West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

The only one left after the rest turned them down.

Should have stuck with Sam.

At least they knew they would be going into the new stadium as a Premiership club.

This is a gamble.

Looked to me that Sam had lost his appetite for it the second half of the season. I don't know that I would have wagered his keeping the Hammers up next year. Course that doesn't mean anyone else will either.

True but after promises of exciting new manager I don't think an untried Bilic fits the bill.

You never know he might come good.

Looks like Bielsa had a chance. Now he would have been exciting. He's nuts, but never a dull moment.thumbsup.gif

True but after promises of exciting new manager I don't think an untried Bilic fits the bill.

You never know he might come good.

Looks like Bielsa had a chance. Now he would have been exciting. He's nuts, but never a dull moment.thumbsup.gif

Bielsa is a better coach than Bilic but then again Bilic has a love of the club and will bring genuine passion to the job.

I think its a good appointment.

Must check the price on them getting relegated.

Got to be worth a punt.

biggrin.png

Whatever the bookies are offering i will give you an additional 5 points.

cobber he is p#ssed 24/7, and always looking for a fight

the hammers have very good owners,and are underestimated by many tabaloids , pundits etc etc

big sam has done a great job, but its time to move on

the second half of the season fell away ,largely due to the circumstances surrounding big sams impending departure

the hammers have a very nice balanced squad, with a tweak here and there, a top ten finish is not beyond any realms of a possibilty, what so ever

a lovely evening to all my supporterssmile.png

Got to be worth a punt.

biggrin.png

the hammers have very good owners,and are underestimated by many tabaloids , pundits etc etc

the second half of the season fell away ,largely due to the circumstances surrounding big sams impending departure

the hammers have a very nice balanced squad, with a tweak here and there, a top ten finish is not beyond any realms of a possibilty, what so ever

Chav cousin love in...sweet!

Got to be worth a punt.

biggrin.png

Chav cousin love in...sweet!

I don't know what he's on about, I blocked him weeks ago.

Silly PishPhlaps.

biggrin.png

I know that on the face of it to an outsider, Allardyce going looks like a mistake. But honestly the last few seasons have been so hard to watch and we have wasted so many points. I'm glad it's over and I was relatively supportive of him.

As for Bilic, I was in Australia when he played for us so don't have particular memories of him except for making Laurent Blanc miss the world cup final. I think the crowd will support him from the off, which Allardyce never had.

I know that on the face of it to an outsider, Allardyce going looks like a mistake. But honestly the last few seasons have been so hard to watch and we have wasted so many points. I'm glad it's over and I was relatively supportive of him.

As for Bilic, I was in Australia when he played for us so don't have particular memories of him except for making Laurent Blanc miss the world cup final. I think the crowd will support him from the off, which Allardyce never had.

Yeah but watch them turn on him when things go bad.

big sam gone,, think bolton blackburn newcastle all relegated not long after he left or sacked

a new large stadium no guarantees its gonna be anything but atmosphere less

and now the Europa league http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32889068

relegation for sure

thinking what they did are doing to orient couldn't happen to a nicer more deserving club

Edited by DaveE13

Met Bilic when he played for us. A good guy. Lets see how he gets on this season. got to be better to watch then the last few years.

Think Sam did ok done all that was asked of him.

West Ham: David Gold says Hammers 'will fill Olympic Stadium'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33169500

He failed to say how many free tickets he is going to give away to kids biggrin.png

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/19/olympic-stadium-cost-rises-west-ham

Of course. Most will be away team fans and neutrals deserate to see a Prem game! Always good to have a stadium where you can actually get in to Prem football. I used to use Wigan when my UK base was Leeds; now Im based in Cambridge maybe I can see a few games at the Olympic Stadium. I doubt that I'll be able to watch Arsenal away game there though without paying the usual second mortgage price (watched them a couple of times for about 23 quid at the DW)

My guess is 50% Hammers paying

10% giveaways to Hammer locals

30% away teams - most Prem league teams can muster 15,000+ travelling fans if the tickets are gettable

10% tourist packages - scope to meet a new demand form visiting Europeans/Asians/S Americans who have hitherto not been able to get into any of the 'big' clubs or 'big' grounds to get a live Prem experience

I reckon that West Ham will do well out of this development and it will become an attractive fixture for away fans.

Edited by SantiSuk

He failed to say how many free tickets he is going to give away to kids biggrin.png

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/19/olympic-stadium-cost-rises-west-ham

Of course. Most will be away team fans and neutrals deserate to see a Prem game! Always good to have a stadium where you can actually get in to Prem football. I used to use Wigan when my UK base was Leeds; now Im based in Cambridge maybe I can see a few games at the Olympic Stadium. I doubt that I'll be able to watch Arsenal away game there though without paying the usual second mortgage price (watched them a couple of times for about 23 quid at the DW)

30% away teams - most Prem league teams can muster 15,000+ travelling fans if the tickets are gettable

10% tourist packages - scope to meet a new demand form visiting Europeans/Asians/S Americans who have hitherto not been able to get into any of the 'big' clubs or 'big' grounds to get a live Prem experience

I reckon that West Ham will do well out of this development and it will become an attractive fixture for away fans.

To move from a 35,000ish stadium into a 54,000 is gonna be quite a big task to fill. However, I reckon your estimates are way off.

Upton Park (Boleyn) is about 35,000 and last year they got an average attendance of 34,871 which is 99.6% of their capacity. Normal away fan allocations account for 2,200 and so that leaves 32,600 of presumably Hammers fans (with an average attendance of 99.6% it would be fairly hard for anyone else to get a ticket). Therefore, just as it stands, that would equate to about 60% of the capacity. Add in those already on the waiting list, coupled with the cheap cost of a season ticket and that has got to be conservatively pushing 75%

Lots of seats to be sold to visiting Chinese and Japanese tourists as well.

The Premier League is quite the global tourist attraction. You only have to look at the front row at the Theatre of Dweebs.

To move from a 35,000ish stadium into a 54,000 is gonna be quite a big task to fill. However, I reckon your estimates are way off.

Upton Park (Boleyn) is about 35,000 and last year they got an average attendance of 34,871 which is 99.6% of their capacity. Normal away fan allocations account for 2,200 and so that leaves 32,600 of presumably Hammers fans (with an average attendance of 99.6% it would be fairly hard for anyone else to get a ticket). Therefore, just as it stands, that would equate to about 60% of the capacity. Add in those already on the waiting list, coupled with the cheap cost of a season ticket and that has got to be conservatively pushing 75%

OK - I was guessing at the stadium capacity and thought it was about 65,000. My main point was that I can't see them struggling to fill the Olympic Stadium unless they go for Emirates pricing. That last one is always a possibility, but it would be crazy to do it until season 2 or 3 when the real fans have made the mental adjustment. If I was their management I would be aiming for good value pricing on the season tickets, a few thou away fan pre-sale tickets at normal prices (40 quid) and sixty quid plus day tickets for everyone else on the internet.

David Gold doesn't need anyone's marketing advice though! Given his provenance (poor/East End) I doubt he will be looking to exploit the Hammers fans (naive or what?).

Edited by SantiSuk

quite an informative article,, http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/22/west-ham-europa-league-slaven-bilic

edit, you can see why clubs struggle in the prem after their first ish season in the europa, think wigan, everton last season

new stadium , new manager , it's got 'struggle ' printed all over it for west ham next season,,, personally i hope gold and co go tits up

Edited by rijit

• 1 month later...

What a win.

That Payet fella looks a great buy

Amazing performance. Hammer fans must be thinking what if Big Sam had been ditched long ago. Their youngsters beat Arsenal for pace all afternoon. What a different look.