How much can the rent be increased?

Staying in a normal Thai Condo. Now the condo administration told me, that the owner of the condo will raise the rent by 66,6%!!!

Does anybody know the law and regulation about that?

And if so, what does the law say, if I rent a condo this happens. How should I deal with this? Thanks a lot.

As far as I know there are no rules here about this. Your contract applies for its duration, after which a new contract needs to be negotiated and signed. Up to you to accept or refuse or change the new terms and to leave if you dont like them.

It is very common here for owners to put up rents of commercial buildings very sharply at the end of the contract if they think that the businesses operating in them are doing well, as a result of which many of those businesses either fail or leave. You see it all the time in Pattaya. Less common for it to happen with accommodation though as there is always another empty condo next door.

OP, if you are currently staying on a daily/weekly basis, welcome to high season. Most short term rental goes up this time of year.

Most condo management dont do rentals. you are maybe staying in an apartment block (building has one owner) or an illegal hotel.

47 minutes ago, SuwadeeS said:

It is just a normal Condo. with a year contract. And after that it continious automatically.

Stay already for 2 years. 

There is no such thing as continuous. If your contract expires and not renewed, it implies that either party can terminate with a month's notice.

Should you disagree with the increase in rent, start looking for a new place.

Archived