Honda PCX 150 OR YAMAHA NOUVO

Mike GC

I am looking to buy a new bike in Phuket and was looking for input on the better bike and also what new prices are in Nov 2016. i am around 94kgs and not a great rider but careful and generally competent. I also sometimes have the farang wife on the back around 64kgs and mainly just use around Patong area. any input is appreciated.

Why not Yamaha Nmax? ABS is standard which will be good on Phuket's hilly often rain soaked roads.

I had a PCX150 since they were launched are are very happy with it but will perhaps get the Nmax when the time come to change, haven't decided yet but I think so.

As it's just for around Phuket, I'd go with the Yammy all the way. Have owned the Elegance (135cc), superb bike. Plenty of poke, will easily carry 160kgs, and the newer injected SX (125) is good on fuel. While there's no doubt the PCX is superior, especially the ride, they've got a bit of a fat arse and could be a pig to park. Ballpark figures around 60k / 90k.

Mrs.Trans PCX is now in it's eighth year, not one hiccup. New battery at 5 years.

Only thing I don't like about it is there is no kick start if/when the battery fails. We had the seat recovered (200bht) to get rid of that hump. My chum who is 6'5" and weighs a ton test drove it and liked it, he had a smaller bike, sadly he passed away before he could buy a PCX.

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

Suck it up, buy a 4 wheeler and decrease your chances of becoming a sad statistic by a factor of 20-40X.  

Bonus: nobody will rag on you for not wearing a helmet.

For local transport in Patong I would suggest a motorbike. Much faster, more flexible, no parking issues, etc.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

For local transport in Patong I would suggest a motorbike. Much faster, more flexible, no parking issues, etc.

Probably true.  And in full disclosure, I ride scooter taxis all the time in BKK for the same reasons, plus the time savings vs the dangers of losing that saved time if my life is cut short.  But I do it with the full knowledge of the risks and the statistics, which seem to elude a lot of people who think wearing a helmet makes it safe.

I support anyone who rides a scooter as a choice, or (especially) out of economic necessity.  Just please, do it with a complete understanding of the risks.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Suck it up, buy a 4 wheeler and decrease your chances of becoming a sad statistic by a factor of 20-40X.  

Bonus: nobody will rag on you for not wearing a helmet.

parking a 4 wheel vehicle can be a nightmare around Patong. Especially if you don't know the tucked away parking spots.  I gave up 2 wheel transport almost 10 years for reasons of personal safety. I can still park in Patong, but sure I might have to walk 5 or 10 minutes to get where I want. 

Having had both I can offer my opinion.

Nouvo Pokey enough, little bit more of a bone shaking ride, great for nipping around.

PCX (125) no problem with power, a bit more comfortable, as Transam said the ridge in the seat can be issue with someone on the back, bit more cumbersome. No kick start.

both ok but when I have to choose I tend to hop on the Nouvo before the PCX. but I would say the PCX is a better bike.

Just realised that doesn't help at all :-)

• 3 weeks later...

PCX and the NMax are the same price at about 80K baht. The rear disc and ABS make the Yamaha a better choice however, it is a new model and subject to the problems that new models have. I drive a PCX and it's a great bike. 

Honda scooters last for many, many years with few problems.  Not sure whether this is the case with Yamahas?

It also has to be mentioned that every scooter repair shop know all about Honda scooters and can therefore fix them easily and cheaply.

Although I'm a bit biased about this as I know a couple of people that bought scooters that were almost unsellable after 7 years - and THINK they were Yamahas.

i will tell you one thing DO NOT BUY YAMAHA NOUVO . Im here since some years now , i bought around 10 bikes , 7 of them being Yamaha nouvo , 3 PCX ( for rental purpose )

I had so much more problems with the yahama bikes its just crazy. Battery dying every 4 or 5 month , or not able to start if you dont run the bike for some time , flat wheels i dont even remember how many times because it was so much. Many mecanical problems too they drive like shit after very very small accidents etc etc. Just thinking about thoses times drive me nuts.

With the PCX i almost never had a battery problem ( more than 3 years ) , and i dont even think i ever had a flat wheel on those bikes. They drive a lot better  and they are fast , and they brake 10 times better. Yes they are heavier but you get use to it very quickly . And they sell a lot better second hand for all thoses reasons.

Thats it :) . I WILL NEVER EVER BUY YAMAHA BIKES AGAIN ( at least not 125cc and stuff like that , they can look quite nice , but they are trash )

Edited by SlyouThai

10 minutes ago, SlyouThai said:

i will tell you one thing DO NOT BUY YAMAHA NOUVO . Im here since some years now , i bought around 10 bikes , 7 of them being Yamaha nouvo , 3 PCX ( for rental purpose )

I had so much more problems with the yahama bikes its just crazy. Battery dying every 4 or 5 month , or not able to start if you dont run the bike for some time , flat wheels i dont even remember how many times because it was so much. Many mecanical problems too they drive like shit after very very small accidents etc etc. Just thinking about thoses times drive me nuts.

With the PCX i almost never had a battery problem ( more than 3 years ) , and i dont even think i ever had a flat wheel on those bikes. They drive a lot better  and they are fast , and they brake 10 times better. Yes they are heavier but you get use to it very quickly . And they sell a lot better second hand for all thoses reasons.

Thats it :) . I WILL NEVER EVER BUY YAMAHA BIKES AGAIN ( at least not 125cc and stuff like that , they can look quite nice , but they are trash )

The two people I know who bought Yamaha scooters in Thailand (about 15 years ago) - regretted it because of the endless mechanical problems after around 3/4 years - and I mean endless.

Although to be fair, my Honda Airblade also doesn't want to start if left alone for 2/3 days....

Same sentiments expressed by a chum of mine who had a bike rental business in Phuket. No Yams in his line up at all now.

Isn't the Nouvo discontinued now? In favour of the NMax and soon took be released Aerox (and maybe even the Exciter)? I still zip around on a 2015 Click. Wanted mainly for the floorboard design as it's easier to load shopping. If I change it (unlikely as I'm moving to BKK so will be using it less than ever) I would seriously think about the NMax. I'm just constantly deterred by the sheer proliferation of Honda dealers and workshops. Just can't stop thinking that Honda just easier. Wonder if they'll release an ABS equipped PCX for 2017 given the NMax is probably the only PCX competition.

Posted using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the feedback guys - I took it all in and also looked around at a lot of Bike Hire Places and yes Honda was much more prevalent. Hired a PCX150 for about 3 weeks and got used to it very quickly and found it much more stable than the Click. I have now bought one and upgraded the rear shock to air shocks and am very happy with the decision. Thanks again!!

43 minutes ago, Mike GC said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys - I took it all in and also looked around at a lot of Bike Hire Places and yes Honda was much more prevalent. Hired a PCX150 for about 3 weeks and got used to it very quickly and found it much more stable than the Click. I have now bought one and upgraded the rear shock to air shocks and am very happy with the decision. Thanks again!!

How much was the upgrade and is it a much better ride?

Yes - I feel it is a much better ride with the air shocks and around 4000Thb  fitted. I also brought over my own good quality helmets from Australia - much better than the ones in Thailand. Oh I also bought an additional remote at purchase to have as backup and that was 2,000Thb. I did the suspension upgrade based upon a friends recommendation after he fitted them and raved about them - and he knows a lot more about bikes then I ever will - he was a very experienced professional racing rider when he was younger. Hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, Mike GC said:

Yes - I feel it is a much better ride with the air shocks and around 4000Thb  fitted. I also brought over my own good quality helmets from Australia - much better than the ones in Thailand. Oh I also bought an additional remote at purchase to have as backup and that was 2,000Thb. I did the suspension upgrade based upon a friends recommendation after he fitted them and raved about them - and he knows a lot more about bikes then I ever will - he was a very experienced professional racing rider when he was younger. Hope this helps.

4000bht for PCX shocks.....?....:sad:

I'm pretty sure it was around 4000 but can't remember -Sorry -  I got a few things done at the same time, new chrome mirrors and brake handles and also a chrome exhaust cover. May be worthwhile to just get it checked out for actual price where you are - I got mine done in Phuket Town..

1 minute ago, Mike GC said:

I'm pretty sure it was around 4000 but can't remember -Sorry -  I got a few things done at the same time, new chrome mirrors and brake handles and also a chrome exhaust cover. May be worthwhile to just get it checked out for actual price where you are - I got mine done in Phuket Town..

Just sounded a  lot for weeee air shocks......My pickup rears cost 1700bht to replace...But, I know little about bike hop ups...:stoner:

16 hours ago, Mike GC said:

Cheers, good info.

We have a PCX and a Nouvo, the yammy doesn't get used alot but if i had to choose between the 2 it'd be the honda hands down.

I dont use the remote very often, just turn the key fully to lock.

I think i know who your mate is, he used to post on the mai thai web site( RIP to the owner and a bummer the sites gone, was really good) alot, can't remember his username but had some good info.

Have a good 1. (Motgp's back and AFL, F1 start again on the weekend...HEAVEN)