My Thai wife has died unexpectedly

My deepest condilences.

In the rules is stated that visa s valid till the next the next extension.

If you have thai children you can change the visa depending on take care of thai child.

Hope this helps you out in those difficult times

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

My condolences as well Randell. My wife and I have been working on this very thing as you just never know. My wife doesn't want me to have to leave as we built the house together and we have no children. 

At this juncture I can only confirm what others have said and that your Visa is good until the date but after you will have to do some leg work to find out your options, especially being your Pension doesn't meet the requirement. 

Do you have a yellow book or are you registered to live at the house? If so inheritance laws do apply foreigner or not. 

I want to call attention to this piece of incorrect information in the 3rd paragraph.  (For JAFO and future readers.)  Having a yellow book or being registered at a house has NOTHING to do with inheritance laws, ownership of the house, (even if you do own the house, and are married.)  This gives you no rights in that area.

We all need to keep in mind that there are many, maybe MOST lawyers in Thailand who will misinform you for various reasons ..so if you have been told this ...you have been told wrong!!

Randell,

My deepest condolences to you.

I'm no expert in your dilemma whatsoever.  Nonetheless, this seems to call for the services of a good law firm that specializes in your particular issues.

You're probably already exploring that; if not, I'm sure many members here could share advice and recommendations.

I wish you all the best.

P.S.  This is terribly crass, I know...but would you consider a remarriage to solidify your residency?  (Sorry for my seeming insensitivity).

• Like 2

I think the best advice was to continue your stay on the Multiple entry visa which will give you some time to get your life somewhat sorted and get though the immediate grieving.  One thing I do remember well was when I went to immigration- they were very nice - I showed them the death certificate- and were willing to help me in any way possible. I don't want to sound crass- but make sure you obtain this document from the Amphur -of course it will be in Thai and have it translated to English. I have needed this document on a few occasions .

My best to you and yours.

• Like 2

Randall

Extremely sorry to hear of the sudden loss of your wife after so many years together.

At this time words cannot help much, only time can bring healing to you, and for each one of us that time is different. I pray your healing comes soon for you. Be strong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amykat said:

I want to call attention to this piece of incorrect information in the 3rd paragraph.  (For JAFO and future readers.)  Having a yellow book or being registered at a house has NOTHING to do with inheritance laws, ownership of the house, (even if you do own the house, and are married.)  This gives you no rights in that area.

We all need to keep in mind that there are many, maybe MOST lawyers in Thailand who will misinform you for various reasons ..so if you have been told this ...you have been told wrong!!

All married couples are entitled to 50 percent share of assets attained during marriage upon death or divorce. 

This is covered extensively in the civil code, book of marriage. 

Nothing to do with the yellow book. 

Even if she bought a house with her own money during marriage, the spouse is entitled to 50 percent. 

2 hours ago, amykat said:

AmyKat,

I appreciate the correction as I do not want to mislead people in anyway.  I apologize to the audience if I have spoken incorrectly.

My wife and I have done a tremendous amount of research and have proceeded based on the information we have acquired. With that said Amykat it appears you know the process as you speak with confidence. Would you care to take the time to guide the audience or offer a summary? It really is invaluable information for us that want to do this correctly to protect our interests. 

Thanks

4 hours ago, akentryan said:

He is entitled to 50% plus he shares equally in the other 50% with the mother and father. He has two-thirds. That is assuming the land and house is in her name. If it isn't, he has nothing except what they wish to give him. A lot will also depend on who is named the Executor if she actually owns the land and house. The Executor has one year to liquidate the estate.  The husband has the option of buying the family out by paying one-third of the FMV of the property. But again he has to have a Thai person to take title - the sister perhaps? The family has the option of doing nothing and waiting him out, Just went through this last year with a wife that was 20 years younger. She died without a will and she was a lawyer. All it takes is one family member "that doesn't want to give up their inheritance" to screw everything up. Count on greed coming into play.    

So so, very true, I do trust my wife, (and have moved a lot of assets into her name) but definitely not her family, which is why for me it is imperative she have a will, which was in place before I started moving assets; I am also appointed executor.

We have also discussed when I am gone and she will say I left her badly provided for to keep the family vultures away

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

AmyKat,

I appreciate the correction as I do not want to mislead people in anyway.  I apologize to the audience if I have spoken incorrectly.

My wife and I have done a tremendous amount of research and have proceeded based on the information we have acquired. With that said Amykat it appears you know the process as you speak with confidence. Would you care to take the time to guide the audience or offer a summary? It really is invaluable information for us that want to do this correctly to protect our interests. 

Thanks

Well, what I wanted to say, I think I have said.  Let me say it better  ...The Yellow House book confers no rights, it is simply a form of ID.

It would be like saying, I have a passport, now I am covered to fully inherit this house if my wife dies.

There are many myths about this book, so I wanted to be sure to clarify that for people who would read this one day.