Only 2 Visa Exempt Entries At Border Crossings Per Calendar Year Effective Dec 31st

Just now, SheungWan said:

It would appear that the main problem is that those who were doing more than two land border runs per year are in practice complaining about the additional cost of converting those land runs into air flights. Given the additional cost of short flight hops, is it so terrible a prospect?

Were there a system of known rules for Visa Exempts at airports, this would not be a problem for some.  But the risk of being detained and forced to buy a ticket to who knows where, based on an assessment of unknown and rules that vary by airport, day, and supervisor on-duty, makes that option more than a bit stressful.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jpinx said:

It is unclear who is being "protected" here.  Someone who has enough funds to have a condo, car, etc in Thailand, will  obviously have enough for an Elite Visa. As I said before, anyone scratching around to get 500k together for a 5 year visa is really not going to be benefitting Thailand with much in Sales tax, etc. 

I had a car most of my life, and so glad to live in a country where I don't need one, and can hire someone else to drive on those occasions where public-transport is not convenient.  Another great benefit of Thailand, and why it is an economical place to live - which is a key reason why it is a popular destination.

A nice condo (sea-view) + utilities + food + transportation is 500K Baht / year or less.   There are hundreds of people who spend less living here on retirement visas now, yet all they spend contributes to the Thai economy.   None get any "services" for free - so they do no harm. 

Those being benefited are the Thais whom they pay that entire sum to, every year - and all of it is taxed.  For every high-roller, there are hundreds or thousands of people who spend non-elite sums, so yes, we benefit Thailand more than the few high-rollers in Sales Tax, Thai businesses, etc.

16 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Were there a system of known rules for Visa Exempts at airports, this would not be a problem for some.  But the risk of being detained and forced to buy a ticket to who knows where, based on an assessment of unknown and rules that vary by airport, day, and supervisor on-duty, makes that option more than a bit stressful.

You have examples of such treatment of incoming people? 

If someone has an income from their own country that allows them to live the life they are comfortable with what's the problem.

Talking here about the over 50's who have 65,000 a month or over and can stay on extensions happily for however long. If it suits them to stay in a small rented place and means they only have 90 day reports to do and they like it all why spend 500,000 on a visa and still have to do 90 day reports if they don't live in BKK.

The elite visa was instigated by someone who believed that Thailand would attract millionaires who would also spend millions on all the High End attractions in Thailand.

I will soon convert to a retirement extention while we organise selling the house here and go live in the house in Bangkok.

With a re-entry permit we will do as much travelling as we can until I fall off the perch.

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I had a car most of my life, and so glad to live in a country where I don't need one, and can hire someone else to drive on those occasions where public-transport is not convenient.  Another great benefit of Thailand, and why it is an economical place to live - which is a key reason why it is a popular destination.

A nice condo (sea-view) + utilities + food + transportation is 500K Baht / year or less.   There are hundreds of people who spend less living here on retirement visas now, yet all they spend contributes to the Thai economy.   None get any "services" for free - so they do no harm. 

Those being benefited are the Thais whom they pay that entire sum to, every year - and all of it is taxed.  For every high-roller, there are hundreds or thousands of people who spend non-elite sums, so yes, we benefit Thailand more than the few high-rollers in Sales Tax, Thai businesses, etc.

At 500K p.a. for the condo, plus food and living expenses maybe totalling something well over a million a year, 100k p.a for the Elite visa is not such a bad deal....  ;)

Not quite, as you're driving up the rental & service prices for Thais with a similar purchasing parity to you which drives up the prices all the way down the chain.

Basic rule of supply & demand, if the "medium" Long term stay "Tourists" weren't there, demand would fall & prices stop rising (nb how I didn't say they'd fall, TiT after all).

24 minutes ago, jpinx said:

You have examples of such treatment of incoming people? 

Yes - and I am surprised you would ask, given the many forum-posts they have made, which are only the ones we heard about.  Some failed to have sufficient pocket-money, and were not allowed to walk over to the ATM and withdraw it to show. 

Others had the money, but the reason for rejection written into their passport was "insufficient funds." 

Some were held in a locked-room overnight, while waiting for a flight out the next day. 

Others had to pay to be "guarded" awaiting their outgoing flight, as if they were going to "flee" and do an end-run around the immigration checkpoint. 

Some had been out of the country for months, so were clearly not "visa runners" or holding down illegal-jobs.  Others were more frequent visitors. 

Many more were "barely let in" after being detained and questioned for awhile - not the sort of 'welcoming' one would expect, and not good for encouraging more to come here and spend their foreign-sourced capital into the economy.  The Tourism dept must be fuming at how their efforts to encourage more tourism - a large slice of the Thai economy - is being undercut by these semi-random policies.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jpinx said:

At 500K p.a. for the condo, plus food and living expenses maybe totalling something well over a million a year, 100k p.a for the Elite visa is not such a bad deal....  ;)

The 500K is for all of it - not just the condo.  Have you checked condo-prices since the "visa-crackdown" started?  Lots of good deals to be made.  I am up 20 floors - beautiful view - western-kitchen and bath, etc

Edited by JackThompson

31 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes - and I am surprised you would ask, given the many forum-posts they have made, which are only the ones we heard about.  Some failed to have sufficient pocket-money, and were not allowed to walk over to the ATM and withdraw it to show. 

Others had the money, but the reason for rejection written into their passport was "insufficient funds." 

Some were held in a locked-room overnight, while waiting for a flight out the next day. 

Others had to pay to be "guarded" awaiting their outgoing flight, as if they were going to "flee" and do an end-run around the immigration checkpoint. 

Some had been out of the country for months, so were clearly not "visa runners" or holding down illegal-jobs.  Others were more frequent visitors. 

Many more were "barely let in" after being detained and questioned for awhile - not the sort of 'welcoming' one would expect, and not good for encouraging more to come here and spend their foreign-sourced capital into the economy.  The Tourism dept must be fuming at how their efforts to encourage more tourism - a large slice of the Thai economy - is being undercut by these semi-random policies.

So - in a nutshell - you don't have specific examples of a reasonable tourist being given this treatment. 

29 minutes ago, jpinx said:

So - in a nutshell - you don't have specific examples of a reasonable tourist being given this treatment. 

I admit I'm not a tourist, been here since 19canteen on 0 visas, B visas etc. WP' etc etc. I haven't used a VE for years.

I went to Aukland and had already spoken to the consulate about a visa and all was agreed on the e-mail info I sent that a new multi O would not be a problem.

Delayed flight in on the first day an arrangements that couldn't be changed meant I couldn't get to the consulate to apply and return so I thought ok, get a 30 day on return then go out a few days later to get a new MO.

On leaving Aukland I was asked why I didn't have a visa or return ticket. I have at least 5 MO's in my passport.As my wife was with me we convinced them all would be ok and I was allowed to board.

On arrival in BKK I was questioned as to why I didn't have a visa or ticket and my wife who was through before me came to the back of the booth, spoke to the IO and he eventually stamped 30 days.

Edited by overherebc

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I admit I'm not a tourist, been here since 19canteen on 0 visas, B visas etc. WP' etc etc. I haven't used a VE for years.

I went to Aukland and had already spoken to the consulate about a visa and all was agreed on the e-mail info I sent that a new multi O would not be a problem.

Delayed flight in on the first day an arrangements that couldn't be changed meant I couldn't get to the consulate to apply and return so I thought ok, get a 30 day on return then go out a few days later to get a new MO.

On leaving Aukland I was asked why I didn't have a visa or return ticket. As my wife was with me we convinced them all would be ok and I was allowed to board.

On arrival in BKK I was questioned as to why I didn't have a visa or ticket and my wife who was through before me came to the back of the booth, spoke to the IO and he eventually stamped 30 days.

So you did not meet the entry requirements. Completeky different from ther discussion between two other members.

30 minutes ago, jpinx said:

I suggest you search these forums, what he describes IS happening and there are plenty of story's  on this forum from the people it has happened to

Also I have 2 friends who have received the treatment he describes at the Airport, they have no reason to lie to me

3 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

I suggest you search these forums, what he describes IS happening and there are plenty of story's  on this forum from the people it has happened to

Also I have 2 friends who have received the treatment he describes at the Airport, they have no reason to lie to me

This is way offtopic now, since the new rules apply to LAND CROSSINGS.  You can pretty much carry on as before at the airports.

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So you did not meet the entry requirements. Completeky different from ther discussion between two other members.

The entry requirements?

I have been living working and paying taxes here since 1991.

And no I'm not interested in PR.

I showed a bank book with substantially more than 20,000 baht plus same in my wallet in baht plus UK money.

Would that work at a land crossing next year?

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

The 500K is for all of it - not just the condo.  Have you checked condo-prices since the "visa-crackdown" started?  Lots of good deals to be made.  I am up 20 floors - beautiful view - western-kitchen and bath, etc

So, 42,000 per month for all of it? While doable, would hardly be considered luxurious or even comfortable. Why retire before 50 to then live such a life?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jpinx said:

In a nutshell, there are many examples on this forum of what I describe.  If you can provide a precise definition of what Thai immigration will classify as a "reasonable tourist," that would be the first I've heard of such a definition.

15 minutes ago, jpinx said:

This is way offtopic now, since the new rules apply to LAND CROSSINGS.  You can pretty much carry on as before at the airports.

The problem is, the way "as before" at the airports is a mess unless you rarely come to Thailand.  If you want many, many examples of this ongoing problem, feel free to search this forum. 

My advice is, if you come here more than twice a year, don't even think of coming without a Tourist Visa.  Some get away with a dozen entries a year, and others get the "lockup and boot-out" with only a few. 

The entry requirements?
I have been living working and paying taxes here since 1991.
And no I'm not interested in PR.
I showed a bank book with substantially more than 20,000 baht plus same in my wallet in baht plus UK money.
Would that work at a land crossing next year?

Yes, you didn't meet the entry requirements. No visa, extension of stay with re-entry permit or the for visa exempt entry required onward ticket.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

In a nutshell, there are many examples on this forum of what I describe.  If you can provide a precise definition of what Thai immigration will classify as a "reasonable tourist," that would be the first I've heard of such a definition.

The problem is, the way "as before" at the airports is a mess unless you rarely come to Thailand.  If you want many, many examples of this ongoing problem, feel free to search this forum. 

My advice is, if you come here more than twice a year, don't even think of coming without a Tourist Visa.  Some get away with a dozen entries a year, and others get the "lockup and boot-out" with only a few. 

They can get a METV

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

And next year you can do it twice at any land crossing. Will you have to show a flight out or a pre-paid bus ticket?

With an METV you will not need a Permit to Enter and you will not be restricted.

1 minute ago, jpinx said:

With an METV you will not need a Permit to Enter and you will not be restricted.

Why pay for a METV for 4 weeks holiday?

In all honesty I feel the easiest solution would be to stop all VE's and make a visa a requirement for all tourists. Land or air entry.

Then again, what would we argue about on TV?

?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, overherebc said:

In all honesty I feel the easiest solution would be to stop all VE's and make a visa a requirement for all tourists. Land or air entry.

?

At the moment all tourist visas are free ;)

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

?

Then again that would have screwed me up coming back from Aukland ?

But would have forced me into a few more days of cheap wine and BBQ'd lamb rack.?

Anyhooo, the two per year VE's I still feel will cause problems for some that it isn't targetted at.

As I posted before, expats from Cam and Laos etc who do regular shopping trips etc.

Not sure if they have anyway around it except buying SETV's if they can do it without too much hassle on their part.

1 hour ago, jpinx said:

It's not off topic as these incidents happened at the Airports, both DM and Swampy, these are where the problems are occurring, there are only sporadic reports of issues at land crossings, if you think there are not issues at the Airports you obviously don't read the forums much,

Edited by darrendsd

2 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

It's not off topic as these incidents happened at the Airports, both DM and Swampy, these are where the problems are occurring, there are only sporadic reports of issues at land crossings, if you think there are not issues at the Airports you obviously don't read the forums much,

I think they will end up being well related when the rules on max two VE's by land are going to start being applied at airports whether official or not.

Not quite on topic but related is my excuse for the post.