• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You think he would be out looking for a new job,instead of these antics,

or maybe he is just doing this hoping it will make it easier finding a job,

as the new reborn NOTT,who would not hurt a fly,and is very,very sorry,NOTT.

regards worgeordie

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

Totally pathetic. Does this idiocy and insult to genuine spirituality never end? It's difficult to take much more of this nonsense ...

yes " genuine spirituality" No such  thing, pathetic

32 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

It is increasingly difficult to have any respect for the institution of Buddhism when the hierarchy permit/condone/encourage this sort of conduct as a path to absolution.

This creature is no more than a self absorbed TV 'star' who's absorbed in his own limited success.

I do hope he's not given another chance in the TV industry.

How  can you have any respect for any religion anywhere when it  supplies no evidence yet  should be providing incredible evidence

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

No different to a Catholic banging his neighbour's wife and then the pair of them going to 'confession' to be absolved of sin, except perhaps that their 'confession' is private.

As for the show of the class divide, that is normal too, and not just in Thailand either. 

Not so. You cannot get absolution from criminal offenses through the church. Confession might just make you feel better.

55 minutes ago, Tom Parkinson said:

I always find these threads interesting... Invariably they degenerate into rants about Thailand being a 3rd world country that will never achieve the moral and legal standards of the West. 

While I have some sympathies with these arguments, I would argue that it's more instructive to view Thailand through an anthropological lens of a country making a transition from an agrarian, feudal society to an industrialised democratic society following the rule of law. 

Viewed from this perspective, I think the most profound differences between ThaIland and the West result not from inherent differences in theology or morality, but rather from the simple fact that they are at different points in their respective evolutions. 

The Catholic Church struggled with the problem of "indulgences" acquired (and bought) to absolve sin throughout the Middle Ages -- and really only banished the practice in the 20th century.  

Thailand's transition, having begun late in the world's Industrial Age and continuing throughout the Information Age, has been much, much shorter. It's no surprise then that many institutions in Thailand are under stress as the old ways that once worked give way to new ways that are not yet developed, accepted, and understood. 

I always  found  truth and  facts  work fine, anything else is b.s

1 minute ago, kannot said:

How  cait you have any respect for aesy religion anywhere when it  supplies no evidence yet  should be providing incredible evidence

I have little/no respect for religion generally, but Buddhism Is regarded as more of a 'philosophy of life' than a religion, fine point perhaps? It Is not mainstream religion.

Be that as It may, the Institution Is struggling for credibility when It permits this to happen.

1 hour ago, Tom Parkinson said:

I always find these threads interesting... Invariably they degenerate into rants about Thailand being a 3rd world country that will never achieve the moral and legal standards of the West. 

While I have some sympathies with these arguments, I would argue that it's more instructive to view Thailand through an anthropological lens of a country making a transition from an agrarian, feudal society to an industrialised democratic society following the rule of law. 

Viewed from this perspective, I think the most profound differences between ThaIland and the West result not from inherent differences in theology or morality, but rather from the simple fact that they are at different points in their respective evolutions. 

The Catholic Church struggled with the problem of "indulgences" acquired (and bought) to absolve sin throughout the Middle Ages -- and really only banished the practice in the 20th century.  

Thailand's transition, having begun late in the world's Industrial Age and continuing throughout the Information Age, has been much, much shorter. It's no surprise then that many institutions in Thailand are under stress as the old ways that once worked give way to new ways that are not yet developed, accepted, and understood. 

In other words - third world.

The way some of the temples and monks behave and their involvment in illegal acts, maybe those seeking their protection should be given another option.

A choice between a temple or the police force, both groups seem to have about the same mindset toward lawbreakers, unless they get part of the action.

I guess the old jail or military service is a choice of the past, that usually put the want to be tough boys in their proper place quite quickly.

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Reminds me of when I'm at school and a kid does something naughty. Let's say the kid is running in the hallway and bumps into a teacher. The kid is usually called back and is made to wye the teacher and say sorry. Once the kid is round the corner he's running again. When a kid bumps into me, he does the crappy quick half wye thinking that he's been absolved. Sometimes I'll make him wait in my class 5 mins so he's late for his next class. Sometimes I'll just make him or her stand there for 5 mins, etc. Point is - with me there are consequences for your actions. Kids don't try it on. With the Thai teachers they're often simply allowed to wye or they're also beaten with a stick. Very lazy and zero consistency. 

You're a teacher in a Thai school and you spell wai as wye? Jeez.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Wouldn't be grand if you can do that every time you run foul with the law of the land,

foreigners too, I don't think that there's another country on this god given earth where

you can sin and by joining a sect or a cult, all is forgiven....

How about "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned." Not so different.

15 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I have little/no respect for religion generally, but Buddhism Is regarded as more of a 'philosophy of life' than a religion, fine point perhaps? It Is not mainstream religion.

Be that as It may, the Institution Is struggling for credibility when It permits this to happen.

offers  the rebirth  nonsense

2 hours ago, sandemara said:

Phra Nott's entering the monkhood is not necessarily a simple publicity stunt.  Monks have few (or no) possessions; they aren't allowed to even touch money, let alone possess cash or assets.  This devout act of joining a monastery might have implications for any legal actions for compensation taken by his assault victim.  Can the  victim get blood out of a stone?

So I suppose the monks that I always, always saw walking around Pantip Plaza, with a special interest in Apple computers, were simply hoping for a donation of an iPad or two from the store?

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Reminds me of when I'm at school and a kid does something naughty. Let's say the kid is running in the hallway and bumps into a teacher. The kid is usually called back and is made to wye the teacher and say sorry. Once the kid is round the corner he's running again. When a kid bumps into me, he does the crappy quick half wye thinking that he's been absolved. Sometimes I'll make him wait in my class 5 mins so he's late for his next class. Sometimes I'll just make him or her stand there for 5 mins, etc. Point is - with me there are consequences for your actions. Kids don't try it on. With the Thai teachers they're often simply allowed to wye or they're also beaten with a stick. Very lazy and zero consistency. 

'beaten with a stick'.....? If any teacher beat my daughter (yes, in a Thai high school) I'd be straight up to the school to beat him (ya OK maybe a verbal 'beating' if it's a female).  And hey Kuhn Kruh, maybe YOU were in the way? Why make the kid's life harder by 'I'll make him wait in my class 5 mins so he's late for his next class.'? You get a thrill out of your pathetic power game?  'Kids run, maybe you should be more aware of them and make allowances for their spontaneity instead of acting like an authoritarian bully.  And I AM a high school teacher of 30+ years experience.

I'm sure his parents are so proud of their son who grew up to be such an honourable person!!
If I was the head monk I'd welcome him in with open arms, send his parents home with a smile on their faces, let him post the ceremonial pic's on all his favourite social sites....
then behind closed doors make the little s**t  kowtow  down to me & kiss my arse!!

sandemara wrote: "they aren't allowed to even touch money, let alone possess cash or assets."

:partytime2: That is correct according to Buddhist principles, But Some monks possess more cash than most in this forum will ever lay hands on during a lifetime.

Edited by Dario

44 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

'beaten with a stick'.....? If any teacher beat my daughter (yes, in a Thai high school) I'd be straight up to the school to beat him (ya OK maybe a verbal 'beating' if it's a female).  And hey Kuhn Kruh, maybe YOU were in the way? Why make the kid's life harder by 'I'll make him wait in my class 5 mins so he's late for his next class.'? You get a thrill out of your pathetic power game?  'Kids run, maybe you should be more aware of them and make allowances for their spontaneity instead of acting like an authoritarian bully.  And I AM a high school teacher of 30+ years experience.

What you proclaim you'd do to the Thai teachers of your daughter is of no concern to me. 

As for the comments about me being in the way......em, how? It's a hallway. It's made for walking and not running. Running isn't banned as a form of a power trip but as a measure of safety. See, if a kid runs, he or she might fall over. Not just injuring themself, but they may also injure someone else. I think a no running in the hallway policy is a pretty common sense one that's pretty much applied in any school around the world. 

Now I'll explain why I hold them back 5 mins. If a kid is late for class, their teacher will ask why they're late. They could simply lie and say I held them back for no reason. Their teacher will ask me and I'll explain what happened. Kid gets in even more trouble. So, the kid tells the truth and his next teacher says "don't run in the hallway". I know exactly which kids listen to me when I tell them not to run. They can be on their way, but if I see them running again they'll be held back. I also know exactly the kind of kids who will start running again when around the corner. All of this is done as a form of leaning. Running in hallways is dangerous and don't do it. Fairly simple.

In your silly rant, were you imagining me walking into the middle of a busy playground and then going nuts that some kid had run into me? Could you really not contextualise the situation I was referring to?