Thailand's New 10-Year Visas Meet Mixed Reactions

webfact

There are many negative comments and few official explanation, but do you remember that this VISA was first planned to attract more expats ?

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2016/10/26/tourism-minister-talks-5-year-visas/

As the northern province is home to about 12,000 long-stay foreigners and a destination the government wants to promote as a medical hub, Kobkarn said her ministry would push the Immigration Bureau to loosen measures, such as dropping 90-day check-ins in favor of an annual system.

The population of long-staying residents is expected to grow 5 percent to 10 percent annually, she said.

If that new VISA replace the old one, that will decrease the figure of expats, that doesn't make sense !

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

I agree utter madness. Name one place in Europe that will let me live there without having health coverage. The 77 year old Scot that thinks insurance is a swindle doesn't have 3 million Baht to put in the bank and is unwilling to buy insurance. lol

I have no idea why they would be concerned this man at his advanaced age would be a burden on the system at some point. Sounds like a quality guy, just what any country would want.

They should waive the insurance requirement for those unable/unwilling to buy insurance. The catch would be you have to voluntarily sign a euthanasia contract. So if you get hurt or become ill and can't afford care you consent being put down with as much ceremony as a soi dog. You would be required to have enough money permanently in an account to pay for the procedure.

You really are a <deleted>!

A burden on the system? They just don't treat you!

Treat as a soi dog, really, you are scum.

The key question for most expats is whether or not this will replace the current 1 year retirement visa!  If so, there will be a mass exodus of expats due to the oversized income and insurance requirements!  Why does Panama seem so attractive right now?

Don't get mad, it is just my opinion(:>)!!!

18 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Mook 23

We are talking here about a major accident or illness that precludes travelling.

Would everyone stop dancing around the reality here.

If you are over 50 & want to retire here then 3 mil in your bank account  in Thailand is not excessive.

If that is too much maybe time to head home & let your ex nanny state take care of you

Singaporeans in Oz have to bring twice that into the country to live there.

Just out of interest in OZ and Singapore do they require that any money that is brought in by people who wish to live there to remain in a bank account and not be spent for the first year?  Or are you free to spend it as you please? 

This is not a trolling type post, just a genuine question. Seems very odd if they do? 

1 minute ago, chrissables said:

You really are a <deleted>!

A burden on the system? They just don't treat you!

Treat as a soi dog, really, you are scum.

yep this thread and the other one are a stark reminder of just how many <deleted> there are in thailand, funny how they mostly seem to be the rich ones.. the ones thailand wants more of LOL

3 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

The key question for most expats is whether or not this will replace the current 1 year retirement visa!  If so, there will be a mass exodus of expats due to the oversized income and insurance requirements!  Why does Panama seem so attractive right now?

I almost moved to Colombia in 2014 and really regret not having done it while I still had the chance

2 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

Yes Panama, or just drag my stuff over the border to Cambodia or Myanmar.

24 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Imagine you tried to get into the USA.  When filling out the visa forms you tell them you don't meet the requirements but you love the American people and have many friends. You are kidding yourself if you think it is not all about money and visas. 

But instead of entering legally, you simply need to hire a coyote to transport you from Mexican border into the US and claim asylum.  Seems to be a fast-track to amnesty and citizenship.  So attempt to enter legally and your rejected off-hand.  When the neo-cons/neo-liberals say that the US immigration system is broken they are correct.  The legal avenue to immigration is broken beyond all repair.  But they accept illegal immigrations by the millions.  No forms to fill out, in fact, don't bring identification at all as that will expedite the process.  And once in the US, yell and scream that you are breaking up families and human-rights immigration lawyers associated with pro-illegal-immigration NGOs will take your case pro-bono.
There is no comparison between Thai and US immigration other than both legal venues are broken and only serve a small sub-set of well-to-do applicants. It was not that way when my great-grandparents entered the US.   Illegal entry is a viable option in the US, but not in the Land of Smiles.  So if the Thai government plans to ratchet up the bar so that most retirees and non-o holders can't meet the financial requirements after meeting them for years, it's going to be a human rights catastrophe.

1 hour ago, Mook23 said:

That picture is pure gold. Im sure a lot of brainstorming was done to come up with that. ?

The retired norm around here wears a singlet, fake amulet, crocks and camouflage shorts... 555

And that's not a Thailand beach, there's no plastic bags floating in the water, can't see a jet-ski either.

Just now, NCC1701A said:

Yes Panama, or just drag my stuff over the border to Cambodia or Myanmar.

sadly, Myanmar still does not offer any such option. They r busy re-building their country and probably have other thoughts atm. Incredibly nice people, BTW

A farce for expats married to Thais. Absolutely no benefit at all.

So we'll stick to the annual trek to Savanakhet. Living in the far north a 3 monthly bimble to Thakilek for a decent cup of tea is no real hassle....

17 minutes ago, just bob said:

No way am I going to park that amount of money into a Thai bank with no pay on death provisions requiring my American family to do a probate here.  No way will I not continue to self insure. 

As to medical tourism, these people are not moving here.  They just come for a few months for the procedures and go home.  That's why its called "tourism". 

This ten year, really five year visa proposition was very poorly conceived.

Of course. Saying this is designed to attract medical tourism is insane. Medical tourists stay in the country for the duration of their medical/dental treatment then return home. For 99% of them a 2-month visa is adequate.

1 hour ago, Docno said:

Going without health insurance is admittedly a bit of a gamble. But remember that insurance companies make healthy profits from health insurance. That means that most insured persons don't get back what they put in. In the aggregate, the odds are with the uninsured who keep money in their pocket rather than giving it to insurance companies and not getting equal or greater value in return. Of course, the gamble lies in the fact that you may be the person that one day faces a catastrophic condition for which health insurance would make a difference. I've been taking the gambler's route for the last many years (I have comfortable savings), but it was sobering to learn that two friends this year, both in their mid-50s, needed major surgery (one brain, one colon) as the result of cancer diagnoses. They didn't gamble, and that decision paid off for them.... 

You bet its a gamble.

If your over 55 its a big gamble !

I was very happy to have insurance as I  was wheeled, barely hanging on to consciuosness ,  into the  Emergency Dept  of one of  Bkk  best hospitals and staff were yelling at me , "We can ONLY treat you if you have Insurance !!!"

I managed to mutter , "..money..." and they shook their heads and yelled it again.

I looked at my pocket.

Immediately they found my BUPA card , treatment started.

I was by myself that day and had nobody to speak for me.

I lost consciousness then , and didnt regain it for 2 days.

In that time I'd had an MRI , Cat Scan and all types of treatments ... all on the strength of that card.

So much for the idea of leisurely boarding a plane back to Australia and having things done for free should I become unwell...

Often heart attacks , strokes etc strike without notice.

Car and bike accidents NEVER have a warning ...

You REALLY dont want to be in another town or city by yourself without  any Insurance card  when they happen.

I wasnt capable of contacting my Thai family for 3 days - they had no idea what had happened , and therefore  no way to help me ... a locked phone was no good to the nurses , but a card was good for all of us.

Ive checked it , and found that if you join BUPA under the age of 60 , they contract to continue cover over 70.

( Yes it could get very expensive but ) 

I have highlighted that agreement and had it countersigned by a BUPA director.

The cost for basic inpatient coverage is about 800 pound sterling now , for me at 59.

Whatever -  IT GETS YOU IN THE  HOSPITAL DOOR !

No good having a few hundred thou in the bank , and no way to explain how to get at it to save your own life!!

Later I asked staff why they wouldnt take cash.

They said they would , but only if it was there and then , and that never happened.

They could 'pull' a credit card from the customers pocket , and put a "hold" on 100k , but ONLY if the patient ok'ed this - so not if a patient was unconscious....

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Very unclear on the 3 million baht.

How will the government stop you withdrawing any in the first year?

Is it a special account say in a government bank?

How can it be shown that money has been spent in Thailand? Keep all your receipts?

So little information yet.

Did you really expect that any basic detail has yet been considered, blow a few trumpets, a bit of a drum roll, make an announcement and everything will by magic fall into place ?

If you are married to a Thai Lady and have a Thai marriage certificate you can present, you can register at Government hospitals for treatment at the same cost as Thai's. You cannot however get the free treatment option. In the bigger Government hospitals they have a premium service that you can use where many Thai's also go that can afford it.

If you are retired here in Thailand and cant get health insurance due to age or due to a pre existing conditions then using the Government hospital premium service is the way to go.   

4 minutes ago, Batboy said:

If you are married to a Thai Lady and have a Thai marriage certificate you can present, you can register at Government hospitals for treatment at the same cost as Thai's. You cannot however get the free treatment option. In the bigger Government hospitals they have a premium service that you can use where many Thai's also go that can afford it.

If you are retired here in Thailand and cant get health insurance due to age or due to a pre existing conditions then using the Government hospital premium service is the way to go.   

Thanks for this, I'll look into it next week. Any more details ? I've found with our local Hospital it pays to have as much information as one can.

And if married to a Thai who is a government employee and you are covered by her insurance for all medical expenses, admittedly only in a government hospital - how is that going to be treated with regards to having to have health insurance - just another unknown.

Edited by Artisi

Just now, MrMuddle said:

Thanks for this, I'll look into it next week. Any more details ? I've found with our local Hospital it pays to have as much information as one can.

When you register at a Government Hospital you register and get given an ID card. When you register you need to also present your marriage certificate original to get registered to get the same treatment cost in Premium as Thai's do. I use the big Government Hospital near Victory Monument in Bangkok and find the Hospital and Thai Doctor I have very good and informative   

1 minute ago, Batboy said:

When you register at a Government Hospital you register and get given an ID card. When you register you need to also present your marriage certificate original to get registered to get the same treatment cost in Premium as Thai's do. I use the big Government Hospital near Victory Monument in Bangkok and find the Hospital and Thai Doctor I have very good and informative   

Thanks for your help.  :)

one thing to come out of this thread, and others like is how close to the edge some retired Expats are living.

I can remember getting flamed in another thread for saying the 800,000 baht retirement extension of stay requirement was no problem for me. But 3,000,000 is to risky to tie up in Thailand right now, especially as an American with the US being stronger right now.

If this becomes the new requirement, I can see a "forced" exodus of many of my new Farang friends here in Thailand because there is no way they can come up with the extra cash. I know one bar owner who will have to leave. I am sure to the delight of his Thai partners. 

So can you imagine you are all setup in Thailand with your new condo that you own, have your budget, done your research and have your retirement plan and then you need 3,000,000 more baht just to stay? Locked up forever? or only to be spent in Thai hospitals or on property? and then replace every 5 years if you spend any of it? Where does a 80 year old retired Expat get another 3,000,000 baht?

and you still have to do 90 day reporting?

I always joke about going to Cambodia or Myanmar but it looks like it may be time to start that research in earnest if this 3 mil baht idea become a requirement for everyone over 50.   

And again, in my case, I could come up with the money, but why?

No way now I would ever buy a condo or start a business here. And that does not include any emotional involvements here. I feel horrible for those who would have to leave their families or your Thai girlfriend.

And this short sighted policy means that in my case if I were to leave, the Thai government and people lose about  17 million baht that I would be spending in the next 20 years in the local economy.

MADNESS.

Edited by NCC1701A

Well the easy way to do it would be to just make anybody without insurance keep $10,000 in a special account permanently. If all they are asking is a policy of 10 grand I don't see why it couldn't be done this way? It isn't like a policy of that size is a mind boggling sum. 

I Am 70, 15 years in Thailand January 2017, don't leave home without my European insurance card 1,5 million medical coverage, max 180 days away from home country.
Thus I travel 2x year to home country at my satisfaction.
5 years ago I adopted a little girl, getting 6 soon.
10 year visa?
Not interested.
Something bad will happen some day, if I survive I will be moved over for treatment in Europe.
If that is without return, so be it. I can't go on forever to take care of my Thai assets.
I got fed up with all the stupidity in this country, although HOME is worse.
At 70 can't get insurance here, end of story.
Not very useful for a lot of people, stupid Thai thinking again.

SO this is a brand new one? And the others will still excist?

It is an in between the normal ones and the "Thai elite card"?

WIth health insurance you aren"t secured as they will say, if you get an illness, it was already there when you 

bought the insurance and therefor not pay. If you get cancer, it was already there, so pay yourself.

And the older you get, the more are the chances, so indeed you cant get insurance anymore or maybe at very high prices.

So this "new" setting is for insurance companies to make more money, some rich Thai have bonds? 

I have been here 13 years and have wanted a 5 or 10 year Visa ever since I went to get the extension the first, what a pain in the rear end every year. Now at 81 I can get one and have a reason to live 5 more years so I can extend again.

I want them to get into the 21Century an get rid of the stupid 90 Report for those who have property/wife's property.

I am retired USAF and they cover my Insurance up to 75%. My Thailand wife's Insurance is 28,000THB a year, plus my USAF covers her too.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the "Yanks" out there !!

4 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Well the easy way to do it would be to just make anybody without insurance keep $10,000 in a special account permanently. If all they are asking is a policy of 10 grand I don't see why it couldn't be done this way? It isn't like a policy of that size is a mind boggling sum. 

or exclude completely anyone who owns property already.

you own a 3 mil baht or more condo? 3 mil baht cash requirement waved. 

2 hours ago, alocacoc said:

What concerns him is the requirement that one must have health insurance covering hospital stays and annual coverage worth at least USD$10,000.

“I’m not sure about the compulsory medical insurance, though,” Carter said. “Never encountered a rule like this before.”

Many insurance companies do not cover at the required level, he added.

I don't get it. 10000 USD is nothing. I spent 700 000 baht in one week at Bangkok Hospital. Then, my intl. insurance is not limited to a certain amount of money.

And, how can someone retire abroad without a health insurance? That's insane.

Because as you get older the premium becomes more expensive, in fact at 70 years old a quote of 3000 pounds per annum, if you are on  a low income, is just not affordable, and many people try to put a bit to one side to cover emergencies.