Given up on the idea of living in Thailand

1 hour ago, JB300 said:

The link I posted (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/960761-Notification-of-residence-fine%2E-Popular-thing-%3F) was a guy in Phuket who received a 5,000THB fine for not reporting his address (own condo) when he got back from a trip (obviously he would have completed a TM6 when he arrived) & a few other people (same thread) have said the same happen to them in CM & HH.

The idea would be to live within 1-2hr drive of Swampy though I tried an experimental month (long story, took 2015 off when my previous employee tried to move me back to the UK & went travelling) living in Central Bangkok (Soi 13) & lasted 10 days so it would be some ways out of city center.

There are some extreme cases reported, which in my opinion should be challenged.

Notifying your residence on the TM6 when returning is complying with the Act.

You have notified your residence to a competent official............unless they regard IO's at Suvarnabhumi as incompetent.

It is however always advisable to check with your local Immigration office on their regulation procedures.

My own office only require a new TM30 when returning.

There are no reports on Bangkok requiring a TM28 each time you return. 

Edited by dentonian
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

I'm hear you op, it can be a major headache compared with more 'normal' places like Singapore who are a bit more switched on. Of course, it can be done, but one is forever jumping through hoops or having to quickly adapt to new rules etc. Sometimes, it just ain't worth the hassle. Someone already said it; at the end of the day they'd rather just the tourists in than full time foreigners. Heard as much direct from the horse's mouth - lieutenant of CM Imm several years ago - basically asking when I will be going back to my own country... and had a good relationship with her, polite all round. Loved up folk who are all-in here just don't see it or are possibly in denial. It does have its pluses, of course, fantastic place, but sometimes it is just a hassle.

There is a very easy way in Thailand - called the Elite 5year visa. 

13 minutes ago, dentonian said:

There are some extreme cases reported, which in my opinion should be challenged.

Notifying your residence on the TM6 when returning is complying with the Act.

You have notified your residence to a competent official............unless they regard IO's at Suvarnabhumi as incompetent.

It is however always advisable to check with your local Immigration office on their regulation procedures.

My own office only require a new TM30 when returning.

There are no reports on Bangkok requiring a TM28 each time you return. 

The housemaster needs to do the TM30, not the visa-holder.  TM28 is only for *changes* in address. 

.... and - yes -- you're spot-on about the reports. So many people like to make difficulties instead of solving them, and from some of the styles of posting it's no surprise they get the treatment from immigration.  It costs nothing to be polite. ;)

the forms...

icon_doc.gificon_pdf.gif Form for Aliens to Notify Their Change of Address or Their Stay in the Province over 24 Hours (TM.28)
icon_doc.gificon_pdf.gif Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay (TM.30)
Edited by jpinx

19 minutes ago, jpinx said:

My Visa was dead the minute I entered Thailand. IO scribbled USED across it at Suvarnabhumi.

1 hour ago, dentonian said:

My Visa was dead the minute I entered Thailand. IO scribbled USED across it at Suvarnabhumi.

Quite normal on a single entry. The entry has been done.

I would assume if you wanted to go to say Vietnam during the 90 days a re-entry permit would get you stamped back in until the last day of your original 90.

15 hours ago, steve187 said:

you do whats best for you, but to say its all because of tm28, what a load of rubbish, most people never complete one, some posters are going overboard with their scaremongering views on the subject.

Agree! It is posters on TV that are putting people off living in Thailand NOT the Thai Government.

I would go for a retirement extension of stay based on income (baht 65k/month) with a multiple entry reentry permit. Given your pattern of travel you will never do a 90 day report.

Try Bangkok Bank Asok branch. They are very foreigner friendly. I opened an account with them on a visa except entry.

Many immigration offices are reasonable and only require you to lodge the TM28 once.

If you do anything related to your overseas employment while you are here keep it quietly to yourself.

Relax and enjoy...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dentonian said:

The OP stated he would actually cease working if retiring in Thailand, so the income method wouldn't be an option.

He would need to deposit 800,000THB in a Thai bank as financial proof.

Hopefully he would still have an incomeof some sort. Pension? Investments? So if this was over 65k/month he could still use the income method.

6 hours ago, dentonian said:

Agree with what your saying, but the OP hasn't stated he has such an income from investments or private pension.

Only stated he had sizeable assets. ($$$$$$)

Hopefully his sizeable assets are earning some income rather than just lazing around in a bank account somewhere.

Hopefully his sizeable assets are earning some income rather than just lazing around in a bank account somewhere.

At the moment I'm working so no problem hitting the 65k income limit if I can use employment in Singapore as earnings.

Also have a passive income of approx £23k pa but approx 50% of this gets rolled over into being reinvested (mainly through the likes of scrip dividends) so no confidence that IM would accept it.

As I said, I'm by no means rich but meeting the financial obligation is not the problem,it's more the thought of having to visit Immigration on a more than monthly basis to report my address that's putting me off (honestly thought the TM6 would satisfy that requirement, now it seems you need a TM30/28 on top )

But I guess if I limit my accommodation choices to hotels & (well run) condos that will be somebody else's problem

Thanks for all the advice guys, I am here to learn so really appreciate it [emoji1303]

9 hours ago, JB300 said:

The link I posted (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/960761-Notification-of-residence-fine%2E-Popular-thing-%3F) was a guy in Phuket who received a 5,000THB fine for not reporting his address (own condo) when he got back from a trip (obviously he would have completed a TM6 when he arrived) & a few other people (same thread) have said the same happen to them in CM & HH.

The idea would be to live within 1-2hr drive of Swampy though I tried an experimental month (long story, took 2015 off when my previous employee tried to move me back to the UK & went travelling) living in Central Bangkok (Soi 13) & lasted 10 days so it would be some ways out of city center.

tm30 as owner, not tm28 moved address

Removed a troll post with incorrect information.

Sorry, can I ask if you removed my reply to post #72 saying I understood the TM6 removed the need for the individual to file a TM30/28 or is the forum software playing up again?

I know the rule about commenting on mods actions but I only ask because the forum software has been somewhat less than stable lately.

Incidentally, I'm sure you have a wealth of IT experience in the membership here so couldn't hurt to provide a platform for them to do some testing for you (obviously FOC as none of us have a work permit for that kind of thing [emoji13])

Best Regards

JB

• Like 1

On 12/31/2016 at 0:18 AM, steve187 said:

you do whats best for you, but to say its all because of tm28, what a load of rubbish, most people never complete one, some posters are going overboard with their scaremongering views on the subject.

Yes, I do renewals of my retirement extension at Jomtien and they are content with a photocopy of my condo deed and a recent monthly condo utility bill. Other offices may have different requirements of course. Never did a T.28 or T.30 althought maybe 5 or more the condo manager sent information of all foreign residents in the building. Nothing has been requested or submitted since then.

...some posters are going overboard with their scaremongering views on the subject.

Agree. I never had a problem opening a bank account nor have I found getting the O/A and doing the annual extensions in subsequent years all that difficult. And for those who are very lazy or challenged by it all, there are lawyers or agencies that could make it even easier.

The mountain out of a mole hill syndrome at work for some.

• Like 1

They want us here. I know it is odd. But, I hear Western countries are stricter for Thais going abroad to visit! No one complains about this on TV? It could be a tit for tat, losing-face, or trying to mimic the West. How many Thais cannot even go to the West? How many forms do they need to fill?

The banks do like us. At 800 K on a savings account for 3 months guaranteed, this is good bank business. Follow the money too. <removed>

We are spending good money to live here. Rimping is loving us. 

Odd to hear that the OP could not retire using his pension.

We are not insignificant.

Edited by ubonjoe
off topic comment removed

On 31/12/2016 at 0:11 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

You can get a multi entry on a retirement visa, I got one, so not reporting to immigration but fly out/in as I pleases. 

I have 4 bank accounts here in Thailand in 3 different banks and never had a work permit.

You seems well off, you can easily live here, IF you want.

I'm intending to go to savannkhet to get a non O,would much prefer a multi based on retirement. I have the correct paper work approved by my Embassy in Bangkok. Where did you get yours?

On 12/31/2016 at 6:20 AM, ezzra said:

Each to his own really, your predicaments are unique to yourself only, every other

foreigner in Thailand has it's own reasons and calculations why he's here,

and many of them are still here year after year, asking other people to convince

you or give you a valid reasons why you should live or leave Thailand will only make

you more confused......

Very well said.

On 12/31/2016 at 6:57 AM, stevenl said:

You don't need the money in a Thai bank to apply for the visa. Apply for the visa with overseas money, come to Thailand with non immigrant-O visa, open bank account and deposit 800k, apply for extension of stay.
Easy and painless process.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I don't trust Thailand enough to put 800.000Bt in my bank account. I would rather leave it in my own countrys bank.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimlek said:

I'm intending to go to savannkhet to get a non O,would much prefer a multi based on retirement. I have the correct paper work approved by my Embassy in Bangkok. Where did you get yours?

Not sure he has a visa. It sounds like he may have an extension of stay based upon retirement with multiple re-entry permit. The reporting he would be avoiding is 90 day reports.

Penang is the only place that has been confirmed as issuing a multiple entry non-o visa for retirement if you show the same financial proof as needed for an extension.

35 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I don't trust Thailand enough to put 800.000Bt in my bank account. I would rather leave it in my own countrys bank.

I agree. However I'm in the fortunate position of someone in Thailand having loaned me 800,000 baht which is a back-to-back fully secured loan by me to him in another country

4 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I agree. However I'm in the fortunate position of someone in Thailand having loaned me 800,000 baht which is a back-to-back fully secured loan by me to him in another country

800K locked up is not needed if you use the income method ;)

54 minutes ago, jimlek said:

Non Imm O ME Visas are usually only issued to those with a Thai wife/family.

Savannakhet is the only Consulate that will issue Visas without any proof of funds.

What Visa are you currently on?

What is your approved paperwork from your Embassy?

You may qualify for an extension based on retirement from your local Immigration office.

20 minutes ago, jpinx said:

800K locked up is not needed if you use the income method ;)

It only has to be locked up for 3 months prior to your application.

Saying that, I get much better interest rates in Thailand than back in good old blighty.

So mine is locked in by choice.

Depends on what you want out of life. Helluva lot better for many than suffering the cold of a northern European winter for example. Lots of golf, bike-riding, hash-house harriers etc etc - food is pretty good too. Lots of nice people, both locals and expats. Why not give it a try for 6 months or so? You  are not short of a bob, and I fear you will find bureaucracy and paper work/ rules and regs everywheere. There is a stack of it in Singers!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

And have a regular income

Obviously ;) I only mention the income method because a lot of people don't know how it works, and the advantage of not needing a bank account in Thailand, and the interest that can be earned on the 800K if placed correctly.

10 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Obviously ;) I only mention the income method because a lot of people don't know how it works, and the advantage of not needing a bank account in Thailand, and the interest that can be earned on the 800K if placed correctly.

Plus of course with some embassies you can tell a pack of bare-faced lies because that's all they're certifying - that you told them, not that it's true