We want our sea back! Fishermen mad after hotel uses Pattaya seaside to build swimming pool

rooster59

We want our sea back! Fishermen mad after hotel uses Pattaya seaside to build swimming pool

aHR0cDovL3BlMS5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQyMC8yMTAzODI2L2FzZGYuanBn.jpg
Image: Sanook

PATTAYA: Fishermen in Pattaya are furious that a hotel in the Jomtien area has built a swimming pool jutting out into the sea.

The area of rocks is a popular site for fishing but now it is just a luxury pool for the guests of a beachfront hotel, said sanook.com.

And it now looks as the pool will have to be removed after the harbor authority inspected and reported the matter to the Pattaya police.

The offending pool has been brazenly constructed out into the sea in the Yin Yorm beach area of Pratumnak Hill Soi 5.

Fishermen originally complained to reporters about the pool but Thai Rath has discovered that the Region 6 harbor authority in Pattaya has already been on the case.

Their director Ekarat Khantaro said that his group checked the spot last Sunday and in his opinion it is an illegal construction.

Pattaya police were informed so that the matter could be taken to court and the hotel ordered to remove it.

Sources: Sanook & Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-19

19 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Where were the  authorities when the pool wa sunder construction? these things don't just pop up overnight.

The "authorities" were at the end of a handoff of baht. This is illegal. This is the King's property. Now that the word is out, I expect it will be demolished. Som nom na

yes that is a funny sort of place. it is a private house but used as a hotel with tour groups staying there, i sneaked in there once with my girlfriend and the permission of the group leader. it is beautiful and well built. german i think. it should be allowed to remain.  on reading this article i was much more worried that somebody had encroached onto the area next to it which is popular with fisherman and includes rock pools with stranded fish in them. the one i rescued was a puffer fish i think. it is this pool and some rocks next to it that stops you from walking all the way along the beach from jomtien to pattaya. it reminds me of how brighton marina used to look before the construction of ugly houses.

Edited by jobsworth

22 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

yes that is a funny sort of place. it is a private house but used as a hotel with tour groups staying there, i sneaked in there once with my girlfriend and the permission of the group leader. it is beautiful and well built. german i think. it should be allowed to remain.  on reading this article i was much more worried that somebody had encroached onto the area next to it which is popular with fisherman and includes rock pools with stranded fish in them. the one i rescued was a puffer fish i think. it is this pool and some rocks next to it that stops you from walking all the way along the beach from jomtien to pattaya. it reminds me of how brighton marina used to look before the construction of ugly houses.

Agree that it would be very difficult to rip it out and to return to the way it was.

Should be taken over by the city for public use with no compensation for the hotel.

Edited by Basil B

Make the hotel demolish the pool and repair the shore front to as close as possible as original, no matter how much money it takes. Maximum time to do, 3 months.

If a local authority had given permission for the pool a term of jail is called for.

If the area is the King's Land then charge the hotel owner and their local authority "backers" with les majeste because this corruption is an insult to the King.

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Make the hotel demolish the pool and repair the shore front to as close as possible as original, no matter how much money it takes. Maximum time to do, 3 months.

If a local authority had given permission for the pool a term of jail is called for.

If the area is the King's Land then charge the hotel owner and their local authority "backers" with les majeste because this corruption is an insult to the King.

How about 1000 baht fine and a promotion to the next level of incompetence.

3 hours ago, lvr181 said:

What a dreamer you are.

Excuse me, but the pool was constructed 21 years ago...! The guy was popped because he was renting rooms by the day instead of the month as the permit states. Try doing some research folks...You can start with BP...Half the story is missing here....!

8 minutes ago, fish monger said:

It was built 21 years ago...!

21 years later, there's a government in power that may actually do something about the illegal encroachment.  And operating an illegal hotel, it seems.

Edited by impulse

T

39 minutes ago, fish monger said:

Excuse me, but the pool was constructed 21 years ago...! The guy was popped because he was renting rooms by the day instead of the month as the permit states. Try doing some research folks...You can start with BP...Half the story is missing here....!

thank you fish monger! The whole article is a load of rubbish. This part of the seaside is completely inaccessible.. Try to prosecute the guys who approved it or turned a blind eye some 20 years ago. I want to see the fisherman who made this rediculous statement.

Sure it is not really legal, but then legalize it and let the people live.  A huge fat fine would be in order for the illegal use. However those guys in power at the time should also pay back. CRIME SHOULD NOT PAY!

6 minutes ago, Commogwinto said:

It's taken the "Fishermen" over 20 years to realise that particular section of beach is no longer there? must be night fishermen if they haven't seen it before now?

more than likely, to me, is that the anglers have been fishing from the rocks for most of the past 21 years,

but, only recently they have been blocked by (rock?) baton-wielding thug guards (retired ex-100 baht parking inspectors)

the pool needs a few pufferfish, and maybe a shark tossed in...