Trump talks Taiwan on the telephone China lodges complaint

rooster59

Trump talks Taiwan on the telephone China lodges complaint

606x341_351386.jpg

China’s foreign ministry has lodged an official complaint after President-elect Trump held a telephone conversation with Taiwan president Tsai Ing-wen.

The call marks a break in protocol after Washington cut ties with Taiwan in 1979.

No Amercian president has spoken to a Taiwanese leader for decades.

The US backs Beijing’s one China policy, which sees Taiwan as Chinese territory.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi spoke to reporters
“It was just a petty trick by Taiwan. It will not change the international bedrock of the One China policy. I think it will not change the One China policy that the US government has adhered to for years. The One China policy is the cornerstone and fundamental basis of the development of healthy China-US relations. Of course we hope it will mot be interfered with or damaged in any form.”

China has threatened military action if Taiwan moves towards independence.

Taiwan has diplomatic relations with 22 countries, but is not a member of the United Nations.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry statement is as follows:
“We have noticed such reports and have lodged a protest with the relevant side in the United States. I must point out, there is only one China in the world, Taiwan is an inseparable part of China, the government of People’s Republic of China is the only lawful government, and this is a truth that is recognised by the international society. The One China principle is the political basis of the China-U.S. relationship. We urge the relevant side in the US to uphold the One China policy, abide by the three Sino-US joint communiques, carefully handle the Taiwan issue to avoid unnecessary disturbances in ties.”

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-04

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trump being trump.

God help us.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/12/03/donald-trump-keeps-confirming-fears-about-his-diplomatic-skills/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_trumpdiplomacy-fix-1130am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.16d8139691ba

Donald Trump keeps confirming fears about his diplomatic skills

And for those concerned that Trump doesn't have the discipline and knowledge to deal with the intricacies and very sensitive feelings involved in foreign policy and diplomacy, Trump is yet again proving their point by creating a needless headache over a “congratulatory call.”

Lets hope Trump takes the complaint onboard just as much as the Chinese did with the International Ruling of their claim in the South China Sea :coffee1:

Edited by Caps

Liberals are unbelievable.

They make heroes of Che Guevara, Fidel Castro and Pablo Escobar. They call CEOs greedy but laud overpaid Hollywood stars. And now they side with China...

They think that the US should bow down to a Communist regime and not speak to the leaders of a true democracy.

Screw China, seriously. Taiwan is a great country, not a pariah state. 

18 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Nice to see President Elect stand up to China.

Taiwan should be recognized as a sovereign nation.

Thank You President Elect Trump.

This is what you call "standing up to China?"  Firstly, I doubt Trump even knew the repercussions of doing such a thing.  But assuming he did and is working towards some broader strategic goal (doubtful, I know), then it's nuts.  The US needs China in ways most Americans can't comprehend.  It's rather pointless to piss them off for no good reason.  

I should say that this doesn't seem like a really big deal to me.  But if it's a big deal to the Chinese....well, it's a big deal.   

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

This is what you call "standing up to China?"  Firstly, I doubt Trump even knew the repercussions of doing such a thing.  But assuming he did and is working towards some broader strategic goal (doubtful, I know), then it's nuts.  The US needs China in ways most Americans can't comprehend.  It's rather pointless to piss them off for no good reason.  

I should say that this doesn't seem like a really big deal to me.  But if it's a big deal to the Chinese....well, it's a big deal.   

So the US should bow-down to China then?

8 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

Where did I say that?  I merely said it would be silly to piss them off for no good reason.  Trump/the US has nothing to gain and a lot to lose going down this path.  Again, I really think it was just a gaffe.

18 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

China's a major business partner. The US doesn't need to bow down but work with them. Maybe time for the US to deal with realpolitik and admit China isn't an enemy.  

7 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

China's a major business partner. The US doesn't need to bow down but work with them. Maybe time for the US to deal with realpolitik and admit China isn't an enemy.  

Or maybe we should realize that this war isn't like the last ones, it's a fight for jobs and resources and food and technology.  Basically, our way of life.

Read Tsun Tsu and you'll realize that China doesn't plan to follow any rules in this war, regardless of what agreements they sign onto.

Edit:  But they'll squeal like little girls and make all kinds of threats any time we break any rules.

Edited by impulse

Firstly, this was an arranged call and not, as Trump implied with his "she called me" tweet, a call from Tsai out of the blue.

Secondly, Trump supporters might find the following piece useful for ammunition on the topic. I happen to agree with much of it, particularly the part about the media reaction:

http://michaelturton.blogspot.com.au/2016/12/trump-calls-tsai-world-commentariat-iq.html?m=1

Tsai calls Trump, World Commentariat IQ drops 50 points.

congratulations, media, you just gave China permission to go to its limit. Indeed, the Chinese initially said (WaPo):
Asked about Trump’s call during a conference on international affairs in Beijing early Saturday, China’s foreign minister, Wang Yi, called it a “small action” that “cannot change China’s standing in international society.”

The breach of protocol will “not change the One China policy that the U.S. government has supported for many years,” he said. “The One China principle is the foundation for healthy development of ­Sino-U.S. relations. We don’t wish for anything to obstruct or ruin this foundation.”
It was only later after the media sh!tstorm that they apparently realized that they had support from US media and anti-Trump folks, and that they could really run with this. Now they are doing full on diplomatic press, with ambassador summoned, etc.

However to assume that Trump is did this out of any principled support of democracy is ludicrous. Remember, Trump praises Putin and the way Putin runs Russia. It's more plausible that this was about his business interest:

The mayor of Taoyuan confirmed rumors on Wednesday that US president-elect Donald Trump was considering constructing a series of luxury hotels and resorts in the northwest Taiwanese city. 

A representative from the Trump Organization paid a visit to Taoyuan in September, expressing interest in the city's Aerotropolis, a large-scale urban development project aimed at capitalizing on Taoyuan's status as a transport hub for East Asia, Taiwan News reports.With the review process for the Aerotropolis still underway, Taoyuan's mayor referred to the subject of the meeting as mere investment speculation. Other reports indicate that Eric Trump, the president-elect's second son and executive vice president of the Trump Organization, will be coming to Taoyuan later this year to discuss the potential business opportunity.
http://shanghaiist.com/2016/11/18/trump_taiwan_expand.php

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The call marks a break in protocol after Washington cut ties with Taiwan in 1979.

Sorry to break it for you Mr Wang Yi, but it seems that the new US president want to pick up the ties with Taiwan again, rather than be terrorized by you about who they can talk to and who not.

9 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

Sorry to break it for you Mr Wang Yi, but it seems that the new US president want to pick up the ties with Taiwan again, rather than be terrorized by you about who they can talk to and who not.

Who knows the reason/s why the Trump transition team agreed to set up the phone conversation, but it's a major breach of protocol with the current Administration and not a 'good look', should of waited until after 20/01/17.

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Who knows the reason/s why the Trump transition team agreed to set up the phone conversation, but it's a major breach of protocol with the current Administration and not a 'good look', should of waited until after 20/01/17.

As long as Trump isn't inaugurated he has nothing to do with protocol, and can call anyone he wants, or do you say that US citizens can't call Taiwan citizens?

Edited by Anthony5

19 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

As long as Trump isn't inaugurated he has nothing to do with protocol, and can call anyone he wants, or do you say that US citizens can't call Taiwan citizens?

I'm sorry, but that is rubbish, Trump is not a no-name US citizen. As President Elect he breached current Administration international relations policy, should have know better or he was poorly advised. Currently somewhat a storm in a teacup, but doesn't look good for professionalism & damn sure if the shoe was on the other foot he would not be forgiving.

Edited by simple1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

the government of People’s Republic of China is the only lawful government, and this is a truth that is recognised by the international society.

China speaking about truth and lawful you have got to be kidding. And the world does business with these (I cannot say it here)

"No American president has spoken to a Taiwanese leader for decades."

What rule has he broken, he is only president-elect at this time, inauguration is on the 20th January 2017? That's when he officially takes office as POTUS, let them whinge then.  It's about time China, despite being a major trading partner, pulled it's head in, they're not the be all, end all, despite them thinking so.  :wai:

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

No, that is not how it works. There is a way of doing things and one of them is to work within the  established protocols set up and structured  since the day Nixon established  diplomatic ties with the Chinese. President Bush the elder put the framework in place when he was the head of the US delegation to China.

I know it is trendy to  dismiss the work of career diplomats and people who understand the Chinese . However, the  US policy on China is the result of long standing  Republican positions that date back to a period when there were  honourable people in the party, and these people know what the situation is with China.

Taiwan is not a legal country. It never was. It is unfortunate that you  have no knowledge of the history of China and of Taiwan. 

18 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

No, that is not how it works. There is a way of doing things and one of them is to work within the  established protocols set up and structured  since the day Nixon established  diplomatic ties with the Chinese. President Bush the elder put the framework in place when he was the head of the US delegation to China.

I know it is trendy to  dismiss the work of career diplomats and people who understand the Chinese . However, the  US policy on China is the result of long standing  Republican positions that date back to a period when there were  honourable people in the party, and these people know what the situation is with China.

Taiwan is not a legal country. It never was. It is unfortunate that you  have no knowledge of the history of China and of Taiwan. 

Taiwan is not a legal country according to whose definition?  I suppose by your standards, the United States is not a legal country.  Let us all hope that "the way of doing things" in today's world changes to allow for common sense and freedom for those who want it. This is More PC B.S. we can do without. There are many "long standing" traditions, positions and other definitions for imposing one's will on people who wish it were otherwise.......consider slavery in America, the many years of criminal dictatorships in North Korea, Iran, Burma/Myanmar,  Syria, and other places in the world.    I pray the Trump presidency will produce true change in the way people are treated everywhere, not just in America.  It is time America stood up for freedom for everyone instead of politics as usual where the State Department picks who should win and who loses.

It will not change the international bedrock of the One China policy. I think it will not change the One China policy that the US government has adhered to for years. The One China policy is the cornerstone 

... I'm sorry, what policy was that again?

4 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Liberals are unbelievable.

They make heroes of Che Guevara, Fidel Castro and Pablo Escobar. They call CEOs greedy but laud overpaid Hollywood stars. And now they side with China...

They think that the US should bow down to a Communist regime and not speak to the leaders of a true democracy.

Screw China, seriously. Taiwan is a great country, not a pariah state. 

Might want to deal with facts, not ignore the previous agreements adhered to since 1979? Gee, would that not include conservative government administrations in the US? Signed, a half-way knowledgable liberal (I cannot deny the internationally accepted dictionary confirms my proud liberal leaning).

57 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Agreed, as a student of history, this, "tell it like it is", "shoot from the hip" style is going to be interesting to watch. Not my choice as President-Elect, nor that of a majority of eligible citizens. Just happy to be an American Expat and watching from a distance.

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Absolutely spot-on and as an earlier contributor mentioned this is called 'realpolitik'.  'Trumpettes' please look it up if you don't understand what this actually means - it's to do with the REAL world and what is acceptable or 'do-able' in the real world most of us actually inhabit, thus ensuring all of our future prosperity and security.