Poll: Your predictions about baht bus fare increase for the new year!

Jingthing

Poll: Your predictions about baht bus fare increase (or not) for the new year!  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There has been some "news" that sounded more credible than rumors about the baht bus fares being raised from 10 to 20 baht with the new year.
Yet there is a lot of uncertainty about that.
This poll is to share your SPECIFIC PREDICTIONS about exactly how this will shake out.

I added details about possible DOUBLE PRICING issues because there have been lots of rumors going around about that. Remember years ago there was widespread and more or less "official" double pricing, 10 baht for farangs, and 5 for Thais.

Back then if a farang was traveling with a Thai, often double pricing was enforced on both, sometimes bizarrely by Thai partners. (Yuck.)

No doubt if the fares go up to 20 and even 40 for long rides there will be some noise that it's too expensive for many local Thais
The poll becomes invalid soon with the new year when we know what's actually going to change, or perhaps (hopefully for riders) NOT change.

If the "news" we've heard turns out to be true, that could be VERY SOON.

Interestingly none of that "news" went to any detail about possible changes in LONG RIDE fares (currently 20) or the thorny issue of DOUBLE PRICING.

Edited by Jingthing

If it doesn't go up for long rides that will be the end of long rides. The other issue is songthauws no longer operating as taxis and metered cars being used for that. It would flood the bath bus routes. Whatever is done by this gov will be to the detriment of ordinary Thais and the Thai economy. 

41 minutes ago, pegman said:

If it doesn't go up for long rides that will be the end of long rides. The other issue is songthauws no longer operating as taxis and metered cars being used for that. It would flood the bath bus routes. Whatever is done by this gov will be to the detriment of ordinary Thais and the Thai economy. 

Yeah I heard that other rumor too. Something like the trucks would no longer be allowed to accept charter business and also something about forcing them to keep set routes. That kind of makes sense. If you're raising the fares the idea that you may have to pay two or even three fares to complete a one way trip because you're never sure if they're going to turn off before you expect, etc. kind of ruins the system. That's why more organized bus systems have TRANSFERS included in a time period. Obviously there won't be transfers on baht buses. I get your point that fewer buses would be needed of the charters go away but not sure about long rides going away. If they're paid more, the drivers might be OK in completing their journeys in a predictable way. 

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Haha looks like most people decided  fares will not change despite it having already been announced!

I wonder how many long-term expats (presumably those most likely to vote in the survey) are dependent on baht buses for any significant share of their transport needs. I rarely use them anymore so I chose the "grumpy expat option" when voting.

1 minute ago, Suradit69 said:

I wonder how many long-term expats (presumably those most likely to vote in the survey) are dependent on baht buses for any significant share of their transport needs. I rarely use them anymore so I chose the "grumpy expat option" when voting.

You are right, me too wrt using them.

A bike or a walk seems easier, the baht buses are often too full for my liking.

But I expect the fares to go up as announced

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

I expect a lot of confusion and arguments. Many unknowing/unbelieving customers throwing in ten baht and walking away; some to get knocked to the ground for their lack of knowing the price has risen.

All that is needed is a notice in the bus what the new fare is.

Make me laugh 555. Where you hear bus money go up?

You put thing on this anonymous forum but you forgets people who matter read this. Not talking about you farangs on long holidays or long visa you don't really matter (sorry those with citizen you matter).  so you say silly thingngs like bus fares go up no ttruthin it be people who look at this think of maybe it be good idea to charge farang more. 

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah I heard that other rumor too. Something like the trucks would no longer be allowed to accept charter business and also something about forcing them to keep set routes. That kind of makes sense. If you're raising the fares the idea that you may have to pay two or even three fares to complete a one way trip because you're never sure if they're going to turn off before you expect, etc. kind of ruins the system. That's why more organized bus systems have TRANSFERS included in a time period. Obviously there won't be transfers on baht buses. I get your point that fewer buses would be needed of the charters go away but not sure about long rides going away. If they're paid more, the drivers might be OK in completing their journeys in a predictable way. 

In my earliest days I heard the word "grits" which always stuck in my memory.  It sounds so simple and yet mysteriously evocative of a rugged, pioneer spirit.

So when I was in the US, in a "Shoneys" with some American friends, and saw it on the menu I excitedly and enthusiastically explained to them that I wanted to try some.

They smiled, slightly uneasily. 

It was simple.  I was not filled with a rugged, pioneer spirit. 

But one has to try to live the dream, doesn't one?

29 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Make me laugh 555. Where you hear bus money go up?

Thaivisa News. 

I have no idea if it's really going to happen, or not.

Neither do you.

As it was announced that it will happen starting next year, we'll all likely know very soon.

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

Wasn't there something in the news about the drivers being told not to do private hire as they're not licenced as taxi? they might try to make it up by putting up price somhow

The talk about stopping charters really fits with the "news" of the possible fare increase. The drivers make a lot of money with charters, especially in high season, so if they really couldn't do charters anymore it would mean a pretty severe pay cut.

7 minutes ago, Enoon said:

In my earliest days I heard the word "grits" which always stuck in my memory.  It sounds so simple and yet mysteriously evocative of a rugged, pioneer spirit.

So when I was in the US, in a "Shoneys" with some American friends, and saw it on the menu I excitedly and enthusiastically explained to them that I wanted to try some.

They smiled, slightly uneasily. 

It was simple.  I was not filled with a rugged, pioneer spirit. 

But one has to try to live the dream, doesn't one?

It's basically a kind of POLENTA. In itself little flavor but it can be jazzed up with seasoning, butter, cheese, and some specialty dishes like shrimp 'n grits. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Haha looks like most people decided  fares will not change despite it having already been announced!

That is a very understandable POV at this point in time. I also feel -- I'll believe it when I see it (fare rise) but accept that it may really happen. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Thaivisa News. 

I have no idea if it's really going to happen, or not.

Neither do you.

As it was announced that it will happen starting next year, we'll all likely know very soon.

Cheers. 

I read same not news it came from another thread someone say he heard maybe fare go up unconfirmed. From then all asumed all made up 5555 now this. As thai think we would have heard now if fare rise in new year. Not happened

Just now, jeab1980 said:

I read same not news it came from another thread someone say he heard maybe fare go up unconfirmed. From then all asumed all made up 5555 now this. As thai think we would have heard now if fare rise in new year. Not happened

Well, that's really fine. That's why I started this poll thread. For people to express their PREDICTIONS about whether this is really going to happen or not, and if it happens going further into predicted DETAILS about any potential change, as far as long rides and double pricing. Until we do know, your prediction is as valid as anyone elses!

5 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I take baht buses pretty much daily. Usually from Jomtien to my gym soi headed down the hill then afterwards into Pattaya and back.  It forces me to do a lot of walking which has, when combined with the gym most days, gotten me in much better shape than when I moved here 3 years ago. It is probably time for me to get a bike regardless of any fare increase.

No charters ? Thats just stupid..

How do you think about 90-95% of people who live in Pattaya move

their stuff from room to room?...Sorry but Taxis would not get the job

done..

And the reason for no charters would be??? There could be NO reason

just made up senseless bureaucracy....

Pattayas Baht buses are fantastic just they way they are...

There should be no complaints about them from any one

paying such a small price...

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Charters could switch to car taxis. As far as truck hauling that could be done by people with trucks.

Next ...

Why change any thing ? 

Are you a taxi owner or what?

There are plenty of Taxis already...Download grab taxi a look for yourself..

The baht buses work fantastic,There is no problem with them..

Why change any thing ? 
Are you a taxi owner or what?
There are plenty of Taxis already...Download grab taxi a look for yourself..
The baht buses work fantastic,There is no problem with them..

You misunderstood. I'm not advocating any specific changes. Just found your reasons why they couldn't happen ridiculous.