18 months overstay

I just a newbie here and i no need any finger point on my overstay.As you read by title i am on 18 months overstay.Lived here for the past 17 years, always follow the rules, always on a Non "o" and regular work permit.An unexpected situation lead me to overstay and the founds i was used to feed my family.

Now i find a job:there is any chance if i fly out from Sawannabhumi that i will not be banned, so i will return for start the job?

If you present yourself:

"An alien who overstays more than 1 year beyond his/her permitted date will be banned from re-entering the country for 3 years, starting from the departure date."

If you're caught:

An alien who is caught overstaying more than 1 year beyond his/her permitted date will be banned from re-entering the country for 10 years, starting from the departure date.

+ fines

http://overstay.immigration.go.th/advice.html

• Like 2

There's no way you won't be banned unless you have good connections. But if that was the case you wouldn't ask this question. 

Go to immigration with your valid passport, get yourself detained, have enough money with you to pay the overstay and the overpriced plane ticket that the immigration will book for you and you should be out of the country in about two weeks. 

And you won't be back in about 3-5 years. 

• Like 2

Check in craigslist under "legal". Get in contact with one of this lawyers, which are specialized in such cases. Friend of mine got away with 5 years overstay. Will cost you around 50 - 80000 Baht. You have to leave the country, but don't get blacklisted. You can come back at any time you wishes. 

Munotlaw

Edited by Munotlaw
  • Like 2

living here for so long you should know better i hope they ban you for a very long time, i would if it was up to me. they should make an example of you.

Should he follow my advice, they don't will make an example of him. He can leave, can have a proper tourist visa in Singapore, can come back, visit the same lawyer in Bangkok which will provide him with the O- visa and the needed  visa extension. (And answering a question: I don't provide any of these services)

Munotlaw

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Henry1975 said:

always on a Non "o" and regular work permit.An unexpected situation lead me to overstay and the founds i was used to feed my family.

So you could not find 1900 Baht per year for an extension of stay based on marriage? That is about 5 Baht a day, that's all, 5 Baht a day.

When you left your previous job, did you claim the unemployment benefit you were entitled to? That alone would have paid for your yearly extensions.

Sorry, but I cannot believe that you could not afford so little an amount.

This is a hard decision. I was in your shoes before in a different country so I know exactly what you are going through, 18 yrs so about the same time. Lucky you this is not America and you might have a slight chance, if you speak Thai a bit bigger chance. 

You really have to think your options on this one. What happens if you go back to your country and how can you not have a problem of overstaying again in the future. It is getting much harder for the under 50 crowd to stay here. Vietnam is getting better and lots of the under 50 yrs old people who could not stay here moved there.

Best advise here is go to the airport pay the fine and beg beg and beg for mercy. Thais do have a good heart and might not ban you. BUT be prepared to give it all up if they don't. It is a very difficult decision, stay illegally forever or take a chance. 

If you speak Thai and have some kind of roots in Thailand they might feel sorry for you and let it slide. I think I would try Don Muang instead of Suvarnabhumi.  Take photos of your family here to show them. 

I know someone who can cancel the ban in Pattaya but I always heard it is very expensive. If it fails you can go back to your country work hard to save money to "pay off" your ban

4 hours ago, Munotlaw said:

Check in craigslist under "legal". Get in contact with one of this lawyers, which are specialized in such cases. Friend of mine got away with 5 years overstay. Will cost you around 50 - 80000 Baht. You have to leave the country, but don't get blacklisted. You can come back at any time you wishes. 

Munotlaw

So you are advising the OP to pay a bribe and perpetuate even more crimes?

He shouldn't have committed the overstay in the first place. However, he has and unless someone has a time machine he can't go back and change what he's done. He was on the breadline and trying to support his family here. Now, he has the chance to improve his family's conditions by getting a job and a Non B. Let's give him some credit and advice that can help him through this serious situation but let's not advise him to break more laws and deal with crooked lawyers. He could end up in prison. 

Maybe he could scrape some cash together and bring his family abroad while he 'serves' his ban? At least the family would be with him...

• Like 1

Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

my friend who got banned for a year on a four day overstay didn't expect to get banned. So he ended up in KL with no clothes or computer. Not a fun situation to be in. Good luck on this one. I would take my wife and look very very contrite and sad and apologetic. 

1 minute ago, seancbk said:

When I left my first job (FYI a non teaching job with a high salary), the company I worked for had not paid my salary for 6 months, I could no longer afford my 40K THB condo (so I also lost my 80K deposit) and for all intents and purposes I was bankrupt.

No one told me there was unemployment benefit here.   I also found out years later that I could have gone to the labour dept. to try and recover the salary I was owed (almost 900,000 THB) but I had no idea at the time, so I walked away broke.

Fortunately I only had to worry about myself (unlike the OP who has a family to support).

Sometimes people are not fully aware of all the options available to them which is why a forum like this is important.

After the first months non-payment you should have seen what was going to happen. To wait 6 months before leaving, (with no salary) - sorry, but you have no-one to blame but yourself.

• Like 1