Yamaha Aerox 155cc Launch

freedomnow

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Wish they made the Aerox in 250cc all the bigger cc scooters get so large, the size of my aerox is acceptable. 

The sell a few variator kits  and lighter roller weights to make the Aerox go faster, pretty cheap, im thinking about getting one when I have time to tinker 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Racing-type-Variator-for-Yamaha-AEROX-155-Nmax-125-155-scooter-4T-4-stroke/332540947066?epid=2278788644

https://m.facebook.com/commerce/products/1256951437749182/

Looks interesting..... 

Edited by speedtripler

18 hours ago, speedtripler said:

The sell a few variator kits  and lighter roller weights to make the Aerox go faster, pretty cheap, im thinking about getting one when I have time to tinker 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Racing-type-Variator-for-Yamaha-AEROX-155-Nmax-125-155-scooter-4T-4-stroke/332540947066?epid=2278788644

https://m.facebook.com/commerce/products/1256951437749182/

Looks interesting..... 

What i read and I am not technical at all so i could be totally wrong. That these variator kits only change top speed for torque and vice versa. Real upgrades are not possible unless you make your 155cc 200cc or something like that (not that that is easy or doable). 

• Like 1

I also think variators alone are not going to change top speed, they effect torque and acceleration, but the increase in diameter of the plates might be a factor.

The other thing is, are the videos showing top speeds are on the flat or on a downhill slope, I can imagine your top speed could increase a bit (or a lot) if going downhill..... (although not sure how CVT behaves in this scenario, it's not a normal clutch/gear system.. !?)

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

It's all about the price, Click gives good bang for the buck.

Honda is still very popular here but okay the young Thais looks more for design now, that little bike 150cc M-Slach (or whatever its called) is very popular among young Thai men.

I wish my bike needs are as easy to satisfy as Moonlover's:smile:

Aerox is too small for me, my knees are hitting the fairing, Nmax perhaps when my 5-6 years old PCX will be changed.

Actually, the Click was my 2nd choice. I was hankering after a PCX myself, but my wife also rides and she declared that the machine was 'too big for her'. She is rather petite, so can understand her misgivings.

Although I didn't agree with her (not all PCX riders are fat falangs!) she was the one who had to sign off on the paperwork, so her will prevailed. Doesn't it always?

I'm after my own bike later this year, so I'm following this topic with keen interest.

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Actually, the Click was my 2nd choice. I was hankering after a PCX myself, but my wife also rides and she declared that the machine was 'too big for her'. She is rather petite, so can understand her misgivings.

Although I didn't agree with her (not all PCX riders are fat falangs!) she was the one who had to sign off on the paperwork, so her will prevailed. Doesn't it always?

I'm after my own bike later this year, so I'm following this topic with keen interest.

The pcx is also too big for my wife so she has a scoppy i which is crap, we had lots of small problems with it.

Hello Everyone,

I’m pleased to announce that Iˋve finally mananged to find a shop to trade in my good old Honda Airwave ( 10 years old but in very good conditions ) Got 8ks for it ?

For a Yamaha Aerox 155 R

Needless to say that there’s a huge  difference between the old and the new beast, actually I only liked the front two pistons break kaliper on the Honda although it would occasionally lock up the front tyre on hard breaking but I don’t miss the combo breaks which to my opinion are quite dangerous.

So, here I’m on what I find  a safer, quicker and definitely more comfy scooter :)

Nevertheless, I do have some queries for the ones who already own it ( Aerox R model ) At the Yamaha delear they’ve claimed that it’d clime up to 130kmh eventually which I find completely untrue as I’m struggling to reach 120kmh if it does it will probably takes ages but they issue that I’m having at high speed, it’s funny I consider 120kmh high speed Lol ( nothing like my good R1 Yamaha, which delivered proper high speeds ) I’ve tried some basic mods suggested by the Yamaha manager who spent over 20ks to prep his own scooter  but the top speed didn’t increase, it has just  smoothen out the pick up giving me more mid range torque but the top end speed remains a mistery on mine, besides I’m not prepared to modify the piston and whatever else comes with it so I keep it as it is for the time being..

However, does any of you gents who own it find it whobbling and shaking at high speed ?! I have to close the throttle to reduce it.. 

Tyre pressure is set as per specs at 29 psi front and 33 psi the rear, single rider.

Other than checking the tyre pressure not sure what else should I check ?! Please feel free to suggest/ advise me better..:)

The front forks are slightely better than any other scooter I’ve already ridden and the rear ones seem to do the job quite alright, mind you I like cornering without closing the throttle but this whobbling in a straight line is concerning..

Oh and apart from the small tank and of course they don’t have a user manual in English language I’m quite happy with it, I smoke everyone from the red light standing behind, as I used to do with my Airblade but then they would eventually smoke me Lol it’s good fun but very dangerous in Bkk especially filtering through traffic this is not because it’s too wide, it’s more to do that the drivers, car drivers, Buses, Taxis, oh the taxis ??‍♂️ and whoever else on the road can’t seem to be able to either drive in a straight line or stay in the lane for awhile, terrible drivers to put it lightly !

Thank you everyone in advance for your input, have a good day and stage out of troubles on the roads ??‍♂️

Edited by Ramdas
Grammar errors

I can get 121 on my ABS version please note it can take about 40-43 seconds of full throttle to go from 110-121 which is quite hard to achieve on BKK roads as something will make you slow down normally.  And yeah, I find the cars and buses frustrating too here , they like to cut into your lane , then you go to the other lane to go ahead  and 5 seconds later  they cut back in. Especially the big buses I find love doing it (it doesn't save them any time doing it yet love doing it ) and the most annoying thing is taxis suddenly stopping in the middle lane near enough and literally making no effort to go far left or by the curb to look for / pick up/ drop off passangers . And I get the same feeling when driving very high speeds with the wobble. With things affecting the max speed and a couple of these things also may factor in the wobble Id guess it's to do with current windspeed levels in BKK,  rider body weight, how much stuff you have put in the bike under the seat, how much fuel you have in the tank . I'm no expert, but that's what I thought to be the reasons.

Edited by hello55060
  • Like 1

Indeed, the Bus Drivers and the Taxis are the worst ! Absolutely useless, I wonder why it seems an habit worldwide for slower drivers to stay on the right lane but over here they drive all over the place so I reckon it’s  worse.  Apart from  all sorts of obstacles on the roads which prevent me from holding the throttle fully open for as long as it takes to reach top end speed at the highest rpm the wind is another factor so I lay low to reduce the wobbling but it shouldn’t really do it, should It ?  Hopefully one day I see the top speed eventually..

Cheers !

49 minutes ago, hello55060 said:

I can get 121 on my ABS version please note it can take about 40-43 seconds of full throttle to go from 110-121 which is quite hard to achieve on BKK roads as something will make you slow down normally.  And yeah, I find the cars and buses frustrating too here , they like to cut into your lane , then you go to the other lane to go ahead  and 5 seconds later  they cut back in. Especially the big buses I find love doing it (it doesn't save them any time doing it yet love doing it ) and the most annoying thing is taxis suddenly stopping in the middle lane near enough and literally making no effort to go far left or by the curb to pick up/ drop off passangers . And I get the same feeling when driving very high speeds with the wobble. With things affecting the max speed and a couple of these things also may factor in the wobble Id guess it's to do with current windspeed levels in BKK  and possibly rider body weight, how much stuff you have put in the bike under the seat, how much fuel you have in the tank . I'm no expert, but that's what I thought to be the reasons.

Edited by Ramdas

Not a wise idea to go at the speeds you two are talking about, it is dangerous enough without driving way beyond the speed limit.

Most bike crashes I see are mainly to do with riding to fast and not having enough reaction time to avoid a collision.

Just my two bobs worth sorry to be a spoiler.

• Like 1

Accidents happen because they’re useless at driving/riding in Bkk, no idea about looking into the mirrors and or defensive driving no to mention keeping the distance from each other, thanks for the head up  but I wouldn’t want break my 0 accidents record after driving and riding supersport bikes at 300kph plus my entire life  ..I just want to use it at it’s full potential without wobbling naturally..

Edited by Ramdas

Top speed I managed to see was 105km/ph on the Chiang Mai super highway with 125kg on board but I also don't like looking at the speedo at that speed. It was really smooth at that speed but if the road is rubbish it feels like it has a flat tire plus the wind from the Yamaha helmet that came with the bike is terrible.

The only other time it scared the shit out of me was when there was water on one of the moat U turns and accelerating fast out of the turn on the water had the back wheel loose traction and slide out but decelerating fixed it without incident. Only time I ever crashed years ago was coming down from Doi Suthep at the first hairpin turn (the one with all the broken mirror class 555).

Got in to a bit of a drag race from Maya along Huay Kaew rd last night, skinny thai on a Mio, Big Bike and me, from a late start kept up with the mio but when the big bike needed to break the back wheels were wobbling badly while I am still yet to lock up Aerox Standard breaks not through lack of trying

Well, how could you possibly ride the Aerox like a granny having her veggie shopping goods and God knows whatever else on the bike ? The acceleration is very tempting :) I’ve now nearly reached 1000 kms on my Aerox ( it’s been almost a month and still without the number plate and the green book, jeeez nearly everything in Thailand is slow or extremely slow ? )

Apart from it,  I’ve  started to feddle with it in order to get a bit more power out of it from day 2 I had it..There’s no point to replace the variator and the small wheels that come with it ( if you do replace it, including the little weight wheels, there are 6 if I remember correctly ) You will just reduce some weight and perhaps just increase the mid range ( very slightly ) It won’t give you any increase of top end speed ( mind you I haven’t seen 120kph yet ? 

So, in the end I went back to the dealer and asked him to put the original yam Variator back on but left the lighter weight balancing wheels in, I’m starting to accept it the way it is while focusing on corner speed, without closing the throttle ?  I can’t wait to replace the tyres which it’s come with though..I’m afraid there is not a chance to do either a burn out and definitely no torquey enough to do wheelies ☹️

Ps: I love how stable it is in two without losing power 

PPS: please feel free to contact me if any of you would like to meet up in Bkk for a coffee/chat/ ride ?

Have yourselves a safe riding day wherever you may be in the country.

Edited by Ramdas
  • Like 1

I seen upgrades for the Aerox, a bore kit bringing it to 183 CC now that is a true upgrade. It was on a Malaysian site so not sure its available in Thailand.  

I believe its also Illigal but hard to see from the outside.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

Im always looking for mods and unfortunately for me the best place is clearly BKK. Chiang mai just does not have enough English for me to navigate the scene but if you buy the parts I'm sure you can walk into a moto shop and have them install pretty cheap. A 1600b fork kit would be nice...

Wind shield or a Ohlins suspension will be nice but I can not justify 17,450b, better to leave it just like Thai beds, hard! It only really annoys me at 85km/hr+ where my head almost vibrates on old bumpy roads. Super highway just opened some brand new road and its a dream going fast of that stuff 555.

Where it really shines is overtaking and getting in front, its safer to merge when you have to worry about what is in front than what is behind (very often nothing :whistling:) getting to speed in seconds then cruising down to the speed limit. My gf took a trip to Europe and the Eco gauge has been going up and up from 33.8 to 35km/L and rising, not a dramatic difference for -44kg 

Edited by jbob
  • Like 1

Thanks for the upgrade infos, I will have to find out where it can be done in Bkk, it’s not going to be easy to explain it to any Thais who know hardly any English language though ?

In the meantime, I’m going to have the fork Oil replaced with a higher grade hopefully it diminish the wobbling but most importantly they won’t go right down under braking or when hitting a pothole or a higher hump and any other cracks on the roads ??‍♂️

2 hours ago, Ramdas said:

Thanks for the upgrade infos, I will have to find out where it can be done in Bkk, it’s not going to be easy to explain it to any Thais who know hardly any English language though ?

In the meantime, I’m going to have the fork Oil replaced with a higher grade hopefully it diminish the wobbling but most importantly they won’t go right down under braking or when hitting a pothole or a higher hump and any other cracks on the roads ??‍♂️

I watched this video last night and if I can find the pieces and find a shop I will totally do it.

• Like 1

Yeah I know this guy, I’ve seen some of his videos, it makes me fall asleep Lol

As for the forks, I’m undecided whether to try the cheaper option which is  just replacing the Oil ( 300฿ ) at the Yamaha dealer suggested by the manager or go to that Set by Sar shop to have the forks fitted with that rebound/compression kit plus Oil ? it might be a better option humm

Neveertheless, if he wants to get the full potential of the bike and have some fun his body position on the scooter in the bends needs improving, look at his tyre wear pattern, lean low and hang over boy ?

Cheers !

Edited by Ramdas

Well done on the Aerox buy, no need abs and other nonsense remote key, enjoy it and if you’re in Bkk always look for blind spots, they come from every direction without looking ! ??‍♂️

I’m always looking for twistes, I’m just enjoying the bendy exits for the time being but there’s always some <deleted> in the way ? hard to filter through ! 

I’m gonna get the forks done next ?

@Ramdas

After 25 years of biking in BKK (and 15 years in central london before that) on 400's 600's 750's 800's and 1000cc bikes along with the trusty Nouvo I can tell you that after the move down south I believe BKK is a lot safer. The main reason for getting the Aerox was because I was finding almost every outing on either of my big bikes was producing heart stopping moments, sure the 4 pot brembos, big rubber and premium suspension ensured I did not come to grief but not much fun having to be hyper vigilant on what should be safe high speed roads.  Much prefer the drivers in Chiang Rai and Nan province who seem to be some of the best in Thailand, down south they seem to be totally oblivious.

For me the Nouvo is almost the perfect small bike and have regularly been doing 60-80km round trips 2 up however the missus won't give me the Nouvo back as a daily drive so the Aerox looks like the next best thing.

BTW. What are you planning for the forks, valve kit, springs or full replacement?

• Like 1

@ PhiPhi

I hear what you’re saying, after having spent nearly all my life on bikes ( my first real bike was a Yamaha Enduro 500xt ) Changing and upgrading bikes every two years whilst living in London plus track days and several European trips under my belt.

Mind you, it was a real relief being away for a min of two week from  London ( I gained health every time ? I was away from it all, worst part was going back ? ) I would like to keep my 0 accident record intact but here in Bkk they come from every way they can without even looking.. Although there may not be speed cameras in Bkk and you don’t get chased and harassed constantly by the police with the helicopter over your head and on the roads as in the Uk, I still find it very dangerous to ride a motorcycle or a scooter for that matter on Bkk roads, it can happen at any moment if you don’t roll your eyes scanning the road scene.

As for the forks, as I’ve mentioned in my previous post, I’m going to replace the fork’s oil at the Yamaha dealer for as little as 300฿ to start with since they go all the way down under breaking and when you can’t avoid a pothole,  just to stiffen them up a bit if it doesn’t do justice then I’m going to that SetbySar guy’s shop in Lat Phrao to upgrade them with a valve kit rebound/compression  fitted on top of them. It’s supposed to be 1.600฿ For the whole job, my only concern is the lack of communication or lost in translation ?

Cheers !

On 3/15/2018 at 8:58 AM, PhiPhi said:

Just brought the standard 2018 Aerox 155 bright yellow

Congrats on what my girlfriend calls the Pikachu bike 555. I got the other standard black and red because in Chiang Mai there are not so many Aerox (unlike Pattaya where I counted 7 blue ones walking to breakfast) making it far more subtle, plus the color panel are easy to swap out to carbon fiber or custom but the matte black parts do get dirty after a couple of weeks. 

5aab6b1d8acc4_blueaerox.jpg.ae85337eefec391f34c4cec36654ad44.jpg

Got my 1000km service coming up soon and will ask them about oil, want a smoother ride as at speed it shakes so much at times my hands almost come off the handle bars unless I grab them, which I dont want to do because I like both hands on the breaks as well. After reading comment on doing turns at high speed have been trying it out and am impressed. Crashed my old Airblade turning down doi suthep at about 40km/h because it lost traction and thus slow right down to <20km/h most of the time, good to know I dont have to

• Like 2

i have one of these and its great 

accelerates fast enough to pass  other traffic easily  and stops very well  on the stock tires 

probably the best value  scoot you can buy atm

does anyone know if the front headlight has any screws or anything to adjust the beam  trajectory ?

mine does not shine as far as the old nouvo elegance when compared side by side 

not sure if it just needs adjusting or maybe i can  upgrade to make it brighter etc

8 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

i have one of these and its great 

accelerates fast enough to pass  other traffic easily  and stops very well  on the stock tires 

probably the best value  scoot you can buy atm

does anyone know if the front headlight has any screws or anything to adjust the beam  trajectory ?

mine does not shine as far as the old nouvo elegance when compared side by side 

not sure if it just needs adjusting or maybe i can  upgrade to make it brighter etc

FYI, there’s an adjustable light bolt just under the lights ( make sure you turn the correct one ! ) I lift my lights a little higher but not high enough to blind car drivers, it’s way better now though. Give it a go and adjust it as you like ?

• Thanks 1

Well after a week with the Aerox I am still very a very happy chappie. Low speed agility is great and in high (ish) speed cornering it is very sure footed helped I'm sure by those big tires.

Power is deceptive because the delivery is so smooth but top end is disappointing and just weird, on the crest of a hill my indicated speed was 109 kph at full throttle during the decent over about 300m the indicated speed was 109 kph, I've never experienced that before and can't begin to expain it ????  The power is great then goes off a cliff edge which might suggest that it's engineered in.

I found it less sure footed on hardpack/gravel backroads than the Nouvo due to the smaller diameter wider wheels which were prone to lateral slippage and less sure footed.

Front brake is very good but yet to try a 100 to 0 emergency stop, the rear brake is a mixed bag, in dry conditions I can't lock it up but it does seem to provide a hefty assist in conjunction with the front brake which is probably just right for a majority of riders.

The aftermarket shopping bag hook from Yamaha seems to be an afterthought, mine does not sit flush with the plastics and will move off center if the retaining bracket is fully tightened, it's not really a problem but lazy engineering from Yamaha.

Fuel consumption showing an average of 30km per liter for mixed riding, slow and considerate in town and wide open on the highways.

Anybody found a good looking topbox option for the Aerox?

@Ramdas Please let us know how you get on with your fork mods

@jbob The high speed shake does not sound right mine is solid as a rock at 110 kph or are you talking about engine vibration but even then I haven't noticed any excessive vibes?

1 hour ago, PhiPhi said:

Fuel consumption showing an average of 30km per liter for mixed riding, slow and considerate in town and wide open on the highways.

On 15.03.2018 at 8:58 AM, PhiPhi said:

I use the full power from day one running in method ;)  

Even not funny. Even not full lover its near 25km per liter(4l per 100km) on NMax. And sure its near same on Aerox...:)

1 hour ago, ardokano said:

Even not funny. Even not full lover its near 25km per liter(4l per 100km) on NMax. And sure its near same on Aerox...:)

Fuel consumption is mostly based on how you ride it to be honest 

I grabbed managed to get it down to 22km/L  riding like I was in a moto GP and as high as 51.6km/L  cruising like an old granddad and coasting to the lights without using any brakes 

Average is about 28 and most of that is flat out  using the throttle like an on/off button  :)  

On 14/03/2018 at 1:20 PM, jbob said:

Im always looking for mods and unfortunately for me the best place is clearly BKK. Chiang mai just does not have enough English for me to navigate the scene but if you buy the parts I'm sure you can walk into a moto shop and have them install pretty cheap. A 1600b fork kit would be nice...

Wind shield or a Ohlins suspension will be nice but I can not justify 17,450b, better to leave it just like Thai beds, hard! It only really annoys me at 85km/hr+ where my head almost vibrates on old bumpy roads. Super highway just opened some brand new road and its a dream going fast of that stuff 555.

Where it really shines is overtaking and getting in front, its safer to merge when you have to worry about what is in front than what is behind (very often nothing :whistling:) getting to speed in seconds then cruising down to the speed limit. My gf took a trip to Europe and the Eco gauge has been going up and up from 33.8 to 35km/L and rising, not a dramatic difference for -44kg 

Reset it and ride a bit slower.... :)