NO, not a Retirement/Marriage-VISA, Extension of stay it is!!!

3 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

You can get a conversion of your visa ENTRY  and you can get a visa on arrival (only for nationals of a few countries) and I suppose you can get these exotic multi-year visas, but the visas most people seek cannot be obtained within the country.

Loss of face seems to cause some people to throw hissy fits.

Actually - it is a real O visa, based on fulfilling the immigration office's requirements as a retiree -- and lasts 3 months.  You could, in theory exit Thailand and not extend it, but that's an unlikely scenario. 

I agree, it's kinda splitting hairs, but it does re-inforce the necessity of correct nomenclature -- even in the face of the ignorance of first-time visitors and even a lot of the staff of thai embassies around the world, and immigration offices in Thailand. It does actually matter when there is a bit of a mess to sort out and the user is requesting help in here.

• Like 1

I am on a non-immigrant category "0" visa with a retirement extension and re-entry permit until July 2017. 

Every time I re-enter Thailand, the Arrival Card asked about my visa number, what is then the right answer to write? 

1.The original non-immigrant category "0" visa or

2. the retirement extension or

3. the re-entry permit? 

All of them have a specific number...

A visa is permission to enter and stay in the country. So I don't see why people cannot call it a visa extension. No, they are not getting a new visa but they are extending their stay which was granted from the visa in the first place.  It is common vernacular in most countries to say "extending my visa" . If you know what they are talking about especially since you are able to correct them, then perhaps just forgive people using different nomenclature for the same thing.

In fact the person could have been here on the same visa for 3 years. Yes, he/she gets the annual extension but it is still the same visa.  Yes, they are granted extensions, but what are they extending? They are extending their visa, which is the legal term for the document that gives permission to stay in a country.

I have been here for three years. I entered on a ninety day non immigrant O visa based on being married . The visa expired 2 years and nine months ago. Stayed for one year on married extention ant two on retirement. I have no valid visa.

6 minutes ago, yimlitnoy said:

I am on a non-immigrant category "0" visa with a retirement extension and re-entry permit until July 2017. 

Every time I re-enter Thailand, the Arrival Card asked about my visa number, what is then the right answer to write? 

3. the re-entry permit? 

3. The re-entry permit number.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, zeichen said:

A visa is permission to enter and stay in the country. So I don't see why people cannot call it a visa extension. No, they are not getting a new visa but they are extending their stay which was granted from the visa in the first place.  It is common vernacular in most countries to say "extending my visa" . If you know what they are talking about especially since you are able to correct them, then perhaps just forgive people using different nomenclature for the same thing.

In fact the person could have been here on the same visa for 3 years. Yes, he/she gets the annual extension but it is still the same visa.  Yes, they are granted extensions, but what are they extending? They are extending their visa, which is the legal term for the document that gives permission to stay in a country.

Not often you're wrong but in this case you're wrong again.

Eg, if you have  a  Non B visa issued outside Thailand and have your WP issued on that initial 90 day visa all is fine.

After 90 days your employer extends your permission to stay at Imm', starting the 90 day report system all is fine. If after 9 months you resign your WP is cancelled and your extension of stay is cancelled and you will be allowed 7 days to PUFO. That's because your original 90 day has expired and you changed to an extension.

If you have a multi entry Non O or B visa it will be valid for a year and every 90 days you fly out/fly in and get another 90 days.

If you resign or are terminated you cancel your work permit and can stay on YOUR visa doing 90 day day in out until you go out of Thailand and get another multi O like me based on being married.

6 hours ago, poohy said:

Full capitalisation would be shouting and i think the "bastions of correctness" would think you were being impolite and shouting:partytime2: on another strange note i did my 90 day report out of the area where my visa or to be correct EOS was issued  I fully expecting to be told to ......off   but not a blink of an eye from the same woman who told me i couldn't do it there  3 months earlier...

i keep my caps on often as one of my programs require it,, im not shouting and in fact i doubt you can even here me i have a computer that speaks and it doesnt get any louder with caps,,, just as #@%^&$# isnt cursing its just random symbols

3. The re-entry permit number.

Yes, but your visa expires 90 days after entry. After that you no longer have a valid visa. People constantly complain about being pedantic. If you wish to get the correct reply to a question be specific. Nationality, entry port, visa exempt etc. Why ask a question and moan if you can't be bothered to clearly state your situation?

15 minutes ago, MANFROMBOCA said:

And this is what bothers you ??? does it keep you up at night ,,, i usually understand what they are talking about by the jist of their post,,, by the way are you aretired english teacher ??

I suppose you direct this post to me, the OP?? This answer you give, is so typical for so many people, and they all have in common that they just refuse to "see the light in the tunnel" or to wish to understand that knowledge is not a bad thing...

No I stay up at night for other reasons, more pleasable reasons, and this thing we are talking about does bother me a bit, because I see day after day, people making the very same mistakes..... i.e. look at you.. instead of trying to learn, you wrote this post to me..... WHY???

Glegolo

ps. Thank you so much..... but no, I am not qualified to be a teacher, I am a viking from Sweden, and we are more focused on violence and warfare, at least according to the series "Vikings"....:post-4641-1156694572:

7 hours ago, glegolo said:

Yes it is like UbonJoe says, when not even the employees at the Immigration offices knows the correct terms. VISA when it is in fact an Extension of stay, so sure not easy for common man to know this stuff.

BUT, there are too many people that just dont get´s it.. They see poster, after poster, after poster, saying to them.. it is wrong.... it is like this..... But they just dont have the strength to learn.....

No personally, I do not understand these people.. new country, new language, and new surroundings, and do not have the..."What"?? To try to use this excellent forum to learn finally....

Lazy it is what it is.....I think.... Lazy......

Glegolo

And here's another twist, an acquaintance tells everybody he has an official 'Approval to Retire in Thailand Document'. Again clearly the wrong words. 

1 minute ago, glegolo said:

I suppose you direct this post to me, the OP?? This answer you give, is so typical for so many people, and they all have in common that they just refuse to "see the light in the tunnel" or to wish to understand that knowledge is not a bad thing...

No I stay up at night for other reasons, more pleasable reasons, and this thing we are talking about does bother me a bit, because I see day after day, people making the very same mistakes..... i.e. look at you.. instead of trying to learn, you wrote this post to me..... WHY???

Glegolo

ps. Thank you so much..... but no, I am not qualified to be a teacher, I am a viking from Sweden, and we are more focused on violence and warfare, at least according to the series "Vikings"....:post-4641-1156694572:

why, because i like messing with the anal retentive bunch who think the know it all and cant bend a little and just help without condemning ,, it what i do when im bored or filling time until i go out and get 2 ladies for an hour or two,, and the vikings show is just a show and a bad one at that,, but thats just my opinion, and im a,  well thats not important nor do i need to reveal that

p.s. im sure you do a lot of help on this board  just lighten up a bit , you obviously understand what is being asked. so just be helpful and answer the question with a little side note correction,,,  no worries

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, yimlitnoy said:

3. the re-entry permit? 

The number on the re-entry permit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

But why do you have to produce a copy of the Visa you last entered the Kingdom with for every subsequent Extension if it is not relevant ?

To prove you are entitled to get an extension on a legal visa that has now expired since you got got your first extension.. Or in your world you can get an extension of stay based on your good looks ?.????.

See, fun intended.

It's a paper trail you have to conform to.

Edited by overherebc

32 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Why is it so difficult for people to accept that if they have an extension they no longer have a valid visa?

I wouldn't say that.  It was valid for admission or, in the case of an initial conversion, for a 90 day stay.  It's just that having used it for the intended purpose, you can't use it again.

5 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

But why do you have to produce a copy of the Visa you last entered the Kingdom with for every subsequent Extension if it is not relevant ?

Immigration will refer to the type of visa you came in with for your first extension.  Subsequently, they will refer to the reference number on the last extension you have.  The original visa does not come into play anymore.

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Oh I do agree with the OP but...my stamp hasn't and doesn't presently mention either 'visa' or 'extension'. It says 'Application of stay' and then 'Application of stay is permitted'. Are there any other version?

I have several extension stamps in my Passport.

Each one is worded 'Extension of stay permitted up to ......... (date stamp)

Big 'RETIREMENT' stamp across the top to denote the purpose of the extension.

Maybe your office is trying to save on the ink.

1 hour ago, yimlitnoy said:

3. the re-entry permit? 

You are not on a non immigrant 'O' visa, you are on an extension of permission to stay based on retirement.

Your non immigrant 'O' visa expired when you entered the Country if it was single entry.

If multi entry it expired on the 'enter before date'.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

We have visa based on marriage 

49 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So do I and it's my 12th/13th/14th, really can't remember. Never had an extension and never have I done 90 day reports.

Non Immigrant O ME Visas.

I often wonder what happens if you become to infirm to keep making those border runs?

4 hours ago, Dene16 said:

I for one when talking to someone also call it a retirement visa, understand exactly what someone is talking about when they mention it, and is far easier to explain to someone new when calling it exactly that. 

The only reason i would call it an extention of stay would be on here to stop the moaning moaning moaning, pedantic brigade (as someone has already stated)  trying to start a whole new topic on it over my original question.

which ever way you look at it your extention of stay is generated originally by the retirement visa.

Get a life people !!!!!!!!!

Someone else who thinks an apple is an orange, maybe....

38 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Non Immigrant O ME Visas.

I often wonder what happens if you become to infirm to keep making those border runs?

Then you switch to one of those extension things and put yourself in the hands of immigrations swerves and whims.?