Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Just to inform you all that I found this government website with details of the new long stay visa.

The Government Public Relations Department.

http://thailand.prd.go.th/ewt_news.php?nid=4277&filename=index

Long-Stay Visa for Senior Tourists and New Visa Measures

24 November 2016 

The Cabinet, during its meeting on 22 November 2016, approved the extension of long-stay visa for senior tourists. At the same meeting, it also approved measures to attract tourist arrivals by waiving the visa fee and reducing the visa-on-arrival fee for tourists from many countries.

The Ministry of Public Health reported to the Cabinet that the number of foreign senior citizens seeking to stay in Thailand for a long period is on the rise. These senior tourists have applied for the non-immigrant visa (long stay). They have stayed mainly in major tourist provinces, such as Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chon Buri, and other famous seaside provinces.

As Thailand aims to develop itself as a Medical and Wellness Tourism Center, the Ministry of Public Health and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports in their joint meeting agreed to extend the long-stay visa from one year to 10 years. The extension will be offered for tourists from 14 countries, namely Australia, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Eligible foreign senior tourists must be 50 years old and over and they are required to seek the non-immigrant visa (long stay) at the Office of Thai Consul-General overseas. For those with other types of visa and wish to change it to the long-stay visa, their visa must be valid initially for five years and can be renewed for another five years in the form of a multiple entry visa.

This long-stay visa fee has been set at 10,000 baht. Eligible foreign tourists should have a monthly income of at least 100,000 baht, or a bank deposit of at least three million baht, which must be maintained for at least one year after the visa is granted.

They should also have a medical insurance coverage for one year, with at least 1,000 US dollars for out-patient care and 10,000 dollars for in-patient care each time. They must also report to a designated immigration office every 90 days.

As for new visa measures, the Cabinet agreed to the proposal by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports to waive the 1,000-baht visa fee temporarily at the Royal Thai Embassy, or the Office of Thai Consul-General.

It also agreed to reduce the fee of the visa on arrival from 2,000 baht to 1,000 baht for tourists from 19 countries, namely Andorra, Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, the Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan.

The reduction will take effect for three months, from 1 December 2016 to 28 February 2017. It is intended to stimulate tourism and encourage foreign tourists to visit Thailand during the high season.

There's nothing new here about the new long stay visa. 

Edited by tropo

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.absoluteresorts.com/our-stories/10-year-visa-in-pipeline/

Quote:-
The current one-year visa for retirees requires them to show proof that they have THB800,000 in the bank and for a one year marriage visa THB400,000.

If these two one-year visas were phased out in preference for a 10-year visa many retirees currently in the country would not be able to comply with the higher bank guarantee.

Phasing out the one-yea visa is likely to be a contentious issue and unsettling for retirees. It might prompt an exodus of valuable long-stay visitors, who spend more in the long-run than the average tourist.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There is no way that you could be certain about that. Not from anything that has been posted here anyway. 

Re-read the announcement.  Quote:  "For those with other types of visa and  wish to change it to the long-stay visa..."    Key word WISH.  If you don't WISH to change, don't. 

Re-read the announcement.  Quote:  "For those with other types of visa and  wish to change it to the long-stay visa..."    Key word WISH.  If you don't WISH to change, don't. 

Ha ha even if the new visa actually happens and they actually bother to put out another announced regarding optional one year retirement extension as they have told us face to face already , the The jing thing will be saying

WAIT WAIT WAIT DON'T BELIVE THEM!!! until you actually get it stamped [emoji23]

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

The current one-year visa for retirees requires them to show proof that they have THB800,000 in the bank and for a one year marriage visa THB400,000.

If these two one-year visas were phased out in preference for a 10-year visa many retirees currently in the country would not be able to comply with the higher bank guarantee.

Phasing out the one-yea visa is likely to be a contentious issue and unsettling for retirees. It might prompt an exodus of valuable long-stay visitors, who spend more in the long-run than the average tourist.

I think that perhaps with your use of terminology, you may be muddying the waters a bit. Your first paragraph actually refers to extensions of stay and not visas vs. what sounds like a proposed 10 year non imm long stay visa obtained in one's home country via a Thai Embassy or Consulate.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Completely inadequate and misleading information again from a commercial website.

The requirements for 800,000THB (retirement) and 400,000THB (marriage) are for extensions of stay and not Visas.

There is absolutely no mention in any reports of changes to extensions of stay.

I really do wish people would educate themselves with the differences between a Visa and an Extension, before they post such inaccurate dribble.

59 minutes ago, newnative said:

Huh?

Read the next line:

For those with other types of visa and wish to change it to the long-stay visa, their visa must be valid initially for five years and can be renewed for another five years in the form of a multiple entry visa.

Visa valid for 5 years? What does that mean?

The current O-A visa is a ONE year visa.

On embassy websites it is named LONG STAY VISA.

In the texts we've seen here, the new visa is also called LONG STAY VISA.

My question is still valid (will this new thing REPLACE to current O-A "Long Stay" visa OR NOT?) and YOU have no authority to DEFINITELY answer it. 

You have your opinion / interpretation. That's all. 

I'm not saying it does or doesn't.

I'm saying NOBODY including you can yet say FOR SURE based on the info we have at this point in time.

Why the obsession with rushing to final conclusions?

Edited by Jingthing

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Huh?

Read the next line:

My question is still valid (will this new thing REPLACE to current O-A "Long Stay" visa OR NOT?) and YOU have no authority to DEFINITELY answer it. 

I'm saying NOBODY including you can yet say FOR SURE based on the info we have at this point in time.

Huh?

Read the next line:

Of course I don't have any 'authority' but I do have a brain.  Every piece of credible evidence that I know of, including this most recent one, states that the 10 year visa will only be offered in 14 countries.  My brain tells me Thailand is not going to kick out all the retirees from all the other countries in the world. Had the 10 year been offered to all countries, I might have had some concern.   Then there are the first person visits to Immigration Offices we've had reported here with general agreement that nothing is changing with current visas/extensions.  On a basic question such as this, I think the Immigration Offices will have correct information.  This latest document has the 'wish' language and is yet another piece of evidence that this 10 year will be offered as a choice but not a requirement, and, again, only in 14 countries.  There are other bits of evidence that I think make a contribution--the 90-day reporting being streamlined with the use of barcodes so the process is very fast, new Immigration Offices opening, Jomtien Immigration being reorganized and improved into a more efficient operation.  If Thailand was planning to kick out all the retirees not from those 14 selected countries, would it be bothering to improve things and opening new immigration offices?  I would think more offices would be closing rather than new ones opening since there would be far fewer retirees to process.   Another bit was the low-key announcement of the 10 year option.  It wasn't exactly treated as major news and was thrown in with an announcement of visa waiver fees for tourists. It wasn't treated as major news because it wasn't major news.  Obviously, if it was a REPLACEMENT, then the story would have been huge and there would have been separate announcements/news stories on how the retirees not from the 14 countries would be handled regarding having to leave the country, how much time they would have to prepare to leave, and so on.  Thailand would have given advance notice to all the countries not on the list that it was kicking out their retirees and it's safe to say there would have been a big outcry from those countries.  But, no outcry.    I'm not 'rushing to final conclusions'; I have no idea what's going to happen with the 10 year option.  But, I think it's clear that it's not replacing anything and is merely an optional choice for some people from a few countries and the rest of us should relax. 

42 minutes ago, newnative said:

Of course I don't have any 'authority' but I do have a brain.  Every piece of credible evidence that I know of, including this most recent one, states that the 10 year visa will only be offered in 14 countries.  My brain tells me Thailand is not going to kick out all the retirees from all the other countries in the world. Had the 10 year been offered to all countries, I might have had some concern.   Then there are the first person visits to Immigration Offices we've had reported here with general agreement that nothing is changing with current visas/extensions.  On a basic question such as this, I think the Immigration Offices will have correct information.  This latest document has the 'wish' language and is yet another piece of evidence that this 10 year will be offered as a choice but not a requirement, and, again, only in 14 countries.  There are other bits of evidence that I think make a contribution--the 90-day reporting being streamlined with the use of barcodes so the process is very fast, new Immigration Offices opening, Jomtien Immigration being reorganized and improved into a more efficient operation.  If Thailand was planning to kick out all the retirees not from those 14 selected countries, would it be bothering to improve things and opening new immigration offices?  I would think more offices would be closing rather than new ones opening since there would be far fewer retirees to process.   Another bit was the low-key announcement of the 10 year option.  It wasn't exactly treated as major news and was thrown in with an announcement of visa waiver fees for tourists. It wasn't treated as major news because it wasn't major news.  Obviously, if it was a REPLACEMENT, then the story would have been huge and there would have been separate announcements/news stories on how the retirees not from the 14 countries would be handled regarding having to leave the country, how much time they would have to prepare to leave, and so on.  Thailand would have given advance notice to all the countries not on the list that it was kicking out their retirees and it's safe to say there would have been a big outcry from those countries.  But, no outcry.    I'm not 'rushing to final conclusions'; I have no idea what's going to happen with the 10 year option.  But, I think it's clear that it's not replacing anything and is merely an optional choice for some people from a few countries and the rest of us should relax. 

You didn't even acknowledge that I am specifically talking about O-A visa "Long Stay" visas. You obnoxiously blow that up to suggest I am asserting that Thailand is kicking out all current retirees.

I think you probably DO know what an O-A visa is, but instead you twist your response directed at perhaps most readers that don't know the difference between O visas, O-A "Long Stay" visas, and retirement extensions.

This is getting stupid now. Not worth my time responding at this silly level. Not so impressed with your brain. Yes we can all come to educated GUESSES based on what's been released so far. I actually posted my guesses, which I'm sure aren't totally right. You project that you know you're totally right. You might be, but you can't know for sure yet. Why? Because this thing isn't finalized yet. DUH!

Ignore list time.

Edited by Jingthing

51 minutes ago, newnative said:

Spot on

I too have been to immigration and heard from their lips directly what you've stated, not only the front line officer but also a higher up I had coffee with, I can't be bothered typing everything for the toxic poster to come along and comment - its more fun to see him stew and worry about his future here.

6 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Spot on

I too have been to immigration and heard from their lips directly what you've stated, not only the front line officer but also a higher up I had coffee with, I can't be bothered typing everything for the toxic poster to come along and comment - its more fun to see him stew and worry about his future here.

Did you ask the officer if this new "Long Stay" visa SPECIFICALLY replaces the current O-A "Long Stay" visa only issued from some nations abroad?

I'm guessing you didn't ask that and even if you did, an immigration officer here wouldn't be a credible source about that for two reasons ... they don't issue O-A visas and also the policy isn't even finalized yet.

Edited by Jingthing

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You didn't even acknowledge that I am specifically talking about O-A visa "Long Stay" visas. You obnoxiously blow that up to suggest I am asserting that Thailand is kicking out all current retirees.

I think you probably DO know what an O-A visa is, but instead you twist your response directed at perhaps most readers that don't know the difference between O visas, O-A "Long Stay" visas, and retirement extensions.

This is getting stupid now. Not worth my time responding at this silly level. Not so impressed with your brain. Yes we can all come to educated GUESSES based on what's been released so far. I actually posted my guesses, which I'm sure aren't totally right. You project that you know you're totally right. You might be, but you can't know for sure yet. Why? Because this thing isn't finalized yet. DUH!

Ignore list time.

Lucky me.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Did you ask the officer if this new "Long Stay" visa SPECIFICALLY replaces the current O-A "Long Stay" visa only issued from some nations abroad?

I'm guessing you didn't ask that and even if you did, an immigration officer here wouldn't be a credible source about that for two reasons ... they don't issue O-A visas and also the policy isn't even finalized yet.

Keep guessing what my conversation was or was not, its hilarious to read your posts. I won't reply to your posts nor help you sort this out, suffice to say the vast majority of posters get it and your obnoxious back and forth is a complete waste of time.

Lucky me.

I was just about to say you're pushing your luck and Bam! At this rate he will have no challenger's so he will always be right!

By the way he has always maintained the retirement extension is at risk but is slowly coming around to cover his tracks and switch tactics lol

6 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Keep guessing what my conversation was or was not, its hilarious to read your posts. I won't reply to your posts nor help you sort this out, suffice to say the vast majority of posters get it and your obnoxious back and forth is a complete waste of time.

Uh huh. Anyone that believes that you asked what I asked about, about O-A visas, would be basing that belief on a member that refuses to talk about it. My guess remains NO. 

OK,  now we're finally getting somewhere. Sort of. A little bit.

Confirming what I've been saying all along -- implementation details DO NOT EXIST.

Also, note, rather hilariously that Pattaya Today FAILED to specifically address O-A visas (available only abroad) and instead focused only on the question of annual retirement extensions, which they incorrectly labeled renewable retirement visas.

Anyway, dudes, there you have it. You want DETAILS of implementation. You're gonna have to wait, probably a long time. Because they don't EXIST. 

Pattaya Today has held informal meetings with immigration staff, but stresses that the detail will likely not become absolutely clear for several months prior to implementation.

Nor has it been stated whether the current one-year, renewable retirement visa will continue in its present form; we believe that it will.  It is rare in Thai immigration history for an established visa to be withdrawn unless a very similar alternative is introduced.

http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/10-year-visa-questions/

Edited by Jingthing

On 12/7/2016 at 0:26 PM, Jingthing said:

Ignore list time.

I got an O visa in Phnom Penh and then got the retirement extension. No medical or police check required.

I thought the OA is the type that one get's in ones' own country, and an O somewhere else.

I got an O visa in Phnom Penh and then got the retirement extension. No medical or police check required.

I thought the OA is the type that one get's in ones' own country, and an O somewhere else.

O-A visas are indeed only available from some home nations. The other name for O-A visas is Long Stay visas.

Nobody can confirm yet whether the proposed new 5/10 year Long Stay visas will replace the current O-A visas which are one currently year visas.

How much longer is the Thai government going to wait before clarifying if this visa is a option or a replacement for extension of stay retirement visa? This is causing huge anxiety in some people here.

There is nothing to announce except If the 10 Year will proceed. Retirement extension nothing to with it . I see only one anxious poster here, well maybe 2 now

How much longer is the Thai government going to wait before clarifying if this visa is a option or a replacement for extension of stay retirement visa? This is causing huge anxiety in some people here.

Probably several months. The general consensus which I agree with is that the new 5/10 year Long Stay visa won't impact the current annual extension rules. In my opinion a higher chance it might replace O-A visas though. Just chill and wait. Can't rush details about a change that doesn't exist yet.

For 99% of long stay expats, their visa ran out years ago. They live here on an extension of stay. They dont have a visa, they dont renew a visa, they dont require a visa.

The ministry of foreign affairs "may" introduce a 20 year visa and the requirement is to wear a chicken suit, insure your neighbors dog and put your testicles in a bank safety deposit box, its not relevant to anyone already here and on an extension of stay.

Ministry of foreign affairs creates Visa's, immigration does extensions of stay.

Edited by Peterw42

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

For 99% of long stay expats, their visa ran out years ago. They live here on an extension of stay. They dont have a visa, they dont renew a visa, they dont require a visa.

They may introduce a 20 year visa and the requirement is to wear a chicken suit, its not relevant to anyone already here and on an extension of stay.

I doubt your 99 percent number is actually true. There are always new people entering the system or looking to enter the system. I do agree there is no reason for people on current retirement extensions to panic. Currently new people can start with O-A visas, O visas, or conversion to O visas in Thailand. Thus I do think it is relevant to know (when the info is available which it isn't yet) whether the proposed new 5/10 year Long Stay visa replaces the current O-A visa which is also called the Long Stay visa. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Most likely not before March / April 2017 then they have counted the dosh the high season brings in from tourists and if that is as budgeted and enough we will not hear anything more:smile:

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

There hasn't been a 'clarification' because the Thai government likely doesn't think there is anything that needs clarification since this 10 year limited visa doesn't have anything to do with yearly extensions of stay.

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

There hasn't been a 'clarification' because the Thai government likely doesn't think there is anything that needs clarification since this 10 year limited visa doesn't have anything to do with yearly extensions of stay.

Maybe, had you read the entire thing, you would understand why clarification is important!

"It would replace one-year renewable visas and come in two installments of five years each, Athisit said. It was not immediately clear when the plan would be implemented"

If that doesn't concern you, you're a better man than me!

25 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Maybe, had you read the entire thing, you would understand why clarification is important!

"It would replace one-year renewable visas and come in two installments of five years each, Athisit said. It was not immediately clear when the plan would be implemented"

If that doesn't concern you, you're a better man than me!

Most people are taking that to mean (albeit very unclearly) that the new 5/10 Long Stay visa would replace the one year extensions for people currently using them IF they so choose to apply for the new thing. Not wipe out the current option of annual retirement extensions. But the language is muddy and can legitimately be taken in a number of ways.

This is why when they finally do finalize the implementation of the new 5/10 year Long Stay either our questions will be implicitly answered by the new rules and/or official advise on any replacements (or not) will be legitimately sought after.

Back to the current O-A Long Stay (available only in a limited number of home nations), if the new 5/10 year Long Stay replaces that (which like the current O-A will only be limited to certain nationals), that would be "interesting" because current O-A visas are one (of multiple) entry paths into the current annual retirement system. So if the old O-A goes, that will be at least one starting path towards annual extensions wiped out. So people asserting definitely 100 percent that there is no connection between the proposed new 5/10 year Long Stay and the current system are talking a bunch of B.S. because there is no way at this point that they possible know that for sure.

Again ... WAIT. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Probably several months. The general consensus which I agree with is that the new 5/10 year Long Stay visa won't impact the current annual extension rules. In my opinion a higher chance it might replace O-A visas though. Just chill and wait. Can't rush details about a change that doesn't exist yet.

Why would it replace the existing O-A visas. do you really think the majority of existing O-A visas are going to be kicked out if they can't afford the new 10 year visa? Indeed it would be cheaper to apply for the elite card than the 10 year visa, as an option but doubt there would be many takers for it!   

How would a mass exodus if long stay expats benefit Thailand? 

There is no wait and see, it will not effect O-A visas. 

Edited by CharlieK

The ministry of foreign affairs "may" introduce a 20 year visa and the requirement is to wear a chicken suit, insure your neighbors dog and put your testicles in a bank safety deposit box, its not relevant to anyone already here and on an extension of stay.

Ministry of foreign affairs creates Visa's, immigration does extensions of stay.

Now this just silly. A high up officer with whom I nearly had coffee with fairly definitely almost implied that you would have to produce your testicles every 90 days. Why then should you keep them in a bank deposit box? You're just imagining unnecessary complications...