Irish pensioner hit and killed by train in Pranburi after taking shortcut home

webfact

Irish pensioner hit and killed by train in Pranburi after taking shortcut home

xxx.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: -- A 73 year old Irish pensioner was killed on railway tracks in Pranburi after taking a shortcut home on his motorcycle.

The crossing was a makeshift one constructed by locals with cement to enable bikes to be able to traverse the tracks. The driver said that he saw the man fallen over with his bike and sounded the horn but was unable to stop, reported Manager Online.

Dead at the scene in a ditch was the shattered body of Philip Andrew Foley. A large crowd on the Thonburi - Prajuab free express gathered to look at the destruction after the train managed to stop further down the line.

Mr Foley's red Honda PCX motorbike was in bits all along the track.

The accident happened on Friday night.

Police understood that the deceased had been with foreign friends at the Ban Banjaphas housing estate some three kilometers from the scene of the accident. He was taking a short cut on his way home.

The driver of the train said that he saw the victim 200 meters in the distance trying to cross the tracks on his motorcycle. He fell on the tracks at the spot that was about 3kms from the Wang Pong station.

The driver said he sounded his horn many times but the man did not get out of the way. He was unable to stop the train and hit him.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-14

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The crossing was a makeshift one constructed by locals with cement to enable bikes to be able to traverse the tracks.

Those crossings are as dangerous as the self-made wooden bridges to go over the other lane on "highways"...

RIP Irish man  :402:

23 minutes ago, Nip said:

Explsin these words of wisdom. 

I think what he's trying to say is if we came from the West, generally we had better driver education and there is no excuse for foreigners living here to adopt the very bad habits of the locals. I see it all the time such as when they ride their motorbikes in the wrong direction against oncoming traffic.

I have known Phil the 10 years I have lived in Pranburi/Hua Hin area, Phil was the loveliest funny kind man you could ever know, with typical Irish Humour.

Regarding the crossing, every Thai or Falang would use it, no more dangerous than a normal crossing. What happened that night is a tragedy the details not known. God Bless Phil. RIP

4 hours ago, midas said:

I think what he's trying to say is if we came from the West, generally we had better driver education and there is no excuse for foreigners living here to adopt the very bad habits of the locals. I see it all the time such as when they ride their motorbikes in the wrong direction against oncoming traffic.

ah the farang superiority complex!

Dont see the thais having a problem with this crossing, only the "better educated" farangs.

Thais grow up.on bikes and are much more capable riders. Farangs really should stick to cars for their own safety.

Did alcohol play a part?

22 minutes ago, getreal said:

Dont see the thais having a problem with this crossing, only the "better educated" farangs.

Thais grow up.on bikes and are much more capable riders. Farangs really should stick to cars for their own safety.

Did alcohol play a part?

A train will not discriminate between Thai and foreigner.

We are not permitted to link to BKK Post articles, but here is a screenshot of a search result for "Railway Crossing Accidents". As far as I can tell all the victims were Thai.

Anyway, it seems that this old chap took a fall and couldn't get up in time - which could happen to any 73 year old. I hope it was quick and that he had had a great final evening of his life.

Rail crossing.png

There are several more pages of this...

2 hours ago, getreal said:

Did alcohol play a part?

Yes Thais do grow up on bikes from a very early age.   I'm thinking about the school kids who you see sometimes three or four on a bike none of them wearing helmets totally oblivious to any road or traffic rules.

I really don't understand the point you are trying to make.

I'm saying farangs in general took a meaningful test to show their competency before they earned their licence - unlike in Thailand.

But when they slip into the Thai mentality of " first rule - no rules " they will suffer the same fate as Thais

Taking a short cut, right in front of a fast moving train, not the best plan, and it ended in this guy's

death. RIP  I have seen too many people die because they felt that they could  not wait a minute or

two for a train or large truck. If you are retired, and living in  a nice hot country like Thailand  or

Mexico, then slow down and enjoy the last of your life, no need to speed up the ending.

Geezer

Difficult to comment on such a tragic accident but it seems to me like Mr. Foley was trying to minimize the risk both of having an accident or of being breathalized by taking the short cut but the strategy backfired on him.  Surely he was in the wrong but many of us take risks and he was unlucky.

RIP

16 hours ago, johnnytuc said:

I have known Phil the 10 years I have lived in Pranburi/Hua Hin area, Phil was the loveliest funny kind man you could ever know, with typical Irish Humour.

Regarding the crossing, every Thai or Falang would use it, no more dangerous than a normal crossing. What happened that night is a tragedy the details not known. God Bless Phil. RIP

How can you describe this as "no more dangerous than a normal crossing"?

Where is the crossing illumination? How about the warning lights and bells? How about the barrier?  Normal crossings have clearcuts to allow visibility etc. This was not a "normal crossing".

On 14-11-2016 at 3:45 PM, Nip said:

Explsin these words of wisdom. 

What he means is if you act like a Thai and accept the same risks Thais accept and take you can end up dead just like the Thais who do those things.

Many foreigners go native and reset their brains to Thai safety standards... some pay the price for it. 

Just plain stupid and wasteful behavior.  I also doubt the train driver made much of an attempt to stop before the train hit the man.  Thais typically just flash the lights or sound the horn instead of slowing down their cars.  Either/or a bad combination of behaviors.

Archived