Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not correct. You don't need a new visa to re-enter, if you're on an Extension, but if you don't have re-entry permit you will only be admitted for 30 days and then you'll need to leave!

Talk about arguing for the sake of argument. DUH! I'm talking about staying in Thailand for the purpose of retirement. You most certainly will need a new visa if you let your old one lapse.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Here's my thinking:

The Visa gets you into the country,

The "Permitted To Stay" stamp allows you to stay, and

The Re-entry Permit allows you to come back in provided you do so before the "Permitted to Stay" date.

I'd put it a different way. The Visa allows you to get yearly extensions of stay for the purpose of retirement. No visa - no yearly extensions of stay. They exist together as an integral unit.

I don't know why the terminology police continue to make it more complicated than it is.

We can argue till the cows come home and we have on many threads over the years. I have a visa which I call a "retirement visa". 

Occasionally when I'm required to sign contracts, such as with CAT or TOT, they ask me what visa I have. The answer is simple: a "retirement visa". Perhaps some of you prefer to answer the question with what I would call the ridiculous: "I don't have a visa, but I have a yearly extension of stay based on retirement".

Up to you!

54 minutes ago, tropo said:

Occasionally when I'm required to sign contracts, such as with CAT or TOT, they ask me what visa I have. The answer is simple: a "retirement visa". Perhaps some of you prefer to answer the question with what I would call the ridiculous: "I don't have a visa, but I have a yearly extension of stay based on retirement".

:thumbsup::clap2:

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I'd put it a different way. The Visa allows you to get yearly extensions of stay for the purpose of retirement. No visa - no yearly extensions of stay. They exist together as an integral unit.

I don't know why the terminology police continue to make it more complicated than it is.

We can argue till the cows come home and we have on many threads over the years. I have a visa which I call a "retirement visa". 

Up to you!

If you want to refer to the visa that you used to enter the country you should write 'Non-Immigrant Visa'. The reason it was issued is irrelevant.

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If you want to refer to the visa that you used to enter the country you should write 'Non-Immigrant Visa'. The reason it was issued is irrelevant.

I want to call my visa a "retirement visa" to make everything crystal clear. 

If I want to refer to the actual visa stamp in my passport I would call it a "Non-Immigrant O" visa.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

The Visa allows a certain period of time you can stay in Thailand. An extension extends the period of time allowed to stay even when the Visa expires. Following your logic, I can get a yearly extension from a Tourist Visa, if it's only a Visa that's required.

The terminology is important in order to give the correct advise.

Last year I was asked if a re-entry permit was required for a 'retirement Visa'. I replied there wasn't a 'retirement Visa' as such, to which he replied it was a Non Imm O ME Visa (often called the retirement Visa). A re-entry permit isn't required for a ME Visa, I told him.

4 weeks later he was issued a 30 day Visa exempt entry at Suvarnabhumi when returning.

Turned out he'd been on extension based on retirement for the last 3 years.

My information was correct based on his terminology of what he had.

Can you post an edited copy of your 'retirement Visa'. I've never seen one!

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

If I want to refer to the actual visa stamp in my passport I would call it a "Non-Immigrant O" visa.

There is a significant difference between a Visa and a Permit.

Embassies/ Consulates issue Visas.

Internal Immigration issue permits, as in re-entry permits, and extension of stay permits based on.............................

4 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Internal Immigration issue permits, as in re-entry permits, and extension of stay permits based on.............................

LOL> talk about making simple things complicated. If you want to call your visa a permit, go ahead. As I said before, it's up to you.

BTW, my Non-Immigrant-O visa was issued at Jomtien Immigration. How does that fit into your little theory?

Edited by tropo

21 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> talk about making simple things complicated. If you want to call your visa a permit, go ahead. As I said before, it's up to you.

BTW, my Non-Immigrant-O visa was issued at Jomtien Immigration. How does that fit into your little theory?

Simple for some to understand, obviously not for others.

I don't have a Visa, it expired 3 months after I entered Thailand.

I have an extension of stay permit now, based on retirement.

Your Non Imm O issued at Jomtien is an internal prelude to issuing an extension of stay permit because you had the wrong type of Visa in the first place. You obviously never did your homework in the first instance.

Edited by dentonian

12 minutes ago, dentonian said:

The Visa allows a certain period of time you can stay in Thailand. An extension extends the period of time allowed to stay even when the Visa expires. Following your logic, I can get a yearly extension from a Tourist Visa, if it's only a Visa that's required.

The terminology is important in order to give the correct advise.

Last year I was asked if a re-entry permit was required for a 'retirement Visa'. I replied there wasn't a 'retirement Visa' as such, to which he replied it was a Non Imm O ME Visa (often called the retirement Visa). A re-entry permit isn't required for a ME Visa, I told him.

4 weeks later he was issued a 30 day Visa exempt entry at Suvarnabhumi when returning.

Turned out he'd been on extension based on retirement for the last 3 years.

My information was correct based on his terminology of what he had.

Can you post an edited copy of your 'retirement Visa'. I've never seen one!

You can only get annual extensions of stay based on retirement if you meet the requirements and have a non-immigrant visa. That could be O or O-A. Why would my logic lead you to conclude you can get annual extensions on a tourist visa?

Your friend should read his extension stamps. Mine clearly has the following notice written (twice at mid-page and bottom) as follows: "To keep your stay permit, re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand"

1 minute ago, dentonian said:

Simple for some to understand, obviously not for others.

I don't have a Visa, it expired 3 months after I entered Thailand.

I have an extension of stay permit now, based on retirement.

Your Non Imm O issued at Jomtien is an internal prelude to issuing an extension of stay permit because you had the wrong type of Visa in the first place. You obviously never did your homework in the first instance.

LOL again! Now you're calling my "Non-Immigrant (category O) Visa" (clearly marked as such) issued by the Thai Immigration department an "internal prelude", just because it doesn't conform with your theory that only Embassies and Consulates can issue visas... Clearly you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

It actually costs 2000 baht and it is a visa. I came in with exactly what I wanted and went about getting what I wanted.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

You can only get annual extensions of stay based on retirement if you meet the requirements and have a non-immigrant visa. That could be O or O-A. Why would my logic lead you to conclude you can get annual extensions on a tourist visa?

Your friend should read his extension stamps. Mine clearly has the following notice written (twice at mid-page and bottom) as follows: "To keep your stay permit, re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand"

You just contradicted your early statements of having a retirement Visa. You have a permit, not a Visa.Maybe you need to read the heading on your permit as well!

Once you have an extension of stay, you merely extend the permission to stay period again, annually. Your Visa is defunct and useless.

Indeed on mine when I obtained my first extension Immigration stamped 'used' across my original Visa in bold 'red'.

The only purpose a spent Visa is of any use is to show what Visa you originally entered the Country on.

This is sometimes requested on certain forms.

And the only reason I decided to argue your terminology, is to point out the newly proposed 5/10 year Visa is not, and will not affect those on extensions based on retirement or marriage permits. By stating your extension is a retirement Visa may unnecessarily worry others on extensions who have no cause to worry about this new Visa affecting their status in Thailand.

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL again! Now you're calling my "Non-Immigrant (category O) Visa" (clearly marked as such) issued by the Thai Immigration department an "internal prelude", just because it doesn't conform with your theory that only Embassies and Consulates can issue visas... Clearly you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

It actually costs 2000 baht and it is a visa. I came in with exactly what I wanted and went about getting what I wanted.

Sorry, it's called a conversion.

i.e. You entered Thailand on the wrong Visa type to get an extension.

They only offer that service as a prelude to obtaining an extension. You have to show financial proof in advance.

If they didn't offer that conversion, you'd have to go back to whence you came and get the correct Visa.

That is a Non Imm type Visa. I guess you arrived on a TV or Visa exempt and I'm the one that's clueless. lol.

5 minutes ago, dentonian said:

You just contradicted your early statements of having a retirement Visa. You have a permit, not a Visa.Maybe you need to read the heading on your permit as well!

Once you have an extension of stay, you merely extend the permission to stay period again, annually. Your Visa is defunct and useless.

Indeed on mine when I obtained my first extension Immigration stamped 'used' across my original Visa in bold 'red'.

The only purpose a spent Visa is of any use is to show what Visa you originally entered the Country on.

This is sometimes requested on certain forms.

And the only reason I decided to argue your terminology, is to point out the newly proposed 5/10 year Visa is not, and will not affect those on extensions based on retirement or marriage permits. By stating your extension is a retirement Visa may unnecessarily worry others on extensions who have no cause to worry about this new Visa affecting their status in Thailand.

Contradict myself? LOL. 

Perhaps, before you continue, you should withdraw your nonsense about calling my "non-immigrant (category O) visa" obtained at a Thai Immigration office an "internal prelude", when in fact it is a genuine visa.

What about suggesting I didn't do my homework because I entered with the wrong visa?

What about suggesting that only Embassies and Consulates can issue visas?

When one incorrect statement has been proven wrong, you just change the subject.

1 minute ago, dentonian said:

Sorry, it's called a conversion.

i.e. You entered Thailand on the wrong Visa type to get an extension.

They only offer that service as a prelude to obtaining an extension. You have to show financial proof in advance.

If they didn't offer that conversion, you'd have to go back to whence you came and get the correct Visa.

That is a Non Imm type Visa. I guess you arrived on a TV or Visa exempt and I'm the one that's clueless. lol.

You are indeed clueless. It's not a non-imm TYPE visa. It IS a non-immgrant (category O) visa. One doesn't enter on the wrong visa. One buys the non-immigrant visa once one arrives. Only people on Thai Visa call it a conversion as that is the easiest way to explain it. One is changing one's status once here. It's a planned course of action normally taken by people who don't want to waste time visiting neighboring Embassies/Consulates or their home Embassies/Consulates.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

Perhaps, before you continue, you should withdraw your nonsense about calling my "non-immigrant (category O) visa" obtained at a Thai Immigration office an "internal prelude", when in fact it is a genuine visa.

prelude
ˈprɛljuːd/  
noun
noun: prelude; plural noun: preludes
  1. 1.
    an action or event serving as an introduction to something more important.
    "a ceasefire had been agreed as a prelude to full peace negotiations"
OR obtaining a Non Immigrant O Visa in order to then obtain an extension of stay.

Sorry maybe the word was too big for you to understand.

17 minutes ago, dentonian said:

prelude
ˈprɛljuːd/  
noun
noun: prelude; plural noun: preludes
  1. 1.
    an action or event serving as an introduction to something more important.
    "a ceasefire had been agreed as a prelude to full peace negotiations"
OR obtaining a Non Immigrant O Visa in order to then obtain an extension of stay.

Sorry maybe the word was too big for you to understand.

Whatever you want to call it (a conversion, a prelude, a visa) it contradicts what you originally stated:

"There is a significant difference between a Visa and a Permit.

Internal Immigration issue permits, as in re-entry permits, and extension of stay permits based on............................."

Thai immigration (what you called "Internal Immigration") do issue visas.

Edited by tropo

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

You are indeed clueless. It's not a non-imm TYPE visa. It IS a non-immgrant (category O) visa. One doesn't enter on the wrong visa. One buys the non-immigrant visa once one arrives. Only people on Thai Visa call it a conversion as that is the easiest way to explain it. One is changing one's status once here. It's a planned course of action normally taken by people who don't want to waste time visiting neighboring Embassies/Consulates or their home Embassies/Consulates.

I say Non Imm type Visa because extensions of stay can be issued from type 'O', or 'O-A', or 'B' Visas.

Learned something new now haven't you.

Most intending to retie in Thailand obtain a suitable Visa from an Embassy in their own Country (Post) to enable them to obtain an extension from their local Immigration office in Thailand. Far less time and money spent that way.

Just now, dentonian said:

I say Non Imm type Visa because extensions of stay can be issued from type 'O', or 'O-A', or 'B' Visas.

Learned something new now haven't you.

Most intending to retie in Thailand obtain a suitable Visa from an Embassy in their own Country (Post) to enable them to obtain an extension from their local Immigration office in Thailand. Far less time and money spent that way.

I can't learn anything new from you. You're far too confused.

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

Whatever you want to call it (a conversion, a prelude, a visa) it contradicts what you originally stated:

"There is a significant difference between a Visa and a Permit.

Internal Immigration issue permits, as in re-entry permits, and extension of stay permits based on............................."

Thai immigration (what you called "Internal Immigration") do issue visas.

Only Bangkok, Jomtien and maybe Chiang Mai.

Once again they only issue that certain Visa as a prelude to issuing an extension of stay permit.

Try getting that Visa at Immigration because you just want to stay another 90 days.........Nooooooooo!

Yes, stupid people do stupid things and enter on the wrong Visa to obtain annual extensions.

15 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Only Bangkok, Jomtien and maybe Chiang Mai.

Once again they only issue that certain Visa as a prelude to issuing an extension of stay permit.

Try getting that Visa at Immigration because you just want to stay another 90 days.........Nooooooooo!

Yes, stupid people do stupid things and enter on the wrong Visa to obtain annual extensions.

When I did it back in 2010, they were doing it everywhere...

What's stupid is you suggesting that people who buy visas from Thai immigration (something you suggested was not possible, then changed to saying they weren't real visas) are on the wrong visa... then suggest the cheap way is to fly home to visit a Consulate or Embassy in their home country. That's pretty stupid if you live in Thailand and want to change to a retirement option. Get a grip! 2000 baht plus the cost of a quick and cheap return flight to a neighboring country. If you're already planning a trip home, then sure, that's a good option.

I'm confused about this doing things in another country or in the home country. About 5 years ago I flew into Bangkok on a tourist visa (American) and managed to extend that out to 90 days. I'm not sure when it changed but today I could probably do that beginning with visa exempt. ??

During that 90 days I was able to get an O-A visa in Bangkok, open a bank account, etc. and when less than 30 days was up I was able to get an extension for retirement purposes of one year. I used the income method but it seems to me that I could have put 800k bht in and seasoned it during that time too???

Maybe things are harder now or maybe some just make them harder but I rolled right through that while also doing the small things such as getting a medical, etc.

?????

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, NeverSure said:

I'm confused about this doing things in another country or in the home country. About 5 years ago I flew into Bangkok on a tourist visa (American) and managed to extend that out to 90 days. I'm not sure when it changed but today I could probably do that beginning with visa exempt. ??

During that 90 days I was able to get an O-A visa in Bangkok, open a bank account, etc. and when less than 30 days was up I was able to get an extension for retirement purposes of one year. I used the income method but it seems to me that I could have put 800k bht in and seasoned it during that time too???

Maybe things are harder now or maybe some just make them harder but I rolled right through that while also doing the small things such as getting a medical, etc.

?????

Cheers.

The conditions are pretty easy, it's the protocol that varies from place to place that can sometimes be demanding for some people. If you are a Westerner (50 years or older), you can absolutely find a way to live in Thailand at least as cheaply as you can live in your own country.

6 hours ago, dentonian said:

there's also a significant difference when splitting hair. e.g. a "visa on arrival" is issued by the immigration authority for certain nationalities at Suvarnabhumi airport. there is neither an embassy nor a consulate at this airport.

next!

There is no law about using incorrect terminology, so call it what you like!

But on a Forum like this it's better to leave important advice to the better informed as misleading people can have consequences.

4 hours ago, Naam said:

there's also a significant difference when splitting hair. e.g. a "visa on arrival" is issued by the immigration authority for certain nationalities at Suvarnabhumi airport. there is neither an embassy nor a consulate at this airport.

next!

Agreed, the point is many on extensions have been unnecessarily worried by posts in this topic about the introduction of a new class Visa.

Calling your extension a Visa confuses and doesn't help those trying to understand the situation if they will be affected or not.

Knowing the difference and using the correct terminology educates others, rather than confuse them.

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is no law about using incorrect terminology, so call it what you like!

But on a Forum like this it's better to leave important advice to the better informed as misleading people can have consequences.

We're not giving advice on this thread about how to obtain a retirement visa/extension. I'm not going to say "I have an annual extension on a non-immigrant O visa based on retirement" every time we discuss retirement situations. There's always plenty of forum nazis with a heavy dose of OCD ready to correct any hair splitting differences anyway, so everyone is safe.:biggrin:

8 hours ago, NeverSure said:

?????

Cheers.

It's important in the context of this thread to correct your post. You absolutely did NOT get an O-A visa in Thailand. Nobody has done that EVER. O-A visas, also known as Long Stay visas are only available from a limited number of home countries. 

O-A visa applications do always require a medical form and a police record form. 

Again, these are ONLY done in a limited number of home nations. Never Thailand. 

What you did indeed do was a CHANGE OF STATUS from your tourist visa to a 90 day O visa in Thailand as the first step, and the annual retirement extension (of that O visa) as the second step.

The reason it's so important to be precise on this thread is that this proposed new 5/10 year visa may possibly (nobody here really knows FOR SURE either way yet, and don't let them say they do) REPLACE the current O-A visas, also known as Long Stay visas. I'm not saying it will or that it's even at all likely that it will, but there is no definitive authority yet confirming it won't.

Edited by Jingthing