Only 2 Visa Exempt Entries At Border Crossings Per Calendar Year Effective Dec 31st

They never asked me for a visa, even when arriving on a one way ticket. I've been coming back to Thailand on a regular basis since 2010, mostly from Bali and the EU. In Singapore they once asked me for an onward ticket when flying to Jakarta but that's because Jakarta immigration tends to ask for it but I can't really imagine the same happening when flying to Bangkok. Next month will be my first SIN-BKK flight so I guess I'll find out.

Normally they can see you have a return ticket so no need for them to ask, however when I've flown open jaw or using 2 x 1 way tickets with different airlines I'm always asked in Singapore when flying to the Philippines but have never been asked when doing the same to Thailand.

Have been asked once when flying Sin-KUL & once when flying KUL - DMK (was a new airline & clear the counter staff weren't sure about the rules for onward tickets).

I reckon the number of denied entries is  probably higher than we are aware of on TV. We only hear it from TV members who post about it.

The number denied at land border crossings and airports is not something that would be published and with new 2 only at land crossings it will probably go higher.

On 12/18/2016 at 0:01 PM, LivinLOS said:

Exactly... Some guys have been spending monthly downtime here for years.. Totally legitimately. Large financial contributors also. 

Secondly everyone keeps assuming this is going to be correctly and properly administered, that air arrivals wont be effected, that '2 more' after an air arrival will be accepted.. That no border officer may see many air arrivals and deny entry.. When has immigration ever been so consistent and clear ?? The reality is this is likely to lead to arbitrary decisions, inconvenience, and travellers put in a position of never really knowing.. 

Rules are all well and good, its the on the ground enforcement of the rules, in a clear and consistent manner, which never seems to happen. 

There was already a limit on how many VE  you can have via air or land. I think that number was 5 stamps or something like that. This doesn't mean you can fly in on VE and live here as you like. This is in addition to the current limits already in place.

Wow for the people living in Laos and neighboring countries. My friend has a business in Laos and goes to Thailand several times a month for supplies. Now if he were in VTE or SVN it wouldn't be so bad to get a visa. There is no Thai embassy in Pakse and to go to SVN is way too far. 

So the chances of getting supplies on 4,000 islands Lao are hard now. Almost every business there depends on Ubon for basic supplies. Lao has added a 10% VAT and this will make goods go up in price to buy them on they Lao side. That is if they are even available there which is getting a bit better each year.

Great news if you have an import export business in Lao. Many times at friendship market the products still have the labels with Thai Baht prices on them. In some cases the prices in Lao are almost double. 

I suppose it could be argued that if they didn't pay tax coming in they were smuggling. Cost of life just went up in Laos though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Wow for the people living in Laos and neighboring countries. My friend has a business in Laos and goes to Thailand several times a month for supplies. Now if he were in VTE or SVN it wouldn't be so bad to get a visa. There is no Thai embassy in Pakse and to go to SVN is way too far. 

The new rule does not apply to Laotians since they get their entries from a bi-lateral agreement.

If your friend is not Laotioan then it could be a problem.

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The new rule does not apply to Laotians since they get their entries from a bi-lateral agreement.

If your friend is not Laotioan then it could be a problem.

I told my friend he could have his wife go. Unfortunately we all know what happens if you send a Lao to shop for things for a Farang business. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JB300 said:

Normally they can see you have a return ticket so no need for them to ask.

Thailand is basically my 'homebase' so I never enter the country with an onward ticket. I rarely go to my country of origin and because I don't usually plan far ahead I hope I can keep traveling without having to buy tickets far in advance all the time.

Last time I came in (mid december) they said I had come in and out too many times, I usually just hop in the car you see and drive to the poi pet border... get my 30 days, then extend for another 30 days...  I appreciate I have abused this now but I have also mixed it up with visas purchased from cambodia and what not flying and staying a few days... does this new law mean from now as in 2017 I am allowed to do 2 more? so it has reset since 2016? the immagration officer let me in however said I needed to get a visa next time so just wondering if I will be ok now its 2017 two times? thanks

28 minutes ago, ryanhull said:

Last time I came in (mid december) they said I had come in and out too many times, I usually just hop in the car you see and drive to the poi pet border... get my 30 days, then extend for another 30 days...  I appreciate I have abused this now but I have also mixed it up with visas purchased from cambodia and what not flying and staying a few days... does this new law mean from now as in 2017 I am allowed to do 2 more? so it has reset since 2016? the immagration officer let me in however said I needed to get a visa next time so just wondering if I will be ok now its 2017 two times? thanks

There is no information indicating they will cease their unpredictable, undefined limitations on Visa Exempts for those who visit frequently or stay long-term.  All we know, is there is now a hard-limit of 2 at land borders.  I would not count on any sort of "new leniency" as part of the bargain.

Poipet is the worst place to enter, in any case.  Even those with valid Multi-Entry visas are being told they cannot use this crossing.  If I were you, I would use Ban Laem for my next attempt.

There is no information indicating they will cease their unpredictable, undefined limitations on Visa Exempts for those who visit frequently or stay long-term.  All we know, is there is now a hard-limit of 2 at land borders.  I would not count on any sort of "new leniency" as part of the bargain.

Poipet is the worst place to enter, in any case.  Even those with valid Multi-Entry visas are being told they cannot use this crossing.  If I were you, I would use Ban Laem for my next attempt.

Thanks for your reply, my query was more does this mean the number of entries has in affect reset as its now 2017? meaning I am above my limit, or atleast I was in 2016 however now its 2017 I assume I can do it twice again? thanks

Edited by ryanhull

20 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I am willing to bet my life on it.

8 hours ago, ryanhull said:

Thanks for your reply, my query was more does this mean the number of entries has in affect reset as its now 2017? meaning I am above my limit, or atleast I was in 2016 however now its 2017 I assume I can do it twice again? thanks

I would say yes. Two more this year.

You might get a few questions asked especially at airports but if you have cash, 10/20,000 baht and a hotel booking print out you should be ok.

Edited by overherebc

I am not so sure that if somebody has a lot of back to back entries it will suddenly reset. It seems to me that the new rules are in addition to the rules already in place. If they are trying to get rid of people living here on visa exempt entries it wouldn't make sense for them to reset the clock. Nobody really knows for certain so I guess you will just have to try. 

12 hours ago, ryanhull said:

12 hours ago, ryanhull said:

I doubt that it will reset if you have many VE already and have already been warned about it, these warnings are usually prompted from a alert on the Immigration system

As others have said avoid Poipet and try Ban Laem

• 3 weeks later...

Would this latest update -- 2 land border crossings per year for visa exemptions -- also include the Mae Sai border?  Sometimes it seems to work with its own rules.

My tourist visa expires this month.  I'd like to spend just one more month here in Feb and not go through the multi-day hassle of getting a new tourist visa.

14 minutes ago, chadimus said:

Would this latest update -- 2 land border crossings per year for visa exemptions -- also include the Mae Sai border?  Sometimes it seems to work with its own rules.

Mae Sai has not allowed a crossing unless you have a valid visa for re-entry for some time now and I have not seen any reports of that changing since the new rules came into effect. You can go to the Chiang Khong crossing to Laos and get a visa exempt entry.

On 1/4/2017 at 0:09 AM, ryanhull said:

Hey Ryanhull, or anyone else

Any update on if these limits are reset? I did a few last year, and would like to do one more soon....

6 minutes ago, leonardjones625 said:

Hey Ryanhull, or anyone else

Any update on if these limits are reset? I did a few last year, and would like to do one more soon....

This is a new calendar year so you started the year with no entries that count.

Apparently they delayed putting the order into effect until the end of last year so it started on the 1st of January.

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, JB300 said:

Normally they can see you have a return ticket so no need for them to ask, however when I've flown open jaw or using 2 x 1 way tickets with different airlines I'm always asked in Singapore when flying to the Philippines but have never been asked when doing the same to Thailand.

Have been asked once when flying Sin-KUL & once when flying KUL - DMK (was a new airline & clear the counter staff weren't sure about the rules for onward tickets).

I never have an onward ticket when flying to Thailand. I know you're supposed to but they never bothered to ask and until that changes I will just keep doing what I do. Thailand is sort of my base. Indonesian immigration is different. They've been hugely stepping up their game, especially the last year, and I always make sure I have an onward ticket on me. I just buy a crazy cheap 20 dollar ticket that I never intend to use anyway.

That last part made me think a bit more. Who knows there might be entirely empty planes flying on very short routes in and out of the country just so the people buying the tickets follow immigration rules. And if this really happens it's also not a very environmentally friendly effect of this rule that you must have an onward ticket. I never bothered to cancel the ticket but next time I definitely will after entering Indonesia just so they can put an actual passenger in my seat.

2 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

I never have an onward ticket when flying to Thailand. I know you're supposed to but they never bothered to ask and until that changes I will just keep doing what I do. Thailand is sort of my base. Indonesian immigration is different. They've been hugely stepping up their game, especially the last year, and I always make sure I have an onward ticket on me. I just buy a crazy cheap 20 dollar ticket that I never intend to use anyway.

That last part made me think a bit more. Who knows there might be entirely empty planes flying on very short routes in and out of the country just so the people buying the tickets follow immigration rules. And if this really happens it's also not a very environmentally friendly effect of this rule that you must have an onward ticket. I never bothered to cancel the ticket but next time I definitely will after entering Indonesia just so they can put an actual passenger in my seat.

There are websites like flyonward.com and onwardflights.com where you rent a real ticket that auto cancels after 24 - 48 hours, that works at immigration too even if they check the flight number. It's basically a print out of a confirmed, real reservation. Costs like $10

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jspill said:

There are websites like flyonward.com and onwardflights.com where you rent a real ticket that auto cancels after 24 - 48 hours, that works at immigration too even if they check the flight number. It's basically a print out of a confirmed, real reservation. Costs like $10

What a great idea!

Thanks JSpill

I think I will actually ask Immigration if this Flyonward is legal next time I pop in there. I am a bit confused you see as it states it's not actually a ticket to fly and shouldn't actually be used. I will print one out for them, take it in with me and get them to check Flyonward.com out and see what they say. Should be interesting to get an opinion.

2 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

I think I will actually ask Immigration if this Flyonward is legal next time I pop in there. I am a bit confused you see as it states it's not actually a ticket to fly and shouldn't actually be used. I will print one out for them, take it in with me and get them to check Flyonward.com out and see what they say. Should be interesting to get an opinion.

The rule is that you need an onward ticket. Just take that rule literally. It doesn't say you need to use it or anything. But 48 hours validity is never enough. You need it to get a visa and you need it also to get into the country.. There is no way you can do all that within 48 hours. So by the time you have to pass through immigration the ticket is cancelled and if they check with the airline you're still in trouble. So I would still opt for a cheap real ticket and cancel it myself after I entered the country.

4 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It's been around a while. You only just joined Thaivisa but there are many people like you here who I'm sure will have reported it to immigration in the past. I don't think it's going anywhere as it's indistinguishable from a real ticket but good luck. 

4 minutes ago, AgentSmith said:

The rule is that you need an onward ticket. Just take that rule literally. It doesn't say you need to use it or anything. But 48 hours validity is never enough. You need it to get a visa and you need it also to get into the country.. There is no way you can do all that within 48 hours. So by the time you have to pass through immigration the ticket is cancelled and if they check with the airline you're still in trouble. So I would still opt for a cheap real ticket and cancel it myself after I entered the country.

I have never (so far) in 8 years been asked to show a ticket when getting a visa.   My visas so far have been from Laos, Hong Kong or the UK.   

Perhaps there are places that are stricter, but those 3 places no problem.

I've also never been asked by Immigration for financial proof or a ticket either but I think I'll start carrying the 10K and a ticket from one of these services just in case.

4 minutes ago, AgentSmith said:

Well not every consulate requires a ticket to get a visa. 

Or you could get two of them, for $14 total on the latter website, one for the consulate one for the airport. For cheap real tickets you're looking at $50 ish. 

3 minutes ago, AgentSmith said:

Yes I understand but I am thinking on volunteering as a helper at Immigration as there are positions available for ex pats to help out. I took a very early retirement and have a lot of time on my hands and a couple of days week would be interesting work there. I like to learn new things so I am going to enquire if these tickets are actually legal.

7 minutes ago, jspill said:

It's been around a while. You only just joined Thaivisa but there are many people like you here who I'm sure will have reported it to immigration in the past. I don't think it's going anywhere as it's indistinguishable from a real ticket but good luck. 

Yes, not been a member long but I suggest you don't ever take me for an idiot. Sometimes it can be a help to consider just who you maybe talking too here and what there background maybe or may have been :smile:

Edited by Lovethailandelite