Only 2 Visa Exempt Entries At Border Crossings Per Calendar Year Effective Dec 31st

31 minutes ago, breaky9973 said:

I am an expat in Laos and frequently pass the border in Chong Mek. Often I just need a break from Laos and go to get that big city vibe from Bangkok. But since the only flight out of Pakse airport to Bangkok is expensive and always makes a stop in Savannakhet, I prefer to do a border crossing. Most of Thai immigration staff know me at the border and they know I do have a work permit and business visa for working in Laos. I wonder how this rule is going to affect my travels though.

I suspect the new regulation will only be used for those that are doing border hops for new entries. Those are the people they are trying to target with it.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I suspect the new regulation will only be used for those that are doing border hops for new entries. Those are the people they are trying to target with it.

Most likely that's the intent.

However, have you ever watched a TV show called Little Britain?

A phrase used often is 'Computer says No'

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, darrendsd said:

"They don't want people here on 40k a month"

Plenty of married or retired people are here on that so your argument is destroyed straight away

"Plenty..." ????  On what do you base your ridiculous statement?

• Like 1

On the point of someone who lives in Laos stamping out of Laos and then being refused a VE entry to Thailand will there be a problem going back to Laos if not stamped in and out of Thailand.

Remember entry to Thailand was refused to those who didn't enter and leave Cambodia when doing runs at Poipet.

I've seen a few being sent back when they tried it at Poipet. 

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, breaky9973 said:

I am an expat in Laos and frequently pass the border in Chong Mek. Often I just need a break from Laos and go to get that big city vibe from Bangkok. But since the only flight out of Pakse airport to Bangkok is expensive and always makes a stop in Savannakhet, I prefer to do a border crossing. Most of Thai immigration staff know me at the border and they know I do have a work permit and business visa for working in Laos. I wonder how this rule is going to affect my travels though.

I'm sure as you are legally working in Laos and have a WP etc you can apply for a METV, this would solve your problem as it provides unlimited entry's into Thailand

Others will be able to confirm

2 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Ok so as you obviously know the average amount a Ex Pat lives on here why don't you share it with us? Please provide verifiable facts

The requirement is 65k.  If they don't have that and lie in their application they are "bad guys" and will be put out.

1 minute ago, darrendsd said:

I'm sure as you are legally working in Laos and have a WP etc you can apply for a METV, this would solve your problem as it provides unlimited entry's into Thailand

I was under the impression an METV could only be issued in your own country.

Prepared to be proved wrong, hopefully, as it would be useful for breaky etc.

On 12/20/2016 at 2:34 PM, JayBird said:

It seems they really are moving towards their goal of the right visit for each individual.  As stated a year+ ago, they don't have a problem with people visiting, they just want them on the right visa.

Combined with the Embassy web sites advertising Thailand Elite, it seems there is more of a shift towards this.  And it can easily be broken down to:

1) Real casual visitors (30 days a year) -- Visa Exempt / On Arrival @ Airport

2) Real casual visitors (60 days a year) -- SETV from home country

3) Visitors who are visiting all of Asia - METV from home country (note: METV is not meant to say you can stay for 6/9 months, its mean to say you can hop in/out easily without applying for a visa each time.  It just happens to have a long expiration date -- would not be surprised if this changed to 60 days in the future or had a cumulative day cap of 60 days per METV)

And for those who, for whatever reason, what to stay here longer than 60/90 days on a regular basis the 'correct' visa would be the PE visa (via Thailand Elite) or Retirement Visa (if of age).

Therefore, the people who would be affected the most by these policies are:

-- Those who wish to stay here longer than 60/90 days a year AND do not wish to get a PE or Retirement Visa.

Or in other words: Young non-touristy tourists without a lot of money.

Right or wrong, at a glance, if you are young, not a real touristy tourist, and don't have a lot of money, Thai thinking will kick in and figure you to be 'undesirable' (right or wrong as that may be).

Sadly this will also sweep in the good guys, but they probably make a small enough % of the visitors that Thailand does not care :P

So what to do moving forward?

1) Respect that Thailand does not really want you to stay here for a long period of time

2) Convince them you are 'cool' by paying for the Thailand Elite visa (or be old and have money in the bank).

Fair or not, doesn't matter -- this is how it is.

The only thing holding me back right now from getting a PE Visa is this nagging thought at the back of my head that the day after I pay for it an agreement is made between G7 countries for 90 day visa on arrivals :P

By non-touristy tourists, you must mean people working as english teachers who do visa runs rather than get a work permit.

I know of 2 at least (not that I care what they do)

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

By non-touristy tourists, you must mean people working as english teachers who do visa runs rather than get a work permit.

I know of 2 at least (not that I care what they do)

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would do this.  It pays poorly and is illegal.  From those who I have spoken with, the student-interest in learning English is low to non-existent, so not sure how it could be remotely rewarding.  

Is it really that hard to find a "legitimate" English-teaching gig in Thailand?  If so, these teachers should consider Cambodia - US $15/hr with work-permit was offered by a fellow I just happened to meet at a restaurant in a smaller province (pay is higher than the capital).  He had taught in Thailand, previously, and said the Cambodian kids actually want to learn English.  Though I have no interest in being a teacher, watching his students run around happily practicing their English actually made me consider it.

In any case, the place to catch those working-illegally seems easy to figure out, so no need to try to enforce labor-laws at consulates and immigration-checkpoints.  Some of us unmarried under-50s do stay here long term without taking Thai jobs.

Edited by JackThompson

20 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Thanks. I Honestly I do hope it will not come this far. I have never stayed more than 10 days in one time in Thailand and then I only did that once.  My average is about 3 days. And when I read the requirements to obtain a METV I rather go take a plane or go somewhere else.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would do this.  It pays poorly and is illegal.  From those who I have spoken with, the student-interest in learning English is low to non-existent, so not sure how it could be remotely rewarding.  

Is it really that hard to find a "legitimate" English-teaching gig in Thailand?  If so, these teachers should consider Cambodia - US $15/hr with work-permit was offered by a fellow I just happened to meet at a restaurant in a smaller province (pay is higher than the capital).  He had taught in Thailand, previously, and said the Cambodian kids actually want to learn English.  Though I have no interest in being a teacher, watching his students run around happily practicing their English actually made me consider it.

In any case, the place to catch those working-illegally seems easy to figure out, so no need to try to enforce labor-laws at consulates and immigration-checkpoints.  Some of us unmarried under-50s do stay here long term without taking Thai jobs.

A lot of the problems relating to teachers working without WP's comes from many schools who never bother to find out how to understand visa types and getting a WP. 

They will use a lawyer and pay 20,000 to 50,000 baht each time and usually the lawyer will understand less than the school about the system.

The above is obvious when you read posts saying 'my school tells me I have to cancel my B visa and get a tourist visa so the lawyer can re-apply'.

Yes, I know many teachers don't help by walking out on contracts etc, but, school admin sections should really get up to speed on the process, therefore spend less and pay decent salaries.

Edited by overherebc

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

this is getting a little off topic but i was thinking the same exact thing.  the only people i can think of that would do this are on overstay and are trying to earn the money to pay an 'agent' to resolve their overstay.  and hopefully they'll go to home country after they get enough cash.  low level english teachers can't save much money (even 'high level' won't save much).  many students could care less about learning.  i can't understand someone in their home country saying 'i'm gong to go to thailand and teach english w/o a work permit and i can't wait to enjoy'.  the only teachers i know that make decent money (100,000thb/mo) are tutors for passing the exams to get into university.  and their students are not thais, mainly korean and japanese (some chinese).  i know a couple from australia that work as lower level english teachers but they are legal and they already made their money back home.  it is more of a charity thing, not about the money.  they'd do it for free.

On 12/20/2016 at 3:08 PM, Evilbaz said:

The choice of moving to a neighbouring country is not an option if you have a Thai partner or family.

All you do then it seems is shift the Visa problems to them, which is pretty selfish.

Visa for support of your Thai child.. 

Visa for marriage.. 

The problem is ??? 

On 12/20/2016 at 8:49 PM, William Osborne said:

40K /months seems pretty tight to me !!.... wonder what the their options are if they get any medical issues (which most retired people do ?)

Ridiculous.. Talking about 40k like its something the Thai economy should have its begging bowls out for.. 

Thats a big night out in bangkok.. Its a weekend spend on Phuket.. Thats the people they want, thats the people that will buy a elite visa simply as they want the abslute freedom to not think about being told no.. 

I understand that can annoy someone who thinks 40k is important, but the cold hard truth is, its not.. Thinking it is, or worse thinking it will be going forward in another 5 years or decade, is where the real source of the problem is. If 40k is your anticipated budget go back to the west while you still can and make some more !! 

I received this email from ThaiVisaService today, could be helpful for some of the Asean readers of the forum

Border Ban Laem will stamp ASEAN passport unlimited times, Filipino,
Singaporean, Malaysian and Indonesian for 15days, Vietnam and Laos,
due to bilateral agreement for 30days.  G8 Nations (Germany, Japan,
UK, USA, Italy, Canada, France and Russia) will get 30days visa
exempt, at least TWO times per calendar year. Other Western Country,
incl. South Africa, Australia, New Zealand are entitled to 15days visa
exempt entry stamp.

41 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

I received this email from ThaiVisaService today, could be helpful for some of the Asean readers of the forum

Border Ban Laem will stamp ASEAN passport unlimited times, Filipino,
Singaporean, Malaysian and Indonesian for 15days, Vietnam and Laos,
due to bilateral agreement for 30days.  G8 Nations (Germany, Japan,
UK, USA, Italy, Canada, France and Russia) will get 30 days visa
exempt, at least TWO times per calendar year. Other Western Country,
incl. South Africa, Australia, New Zealand are entitled to 15 days visa
exempt entry stamp.

That is what I expected.

But was not sure about those not on a bilateral agreement.

Odd they did not mention Cambodians that get a 14 day entry from a bilateral agreement.

Brunei is not on the list that get a standard visa exempt entry.

Russia is on a bilateral agreement not the vise exempt scheme.

Malaysia is exempt from the rule as mentioned in the ministerial order.

See here for who gets what. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So it looks as though the only people who will have a problem are people doing out/in from inside Thailand??

It does not indicate that. Only thing in the post is that it does not apply for those from certain countries. 

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Visa for support of your Thai child.. 

Visa for marriage.. 

The problem is ??? 

So Vietnam or Laos or Cambodia will give your Thai wife a long-term visa because you have a Thai (luuk kreung) child?

Or because she's married to you?

Really?

(or did you speed read and misunderstand my comment?).

43 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The confusing bit is the 'At least two times a year' !!!!

Does that more than two?

Yes certainly confusing but personally I would not try any more than 2 as this is what the ministerial order clearly states

However ThaiVisaService do deal with  Ban Laem Immigration every day so maybe they have been told something different but who know's? 

6 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

So Vietnam or Laos or Cambodia will give your Thai wife a long-term visa because you have a Thai (luuk kreung) child?

Or because she's married to you?

Really?

(or did you speed read and misunderstand my comment?).

I fully understand your saying he has to leave.. But.. Why must he "move to a neighbouring country" ?? 

If he has Thai family.. A thai child.. Why must he leave to Cambodia or Vietnam ?? He doesnt have any issues !! This is irrelevant to those people. 

Hes not the young solo budget long stayer whose facing more difficulty.. Claiming its splitting up families is a straw man argument, they are not doing anything against people who have valid reasons of stay, the exact people your making out will be separated.. Theres no problem for him. 

The people this will effects are single, long stayers, under 50, who have not enough budget for an elite visa, or even to fly in and out.. Thailand is being quite clear in what it wants to make less appealing. 

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1