Air pressure in tyres for pickup truck

ghworker2010

I'm clueless about the best air pressure for my pickup if I have a full load in the back of my pickup plus 2 adults and a child. Whats the best PSI? 

Should I top up /check the air with all the stuff loaded in the back or do it before hand? Or doesn't it matter. My pickup is 2 yrs old and thus probably should think about replacing them in 2017. 

thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recommended pressures for the standard size tyres are usually printed on the door pillar of the drivers door, they are certainly in the owner's handbook.

There should be normal and heavy load pressures, if not bang an extra 5-10psi in the back for heavily loaded (a ton of mangoes). Do not exceed the pressure moulded into the tyre side-wall, these are the absolute maximum pressure for the tyre.

You should check when tyres are cold (a short drive to the garage won't matter) and unloaded.

To Crossy's point, the recommended tire pressure is in the owners manual but is clearly embossed on the side of the tire with all the other tire specs. One should never over-inflate their tires because they have a heavier load. That could lead to a blow out. Tire load capability is rated in an "Alpha" letter. Most lights trucks are factory installed with either "C", "D" or "E" ratings.  "E" rating carries the most load capacity which means it has stronger sidewalls and can endure heavier loads. Typical tire pressure is appx 35 to 36psi cold. Do not ever load the truck and then add air under the assumption they "visually appear" low. That is quite dangerous.

Honestly one should estimate the load weight and check prior. I know that is not always practical. 

Be Safe.

8 minutes ago, JAFO said:

To Crossy's point, the recommended tire pressure is in the owners manual but is clearly embossed on the side of the tire with all the other tire specs. One should never over-inflate their tires because they have a heavier load. That could lead to a blow out. Tire load capability is rated in an "Alpha" letter. Most lights trucks are factory installed with either "C", "D" or "E" ratings.  "E" rating carries the most load capacity which means it has stronger sidewalls and can endure heavier loads. Typical tire pressure is appx 35 to 36psi cold. Do not ever load the truck and then add air under the assumption they "visually appear" low. That is quite dangerous.

Honestly one should estimate the load weight and check prior. I know that is not always practical. 

Be Safe.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, the correct pressures for loaded AND unloaded are on a sticker somewhere on the body frame when you open the drivers door...

The pressure moulded into the tyre sidewall is the "maximum continuous inflation pressure" never to be exceeded, it is NOT the recommended pressure.

Everything you ever wanted to know about sidewall information

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/consumer/learn/how-to-read-your-tire-sidewall-markings.html

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The pressure moulded into the tyre sidewall is the "maximum continuous inflation pressure" never to be exceeded, it is NOT the recommended pressure.

https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/consumer/learn/how-to-read-your-tire-sidewall-markings.html

Correct.....

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Correct.....

IIRC the words "maximum continuous inflation pressure" used to be moulded into the sidewall next to the numbers, at least they were in the UK in the dark and distant past.

EDIT Do you ever get that feeling of déja-vu?

3 minutes ago, transam said:
10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Correct.....

Exactly, 

As I said the owners manual will state all which is why I said to "Crossy's point". But the embossed sidewall rating will give you tire pressure and rating for standard use. Never load a truck up then look at a tire and say "Wow that looks low and then just add 5 to 10psi more to be safe. ABSOLUTELY wrong. What if rating is 35 PSI at max load weight and you say it looks low and you add 10 psi more so it looks right. Could be 50 psi or more and way beyond its capacity. 

This is why I also said you should always estimate a load and check the tires. Its like people that carry 1 ton worth of stuff in a 1/2 ton truck. Springs, shocks and tires are probably not optimum, sure you can do it for a short run but a long haul. I surely wouldn't especially with passengers.

Anyway OP, I do not want to argue with the other posters. You should consider the load and read your owners manual assuming your tires are the OEM units supplied. If not, then there will could be a variance. 

Again good luck and safe travels

The embossed pressure is NOT the "... rating for standard use  ...", it is the absolute maximum pressure permitted, never to be exceeded.

Which is why is stated in my post "Do not exceed the pressure moulded into the tyre side-wall, these are the absolute maximum pressure for the tyre." as a rider to my "... bang an extra 5-10psi in the back ... ".

Anyway, the advice is to read the handbook or consult the door pillar markings upon which we are all agreed.

Our OP has a two year old truck, certainly on OEM tyres so no issues with non-standard pressures, but his post does bode the question "has he ever actually checked the tyre pressures in the last two years?" :(

What Crossy said!

However I once saw one of those High speed delivery pickups (the once with lowered front end so the hole vehicle acts as a gigantic spoiler) at a gas station and the Thai driver was pumping up the pressure to almost double what I used, don't remember exactly but I think it was somewhere around 60 psi.

Edited by AlQaholic

I have a Mitsubishi Triton 4-dr running 18-inch wheels. Based on  years of experience, I use 30 lbs

in front and 33 in rear tires. More pressure than that and I get a stacatto wheel bounce on potholes.

Less pressure can result in premature tire wear. 

Just my case. Your case may vary.

Edited by BradinAsia
Do I need a reason?

Long time ago, a friend who had always had bicycles bought an old VW 412 and we were driving down the highway at 100kph.

Huge BANG!. The front tire exploded taking the entire fender off with it. He manages to pull the car over and I asked how much pressure in the tires man? Well 100lbs he says. That's what I always put in my bicycle. We quickly let the excess out of them before continuing.

Too funny!

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

IIRC the words "maximum continuous inflation pressure" used to be moulded into the sidewall next to the numbers, at least they were in the UK in the dark and distant past.

EDIT Do you ever get that feeling of déja-vu?

Many times ... and you still get plonkers giving the wrong answer

And if you are changing tyres at 3-years old ... can you chuck the old ones my way please ... if they won't fit  I could buy quite a few bowls  of rice after selling them on.:smile:

Edited by JAS21

What Crossy said.

Also.

If you're too lazy to check the air pressure, the wear on the tread pattern can give an indication if you're over or under inflated. If the wear is in the centre then you are over inflated. If the wear is on the inner and outer edges then you are under inflated.

5 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Many times ...

And if you are changing tyres at 3-years old ... can you chuck the old ones my way please ... if they won't fit  I could buy quite a few bowls  of rice after selling them on.:smile:

Nooo, I am first....:stoner:

If you open the drivers door, on the inside wall of your upright pillar you will usually have the manufacturers recommended pressure. (usually next to where your door lock engages on a Toyota)

However, this is Thailand...I once went and bought a shed load of floor tiles, before loading the truck they pumped the tyres up to 95PSI!

Go figure! We "Sailed " back from the tile shop with about 3 Tons of tiles in the back - The front of the car was pointing at the sky, I couldn't see out of the windows, but the tyre pressure I would say was rather FIRM!

Most pickups will be 32-35 PSI under normal load measured at cold - add about  3-5 PSI when your tyres are warm / hot.

Edited by Generalchaos

Thread reminds me of a friend at the time coming round to show off his new big wheel Vigo straight from the local dealer,  he was disappointed with the ride, on checking his tyres all between 58 psi to 60 psi,  the spare 20 psi.  :laugh:

I like to have 32 psi in the front and less in the back unless I'm hauling a heavy load. The back end in a two door pickup is very light and too much pressure in the back makes it jittery on potholed roads. The last time I had it serviced at the Isuzu dealer, they put 32 psi all the way around. Quite honestly I have not been able to tell any difference, so I think 32 psi is OK.