How to stop ants

Merv291265

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look for someone's recipe for boric acid,sugar and water to make a paste. It sounded good as they said the workers carry it back and it kills the colony. I think the chalk sticks Thais use to draw a perimeter to repel ants is boric acid as it works to repel them for a time but without the sugar the ants don't take it home they just don't cross the line and find another path inside.

I use the chalk sticks. They r very effective used in the right places..... Especially points of entry.....Takes a while but they eventually get the message and go elsewhere foraging and for water. Someone already mentioned cleanliness, and if u put all your food waste in one bin and keep that bin outside they r less likely to come inside.

On 11/28/2016 at 1:49 AM, KMartinHandyman said:

Look for someone's recipe for boric acid,sugar and water to make a paste. It sounded good as they said the workers carry it back and it kills the colony. I think the chalk sticks Thais use to draw a perimeter to repel ants is boric acid as it works to repel them for a time but without the sugar the ants don't take it home they just don't cross the line and find another path inside.

5 parts sugar, 2 parts warm water, 1 part boric acid.  Mix well to dissolve the boric acid.  A watery paste works best.

I usually make a small batch, using a spoon.

Backtrack their trail and make splatters along the way.  The ants go crazy over this stuff.  They'll be gone by the next day.

Chalk sticks work great for a short term solution.  

The boric acid works permanently.  However, a new group of ants might take over the nest.  Just make another batch and let 'em party until they die. 

Edited by rijb

6 hours ago, rijb said:

5 parts sugar, 2 parts warm water, 1 part boric acid.  Mix well to dissolve the boric acid.  A watery paste works best.

I usually make a small batch, using a spoon.

Backtrack their trail and make splatters along the way.  The ants go crazy over this stuff.  They'll be gone by the next day.

Chalk sticks work great for a short term solution.  

The boric acid works permanently.  However, a new group of ants might take over the nest.  Just make another batch and let 'em party until they die. 

But why do u want to kill them all? No need! We are destroying everything on this planet!

3 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

But why do u want to kill them all? No need! We are destroying everything on this planet!

???  Just save the women and children ants!!!

I just had a load of ants get into my chicken chicks pen and kill most of them.... in a very slow and painful way.  I am not going to cry about killing all the mindless ants that cause problems for me. 

6 hours ago, SunsetT said:

I tried talking to them about staying out of the house.  But, they ignored me.

2 hours ago, rijb said:

I tried talking to them about staying out of the house.  But, they ignored me.

Have you tried to put little signs up with 'no ants allowed' picture on them for them to read..... as you know they aren't very good at understand English.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:49 AM, RichCor said:

For ANTS, ...don't leave food open in the house, keep food surfaces cleaned, and set THESE in their path so it kills their colony.

54312.jpg

Hi RichCor,  Where do you buy the packets of ARS ANT KILLER, 7/11, Tesco, Big C, etc.,?????

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:49 AM, RichCor said:

11 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Hi RichCor,  Where do you buy the packets of ARS ANT KILLER, 7/11, Tesco, Big C, etc.,?????

HomePro sells this as "BAIT INCEST KILLER ARS 2.5g",  51฿

I'm not sure how you use it as a bait for incest. It also makes a good Ant Killer even if HomePro doesn't market it that way.

Yea, most of the large shops like Tesco, BigC, etc, will carry it.  

I tend to open the foil pouch and put pour 1/4 of the bait into the green 'ant hotel' at a time. Otherwise the high humidity may affect the bait before the ants have taken it all. Then I move the plastic box to a new location and top off.

I'm not really into killing ants. I usually remove what drew their attention, wipe down all surfaces to remove the seeker-ant's scent trails and use the chalk to mark a line they shouldn't cross.  I only resort to the 'incest' killer when they've over run the place and won't leave. The bait is preferable to the noxious canned spray.  

• 3 weeks later...

You can buy this stuff in builders and larger supermarkets -   It can be used  as a powder to dust major crowd movements or mixed with water and put into a spray gun.   Creates some havoc - but think its not too toxic on pets and humans.

Probably very close to one of the Borax solutions offered above.

I first saw this in use with a tree surgeon clambering up a tree that needed limbs lopping and needed something to fight back with against those biting red ants.   

imgusr_tradekey_com_o-B1306-20100826095611_era-powder-plus-100g-insecticide-powder_jpg.jpg

In Satun my gf had a spraycan, didnt check on what it was  and what was in it. Though as it is always a poison, i kept my distance and

hold my breath while spraying, but it sure worked. The line of ants disappeared, didnt come back, maybe in time again as it will wash away,

but it worked instantly. There arent that many shops overthere, but ofcourse there was a 7/11, maybe there they sold it?

But killing a whole nest? yha maybe if it is just close to the house , but otherwise, why?

Also you can be more carefull with food, as if they find it they"ll  come back again and again thnx to making a lead for the other ones.

On 11/28/2016 at 1:49 AM, RichCor said:

For ANTS, ...don't leave food open in the house, keep food surfaces cleaned, and set THESE in their path so it kills their colony.

54312.jpg

These ARS dispensers seem expensive for the small amount of product  but they work 100%. Can recommend these.

I found this recipe works wonders.  take a tray, put 10 teaspoons full of baking soda and add the same amount of confectioners sugar, blend thoroughly then add a few spoonfuls of water to make the ingredients moist.  Ants will be attracted to the confectioners sugar but when they consume it the baking soda will cause their stomachs to rupture.  I put a tray of this in my bathroom and within a week every blood ant in my house was dead.  The powdery substance turned brown from all the ant bodies.  This is no joke.  It really works.  Good luck with your ant problems. can use the same mixture on a saucer or styrofoam food tray.

I brought a.little bottle of liquid raid from home. A few drops here and there and they suck it up and take it to nest. Works great but not seen it in Thailand. The other thing you can do instead of spraying poison hit them with a few sprays of window cleaner or Mr muscle. Stops them dead.a lot safer too in the kitchen.

Fly screens on windows and doors. Ants just draw chalk lines across the floor on all entrances and around the outside window ledges. Also a few used peppermint tea bags scattered around the house. Plus small container lids filled with water under each table leg. If you squash a fly or cockroach or any other creepy crawly clean it up asap as withing minutes the ants will come from nowhere for a feed.

Edited by lungnorm

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:15 AM, SunsetT said:

Unfortunately the small black ants loves to go into electric appliances/wiring and can cause substantial losses. I don't kill ants in the garden but there is a no entry sign on the house.