Why doesn't the Thai baht move?

The Malaysian ringgit is down more than 11% vs. the dollar; the Philippine peso down about 8.6%, not to mention the Swiss franc is now less than parity as of today; the Euro is at under $1.06 and experts say it will reach parity (athough of course predictions are so often wrong); need I go on? Why is the baht always around 35? Selfishly, I'd like to get some living-in-Thailand bargains!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THB is not always at 35, if you look at the near history you'll see that against USD, it trades in a range of 29 to 36 in recent times.

BOT operates a managed float which means they intervene in the markets to smooth out any volatility in the exchange rate so as to protect export. Having said that BOT holds extremely large amounts of foreign currency reserves hence that, plus comparatively low levels of public debt etc etc means the baht remains naturally strong. 

Now queue the conspiracy theorists who will tell us the Bangkok elite are managing the exchange rate for their own self interests, when they do, ask they how they do and to provide proof.

The country is considered stable ATM so the baht is strong. But Trump has def helped, it was up to 44 to the £ a few days back. Give it a couple of years, maybe Brexit won't happen and we'll be back to 55

That's more to do with the pound recovering slightly than the baht weakening.

With the Feds rumored to jack up the interest rate in the coming month or so,

coupled with wishy woshy Trump assent to the throne and China economy in the

doldrums, the greenback is moving up and you will see the THB getting unseated

form it's lofty perch....

Fed rates affect sterling more, unfortunately (for me)

2 hours ago, Cook my sock said:

The country is considered stable ATM so the baht is strong. But Trump has def helped, it was up to 44 to the £ a few days back. Give it a couple of years, maybe Brexit won't happen and we'll be back to 55

Disagree my way of thinking was the £ was up to 44.4 now and is on the way up because of Brexit. :smile:

5 hours ago, Cook my sock said:

I want back to 74.9    12 years ago

6 hours ago, chiang mai said:

plus comparatively low levels of public debt etc etc means the baht remains naturally strong. 

Love your statement when I watch one new car after another drive down the street. I guess all the articles in the news of high debt here in Thailand are pure fiction. 

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

When the USA's National Debt reaches 40 trillion and the annual deficit is 3 trillion watch the dollar crumble.

Hmm not so long as the world remains their piggy bank. Buy any commodity you must pay the US piper. Nothing moves at present unless you pay in US dollars. Guess I am just jealous my country is a much more stable progressive country yet we are taking a beating at the hands of the greenback. The change will come slowly but sadly I will not be around to see it. 

2 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Hmm not so long as the world remains their piggy bank. Buy any commodity you must pay the US piper. Nothing moves at present unless you pay in US dollars. Guess I am just jealous my country is a much more stable progressive country yet we are taking a beating at the hands of the greenback. The change will come slowly but sadly I will not be around to see it. 

you are thoroughly mistaken. just because some commodities are quoted in US-Dollars doesn't mean they can't be bought and paid for by any other freely fungible currency. but you are excused because this misleading fairy tale is floating around since decades.

5 minutes ago, Naam said:

you are thoroughly mistaken. just because some commodities are quoted in US-Dollars doesn't mean they can't be bought and paid for by any other freely fungible currency. but you are excused because this misleading fairy tale is floating around since decades.

Thank you for the uplifting advice and I am hmm thoroughly mistaken really. It must be the Klingon coming out in you. Love the word fungible

"money is fungible—money that is raised for one purpose can easily be used for another" Does that mean If I have beer money I can change my mind and spend it on a bar girl? Yes I am guilty I love fairy tales. May you live long and prosper brother may Allah bless you with many sharp tongued daughters. 

Just now, elgordo38 said:

"money is fungible—money that is raised for one purpose can easily be used for another" Does that mean If I have beer money I can change my mind and spend it on a bar girl?

yes, you can.

20 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Love your statement when I watch one new car after another drive down the street. I guess all the articles in the news of high debt here in Thailand are pure fiction. 

You're referring to private (or consumer) debt, my statement relates to government or public debt, the strength or weakness of a country's economy doesn't depend of private debt very much at all.

Just now, chiang mai said:

You're referring to private (or consumer) debt, my statement relates to government or public debt, the strength or weakness of a country's economy doesn't depend of private debt very much at all.

Really. Have you ever heard of consumer spending which can make or break countries. 

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Really. Have you ever heard of consumer spending which can make or break countries. 

My statement referred solely to public debt.

Yes, but Thailand is nowhere near that point!

google bangkok post thailand consumer debt ratio and read the article there.

Remind what the UK ratio is!

I'd like to see the 'basket of currencies' weighting that the Baht is pegged to.  I have thought for many years that it must be 80-90% USD.

I don't think the USD is getting stronger, but all the peripheral currencies are taking the dive first and they revolve around the USD as the global currency, so may be the last one to go down the plug hole unless there are some break away actions from other countries.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

" With the Feds rumored to jack up the interest rate in the coming month or so, "

Despite all the hoopla, it's the markets that set the rates. This past summer the 10 year was at about 1.3% and now it's at about 2.4%. That wasn't the Fed moving rates, that was the market and the dollar index rose along with it.

rates3.png

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

What type of flowers do you like ?

Archived