Is a 125 motorbike sufficient for a trip?

Hal65

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Good post Robbo, I would never even think of using a GPS on a motorbike, your eyes have to be on the road all the time except for quick glances in the mirror, or a quick look over your shoulder to check your blind side.

I am not telling you something you don't know, but the state of some Thai roads, and your average Thai driver and rider means you cannot keep looking at a gps all the time like on a car.

The road I took several times from Bangkok to Pattaya is very easy, but I have stopped doing it because of not being allowed on the highway all the way down past Don Muang, ( I was coming from Nakhon Sawan) it might just be worth it, if I could keep 300 Bt in my pocket for the BiB.

My experience with GPS differs, rely on them rather a lot. Important to be able to hear instruction I find as well. Screen watching is minimal and often the glare often would not permit this.

Have ridden our little Honda wave 100 on several long trips, (such as NongKhai/ChiangMai in one day) and then moved up to a Honda phantom 200cc, which is perfect for mountain roads but not really big enough for the multi-lane highways. If I had the money I would once again move up to something around 400cc or more.
       So much depends on the speeds you like to travel at and the roads you plan to take!

Agreed.. I rode drz400sm from Singapore to phuket in 1 day.. only problem was tank too small, had to stop every 200km for refill

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The bike is 'big enough' for a trip of any distance, but 'safe enough'?  Probably not, and nothing to do with the bike Iitself, but driver behaviour.

I had a friend who rode a 125 Honda around Australia about 35 years ago, logged more than 10,000 kms, in under 3 weeks, but Australian drivers aren't Thai drivers!!

I bet his butt is still aching.

I've ridden a small bike from Kanchanaburi to Sangklaburi many times, but that's a country road.

Honestly it doesn't matter. 

If you can ride, you will get there on any bike. A small displacement bike is not any more dangerous, contrary to popular belief. 

Your chances of survival ain't gonna decrease magically just because the bike you are on has less cylinders and tops out at about a hundred. 

I have done it, I would never do it again coz it takes some twelve hours which makes it plain stupid. I also like to go faster than my guardian angel so I stay away from those bikes but they are sufficient. Why wouldn't they be? 

1 hour ago, A1Str8 said:

Honestly it doesn't matter. 

If you can ride, you will get there on any bike. A small displacement bike is not any more dangerous, contrary to popular belief. 

Your chances of survival ain't gonna decrease magically just because the bike you are on has less cylinders and tops out at about a hundred. 

I have done it, I would never do it again coz it takes some twelve hours which makes it plain stupid. I also like to go faster than my guardian angel so I stay away from those bikes but they are sufficient. Why wouldn't they be? 

Isn't it one of the rider's defenses to go faster than other traffic by a hair? I read a while back that this puts you in more control, as you are the one navigating the obstacles and controlling the blind spots.

Did PTY-BKK-PTY on a 100cc Honda Dream many years ago on route 3. Wouldn't do it again. Haven't been to BKK for at least 16 years. Wouldn't go to BKK now by any form of transport period.

Did PTY-CHANTABURI-PTY & PTY-TRAT-PTY (separate trips) just a few years ago on a 110cc JRD. That was fun and I'd do it again if I had some reason to go there again.

Rode all over the Himalayan foothills in Nepal and India. Kathmandu, Pokhara, Darjeeling, Sikkim, Bhutan and down to Bodh Gaya on an Indian made 125cc two-stroke. More than 6,000 kms in 6 months.

No problem with small bikes just take it easy and make plenty of rest stops.

No GPS, no smartphone, just maps, a compass and asking directions.

Edited by Keesters

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

Did PTY-BKK-PTY on a 100cc Honda Dream many years ago on route 3. Wouldn't do it again. Haven't been to BKK for at least 16 years. Wouldn't go to BKK now by any form of transport period.

Did PTY-CHANTABURI-PTY & PTY-TRAT-PTY (separate trips) just a few years ago on a 110cc JRD. That was fun and I'd do it again if I had some reason to go there again.

Rode all over the Himalayan foothills in Nepal and India. Kathmandu, Pokhara, Darjeeling, Sikkim, Bhutan and down to Bodh Gaya on an Indian made 125cc two-stroke. More than 6,000 kms in 6 months.

No problem with small bikes just take it easy and make plenty of rest stops.

No GPS, no smartphone, just maps, a compass and asking directions.

The India trip seems interesting!

Maps and asking, that is how i am navigating in Vietnam now. Frustrating at times, but time permitting more fun.

Slightly off topic; we will arrive into Swampy at 10:30pm Boxing Day. Have booked Small car.  Have to spend a few days around Lop/Sing Buri. At that time is it better to book a 24 hr check in in Sara Buri or Make straight for Sing Buri? I'v Googled it but would appreciate advice from people who know the drill.

9 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Isn't it one of the rider's defenses to go faster than other traffic by a hair? I read a while back that this puts you in more control, as you are the one navigating the obstacles and controlling the blind spots.

That's true that they say that but it doesn't make sense. The faster you go, the more risk you put yourself at. The faster you go, the less control you have over the bike, the more difficult navigation becomes. 

17 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

That's true that they say that but it doesn't make sense. The faster you go, the more risk you put yourself at. The faster you go, the less control you have over the bike, the more difficult navigation becomes. 

Of course it makes sense.. but as with all rules there are exceptions.. if the road traffic goes 80 and you go 90.. makes perfect sense. It is still easy to control a bike at those speeds.. but if the other traffic goes 150 or so.. that would make it hard. I prefer to drive a bit faster than the rest of the traffic so I don't get run over from behind. But of course I won't go faster than what i consider a speed at witch I still have good control of my bike. 

Of course I won't pretend to be an expert biker so maybe you can blow my opinion out of the water. And yes I know look in your mirrors.

Nothing wrong if the guy wants to give it a go.  I take regular trips on my PCX 150 between Khon Kaen and Mara Sahasarahkam when the wife is up to the village with the kids.  Takes me about 1 hour 45 so no much difference in going from Pattaya to BKK.  I am actually planning a trip right now for the cool season where I will take my trusty PCX 150 from Khon Kaen to  Pattaya where i will put it in a truck for the ride back.  It may not be until next year, but i enjoy such things, really looking forward to going the mountains on it. 

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Of course it makes sense.. but as with all rules there are exceptions.. if the road traffic goes 80 and you go 90.. makes perfect sense. It is still easy to control a bike at those speeds.. but if the other traffic goes 150 or so.. that would make it hard. I prefer to drive a bit faster than the rest of the traffic so I don't get run over from behind. But of course I won't go faster than what i consider a speed at witch I still have good control of my bike. 

Of course I won't pretend to be an expert biker so maybe you can blow my opinion out of the water. And yes I know look in your mirrors.

To me it doesn't. If the traffic goes 80 then why would I go 90. The next ones who apply the same principle will go 100.

Then 110...

And that's what they teach people, so it's supposed to be applied even at 150 because the logic is that you gotta go a bit faster. So you gotta go a bit faster, no matter the speed. 

And if it's still easy to control a bike at those speeds then it must be a big bike, because a scooter usually start shaking at about 80. 

I prefer to go much faster than the rest of the traffic. That way, there's no traffic. 

Perfectly fine bike to take any where!!!Big advantage of a bike like that is no matter where you go

there is always some one close by who can fix it in case of problems.

We are planning a trip to China on a 125 Wave,an old one at that!

No matter what part you may need it won't be far away.

I drive 120 kilos to work and back every day on a 175 scooter, slower than a motorcycle.

Here is what I have learned:

Driving on the far left isnt automatically safer.

The multitude of drivers often kick up gravel and pitch it to the roadsides, especially in curves.  Gravel is your enemy.

Constantly check your bike for failings, shocks, brakes, lights. I have had two accidents, both equipment failures.

#2 killer, people opening car doors when in stalled traffic.  Mostly they want to spit, or so it seems.

Those full face helmets block a lot of your hearing.  Although safer in a crash.

Do not stare at girls.  That also caused an accident on Kho Lanta.  Six years ago, still havent fully recovered.

Edited by 1900

Sorry if that was already mentioned....

I personally prefer a "big +thin wheeled" scooter such a Honda wave than the small wheeled like Scoopy.
I tried both and I felt not safe and comfortable on the Scoopy.
Too shaky if you have potholes and those "lines" along your driving direction from roadworks.
Also in my opinion the suspension of the Wave is much better than the Scoopy.