Full day taxi hire?

the donger

I'm visiting Chiang Mai in January and I remember last time it was a pain in the arse trying to use taxis. No metered cabs or motosais, so I kept having to hire out a full songtaew just for me. It cost a fortune at 500 a trip, I think I ended up paying more for transport than I did my hotel and even then wasn't easy to find them on the road. 

What about hiring one out for a full day, what's a decent rate? maybe 6 or 7 hours, just small trips to the park, safari, etc. I did it in ayyutaya and it made life much easier. 

Edited by the donger

If you end up paying 500 baht for a red bus and not 20 then you've been doing it wrong; so regardless of getting a car & driver for the day I'd look into that too.

But it'll cost somewhere between 1500 and 2000 including fuel, depending on the car, the driver, the destinations, etc, etc.

Something like the Night Safari will actually be affordable because the driver will get the agency rate.  So if you look at their website you see a price of 800 Baht, but that works out to a free taxi because you'll pay 800 as well when booking a car and driver to go there.

Other typical prices.. up Doi Suthep and then stop at some places to turn it into a half-day: 1000 Baht. (For the whole vehicle so not a bad deal with more people.)

Further afield it gets more expensive, like up to Doi Inthanon or to Chiang Rai or Pai; the distance does matter.

Ask me if you need a recommendation; friend of my Mrs. has a small tour agency. She's a good driver, nice person and reasonable prices. I'm sure you'll get discounts too if you book her regularly.