Abhisit urges politicians to restore public faith, warns against return to status quo

webfact

Abhisit urges politicians to restore public faith, warns against return to status quo
By KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN 
THE NATION

4535b3a697661e95004aa1d42bb088f8.jpeg

Abhisit

BANGKOK: -- DEMOCRAT PARTY leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has called on politicians to embrace change in the New Year and revive the public’s faith in politicians, as the country approaches the last phase of the “road map to democracy”.

With the first general election after the 2014 coup set to take place this year, the former prime minister said voters would once again have a chance to make their choice. But if they made the same choice, they could not expect a different result, Abhisit said.

At a year-end press briefing, Abhisit said the focal point in politics in 2017 would shift from the Constitution and writing of laws to the general election. As the country steps into the third phase of the road map, it is not yet clear whether the election would take place this year or early next year.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30303268

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-02

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"With the first general election after the 2014 coup set to take place this year, the former prime minister said voters would once again have a chance to make their choice. But if they made the same choice, they could not expect a different result, Abhisit said."

It could not be more clearly expressed. If they choose  the same winning party as in previous elections, voters can expect the same type of retaliation as before. :)

there is going to be an election?  Exactly what posts are open to being elected?  And even if there are elections, I would think the Thais would be so unininterested and dispassionate about them because they know that at any time the next military coup may happen?

If the return to status Quo is the result,  I predict knowing the nature of the beast,  it will be , then another coup has gone by and nothing achieved , although it would be preferable for the people to elect the Prime Minister, at the end of the day at least for the present  grenades aren't going off at random in markets places, no militia being formed throughout the Kingdom and we have no nominations for any amnesties.......................................................:coffee1:.

15 minutes ago, chainarong said:

If the return to status Quo is the result,  I predict knowing the nature of the beast,  it will be , then another coup has gone by and nothing achieved , although it would be preferable for the people to elect the Prime Minister, at the end of the day at least for the present  grenades aren't going off at random in markets places, no militia being formed throughout the Kingdom and we have no nominations for any amnesties.......................................................:coffee1:.

There's one massive big amnesty in operation at the moment. Not saying which one. Take off your blinkers.

if the public ever had faith in Thai politicians it was very misguided - the expansion and spread of social media across Thailand will now make it very difficult for graft - they will all be called out

Which is why the defamation laws need to be amended - the public need to be able to ask questions when leaders are suspected of corruption or cheating, of all the people that need to be held to account - politicians are right at the top of the list - and yes the military should be held accountable too but since they are the ones implementing these reforms then lets put that one to side for the moment, their turn will come

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

there is going to be an election?  Exactly what posts are open to being elected?  And even if there are elections, I would think the Thais would be so unininterested and dispassionate about them because they know that at any time the next military coup may happen?

a government is being elected and if they follow the rules and do their jobs then they will be allowed to govern unimpeded ............................. it really is that simple, they will be held to account and if they cross the line will be dealt with - that is how it should be

Unlike in The West, never does he ask the question why he doesn't ever win an election!

Until the middle classes of Bangkok - more or less represented by Abhisit and his party - ally themselves with the majority of Thais (ie the rural poor) and develop policies for the rural poor and policies that benefit everyone, Thailand has no future, at least no democratic future.

Mr. Nonevent has no credibility inside or outside of Thailand.  Agreed what he said about the charter being crap, but the Thai population had only two choices when voting : the junta and a chance at elections.  Can't fault the Thais for taking the best of two bad options.  Nonevent's reputation was a casualty of that vote, but he was right.  

1 hour ago, smedly said:

a government is being elected and if they follow the rules and do their jobs then they will be allowed to govern unimpeded ............................. it really is that simple, they will be held to account and if they cross the line will be dealt with - that is how it should be

Do you really think anything is simple in Thailand? :cheesy:  , "they will be held to account and if they cross the line will be dealt with - that is how it should be", of course it is, but this is Thailand.

Ahbisit will need to restore public faith to himself. Twice boycotting elections, colluding with the military to form a government and appearing on anti-democracy demonstrator stages are not the type of behavior of a leader of the oldest party called inappropriately the Democratic Party. 

Abhisit is right when the election finally arrives if the Reds win they will lose oen way or another if you vote for him he would become PM and he would have 4 years to start and return to a true democratic system and it would only be a start politics moves rather slowly.

Would Abhisit be a better interim solution than the current administration? There are those who would think he would just be a puppet of the military who would always be in the background, you might think that, I could not possibly comment on that but when the elections come I think he would be the best option of a longer term solution.

The military must surely understand, they are very clever people after all, that to keep intervening in the running of the country is not viewed well outside of the country and if it becomes the default solution then the country's status in the world would diminish, the country has to find its own democracy, its own model which works for it and it wont be easy.

Edited by nong38
spelling and missing words

7 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK: -- DEMOCRAT PARTY leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has called on politicians to embrace change in the New Year and revive the public’s faith in politicians, as the country approaches the last phase of the “road map to democracy”.

There is something Jekyll and Hyde about this guy. He reminds me of a guy fishing in 2 bodies of water at the same time. There is no better offence than a good defense. Don't sell this guy short. 

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

There's one massive big amnesty in operation at the moment. Not saying which one. Take off your blinkers.

OK now you got me guessing. Do you have any proof or is it just poof off the top of your head. I know my mind can play tricks on me now how about yours??