Why Are You In Thailand?

Bluecat

Earlier last year my reasons would've been different, but now it's due to a career change and to gain some valuable life experience (also really like Thailand :o). Not sure how long it'll last, but young enough to afford the risk - besides see this as a stepping stone to bigger and better things :D.

besides see this as a stepping stone to bigger and better things  :D.

What do you mean, Nat,... :o

can't a girl have any secrets? :D:D

ps actually it's not that exciting - just silly goals and ambitions :D

Well, bluecat, I am sure you already know, I am here because of my husband. I came to Thailand as a tourist and had no intention of staying. If I were not married to my husband I would in all likelihood not live here. Not saying that I hate it or anything like that but my family is halfway round the world and they are important to me. But, as a woman (and oftentimes a man) we all have to make choices, usually it is some sort of compromise. Well, our compromise is we live here but either I alone or both of us together go back to visit the family every year. Usually its me alone because of the expense involved. But to give my hubby his due he never grumbles about the expense, usually just about the time spent apart. :o

Not saying that I hate it or anything like that but my family is halfway round the world and they are important to me

Yes, Sbk, sometimes men in Thailand forget that for women, family is very important.

They think Thai women should be different.

Why?

Beats me,...

They are not,...

Besides, Sbk, you are quite an "outstanding" case because I did not see so many farang girls having the same "luck" than you.

Let's wait,... :o

bluecat...

I'm here because it makes me feel good, the nice climate, the beaches, nature's sights, easy living, the great and healthy food, low cost compared to Europe, lovely people, my dogs, etc... still can't get enough of this country

nuff said?

life's what you make of it :o

bluecat...

I'm here because it makes me feel good, the nice climate, the beaches, nature's sights, easy living, the great and healthy food, low cost compared to Europe, lovely people, my dogs, etc... still can't get enough of this country

nuff said?

life's what you make of it :D

Boyfriend, Elfe? :o

I've been in Asia 5 years, every year spending 3 months or so in Thailand. I love the climate, the people, the smiles, the relaxed attitudes, clean air.

I am leaving China to move to Thailand for a new job which I chose over other jobs in other countries that were offering a higher pay.

42 days left , not that I am counting. :o

also, bluecat, also... :o

Good reason, Elfe.

Happy to see that finally women are not THAT different than men,... :D

not the original reason though... if it wasn't for the other reasons why I like it here (as stated in my first post) I would never have stayed here that long and consequently never would have met my boyfriend either. so my case is quite different from yours sbk!

and bluecat: some women are VERY different from some men :D

Let's see, I met a most delicious Thai man last December, visited him in April, he asked me to marry him, I said yes, we have visited 2 architects and one home being built, as mentioned in another thread, building home on farm/land his momma gave us. So soon, I hopefully can be rid of the "visit" every 6 months. Also, have interview with BIG law firm in Bangkok (a level of independence is a must for me) . I love Thailand, you know, one of those "inside" feelings and you kinda can't explain it. Or maybe, when I am there (I am back in Canada), whether wandering Isaan (I am just not a beach girl) or with my guy, I just feel like I am home. Anyway, after 8 years with the same firm in Vangroovy (aka Vancouver), it's time for a change, and i just hope that this firm in Bangkok will say yes to me. Of course, the food is excellent (I make som tam and tom yum in Canada, the extent of my Thai cooking skills), the climate/heat I love (rain or no rain), it's ###### inexpensive (for me) and I miss all the dogs (15 of them) at momma's house (uh, palace?) and I miss my Thai family. Simply (and maybe it should have been all I said), when in Thailand, I am happy.

Now I just have to figure out those ###### visas.

Sassie

Get married Sassie, makes life alot easier to live here....

I know it can be a big step but most Thai people feel that if you are living together it is the same thing as being married. Where I live alot of couples have the big wedding and never bother going to the amphur to register their marriage. This includes my husband's parents who got legally married 5 years ago (tax reasons mainly). I told my husband, "So, all these years I have been calling you a b*st*rd I have been right!" Somehow, he didn't think it was funny :o

And I almost forgot, I haven't ever met anyone here with those ball bearings (?) THERE! My goodness, that makes for an exciting time. But, bless my guy anyway, who would've thought someone would tattoo my name (and soon to be face) on one's self?

Sasster

Get married Sassie, makes life alot easier to live here....

Do you know the saying, Sbk?

You do not know happiness up to the time you get married.

And then..., it's too late.

Does not apply to everybody though,... :o:D

Hi bluecat,

this is an interesting question. I will answer regarding my personnal case. I am here for the business. For me, as I've started my professionnal life last year, it was more important to get a great job first and then, I would think of an eventual boyfriend. Maybe it sounds odd, maybe it sounds French.... :o

For me, as I've started my professionnal life last year, it was more important to get a great job first

Within one year after you graduated you manage to find a job in Thailand.

We see quite a few postings from men wanting to work in Thailand, was it the same for you or the job you got just happened to be based in Thailand?

For me, as I've started my professionnal life last year, it was more important to get a great job first

Within one year after you graduated you manage to find a job in Thailand.

We see quite a few postings from men wanting to work in Thailand, was it the same for you or the job you got just happened to be based in Thailand?

I had not really the wish to work in Thailand but when I applied for the job, the only thing I paid attention to was that position was out of France.

So, the country was not my first goal, if the job would have been based somewhere else, I would have applied anyway. Finally, I am really happy being there, because in fond in love with the country. :o

what about you?

Great question, Blue Cat...often the first thing we ask other farangs when we meet. My story? I'll try to put it in a nutshell.....I left the USA in November of 1999 to join my daughter and her boyfriend in Indonesia (at their invitation)--they had recently begun a SE Asia backpacking trip. I told family and friends I'd be gone for 3-6 months...well, by the time I got there, my daughter had broken up with her boyfriend so it was just the two of us, traveling around for nearly a year (wow!! what an amazing time that was!). Then I continued on my own for nearly another year, and then the $$$$ ran out so I needed to work. Being a teacher by trade, having no desire to go back to the USA, and loving Thailand, it was only logical that I find a job here--teaching English of course :D Oh, I forgot--went back to the USA on September 8, 2001 for 3 months to sell all my stuff...what a culture shock THAT was!!!! I felt like an alien on a new planet! So I'm happy to be here in the Land of Smiles--can't imagine when I'll go back "home" :o

I'm not in Thailand permanently yet, but I will be in two years. My husband and I have decided to retire to LOS. We are both farang, but have friends with Thai wives who lived in the US for some 30 years. We have been there and love it. It feels more like home to us than the US does. I will probably end up in Korat, even though I like Chiang Mai better. We can always vacation up there!

I'm not in Thailand permanently yet, but I will be in two years. My husband and I have decided to retire to LOS. We are both farang, but have friends with Thai wives who lived in the US for some 30 years. We have been there and love it. It feels more like home to us than the US does. I will probably end up in Korat, even though I like Chiang Mai better. We can always vacation up there!

I was lobbying for Chaingmai as our retirement destination, but we ended up building closer to my wife's home village in Khorat. But that's a hop, skip, and a jump away after living in Texas! :o

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forum aranya, hope you enjoy the forum & find it helpful.

What was it like growing up in thailand as a non thai, did you got to thai school or international, do you feel more thai than non thai. Where are your parents from etc so many questions, but as an english woman married to a thai man, i would be interested to know your thoughts on living as a non thai kid in thailand, as one day my own (yet to be had) half thai children will be growing up there & I just wonder what it will be like for them.

You don't have to answer any questions about yourself if you don't want but personally your situation sounds too interesting not to ask! :o

Boo

Thanks so much for the welcome, Boo ! I understand your interest in my (actually not that interesting :o ) « situation » so I will try to answer your questions as best I can and as consisely as possible (if you have more questions, feel free to drop me a line via PM or email, or ask more via this thread)

Growing up a non-Thai Eurasian in Thailand was an overall enriching personal experience for me. Had I been half Thai, as your yet to be had children will be, I am sure it would have been the same. For one thing, I was exposed to more than one culture. I went to a non-Thai school but interracted a lot with Thai adults and kids outside of school. This permitted me to be able to make friends easily with Thais and non-Thais alike. I also ended speaking several languages, which is always useful. The downpart, at least in my own case, is this feeling I still have sometime of being a blend of all these different cultures that make me but not being able to identify fully with anyone of them. When I’m asked where I’m from, I often have a moment of hesitation :D

Cheers!:D

Finally, after 5 years of living in China and just visiting Thailand for weeks or a few months at a time, I moved to Thailand yesterday. I start work tomorrow and move into my house in a couple of weeks.

Hooray! :D

My new adventure is just starting, :o

but I know it will be great.

Hi and welcome, Gisele! :o 5 years in China!! That is fascinating! I hope sometime soon you will have the time to tell us a bit about life in China :D In which city/region were you? How did you like it?