Adsl Problems

lsglsg51

I started having a problem recently where some time-out would occur with the ISP's DNS if the connection were left idle for a long time.

I could not ping (or access) www.yahoo.com, but I could ping (and access) the numeric address (yahoo.com=216.109.112.135 and yahoo.co.th=66.94.234.13)

I had recently read about OpenDNS in a computer magazine, inserted their DNS server addresses in the TCP/IP configuration tab for the port, and no more problems.

See: http://www.opendns.com for more details. It's free, and it's fairly easy to set-up.

I started having a problem recently where some time-out would occur with the ISP's DNS if the connection were left idle for a long time.

I could not ping (or access) www.yahoo.com, but I could ping (and access) the numeric address (yahoo.com=216.109.112.135 and yahoo.co.th=66.94.234.13)

I had recently read about OpenDNS in a computer magazine, inserted their DNS server addresses in the TCP/IP configuration tab for the port, and no more problems.

See: http://www.opendns.com for more details. It's free, and it's fairly easy to set-up.

Thanks for that. I have known TOT's DNS servers have problems for a long time and I was changing my servers when my lookups stopped working or got slow but I was always having to switch back and forth. OpenDNS works great and now I can just leave it alone.

This is from their FAQ

How do I start using OpenDNS?

Change your DNS settings to the OpenDNS servers:

Thats all there is to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had TOT ADSL problems from when I had it installed...usually 3-4 days not available per month. Recently the service was not available for 6 days!!! In despair as the TOT people only come when they want I tried looking at my machine for possible solutions. I have a C: hard drive cleaner...used that. Also there are various Windows XP utilities than can be used to inprove internet connectivity. I used those too, and lo...the internet came blazing back, high speed and etc. I was convinced that no internet was a TOT ADSL problem...had both DSL and Internet signal lights on the modem burning brightly.

So...try looking at your installed software to solve internet connection problems. The 1100 TOT helpline people should be aware but they are obviously not...TIT...stupid fcuks...

Thanks for that. I have known TOT's DNS servers have problems for a long time and I was changing my servers when my lookups stopped working or got slow but I was always having to switch back and forth. OpenDNS works great and now I can just leave it alone.

This is from their FAQ

How do I start using OpenDNS?

Change your DNS settings to the OpenDNS servers:

Thats all there is to it.

I looked at their website, mostly to find out what they have to gain by providing a fast DNS server.

Then irony struck. I put the laptop to sleep, woke it up, tried to get back to OpenDNS.org - cannot find site! Tried google.com - not found. Typed in the DNS servers from the above ThaiVisa post that was still open in the browser window. Bingo, everything is back to working :o

TOT does have its fair share of DNS problems, and it's definitely good to have these around. They are also way faster than TOTs DNS servers, I can already tell that. My God they are fast... when I type in a website address, it usually takes a while to find, but with OpenDNS it's instant.

The best thing - it's easy and free. The minute they start to annoy me, throw up advertisements etc, I can dump them by just removing the above entries... excellent.

I have these set on my local machine for now, if it's good I will set them in the router as well.

Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated!

Edited by nikster

If I have left my computer on overnight I sometimes need to refresh the DNS.

Start/Run/cmd/ "ipconfig /flushdns"

The last bit in quotes is all one command in the black cmd box, without the quotes.