Frenchman jumps to his death in Pattaya

webfact

Frenchman jumps to his death in Pattaya

588_Pattaya.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 71-year-old French national jumped to his death last night from the sixth floor of a famous shopping centre in Pattaya.

He was later identified as Mr Claude Andre Antoine Tohrer.

Pattaya police said they were alerted of the incident at 11.30 pm just as the shopping centre was about to close.

He lied dead with his face down on the escalator of the third floor.

Eyewitnesses told police they saw the man whose face appeared to be in deep distress was climbing off the barrier on the sixth floor, amid shouting from other shoppers about to leave the shopping centre not to jump.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/french-jumps-to-his-death-in-pattaya/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-02

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drama at Central Festival as Frenchman jumps to his death

By Digital Admin -

ff.jpg

PATTAYA: -- At 11.30pm, on the evening of December 1, Pattaya police and medics were called to Central Festival, Pattaya, after a man had been seen jumping from the 6th floor landing.

The victim, seventy-one-year old French national Mr Claude Andre Antoine Tohrer, was found laying face down at the top of the escalator on the third floor.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Witnesses said that Mr Tohrer had been standing on the sixth-floor landing looking down at the mall when, without warning, he began to climb over the rail.

Passers-by tried to stop him and many were screaming at him to climb down but he immediately jumped to his death.

Investigating officers will study CCTV images in an attempt to understand events leading up to the suicide and try to establish a reason.

His body has been taken to the police morgue.

Report shared by Pattaya One News Team

Source: http://pattayaone.news/en/drama-central-festival-frenchman-jumps-death/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-12-02

There was a (locally) unreported story about an old British guy hanging from the railing in Central Festival last week. He didn't jump but was not far from it.

Maybe mall management need to get the security guys at the entrances to do some profiling of the coffin dodgers. In the meantime, I have ordered my "I am a happy farang and promise not to jump" t-shirts (in Thai) to wear when I go shopping just in case I get profiled.

Frenchman Jumps To Death At Central Festival Pattaya

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter -

IMG_2827.jpg

Patrons in front of CentralFestival Pattaya in this May 15, 2015 file photo.

PATTAYA — An elderly French national fell to his death at Pattaya’s largest shopping mall Thursday night, according to police, who ruled it a suicide.

The 71-year-old man made the plunge at about 11:30pm from the sixth floor of CentralFestival Pattaya and landed on an escalator of the second floor, according to Col. Apichai Krobphet, chief of Pattaya police.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2016/12/02/frenchman-jumps-death-central-festival-pattaya/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-12-02

2 hours ago, Summerviking said:

Yeah thats sad.   So its a real thing?  This jumping in Pattaya.."flyers club"?  Read about it....Has anyone done any research about how many jumpers there have been in last year, 5 years?  I bet its more than most cities?

Yeah. I'm sure it is. 

There was a (locally) unreported story about an old British guy hanging from the railing in Central Festival last week. He didn't jump but was not far from it.

Maybe mall management need to get the security guys at the entrances to do some profiling of the coffin dodgers. In the meantime, I have ordered my "I am a happy farang and promise not to jump" t-shirts (in Thai) to wear when I go shopping just in case I get profiled.

It's was on Channel 3 morning news last Thursday, saw it night before on Twitter, Am very surprised I couldn't find anything on TVF, normally they would be straight on it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

4 minutes ago, roo860 said:

It's was on Channel 3 morning news last Thursday, saw it night before on Twitter, Am very surprised I couldn't find anything on TVF, normally they would be straight on it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I've been saying for a long time that there's a serious news blackout in Pattaya - of bad news that is.

thailand is a crazy place. many people who come here dont want to leave, me included. easy to get sucked into believing many things that are not true here and sobering up to the truth can lead to a big downfall. wonder if there are any support groups for  expats in need in thailand. seems there are plenty who require assistance.

rip. 

for anyone thinking of doing the same surely you would be better off going to the nearest bar by the seaside. Get a bar girl buy 2 beers and ask her to stroke your leg. Watch the lovely ocean in the distance. This is a better option. 

5 minutes ago, stoneyboy said:

Inconsiderate so and so.

Sit at home with a bottle of pills and a bottle of whiskey, no one should be subjected to scraping expats off the deck because they're bored of life and usually been done up by bar whores.

your a sympathetic hard ass man yes.... Have you ever put yourself in his shoes if he is suffering from mental health issues. desperate people make desperate decisions. You might be like him one day. 

4 hours ago, Summerviking said:

I bet its more than most cities?

Well the suicide rate in Florida, which has a high population of elderly retired, is around 8 per day.

http://www.floridasuicideprevention.org/the_facts.htm

And Thailand is nowhere near as bad as South Korea in suicides generally, but especially among the elderly.

suicide rates.png

How will the witnesses feel?

Hope there were not too many.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe mall management need to get the security guys at the entrances to do some profiling of the coffin dodgers

Sorry, but completely unreal.

They are not even able to watch all entrances for those who want to take others with them (those with the belt/backpack).

Suicide a great question but a lousy answer. An ex pat support group for elders running out on life ( due to whatever circumstances ) is badly needed and needs involvement and support by all embassies . Not everyone thinks well when life seems to present an impasse.  May his soul rest in peace :( There but by the grace of god ( or goodness) we all go . 

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

thailand is a crazy place. many people who come here dont want to leave, me included. easy to get sucked into believing many things that are not true here and sobering up to the truth can lead to a big downfall. wonder if there are any support groups for  expats in need in thailand. seems there are plenty who require assistance.

and you find this somehow unique to Thailand? I always figured  denial is a sad universal human character trait