Is it Thai etiquette for the farang to pay for everyones dinner?

cheapskatesam

2 hours ago, Ahab said:

Only if you live to 120-170 years of age would that even remotely be considered middle age.

Old data, old thinking ,but feel free to consider yourself old at any age you choose. The new data, based on changing health and ageing patterns cites 65 as the new middle age rather than 50. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Old data, old thinking ,but feel free to consider yourself old at any age you choose. The new data, based on changing health and ageing patterns cites 65 as the new middle age rather than 50. 

The politicians would love that, and could stop paying pension to any that survive till too decrepit to enjoy retirement. Of course they ensure that they get a wonderful pension.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The politicians would love that, and could stop paying pension to any that survive till too decrepit to enjoy retirement. Of course they ensure that they get a wonderful pension.

What they would really love is if pensions were based upon how the guys look because guys on here routinely say that e.g. I'm 60 but I look 50.

9 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

I used to think 40 was middle aged ... I'm 36 and feel like I need to move those goalposts ...

40 is middle age. 80-90 years on this planet is a good long life. I an 53 years old and still feel like I am middle aged, but many life insurance companies would likely disagree. It is highly unlikely I will make it until 103 years old, possible yes, likely not so much.

I read this hoping to learn something as this occurred to me with one woman and her gf/roommate.  2 nd time i bailed n her at the restaurant after I paid. Let her drive off and I walked to my hotel.  Do miss her super hot body and innocence.  

I am severely disappointed in many of you guys.  I guess this topic depends on who you are or dine with.    

Perhaps middle age has been extended with the blue or Orange pill?  But at 56 I'm middle middle age.   

Edited by Elkski
Blue pill

On 12/1/2016 at 6:15 PM, cheapskatesam said:

Haha nice one.. I've never done it but i've bailed out before getting stung majorly..

I once arranged to meet a girl .. i waited outside the BTS station for ages (she was late) and she turned up unexpectedly with a friend.. She also looked worse than she did in the photos.. Anyway i was pissed off and she suggested "we go kho san road for party".. i couldn't bring myself to tell them to bugger off so i just went with the flow. We got into a taxi and drove to Khoa San road in silence.. i had my suspicions that they were just playing me for a night of free drinks and they were confirmed when the taxi man came to a stop and the were no hand motions from the two girls to reach into their bags and pay the fare.. So i paid..

We were walking through a busy outdoors night market area full of people so i hung back and waited until they were both in front of me and i just casually changed direction and jogged off 

Were you expecting a night of boom boom.    

On 02/12/2016 at 11:42 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Thai "culture" as defined by my wife always involved me paying for everything. I went along with it for the first years of our life together, as she worked long hours for sod all ( like most Thais ) and it was just us, but when it started to encompass paying for her family, I made it clear that wasn't going to happen, and the end came suddenly, in every way, for our marriage.

I still don't know if she just got tired of being married to me or if it was a long con, but same result either way.

I'm just really happy we didn't have an atm anchor ( baby ).

Many likes for this answer...I guess true experiences never lie... and it happen to many of us.
Me too my friend ! and she even don't let me see our 3 years old daugther. ( but we were not married, make it more complicated)

On 12/2/2016 at 2:51 PM, YeahSiam said:

Sweeping generalisation.

It depends very much on the class of Thai you're hanging out with.

If you're cheek by jowl with peasants, you'll encounter this type of behaviour far more regularly than if you rub shoulders with better-off Thais.

Sounds like YOU were hanging around with Peasants in your post.

• 1 month later...

When my wife and I come from America to visit her family I always pay for our times out no matter who joins us and glad to do so. Why is this such a big issue for some of you? These people have very little compared to us (well apparently some of us) and it just isn't a big deal and my wife loves me for it. I took 8 people out to a village buffet last night and showed them all a good time for under $30 US. If you're living here on the financial edge that's one thing, but otherwise why wouldn't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

13 minutes ago, Dale59 said:

When my wife and I come from America to visit her family I always pay for our times out no matter who joins us and glad to do so. Why is this such a big issue for some of you? These people have very little compared to us (well apparently some of us) and it just isn't a big deal and my wife loves me for it. I took 8 people out to a village buffet last night and showed them all a good time for under $30 US. If you're living here on the financial edge that's one thing, but otherwise why wouldn't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Its an expat forum not a holiday makers forum.. there certainly is a difference of income. Also people worry less about money and spend more on a holiday than in day to day living. So your example is totally wrong. 

Also spending 30$ is nothing but if its repeated the whole year through every time instead of in a short holiday setting its something totally different. 

I guess common sense is not so common.

If I want to pay for people (happens often) its me who decides, i wont let it be forced upon me. 

In a bar a couple of months ago, staffed mostly by ladyboys and a couple of gay guys, I must have dropped 10k that night. And this wasn't even a bar that sis the whole 'lady drinks' or 'bar fines'. 

Mind you I did openly offer to shout the bar, because it was dead quiet. So I opened the floodgates for future drinks foe all

And I think 5k of that was gambling losses on Connect 4.

Personally I have no problem shouting my lady friend's friend a meal if she is hungry, but I would be pissed off if it was assumed as the norm. 

7 minutes ago, JaySonic said:

In a bar a couple of months ago, staffed mostly by ladyboys and a couple of gay guys, I must have dropped 10k that night. And this wasn't even a bar that sis the whole 'lady drinks' or 'bar fines'. 

Mind you I did openly offer to shout the bar, because it was dead quiet. So I opened the floodgates for future drinks foe all

And I think 5k of that was gambling losses on Connect 4.

Personally I have no problem shouting my lady friend's friend a meal if she is hungry, but I would be pissed off if it was assumed as the norm. 

Can we all be your friends?!? :clap2: