Trump wins White House in astonishing victory

webfact

22 hours ago, Morch said:

I didn't bring the Chinese wall up. I was pointing out it wasn't a good example to use.

Excellent, that's pretty much was my point all along this topic (and others) since this deflection came up. At least we agree on something.

Just looked at how Obama's hair has grown white from the stress of the presidency.

To paraphrase the president elect: "I got hair. I got the best hair". :smile:

Wrong. You said The Great Wall of China did not save the Chinese. I was pointing out that it DID save the Chinese for hundreds of years.

Deflect away.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

<snip>

How can anyone criticize him when he hasn't actually done anything to criticize? Live in the past if you want to, but Trump and his supporters are moving on to the future.

<snip2>

I don't live in the past -- I live in Thailand. I have always told people in USA -- long before this year -- that Thailand is the farthest you can get away from the US East Coast (12 time zones) or else you're coming back. Trump may or may not do great things but the USA is very resilient and I don't expect he can really screw things up that much in 2 years which which is when he would lose the Congressional Majority if he does.

Edited by JLCrab

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Wrong. You said The Great Wall of China did not save the Chinese. I was pointing out that it DID save the Chinese for hundreds of years.

Deflect away.

I was just using The Great Wall of China as an example of how ancient nations could build huge structures, and now, 2000 years later some forum members are suggesting a wall to keep Mexicans out is too hard, therefore Trump will fail on his promise. The Great Wall of China was built to defend against armies. Trump's wall only has to keep pedestrians out.

Edited by tropo

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

I was just using The Great Wall of China as an example of how ancient nations could build huge structures, and now, 2000 years later some forum members are suggesting a wall to keep Mexicans out is too hard, therefore Trump will fail on his promise. The Great Wall of China was built to defend against armies. Trump's wall only has to keep pedestrians out.

????? Unless you are Morch, I wasn't replying to you.

However, I'd agree with what you say in this post.

What people have to remember though, is that the Chinese WALL didn't keep the enemy out, the troops that were stationed on it did.

Therefore, having more border guards that are allowed to do their job is as important as the barrier itself.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

????? Unless you are Morch, I wasn't replying to you.

However, I'd agree with what you say in this post.

What people have to remember though, is that the Chinese WALL didn't keep the enemy out, the troops that were stationed on it did.

Therefore, having more border guards that are allowed to do their job is as important as the barrier itself.

No, I'm not Morch. I was just making a comment on the subject as I originally mentioned the Great Wall of China and started this debate, which in hindsight I wish I hadn't. I don't know much about the history of the Great Wall and what it achieved, but that was never my point. It was about the enormity of the construction.

22 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I don't live in the past -- I live in Thailand. I have always told people in USA -- long before this year -- that Thailand is the farthest you can get away from the US East Coast (12 time zones) or else you're coming back. Trump may or may not do great things but the USA is very resilient and I don't expect he can really screw things up that much in 2 years which which is when he would lose the Congressional Majority if he does.

I don't expect he can really screw things up that much in 2 years which which is when he would lose the Congressional Majority if he does.

Exactly, and I wish the hysterical ones would remember that.

We are even getting people saying there will be re education camps like Vietnam post 1973. Madness.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't expect he can really screw things up that much in 2 years which which is when he would lose the Congressional Majority if he does.

Exactly, and I wish the hysterical ones would remember that.

We are even getting people saying there will be re education camps like Vietnam post 1973. Madness.

The next two years are not just about Trump's performance but also about how the DP responds. If Trump's win sends them into a mental breakdown and the party swings definitively into an Elizabeth Warren/Bernie Saunders style weirdness, then a future similar to that of the UK Labour Party beckons, namely irrelevance. The real action will be elsewhere.

If anyone wants to see the people that support Trump and elected him, watch the film "Citizen Soldier". The segment when the dead soldier is given a send off in his home town is very illuminating, with hundreds ( ?thousands ) of people lining the route waving American flags. To the people of the American heartland, Obama's policies are probably anathema, and 4 more years of his policies would be 4 years too many.

The next two years are not just about Trump's performance but also about how the DP responds. If Trump's win sends them into a mental breakdown and the party swings definitively into an Elizabeth Warren/Bernie Saunders style weirdness, then a future similar to that of the UK Labour Party beckons, namely irrelevance. The real action will be elsewhere.

Maybe but as soon as the rust belt types that believed the con man about bringing back those dead industry jobs for lesser educated workers they'll be ripe to come back home to Donkey land. The sharp ones realize they've been conned already. Regrexit style.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course all assessments are currently irrelevant, as who knows if that was the man that will be president till he's actually been president. He's been different since the election.

If he was doing things like appointing his son to chief of staff he'd be guilty of being foolish in the extreme, and then stone away, but he didn't.

I'm saying that people should wait till he's done something before casting stones.

I'm not psychic so I can't say what he'll do, but I'm offended by the tone of some on here and trying to point out that they are suffering a severe case of sour grapes.

How can anyone criticize him when he hasn't actually done anything to criticize? Live in the past if you want to, but Trump and his supporters are moving on to the future.

The antis are just crying into the wind because they LOST. Boo hoo.

Trump's whole campaign image rested on the premise that he's not your everyday politician. That what you see (and hear) is what you'll get. It was often claimed on this forum by Trump supporters. On the other hand, there were quite a few of those opposed to Trump who called it out differently. Now, however, after Trump's victory, and his apparent immediate "adjustments" of things said on the campaign trail, Trump supporters come up with a whole lot of explanations which basically contradict the original premise.

If all assessments regarding what Trump did, does and will do are currently to be put on hold, would his supporters kindly can it about him making good on his campaign promises? Yeah, guess not. Nobody is casting stones, and nobody should be throwing flowers. We are addressing what he said on the campaign trail, and what he (apparently) says and does immediately after the campaign. If there are posters finding the gap between the two disconcerting or surprising, they ought to direct their complaints at the president elect.

If one can praise Trump for things he haven't done yet, how come it isn't possible to criticize him for these very things? If Trump said he'll do this or that, and now seems to be,  let's say...less resolute, less decisive, or even less consistent (if the latter is possible) with regard to these campaign trail promises and slogans - what's the issue with pointing it out, or pointing out this was some posters assessment all along?

You seem to be among those who believe that an election victory means the opposition have to cast away its views (even when these are correct). Let me free you from this illusion - doesn't work this way.

Deflect away.

I see that @tropo already sorted for you who said what and why. Glad I don't have to. Usually helps to read back before barging into a previous exchange. And you can keep bringing up inane and irrelevant partial historical examples, still wouldn't make your case, wouldn't be relevant and wouldn't cause Trump's wall to be built. Now - deflect away.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe but as soon as the rust belt types that believed the con man about bringing back those dead industry jobs for lesser educated workers they'll be ripe to come back home to Donkey land. The sharp ones realize they've been conned already. Regrexit style.

Perhaps. But I think the Democrat party will be wiser to rely on more than waiting for Trump's failure. Addressing some of the issues that cropped up over these elections, reaching out to the electorate, losing some of that elitist flare.

Perhaps. But I think the Democrat party will be wiser to rely on more than waiting for Trump's failure. Addressing some of the issues that cropped up over these elections, reaching out to the electorate, losing some of that elitist flare.

With what power? They have nothing now but senate filibuster which trump has the power to order senate republicans to suspend.

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

With what power? They have nothing now but senate filibuster which trump has the power to order senate republicans to suspend.

Oh, you're still with the "resistance" slogan?

Your post, as I read it predicted voters will migrate back to the Democrat Party once they realize Trump's failure.

I think that people underestimate the power to market failure as success, or at least provide excuses and diversions.

I also think, the Democrat Party should review some of its rhetoric, the way it reaches out for potential voters and the way it is perceived by large tracts of the electorate. This probably should take place on a national level, but at the very least be applies swing states, and states "lost" in the recent elections.

Proclaiming Resistance, donning Star Wars symbols and engaging in futile (but publicly annoying) parliamentary tactics is all very fine. Given it's Trump, it might be enough in 4 years, or it won't. All I'm saying is that there are issues pertaining to the Democrat Party which effected the results of the elections, Trump or no Trump. Would be wiser to address them.

The easiest way to get those voters back or to have retained them for that matter, is to serve their needs and stop lying to them. Instead, the Democrats are going in a different, all too familiar direction.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/democrats-soros-trump-231313

Edited by lannarebirth

18 hours ago, Morch said:

I see that @tropo already sorted for you who said what and why. Glad I don't have to. Usually helps to read back before barging into a previous exchange. And you can keep bringing up inane and irrelevant partial historical examples, still wouldn't make your case, wouldn't be relevant and wouldn't cause Trump's wall to be built. Now - deflect away.

Let's see. Wasn't it YOU that brought up irrelevant partial historical examples when YOU said the wall didn't save the Chinese, when it did.

19 hours ago, Morch said:

Trump's whole campaign image rested on the premise that he's not your everyday politician. That what you see (and hear) is what you'll get. It was often claimed on this forum by Trump supporters. On the other hand, there were quite a few of those opposed to Trump who called it out differently. Now, however, after Trump's victory, and his apparent immediate "adjustments" of things said on the campaign trail, Trump supporters come up with a whole lot of explanations which basically contradict the original premise.

If all assessments regarding what Trump did, does and will do are currently to be put on hold, would his supporters kindly can it about him making good on his campaign promises? Yeah, guess not. Nobody is casting stones, and nobody should be throwing flowers. We are addressing what he said on the campaign trail, and what he (apparently) says and does immediately after the campaign. If there are posters finding the gap between the two disconcerting or surprising, they ought to direct their complaints at the president elect.

If one can praise Trump for things he haven't done yet, how come it isn't possible to criticize him for these very things? If Trump said he'll do this or that, and now seems to be,  let's say...less resolute, less decisive, or even less consistent (if the latter is possible) with regard to these campaign trail promises and slogans - what's the issue with pointing it out, or pointing out this was some posters assessment all along?

You seem to be among those who believe that an election victory means the opposition have to cast away its views (even when these are correct). Let me free you from this illusion - doesn't work this way.

If anyone actually believed a wanabe politician on the campaign trail I have a bridge for sale. I, and I'm sure many, supported him because he isn't her, not because of the rhetoric.

If anyone missed it, the vote was a repudiation of Obama and anyone associated with him.

I don't think I have been claiming he will actually DO anything except wash away as much of Obama's legacy as he can. If he eliminates most of Obama's regulations- good start, if he replaces Obamacare- good result, if he makes other countries stop taking advantage of the US- excellent, if he deals to IS- great.

If all he does is not be that awful woman, has an attractive first lady and doesn't make things worse than they already are, he will be remembered as a good president.

15 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

The easiest way to get those voters back or to have retained them for that matter, is to serve their needs and stop lying to them. Instead, the Democrats are going in a different, all too familiar direction.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/democrats-soros-trump-231313

It would have helped the Dems if they hadn't put up a lying, corrupt, 1% hypocrite as a candidate. Even Bernie would probably have won by a landslide.

48 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Let's see. Wasn't it YOU that brought up irrelevant partial historical examples when YOU said the wall didn't save the Chinese, when it did.

No. My comments were in a reply to other posters, posts. Try paying attention.

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If anyone actually believed a wanabe politician on the campaign trail I have a bridge for sale. I, and I'm sure many, supported him because he isn't her, not because of the rhetoric.

If anyone missed it, the vote was a repudiation of Obama and anyone associated with him.

I don't think I have been claiming he will actually DO anything except wash away as much of Obama's legacy as he can. If he eliminates most of Obama's regulations- good start, if he replaces Obamacare- good result, if he makes other countries stop taking advantage of the US- excellent, if he deals to IS- great.

If all he does is not be that awful woman, has an attractive first lady and doesn't make things worse than they already are, he will be remembered as a good president.

Backpedaling too, eh?

Trump supporters on this forum DID post about Trump not being your everyday politician, when other posters said he was just that. Trump supporters DID post about Trump saying it like it is and meaning exactly what he said, when other posters said it ain't so. I never said each and every supporter bought wholly into it, but judging from comments and posts on this forum - many either did, or pretended to.

There were and there are posts by Trump supporters already celebrating and praising him for mere promises, and projections of what he might to - rather than actual actions taken. At the same time, criticism along the same lines, or even with regard to his statements is rejected. I think some posters need to sort out what their argument actually is. 

On ‎15‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 2:50 PM, Morch said:

Backpedaling too, eh?

Trump supporters on this forum DID post about Trump not being your everyday politician, when other posters said he was just that. Trump supporters DID post about Trump saying it like it is and meaning exactly what he said, when other posters said it ain't so. I never said each and every supporter bought wholly into it, but judging from comments and posts on this forum - many either did, or pretended to.

There were and there are posts by Trump supporters already celebrating and praising him for mere promises, and projections of what he might to - rather than actual actions taken. At the same time, criticism along the same lines, or even with regard to his statements is rejected. I think some posters need to sort out what their argument actually is. 

My argument, such as it was, is that she would have been terrible for the world and anyone else would be better. Luckily Trump won, so the world is spared a terrible fate.

In a perfect world, all he could do would be to remove every trace of Obama, including most of his regulations, and put constitutional judges on SCOTUS. Other than that the house would oppose everything he wanted to do so no new laws got passed. The best result for any country is that the politicians can't actually do anything, as they invariably make things worse.

I'm sure the individual states would survive just fine without the federal government messing things up more than they already are.

My argument, such as it was, is that she would have been terrible for the world and anyone else would be better. Luckily Trump won, so the world is spared a terrible fate.

In a perfect world, all he could do would be to remove every trace of Obama, including most of his regulations, and put constitutional judges on SCOTUS. Other than that the house would oppose everything he wanted to do so no new laws got passed. The best result for any country is that the politicians can't actually do anything, as they invariably make things worse.

I'm sure the individual states would survive just fine without the federal government messing things up more than they already are.

As said elsewhere, nihilism. Tear it all down. Make America great again....err.