What is the "stigma" about tank tops.

joeyg

How can a tank top get a fair go if you're going to call it a "wife beater"? That's an absurd name for a respectable item of clothing. IMO a tank top only looks good on a buff physique. All other please wear T-shirts.:smile:

Much better worn underneath another item of clothing!
[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Different countries and parts of countries have different dress codes, likes, dislikes, etc.   But Thais generally consider tank tops as sloppy/LoSo/laborer type dressing.   Similar to how most Thai men prefer to wear long pants vs short pants.  Different strokes for different folks.

You don't live in Issan do you.

37 minutes ago, fruitman said:

It makes a huge difference in how you get treated by the Thai..try it out, wear an expensive blouse or polo, nice expensive shorts and leather shoe's, they will even open the doors for you while waiing.

But Thai don't wear singlets, it's related with labourers and also mostly they don't have the upperbody to wear it (undeveloped).

Another fact is they don't want to get tanned but you knew that already.

I have no issues with singlets but not in the better restaurants please, at the beach is fine. Beer brand ones, fat belly, loads of tattoo's and you'll be a pattaya-farang. The best ones even have white stripes in their singlets from dried sweat.

I also wear singlets when very hot, i don't have to look hi=so cause my white skin is real and i like to have some tan.

My Thai friends don't care what i wear,that's why they are my friends.I asked this question 12 years ago and got that lovely Thai reply,"up to you". Shorts and singlet,all day every day.If you think anybody wears singlets to show off,you would be wrong.It is hot,haven't you noticed.

Just now, louse1953 said:

My Thai friends don't care what i wear,that's why they are my friends.I asked this question 12 years ago and got that lovely Thai reply,"up to you". Shorts and singlet,all day every day.If you think anybody wears singlets to show off,you would be wrong.It is hot,haven't you noticed.

Haven't you noticed that Thai never speak the truth about what they think?? They will never say something is not done, instead they say "up to you", man at your age you should know that by now.

And there are plenty men who wear singlets to show tattoo's or muscles...haven't you noticed?

2 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Thank you.  Yeah that's why I wear them.  If I was a fat pig I think I would have to rethink that though.  And there were a couple of nasty shots fired at me but no followups so it's all cool.  After all I'm wearing a sarong:biggrin:

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Haven't you noticed that Thai never speak the truth about what they think?? They will never say something is not done, instead they say "up to you", man at your age you should know that by now.

And there are plenty men who wear singlets to show tattoo's or muscles...haven't you noticed?

No tats and not bad muscles for an old fart.  I wear them for the cool breeze.

Just now, joeyg said:

No tats and not bad muscles for an old fart.  I wear them for the cool breeze.

Without tats you can't go to soi 6 pattaya. Also not without beerbrand singlet.

Just look in the Rainbow bars, they all wear a Singha/Chang singlet.

Just now, fruitman said:

Without tats you can't go to soi 6 pattaya. Also not without beerbrand singlet.

Just look in the Rainbow bars, they all wear a Singha/Chang singlet.

HAHAHA so true  there are even RedBull,  Leo, and my favorite Beer Lao now.  I've got mostly plain ones.  They let me in though because I do a dance like that guy in the video as I enter from second road...:cheesy:

32 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Have you ever asked your Thai friends... 

I wear them most of the time apart from when on the beach when I go bare chested haven't got a chang one though but I do have a leo, beer lao, red bull, Bangkok and ban krut ones that I can think of. I normally wear them with cargo shorts, flip flops and sunglasses obviously no socks as I think that is wrong.

I do have tattoos am not over weight and have a reasonable physique.

I don't really give a monkeys about what anyone thinks of me but I will dress up tidily if the occasion befits it and if going to the temple then I would always wear at least a proper t shirt.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

How can a tank top get a fair go if you're going to call it a "wife beater"? That's an absurd name for a respectable item of clothing. IMO a tank top only looks good on a buff physique. All other please wear T-shirts.:smile:

And socks up to the knees. 

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Is it so important to concern yourself with what all the Thai people are thinking of you? I don't notice any difference whether I'm wearing a tank top or a polo, in Pattaya. They are just as unfriendly both ways.:smile: If you want smiles and wais, break out the baht... doesn't matter what you're wearing.

Edited by tropo

You're referring to what is normally called a singlet, which is always worn under another item of clothing. It's an undergarment.

Tank tops, vests, singlet, wife beater, all descriptions used in different countries. In my country you wouldn't normally say singlet, it would be vest.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app