Thai celebrity speaker denied visa to US

webfact

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes and if denied entry a  farang will come on Thai Visa and whine, soon to be joined by the chorus of TV whiners who will chant that Thailand needs them and they shouldn't turn down any farang who on his Baht 25000 monthly income single-handedly props up the Thai economy.

Whereas she said: 

Can't recall many farang accepting personal responsibility or saying that the embassy or immigrations office involved "had acted properly."

Compare her behavior to the Australian woman described by ThaiFelix in another thread.

And then a whiner will come on to whine about the whiners and now I'm whining about the whiner whining about the whiners.....this could go on forever ....and often does.

6 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Tuff shyt. She has to show the same requirements as all other Thais. She is not special.

That's what she said, wasn't it?  " . . . Admitting responsibility she said that the US embassy in Bangkok had acted properly according to their regulations but she hopes to get the decision reversed with some better paperwork . . . "

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

Farangs have to have a certain amount of money to go to Thailand also.  Works both ways

Yep, I arrived here in 1997 with US$200 that my brother loaned to me and about US$3000 in a Singapore bank. How much money were you thinking I needed to have?

Farangs have to have a certain amount of money to go to Thailand also.  Works both ways

2 hours ago, malcoml said:

Not really. I have never had to show my accounts.

Exactly.

How many US tourists on visa exempt(!) were ever denied entry for missing financials?

Maybe someone knows such a hobo.

It is very clear that there is no "symmetry"/"tit for that" in visa terms.

Regular work: it should be clear that she is a freelancer and does not have monthly payslips to show.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Wow !  Some of the posts on here ! She has speaking engagements in two cities. And the FSA will not let her in ?  Being from Canada, and following US poliitics most of my life - why am I not surprised ? Xenophobia anyone ? To go with their feelings for their fellow countrymen ?

Actually, not only the US. We had situations where our US employees were denied entry into Canada on multiple occasions because they were going to teach classes to Canadian customers. Not much different from someone entering the country on a speaking engagement. After several of these episodes, the company instructed employees to tell Canadian immigration that they were entering the country to attend, and not lead a class. 

Just in case it wasn't already clear, I should have made it explicit: our application involved the Thai spouse of a U.S. citizen seeking a tourist visa. I can't speak to what's involved if a Thai citizen is applying solo or as the spouse of a non-U.S. citizen.

42 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The items above I agree about.

The ones below, I don't:

-you have a confirmed inbound and outbound reservation

[we didn't, because we were awaiting her getting the visa or not  And no one asked her about that at all. ]

-you have sufficient funds to cover living expenses

[my wife brought all kinds of financial docs, both her own and mine, but the staff asked for and looked at none of it]

-you have a valid requirement to return to your home country

[I don't know what a "valid requirement" means in this situation. In our case, my wife has a multi-year Thai employment contract with substantial penalties if she breaks it. But again, they weren't interested to see that).

Supporting DOCS are a must: itinerary, hotel confirmations, rental car confirmations,"

[We had none of that other than our stated plan for a 1+ week trip to visit my father because, again, it all depended on her getting the visa. And, we weren't asked documents regarding any of that.]

As I said above, other than the basic verbal interview questions, the only two things they seemed keenly interested in in terms of supporting docs was the letter of invite from my father, and my own history of Thai retirement extensions.

Obviously, everyone's application is different, so the Embassy officers may well ask for different things in different situations. I can only speak to our experience in the past couple months.

6 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Tuff shyt. She has to show the same requirements as all other Thais. She is not special.

Razor-sharp reasoning. Whoda thawt?

2 minutes ago, gchurch259 said:

Yes, They have enough BS Artist, plus Hillarious is out of work too !!

I don't know the lady in the OP. But I'm guessing what that issue meant was, she doesn't have regular traditional employment with a monthly salary, but instead, gets paid on an ad hoc basic for her speaking and appearances.

Kind of like, ex U.S. presidents and ex-senior government officials. :tongue:

42 minutes ago, trogers said:

I think the first thing the Embassy would check, which they don't diverge, is the credit history and rating of the applicant.

Without a credit history means no long term employment.

Bad credit history implies high risk on staying beyond the allowed time permitted.

I thought that detail was pretty interesting, as it suggests that the Embassy runs some kind of Thai credit check on visa applicants. Not surprising, but I don't think I've ever explicitly heard that detail before.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

there is  huge gap in the wages between your average american vs your average thai person..

In anycase it is much harder for an average thai citiizen to quality for a visa to visit the states vs americans dont require a visa at all to travel to thailand...

America basically put the visa requirements in hopes to prevent thai poor thai citizens from staying in the country illegally once they gain entrance into the States...  the Money requirements is a way to ensure that the person will return to thailand and not stay in the states.

7 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Tuff shyt. She has to show the same requirements as all other Thains. She is not special.

Yet we frequently hear foreigners bitching  on TV  about the monetary requirements to remain In Thailand.

Every country has requirements, some seen as reasonable, some seen otherwise.

21 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

She is an incredibly talented speaker.

She delivered a 40 minutes flawless speech 

in memory of H.M King Bhumibol.

Search on YouTube if interested: Thairath TV 19-10-59

She's got almost 5 million views in less than a month.

I take my hat off her.

How did she come to have your hat in the first place

23 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

She is an incredibly talented speaker.

She delivered a 40 minutes flawless speech 

in memory of H.M King Bhumibol.

Search on YouTube if interested: Thairath TV 19-10-59

She's got almost 5 million views in less than a month.

So what? :coffee1:

people ignite their farts on yt and get 100.000.000 views...

3 hours ago, malcoml said:

Not really. I have never had to show my accounts.

I had to bring copies of my bankaccounts and never got them back. Every year again and not only the total amount they want to see all payments for last 3 months as well.