Buying a car as a tourist

Bob1million

You may want to ask him where he plans to park it when he's not in country if he stays at hotels.

OTOH, for the percentage of time he's in Thailand, renting a furnished condo or house is probably cheaper and more convenient because he doesn't have to schlep his stuff back and forth.  Make sure any place he rents includes a parking space.  Not all buildings have enough parking spaces for everyone, so parking spots may not be included with the unit- even if there is a parking garage.

Got an idea I have seen  long time agoe  mobile parking lot explain it was a mobile car hauler trailer parked solidly to the ground and activated with 12v batery in ordr to lift car to top deck could be good for long terme parking.

it might be cheaper to hire but not as convenient .having organised said hire car from  Aus only to find  on arrival it was a bomb or in one case not even there. i bought my own car, that was 3 years ago  ,biggest problem is where to leave it when i return to Aus.

8 hours ago, claffey said:

The term 'Third world' is outdated and a relic of the Cold War era. Countries without enough food or basic utilities, I suppose, could be considered 'third world' if you would like to use those terms. Last time I looked around me in Thailand there's no lack of food or shelter. Everyone has the latest phone and there are millions of cars in the country too. All bought on credit of course but that's another issue.Which paradise do you hail from? 

I believe that yes you could borrow a book in those libraries with the correct identification. 

I don't know about that guy but I am from one of the best country in the world, Canada, and there are no ways I would trade my country for any other in the world.  I like Thailand but 5-6 months a year is enough for me, I just want to get away from the snow and the cold winter, come mid-April I am ready to go home. 

5 hours ago, Gerard052 said:

I don't know about that guy but I am from one of the best country in the world, Canada, and there are no ways I would trade my country for any other in the world.  I like Thailand but 5-6 months a year is enough for me, I just want to get away from the snow and the cold winter, come mid-April I am ready to go home. 

Yeah Canada would be alright if there wasn't so many Canadians living there.

13 hours ago, agrow said:

it might be cheaper to hire but not as convenient .having organised said hire car from  Aus only to find  on arrival it was a bomb or in one case not even there. i bought my own car, that was 3 years ago  ,biggest problem is where to leave it when i return to Aus.

renting for 9 months of the year is a big chunk of coin, better to buy and have a salable asset.

On 11/30/2016 at 2:03 PM, impulse said:

You may want to ask him where he plans to park it when he's not in country if he stays at hotels.

OTOH, for the percentage of time he's in Thailand, renting a furnished condo or house is probably cheaper and more convenient because he doesn't have to schlep his stuff back and forth.  Make sure any place he rents includes a parking space.  Not all buildings have enough parking spaces for everyone, so parking spots may not be included with the unit- even if there is a parking garage.

park it at the airport, monthly parking is cheap.

parking.jpg

'Certificate of Residency' can be obtained from the Australian embassy and is valid for 30 days.  The only requirement is that you pay a fee.

The Australian embassy has a laminated template of the form (pink form) which you can use when filling out your own copy.

Just now, Stray said:

'Certificate of Residency' can be obtained from the Australian embassy and is valid for 30 days.  The only requirement is that you pay a fee.

The Australian embassy has a laminated template of the form (pink form) which you can use when filling out your own copy.

You get a statutory declaration from Australian embassy, declaring you live at a certain address. Certificate of residency is from immigration.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You get a statutory declaration from Australian embassy, declaring you live at a certain address. Certificate of residency is from immigration.

My error.  Yes, you are correct.  Basing my response on stevenl's post (and acknowledging the fact that the OP was discussing a tourist), I put the term 'Certificate of Residency' within apostrophes as a 'true' Certificate of Residency would be rather difficult for a tourist to obtain.

The statutory declaration, which you obtain from the Australian embassy, has been satisfactory as 'proof of address' for me in obtaining driver's licences and the purchasing of vehicles, in my own name, within Thailand.

Archived