Bangkok Bank Debit Cards - Update

11 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Got a response from the iBanking inquiries.  As expected, and as others have reported here,  branches can still order Visa logo cards from BKK.  The new guy at my branch clearly got a different memo.....  LOL. 

596f9803723da_bkkinmailresp-Copy.JPG.b786f01a5eff44828a1d271325e6e0f2.JPG

Unionpay are probably letting them use the network for free or at a fraction of visa rates for the first few years until they gain adoption and eventually dominance...... 

Them they will jack up the rates when everyone is already using it and the introductory contract expires... 

2 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Unionpay are probably letting them use the network for free or at a fraction of visa rates for the first few years until they gain adoption and eventually dominance...... 

Them they will jack up the rates when everyone is already using it and the introductory contract expires... 

At which time these wretched cards will still be completely unusable at retail outlets, of course.

• Like 1

My local Bangkok Bank branch told me they have no Visa cards (Mai Mee, kaa) in stock and tried to sell me the Union Pay ATM card. When I refused they offered me a 'special' Visa ATM card for I think 890 baht (something close to that). Told them no thanks. Bunch of hosers. They try to send me to the ATM when I go to the counter for withdrawals...but I tell them the same thing....(Mai Mee Khrab !)

2 hours ago, speedtripler said:

No doubt that's surely part of it....but there is more to it.  The card is really a "dual branded" network card of Thai Payment Network (TPN) and UnionPay.   TPN is a joint venture between Bangkok Bank and UnionPay....each owns 50%  of the TPN.

TPN is to be used for local transactions (i.e., within Thailand only) and would not have to use another network such as Visa, Mastercard, etc., to process the transaction and therefore also share some of the profit associated with each transaction with Visa or Mastercard.

When not needing to get another network such as Visa/Mastercard to process the transaction and being able to use the TPN instead, Bangkok Bank makes more profit on each transaction since they do not have to share any profit with another card network other than UnionPay who owns half of TPN as mentioned earlier.

So, if you have a Bangkok Bank UnionPay card, look closely at it and you'll see two card network logos...TPN and UnionPay.

Capture.JPG.f73825f9b24043ec5aee1e615c7a90cc.JPG

• Like 1

Believe there are actually two types of UnionPay cards available - the one above is same as mine so believe it is the Thai version for international use - but they also have a Chinese version available for use for those that need to use inside China as was asked if needed that.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe there are actually two types of UnionPay cards available - the one above is same as mine so believe it is the Thai version for international use - but they also have a Chinese version available for use for those that need to use inside China as was asked if needed that.

Unionpay is  still known as "CUP" or "CHINA-UNION-PAY"  on a lot of sites

Bkk bank  dropped the China  but I think it's the same company

8 hours ago, cincytwboy said:

My experience, I just walked in and told to teller that their Union debit card sucks and I wanted a VISA debit card instead. The teller just smiled and replaced it with a VISA one promptly, no questions asked.

First time, me too.  I did give the UP card a try for a weekend, then took it back and got another Visa (Rabbit).  This time they were hard over on the UP card, and I wasn't in the mood to argue with the little pin head that day.   I'm going back to the branch on Monday with a bit more resolve.

Just now, 55Jay said:

First time, me too.  I did give the UP card a try for a weekend, then took it back and got another Visa (Rabbit).  This time they were hard over on the UP card, and I wasn't in the mood to argue with the little pin head that day.   I'm going back to the branch on Monday with a bit more resolve.

You need Balls of steel to get a visa debit card from BKK Bank thesedays..... :smile:

Don't take no for an answer and you will probably get one on the spot, in the worst case they will tell you they have to order one but I suspect they have some on site and the ordering from BKK is a last tactic to push the union cards onto people who don't or can't wait wait for a week on a proper card that works... 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello all 

Just want to check on a few things

If my Best 1 Visa Debit card is Eaten by machine or the Magnetic strip fails I will presume it is going to be like extracting teeth to get a new Rabbit Visa Debit card 

? If I was to get one would it still be linked to my existing account (as I have Internet Banking & Automatic Car payment Deductions coming out of it )

I was also told that Debit cards with any Visa logo is good for worldwide use / Booking airline tickets & hotels around the world 

8 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Hello all 

Just want to check on a few things

If my Best 1 Visa Debit card is Eaten by machine or the Magnetic strip fails I will presume it is going to be like extracting teeth to get a new Rabbit Visa Debit card 

? If I was to get one would it still be linked to my existing account (as I have Internet Banking & Automatic Car payment Deductions coming out of it )

I was also told that Debit cards with any Visa logo is good for worldwide use / Booking airline tickets & hotels around the world 

My Bangkok Bank Be1st Visa debit card was eaten by a Bangkok Bank ATM last December when they were already well into pushing their new UnionPay card.  I got a replacement Be1st Visa card without arguing at the main Silom branch on Silom Rd in Bangkok as I told them the minute I set down that I want a Visa card and not a UnionPay card....and they gave me a replacement Bt1st Visa Rabbit card without argument.  And it was a new number.

Every replacement debit card the wife and I have got over the years is a new number.   Since the cards are good for 10 years it hasn't been an issue for me....plus I didn't have it linked anywhere for online payment/direct debit.

Summary: new card, new number, you'll have to relink you payments.

On 15/10/2017 at 9:59 PM, Pib said:

My Bangkok Bank Be1st Visa debit card was eaten by a Bangkok Bank ATM last December when they were already well into pushing their new UnionPay card.  I got a replacement Be1st Visa card without arguing at the main Silom branch on Silom Rd in Bangkok as I told them the minute I set down that I want a Visa card and not a UnionPay card....and they gave me a replacement Bt1st Visa Rabbit card without argument.  And it was a new number.

Every replacement debit card the wife and I have got over the years is a new number.   Since the cards are good for 10 years it hasn't been an issue for me....plus I didn't have it linked anywhere for online payment/direct debit.

Summary: new card, new number, you'll have to relink you payments.

It's impossible to get the same number on a new debit card as they are already printed out when you get to the branch 

33 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

It's impossible to get the same number on a new debit card as they are already printed out when you get to the branch 

Yeap....the cards come without your name on them....not meant to retain the same number....a Thailand thing.  A stack of cards already at the branch ready for reissue...and the bank has to do is activate them and tie them to your account.

Now, you can get a Thai bank debit card with your name on it, but it's a special order with the bank...don't know if when you have to replacement them that the same number is retained or not.

But for most farangs they are use to getting replacement cards from their home country bank which does retain the same number and has their name on it.   Or in the U.S. that's how it works over the years with my U.S. debit cards.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pib said:

But for most farangs they are use to getting replacement cards from their home country bank which does retain the same number and has their name on it.   Or in the U.S. that's how it works over the years with my U.S. debit cards.

Ditto with UK credit and debit cards in my experience. The only thing that changes (apart from the expiry date) is the 3-digit security code on the signature strip.

Bangkok Bank ATM at Phuket main branch  swallowed my wife`s Be1st Visa card 5-6  weeks ago and because she as me go abroad once or twice a year she want to have a new Be1st card with Visa. Not a chance in Phuket. She called Bangkok Bank HQ not a chance so she decided there and then to cancel also her credit card with Bangkok Bank and took out her savings and then opened both savings account and payroll account in Kasikorn Bank.......A call ... without customers to Bangkok Bank no need for either Union card or for that sake Be1st.

• 6 months later...
On 12/22/2016 at 3:02 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Like this one:

besmart.jpg

My idea was that you have a choice?

They don't issue these cards anymore. Time to get this thread back alive. 

I have a Visa card from BB, but I'm always told at an ATM that there's a new card and i should go for it. But i keep mine as long as possible.

The new one seems to be a a joke. 

Does anybody know if BB still issues anything else than their card that doesn't allow you to pay, or do any online banking? 

Edited by jenny2017

43 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

They don't issue these cards anymore. Time to get this thread back alive. 

I have a Visa card from BB, but I'm always told at an ATM that there's a new card and i should go for it. But i keep mine as long as possible.

The new one seems to be a a joke. 

Does anybody know if BB still issues anything else than their card that doesn't allow you to pay, or do any online banking? 

Short answer is; NO.

My BB debit card (visa) expires next month, then that will be replayed with a new Mickey Mouse debit card.

Thai banks don`t give a rat`s about Farlang customers, complain all they want, it will fall on deaf ears and nothing will change. I have no doubts all the other Thai banks will soon follow suit.

Edited by cyberfarang

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

Not sure what you mean as the card is not used for computer online banking - that works fine regardless of the debit cards you might have - and now there is no fee for online banking transfers/payments so that is a big improvement.  Perhaps you mean UnionPay is not accepted as card payment by most merchants (and that is very true) - but if they offer payment by bank transfer as many, including Lazada do, there is no problem and no fee charged.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/05/2018 at 4:34 PM, lopburi3 said:

Not sure what you mean as the card is not used for computer online banking - that works fine regardless of the debit cards you might have - and now there is no fee for online banking transfers/payments so that is a big improvement.  Perhaps you mean UnionPay is not accepted as card payment by most merchants (and that is very true) - but if they offer payment by bank transfer as many, including Lazada do, there is no problem and no fee charged.

I only pay lazada by PayPal now because when they cock up an order the refund process is too tedious 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I just got 'caught out' by the problem with Unionpay cards.  My Bangkok Bank Visa debit card expires at the end of this month and I tried to get a new Visa card from my local bank branch.  They flat out refused to confirm that such a card still existed and gave me a Unionpay debit card free of charge.

Well, I knew it wouldn't work to buy goods online, but I forgot that my Paypal account was linked to my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card....  Tried to buy something on Lazada using my Paypal account, but the purchase was declined 'cos the system tried to charge to my old Visa debit card, (which was cut into pieces by Bangkok Bank).

So now I have 2 problems.  I have to find a bank that will allow me to open a new account (no WP etc), will issue me with a Visa debit card that can be used online, and then I need to link that new card and bank account to my Paypal account.

<deleted> and double <deleted>!  Bangkok Bank is the spawn of the devil ????