2016 at 9:17 AM, Ace of Pop said:

Ex Pats,isn't that someone who made it in the World,then came here to relax..or is it someone who came here to early .Perhaps that's non P.C., to the ENTITLED generation

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Retirees are not expats, unless they were expats when they retired.    

My definition of an expat is someone who has lived and worked overseas in a high paying job (expat deal obviously) for the majority of their life.

28 minutes ago, seancbk said:

My definition of an expat is someone who has lived and worked overseas in a high paying job (expat deal obviously) for the majority of their life.

Are you an expat?

20 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Until 25 years ago an Expat meant you were working in another country. A retired person was only included in this if they had worked in said country for some time and or had some kind of association with it..

Expats who loved the status of having an expat package were known as Pain in the A-- BH or blowhards, or one af many less polite terms that cannot be mentioned here.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Your definition is what I use to think an expat was too.

but a few years after I moved to Thailand I thought an expat was anyone who was no longer living in their country of citizenship....hence ex-patriot

Since then we have moved back/re-patriated  to the US

Tomato/tomahto

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Johnniey said:

........ I've actually never met a pensioner who wished he hadn't moved here before he/she did. 

15 hours ago, dhream said:

Meet me!

... and me.

(Although I'm reading your quote to mean "I've actually never met a pensioner who didn't wish he'd moved here before he/she did").

The only reason I'm in Thailand is to be with my wife - who I met in UK, BTW. 

Without her, I'd never have considered Thailand even for a holiday.

If anything happened to her, I'd leave.

Having said that, I'm more than happy here and enjoy the lifestyle (which is not an expensive one) I have with her a lot but that's due to her influence, not Thailand's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Naam said:

like it or not, your definition is irrelevant. the expression "expatriate" is derived from latin "ex patria" = "out of fatherland". therefore anybody living in another country than his "home" country is an expat.

Words change in meaning. For example "egregious" comes from the Latin 'egregius',  meaning something good, however the word means the opposite now. "Addict" is another word from the Latin 'addictus', which means people with no money given as slaves to their debtors, nothing like nowadays.

In the lexicon of human migration there are still hierarchical words, created with the purpose of putting white people above everyone else. One of those remnants is the word “expat”.  If I go to work in your country, Germany, I am called an "expat" but Africans, Arabs and Asians are not. They are called immigrants -  go figure.

So there is no simple dictionary definition of the word and everyone has the right to an opinion.

Are the members here and the ones polled,  immigrant workers, foreign workers, aliens, expats, sexpats or what?

• Like 1