Man Dies After Jumping From Siam Paragon Escalator

rooster59

Man Dies After Jumping From Siam Paragon Escalator

Thailand_Bangkok_SiamParagon_Night.jpg

Photo: Mark Fischer / Flickr

BANGKOK — A man who fell from an escalator to the ground floor of the Siam Paragon shopping mall Friday night died of his injuries after being rushed to the hospital.

Lt. Col. Thanawut Prasertnoo of Pathumwan police said Saturday the man, 44-year-old Samret Sangteerapeetikul, died during the night as he was being treated for severe injuries at the Police Hospital. They believe it was a suicide.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2016/11/26/man-dies-jumping-siam-paragon-escalator/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-11-26

Puerile = childish.  Redundancies weaken criticism, scorn or outrage. I might suggest a man's fall/suicide in a shopping centre rates low on a "serious" scale of incidents given current events and circumstances in this country. Learning to laugh about the extraordinary or bizarre might even be good therapy.

Actually - if any of you armchair Sherlocks had bothered to actually click the link and taken the five seconds to read the article you would have found that police initially believed it to be an accident but after talking to his doctors found out the poor man had been suffering from depression.

“At first we thought he had just slipped from the escalator,” Thanawut said. “But turns out, the doctors said he was suffering from depression.”

Amazing that nobody can even take the time for such a simple action first. Or actually, quite believable from the direction this thread has taken.

R.I.P. Sir,

I am always amazed it does not happen more often........I regularly visit the Mall at the market in Hua Hin, I am always conscious of the open spaces from the top escalator to the ground floor.....Especially as i am six foot three...( 1.85 for the metric members).......scary.....:jap:

A tragic blood sacrifice to the God of consumerism, in one of the cathedrals of the first true world religion.

On a day increasingly known around the world as "Black Friday".

The day of Consumer Ecstasy.

Edited by Enoon

Its weird but I once had the feeling to just let go  from the void at the top of  Terminal 21  ... I'm not at all suicidal but I have had the urge a number of times when approaching a cliff or rooftop or other high place  it is accompanied by a slight vertigo type feeling ...

when you fly in a dream .......

A curious study by Florida State University in 2012, came up with another possible explanation for why someone might get the urge to jump to their certain doom. Rather than a sign of ideation, it may be the mind’s convoluted way of appreciating life. The researchers even coined a new term for this particular sensation: high place phenomenon.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/high-place-phenomeon-suicide-ideation-cognitive-dissonance-378029

just saying ......

1 hour ago, LadyHeather said:

Actually - if any of you armchair Sherlocks had bothered to actually click the link and taken the five seconds to read the article you would have found that police initially believed it to be an accident but after talking to his doctors found out the poor man had been suffering from depression.

Amazing that nobody can even take the time for such a simple action first. Or actually, quite believable from the direction this thread has taken.

Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

But it just does seem an unlikely place to commit suicide from...  depression or not

More likely, he could have been in a hurry, pushing past someone, and ended up accidentally falling.

but as usual, not much point speculating, as there are so many possible scenarios, (like hurrying to escape that German loan shark?) and we rarely read the follow up report.

so. either way, another tragedy in LOS... RIP

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How about saying nothing if there is nothing constructive to say that is relevant to the subject? Jeez, it's like two five-year olds fighting in the playground.

A certain few on here cannot help themselves, just follow them and you will see.  One has to wonder how they survived kindergarten, let alone the real world.:wai: 

3 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

The design of shopping malls in Thailand has always surprised me as there seems to be a large amount of opportunities for people to fall off or jump off things such as escalators and balconies.

So, there aren't balconies in the shopping centers, airports, office buildings, etc. in your homeland? 

4 hours ago, Fireyfish said:

Its weird but I once had the feeling to just let go  from the void at the top of  Terminal 21  ... I'm not at all suicidal but I have had the urge a number of times when approaching a cliff or rooftop or other high place  it is accompanied by a slight vertigo type feeling ...

A curious study by Florida State University in 2012, came up with another possible explanation for why someone might get the urge to jump to their certain doom. Rather than a sign of ideation, it may be the mind’s convoluted way of appreciating life. The researchers even coined a new term for this particular sensation: high place phenomenon.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/high-place-phenomeon-suicide-ideation-cognitive-dissonance-378029

just saying ......

culling the herd, natural selection. good byyyyyyyyyyyyyye

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

RIP. poor guy. The escalators in Siam Paragon are no different from any other shopping center. I shop there every weekend, although my limousine driver does have problems finding a park sometimes.

perhaps you ought to buy a helicopter

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

RIP. poor guy. The escalators in Siam Paragon are no different from any other shopping center. I shop there every weekend, although my limousine driver does have problems finding a park sometimes.

They don't let you in the VIP parking area because you are a pleb.

17 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

The design of shopping malls in Thailand has always surprised me as there seems to be a large amount of opportunities for people to fall off or jump off things such as escalators and balconies.

Hmmm.....does this mean if you live and shop in Thailand , you are more likely to be suicidal?

1 hour ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm.....does this mean if you live and shop in Thailand , you are more likely to be suicidal?

Is that a deliberately obtuse response or is it just plain daft?

All over the world buildings and natural sites that give the public access to high places take precautions to prevent both accidental and deliberate falls, from the Eiffel Tower to the Grand Canyon...yet in Thailand there seems scant regard for public safety in this respect either in public places or even in Condo design......

On 11/26/2016 at 6:48 PM, Fireyfish said:

just saying ......

Must come from low place boredom.