Only 2 Visa Exempt Entries At Border Crossings Per Calendar Year Effective Dec 31st

3 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

I am thinking about crossing a land-border before 31.12. to get another 30 days (only need 15 days actually). Don't really wanna travel abroad over New Year but rather go to some beaches here.

I arrived on 1.12. via air. Before that, I was here in March/April for a similar time (30 days, 5 days Burma, another 10 days, though via air). I have a return ticket for the 15.1. So not a in/out-hopper at all. 

Do you think I should be fine? 

Any recommendation regarding which border crossing is the easiest one? 

Unless you got your entry is from a bi-lateral agreement you can apply for a 30 day extension at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

It does appear you would not have a problem doing a border hop if you chose to do it.

Thanks for your response. The 30 days is not from a bilateral agreement but the visa exemption scheme for certain countries (im from Europe). 

How do I apply for such extension? At the immigration in Chaeng Wattana? Where can I find information regarding what the requirements are?

2 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

How do I apply for such extension? At the immigration in Chaeng Wattana? Where can I find information regarding what the requirements are?

You will need a completed TM7 application form with a 4 X 6 photo attached. Copies of your passport photo page, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

23 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

You seem to miss the aspect of environmental cost, the additional 'load' the thai system and society has to bear from these ever increasing numbers. 

It seems they would rather less people spending more.. Your view that they should just want more of everything does not have to be theirs. 

Ahh you're a true capitalist LivinLOS. Come to live in Thailand earning money from capital investments (having others earn your money for you..), no need to pay tax and support the Thai system. Start actually working for your money, and you become a tax dodging undesirable.

You add just as much load to the Thai system, whether you check some emails and attend to some business matters, or keep a hands-off policy. Understand that I agree with you in many respects, I just disagree with your stance that those doing it by the book, are any different. Capitalizing on a loophole (enabled by Thai policy makers), doesn't make it better.

On 19/12/2016 at 9:43 AM, ubonjoe said:

You should of wrote a visa or a flight out of the country within 30 days of arrival.

I've never been asked for a visa before boarding a flight to Thailand, and I've always gone for more than a month.. I'm on a UK passport, and for the past 15 years I've been boarding at Athens airport, as I now live in Greece. I'll be flying (with my Thai wife, who lives with me here in Greece) to Thailand in mid February, and our return flight is booked for six weeks later. The plan is that we will go for a week to Lao (the in-laws, who we'll be visiting, live in Ubon, so it's an easy trip), and on return from Lao I'll get another 30 day exemption which will more than cover the rest of our stay.

If, as some say, the airlines are demanding visas if the return is more than thirty days later, is that not mistaken? Because a G7 passport holder can quite legally be in Thailand for more than thirty days just on visa exemptions if he / she makes a side trip to a neighbouring country, as I will be doing.

There also seems to be the assumption on this thread that visitors to Thailand fall into two neat categories - cheap-charlie backpacker types, or those that have multiple thousands in the bank and six-figure incomes. I am neither of those. I have a small pension which I manage on because I own my property here in Greece, but I certainly don't have a swollen bank account. I do, however, have enough to be able to fly with my wife (economy) to Thailand and enjoy doing some travelling around staying in mid-range accommodation without having to worry about what I'm spending. I doubt, however, that I would qualify for one of these multiple entry tourist visas. And I would imagine there are many who would be in a similar situation to me.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, nisakiman said:

I'll be flying (with my Thai wife, who lives with me here in Greece) to Thailand in mid February, and our return flight is booked for six weeks later. The plan is that we will go for a week to Lao (the in-laws, who we'll be visiting, live in Ubon, so it's an easy trip), and on return from Lao I'll get another 30 day exemption which will more than cover the rest of our stay.

i think you'll be okay with that itinerary.  when i've been asked about a ticket out of thailand, i am entering on a one way with one airline and coming back on a one way on a different airline.  i assume you are on the same airline and don't think they would stop you from boarding over the two week difference.  maybe others say different ?

I've never been asked for a visa before boarding a flight to Thailand, and I've always gone for more than a month.. I'm on a UK passport, and for the past 15 years I've been boarding at Athens airport, as I now live in Greece. I'll be flying (with my Thai wife, who lives with me here in Greece) to Thailand in mid February, and our return flight is booked for six weeks later. The plan is that we will go for a week to Lao (the in-laws, who we'll be visiting, live in Ubon, so it's an easy trip), and on return from Lao I'll get another 30 day exemption which will more than cover the rest of our stay.

If, as some say, the airlines are demanding visas if the return is more than thirty days later, is that not mistaken? Because a G7 passport holder can quite legally be in Thailand for more than thirty days just on visa exemptions if he / she makes a side trip to a neighbouring country, as I will be doing.

There also seems to be the assumption on this thread that visitors to Thailand fall into two neat categories - cheap-charlie backpacker types, or those that have multiple thousands in the bank and six-figure incomes. I am neither of those. I have a small pension which I manage on because I own my property here in Greece, but I certainly don't have a swollen bank account. I do, however, have enough to be able to fly with my wife (economy) to Thailand and enjoy doing some travelling around staying in mid-range accommodation without having to worry about what I'm spending. I doubt, however, that I would qualify for one of these multiple entry tourist visas. And I would imagine there are many who would be in a similar situation to me.

No, they are not mistaken. Officially for visa exempt entry onward ticket within 30 days is required. So officially you need either that onward ticket or a visa.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

2 minutes ago, Nuuk said:

Does that basically implicates that foreigners living in e.g. Vientiane can only do two shopping trips to Nong Khai annually ??

That is not clear yet. Strictly by the order it would mean that but they may come out with immigration procedures that allow more than two if the entries are not done as a border hop starting from here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuuk said:

Does that basically implicates that foreigners living in e.g. Vientiane can only do two shopping trips to Nong Khai annually ??

I would say that's what it looks like, however as it is most likely aimed at people who try to stay long term in Thailand by doing border in/outs it is possible that some crossings might not be as strict on the people you mention.

Only time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

I would say that's what it looks like, however as it is most likely aimed at people who try to stay long term in Thailand by doing border in/outs it is possible that some crossings might not be as strict on the people you mention.

Only time will tell.

If the goal was long-termers, the 180-day rule made more sense.  Perhaps this is to encourage more visitors to get Tourist Visas, so that those entering are (or could be) pre-screened by Thai Authorities prior to entry. 

I do not know what the procedures are at nearby consulates, but it is certainly possible, with the 1-day delay in application and receipt of a Tourist Visa, that the applications are sent to Bangkok on the day they are received, providing more time for a security-check than an "on the spot" Visa-Exempt allows.

We are all just guessing "what they are thinking" with the rule-changes.  But in light of current events in the world, I think this is a reasonable explanation which fits the new conditions - including the continued permission of unlimited tourist-visas - better than the commonly repeated, "They don't want people here long-term as 'tourists'," explanation.

Edited by JackThompson

5 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

gdaya folks,

im boggled by phrase in ubonjoes first post.....to limit the annual border crossings.....that implies for my belief  airports as well ???

wbr

roobaa01

The new rule is specifically limited to land-crossings.

4 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

gdaya folks,

im boggled by phrase in ubonjoes first post.....to limit the annual border crossings.....that implies for my belief  airports as well ???

wbr

roobaa01

The rule states at land border crossings.

f you mean the topic title I would think most people would not think flying in is the same as a border crossing since you don't physically cross a border.

• Like 1

Maybe Nongkhai doesn't want the foreign shoppers from Laos anymore.  I live in Laos, and come once a month, for a single-day only, to Nongkhai for shopping.  I'm hardly the only foreigner in Laos doing this.  I know of Koreans, Japanese, Canadians, Americans, and others all doing the same thing.  The way Lao visas work, a foreigner practically has to cross monthly for awhile until they have completed enough paperwork to apply for the work permit and one-year visa.  Thus, this new two-visa rule will impact Laos as well.  

I don't know what I'm going to do.  Might have to move.  On the Lao economy, I cannot afford to fly into Thailand regularly.

• Like 1

our experience in Ban Laem since the implementation of new rule for visa exempt entries.

Laotian get unlimited entries, Vietnamese as well, Malaysian too, all other countries are told two entries per year, but you will get 30 days, no more 15 days.

I do not know how they will handle the Farangs who live in border areas of Cambodia or Laos and wish to do shopping once or  twice a month.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Maybe Nongkhai doesn't want the foreign shoppers from Laos anymore.  I live in Laos, and come once a month, for a single-day only, to Nongkhai for shopping.  I'm hardly the only foreigner in Laos doing this.  I know of Koreans, Japanese, Canadians, Americans, and others all doing the same thing.  The way Lao visas work, a foreigner practically has to cross monthly for awhile until they have completed enough paperwork to apply for the work permit and one-year visa.  Thus, this new two-visa rule will impact Laos as well.  

I don't know what I'm going to do.  Might have to move.  On the Lao economy, I cannot afford to fly into Thailand regularly.

it is one of these short sights and done on one eye instruction without considering a lot of scenarios.

Best would be to enquiry with Nong Khai Immigration on how they handle multiple crossings. You are clearly not a visa runner.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, visarunner said:

it is one of these short sights and done on one eye instruction without considering a lot of scenarios.

Best would be to enquiry with Nong Khai Immigration on how they handle multiple crossings. You are clearly not a visa runner.

Spending about $300 USD (10,000 baht) per year for the privilege of shopping in Thailand just made me rethink the shopping.  I spend only about 2,500 baht a month, on average, on food stuffs in Thailand, so that's about four months' worth.  Products in Laos start looking cheaper all the time.  I'll just have to live without corn flakes and other foreign/Thai foods--and hope for the best with the Lao equivalents.

So just to be clear I am still OK getting a visa in Savannakhet, and if they say no I can enter Thailand because I won't have any Visa Exemption stamps. And have 30 days to leave.

I know a Filipino who has been doing border runs for about a year. Dose that mean she can't do any more? Or she can do 2 more?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is not clear yet. Strictly by the order it would mean that but they may come out with immigration procedures that allow more than two if the entries are not done as a border hop starting from here.

Two of my friends who live in Laos came across at NongKhai in the past two days, the officers stamped them in and warned them that they will only get two visa exempt entries per year.

The foreigners who live in Laos are being told by the Thai Embassy there to obtain METV's. It sure seems like they could give these guys a three day entry stamp or a one day border pass so they could continue to come across and obtain medical services and shop in Thailand. 

Edited by Lee4Life
spelling & grammar
  • Like 2

Two of my friends who live in Laos came across at NongKhai in the past two days, the officers stamped them in and warned them that they will only get two visa exempt entries per year.
    The foreigners who live in Laos are being told by the Thai Embassy there to obtain METV's. It sure seems like the Thai Government could give these guys a three day entry stamp or a one day border pass so they could continue to come across and obtain medical services and shop in Thailand. 

I would like to think something will be done about this, much like suggested above.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Arrive from Poipet today. I can confirm they do also stamp 30 days instead 15days for visa exemption, twice per year. 
Did stay in Poipet only about 20 minuts. Our original plan was to go to Angkor Wat, but if we saw the hordes of Russisans we decided return same day, so after a quick beer and coffee stop we returned back without any problems only some short friendly talking with an older IO why i returned on same day. Told him i have flight ticket to KL later this months, so i need only 3 weeks more, and thats because i did already 2 visa extensions in the last months. This satisfied him, he not checked flight ticket or money. Only asked me what i working in Thailand because i staying long time, i answered no working sir i retired already, next question if i married with Thai, i  answered with yes, after he let me pass through with a smile. My history in pasport 2 Double Tourist Visas,  3 SETV, 7 Visa exemptions 6 by air, and 2 visa extensions all in between the last 2years.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:39 PM, phuketrichard said:

G 7 country passport holders get 30 days, land or flying in

Plus Russia, Mongolia and a few other countries in the region. But I wonder why they make this distinction. The vast majority of travelers from these countries fly in anyway so I don't really see the advantage here. Or my disadvantage as a non-G7 European as I get 30 days by plane anyway. I can't be bothered to sit in a minivan for hours just to do a borderrun.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:57 PM, overherebc said:

We are all aware that 99% of people now are being asked to show a visa prior to boarding for a flight to Thailand.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:03 PM, Lannig said:

Huh? I must be in the remaining 1% then.

Never happened to me and I fly to Thailand 3-4 times per year.

They never asked me for a visa, even when arriving on a one way ticket. I've been coming back to Thailand on a regular basis since 2010, mostly from Bali and the EU. In Singapore they once asked me for an onward ticket when flying to Jakarta but that's because Jakarta immigration tends to ask for it but I can't really imagine the same happening when flying to Bangkok. Next month will be my first SIN-BKK flight so I guess I'll find out.

5 minutes ago, AgentSmith said:

Plus Russia, Mongolia and a few other countries in the region. But I wonder why they make this distinction. The vast majority of travelers from these countries fly in anyway so I don't really see the advantage here. Or my disadvantage as a non-G7 European as I get 30 days by plane anyway. I can't be bothered to sit in a minivan for hours just to do a borderrun.

They never asked me for a visa, even when arriving on a one way ticket. I've been coming back to Thailand on a regular basis since 2010, mostly from Bali and the EU. In Singapore they once asked me for an onward ticket when flying to Jakarta but that's because Jakarta immigration tends to ask for it but I can't really imagine the same happening when flying to Bangkok. Next month will be my first SIN-BKK flight so I guess I'll find out.

On long haul flights you are likely to be asked more than on short flights within Asia as the cost lands on the airline if you are refused entry at your destination.

Good, I'm happy, this is a good step.

Next?  Bank statements to tourist visas, with maybe showing $2000 USD for the first and more for the second.

Then wait until the stamp at the airport is ONE 2017, and then the next stamp ZERO 2017 (In Thai, of course)

Thailand has no responsibility for visa-runners, so back to the home country.  

It would be easier if you could work in Thailand like in America, but I'm not going to hold my breath... 

Just now, overherebc said:

On long haul flights you are likely to be asked more than on short flights within Asia as the cost lands on the airline if you are refused entry at your destination.

I came in from Amsterdam without an onward ticket twice. You might be right but in practice since immigration can't be bothered to check anyway (once at DMK they asked me how long I planned to stay and when I answered I don't know they just laughed and let me in anyway) I guess airlines don't really care either. The chances of not being allowed into the country are close to zero. Again, Jakarta is another story so that's why they asked me that one time in Singapore. I must have entered Thailand about 30 times by now and they simply never asked..

12 minutes ago, AgentSmith said:

I came in from Amsterdam without an onward ticket twice. You might be right but in practice since immigration can't be bothered to check anyway (once at DMK they asked me how long I planned to stay and when I answered I don't know they just laughed and let me in anyway) I guess airlines don't really care either. The chances of not being allowed into the country are close to zero. Again, Jakarta is another story so that's why they asked me that one time in Singapore. I must have entered Thailand about 30 times by now and they simply never asked..

It's happening more and more all the time now. I was asked in Auckland, I had planned on a new visa but a delayed flight in screwed up a few of the plans including getting to the consulate.

On the way 'home' to Thailand the permission to board was granted by the supervisor, who was Thai,

( Thaiairways )he understood the previous multi O visas in my passport and knew I would get a 30 day VE giving me time to arrange to go to Penang. It was the first VE I've had for about 9 or 10 years.

Edited by overherebc
Always forget the c in Auckland