US***Collective Obsessional Behavior

Not sure which forum this belongs in--possibly health and medical. 

From Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria 

In sociology and psychologymass hysteria (also known as collective hysteriagroup hysteria, or collective obsessional behavior) is a phenomenon that transmits collective allusions of threats, whether real or imaginary, through a population in society as a result of rumors and fear (memory acknowledgment).[1][2]

There appears to be a complete melt-down of DNC voters in the US at this time and I am wondering if we are actually witnessing a "Mass Hysteria"? 

Are there any news reports from mental health professionals identifying this as the reason for the complete inability of hillary supporters failure to process that they lost? It appears to me that they keep feeding off each other and perpetuating this unreasonable behavior as acceptable.  I have read Universities have canceled classes and have made all exams for the remainder of the semester to be "take-home". This is not indicative of a rational response to failure.

We just had a wedding invitation rescinded because the brides' family is democrat. Its actually dividing families.  They actually called everyone names who supported the republican candidate. 

Any genuine insight appreciated.

Edited by ClutchClark

50 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

Hmm I footnoted it?  Didn't realize that broke any rules.  Sorry about that. 

FYI this is the Forum Rule 

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Also there are some websites that have their own rules and do not allow any coping of their articles.

Clutch, you're right about relationships, including between people here in Thailand and, of course, the dreaded "Ignore" button's getting a work out here on TVF by some.  Guy I know here said he's binned two friendships of 30 years and a business associate. 

I was also thinking a few days ago, seems to be, in part, shadowing the grief/loss process.  Denial and isolation.  Anger.  Bargaining.  Depression.  Acceptance.  Seem to be stuck in the Anger phase, although adults like Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton, have moved through it quickly.  Well, maybe not Hillary.   Not sure where Trump's at.  Bargaining, perhaps.  LOL. 

People on either side were going to be deeply impacted by losing in this particulary historically nasty and INSANE election.

In the case of anti-trumpists, add to that the SHOCK and SURPRISE of losing. I'm sure most Clinton supporters assumed she would win and most trumpists (including trump himself) assumed he would lose, though of course plenty thought he would win as well. 

I'm sure there will be info coming about the psychology of this from a medical perspective, but here's a start about what was going on BEFORE the election.

NOT NORMAL!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/20/well/mind/talking-to-your-therapist-about-election-anxiety.html?_r=0

It has been described as one of the most contentious, tawdry and angry presidential elections in history. And it’s taking a toll on our mental health.

“I’ve been in private practice for 30 years, and I have never seen patients have such strong reactions to an election,” said Sue Elias, a licensed clinical social worker in Manhattan.

The American Psychological Association says that 52 percent of American adults are coping with high levels of stress brought on by the election, according to national Harris Poll survey data released last week. Therapists around the country said in interviews that patients are coming to appointments citing their fears, anger and anxiety about the election.

Both poll data and anecdotal reports show that the high levels of election anxiety are affecting both Republicans and Democrats equally.

Edited by Jingthing

No doubt, the political system and media have reduced to a science, how to manipulate and shape an increasingly unsophisticated public, overwhelmed with repetitive bumper sticker messaging and Pavlovian conditioning.  Many are ill-equipped to identify and deal with it appropriately.  That goes for both tribes and their new, respective "Alt" cousins.